Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 21:11   #76
BHPian

Just did. The Pierburg pump that originally came on my car (same make pump as your's) was of a sealed design, with cleanable filter similar to that on your pump. Since it was a sealed design, when the diaphraghm went bad, no option but to replace it. New one does not have a built in secondary filter.

BTW, what size of hose (ID) are you using for the fuel?
Old 20th May 2008, 22:45   #77
BANNED

Byas

I am able to remove the diaphgram and replace if it goes wrong.

The fuel hose is a 5 mm one which is of 1 ft long and i've continued a copper pipe upto the fuel filter at the engine compartment.

This done becoz the original fuel lines get corroded over some point of time. Copper doesnt.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:35   #78
BHPian

Posting after a long time.

Over the past year, I've been working off and on (was out of the country for a while) on removing the current top and replacing with a new top -- including all the layers. Here are some pics of this...

First, strip down the old top.

Next recondition the frame and fit new front header bow and rear tack strips. The header bow was complicated as the first one was incorrect and the second one also needed quite a bit of work to fit correctly.

The wood tack strips also had to be planed and modified for correctness.

Then I test fitted the headliner -- turned out it needed some modification too -- aargh!!

Pics in reverse order (sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2019800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2028800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2023800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2075.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2076.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2093.jpg  

Last edited by 71Convertible : 2nd February 2009 at 22:36. Reason: typo
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:03   #79
BHPian

Then the headliner was fitted along with new tapes to position the rear bows correctly. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of variation on the specs so it took me quite a while to get it correct.

Next the rear window frame was reconditioned, painted, and a new synthetic tack strip mounted.

Then the rear window frame along with rear pads were mounted. Again, the pads were incorrect so I had to make my own pads.

The next layer in the top pad. It consists of a wrap which as to be first installed then the foam and then the wrap folds over the foam.

Just installed the this top pad wrap. The foam is the wrong size (short by 4 inches) %&!## so I'll need to go buy some new foam.
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_0201800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_0205800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_0210800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_0212800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_0204800.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 11:47   #80
Team-BHP Support

Keep it coming, DIY at its best! Like your garage especially the tools you have managed to collect

Frame is powder coated or painted?
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:12   #81
BHPian

Painted.

Getting the right tools have been important. you learn as you go. Improvising is also key.

Byas
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:27   #82
BHPian

Byas,
Mamma mia, this effort of yours is the mother of all DIY. The sheer determination is unbelievable. Most professionals would not manage this kind of finish, let alone amateur DIY.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:20   #83
BHPian

Byas, that is one mammoth DIY. Glad you resolved all the issues on your own. Well Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Like your garage especially the tools you have managed to collect
Yes, very nice collection of tools. I simply love the Red 'Craftsman' Tool Rack\Trolley in the corner (Seen in one of the pictures on top of the workbench).
Old 25th April 2009, 12:48   #84
BHPian

Back on the road again... !!!!

Finally, finished the top installation this past week.

Pics to follow...
Old 25th April 2009, 13:12   #85
Team-BHP Support

Great going, look forward to seeing it in the car park again. The monsoons will really test things!
Old 25th April 2009, 13:13   #86
BHPian

Continuing from where I left off... got the foam issue sorted out and installed the foam and wrapped up the padding cover (turns out I didn't take any pics :( ).

Next step was to cut out the headliner and staple it to the rear window bow. -- Took my time with that, as cutting incorrectly could be BAD.

That went well. So, I thought I'd see if the top would fold ok. I put the top down and the pulled it up -- Disaster...

I had added some padding on the top of the rear window frame. And there was too much tension and it caused the rear rubber tack strip (which sits inside the window frame to separate from the frame at the top). AAargh!!!

Removing the window frame would require the reversal of all the work I had done so far. So, I let it sit for a few days while I calmed down.

Took a vacation in Borneo (it was great)

Then with a fresh set of eyes, I looked over the damage. First I cut away the extra padding. The tack strip had separated only at the very top of the frame for about 4-5". Without removing the frame, I drilled a hole at the top, inserted some heavy duty adhesive into the gap between the strip and the frame, put in a screw to close the gap, clamped it and let it sit 48 hours. The tack strip was secure after that.

Then it was the final stage -- the top cover. Called my bro over to help me install and we started on Sat at 10am. By lunch we had the top installed to the front wood bow and to the sides. The alignment on the seams of the top is critical and we took our time.

Next we had to insert the rear of the top into the channel on the body at the back and get a cable to pull the top material into the channel. This took a while as the top material is pretty thick.

By 4 the top was on. See below. I decided to stop as I was going to for a 20K off-road bike ride with a bunch of neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7311-800.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 13:28   #87
Team-BHP Support

No plastic window there?
Old 25th April 2009, 13:46   #88
BHPian

Next step was to install the rear window. But, before that I decided to seal the canvas top. Recently I found some stores carrying Sonax products. I found the main importer is in Blore. So went to their warehouse and picked up a bunch of supplies. I used their water proofing spray here. You can see the results below with the water beading up on the top after the application. (I also used this spray on my Vectra fabric seats, sneakers, etc -- worked really well).

Next, I cut through the top and stapled the top to the window frame. Then I installed the rear window. Rubbed some soap along the mounting edge of the frame, ran some thread around the rubber beading of the glass and got help in pushing the glass in while I seated the seal on the mounting lip. It took a couple of tries, but it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7336-800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7322-800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7329.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7332.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_7334.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 13:51   #89
BHPian

NOt quite done... (but the car is now streetable).

Install the window and top front bow seal (actually I've done most of it as of now -- just 2 seals left to go).

Finish up the headliner inside at the back.

Adjust the side windows so they align well with the new seals.

But, the big test was putting the top down and up -- would everything hold together. Well, it did.

I'm feeling very happy right now for having completed a fairly complex install with a good result to show (fingers are always crossed )

Byas
Old 25th April 2009, 14:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

great to see a DIY Beetle.the final outcome seems to be good and pristine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks