Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 11:30   #1

Can anyone answer these scooter questions?

I am coming to India (flying into Mumbai) in March in search of the following:

A top quality source for spare parts for the Vespa VBB 150cc model (1960-67) What company is the best for this?

I understand that brand new frames for this model are being produced in India. Where can I find these?

I am interested in buying and shipping back to the US a brand new non geared sccoter that is currently not being sold in the US. Any ideas on the best one?

Is there anyone that is modifying brand new scooters to look vintage?

Has anyone installing a non geared engine into a 1960's vespa frame?

What city in India should I be spending my time to accomplish these tasks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 16th February 2008, 14:40   #2
BHPian

well i dont know which scooter is currently being sold in the US but some scooters you can try from here are the new Kinetic SYM Flyte or the Blaze or the Access or Activa ..
I ride the flyte and like it a lot and it doesnt have big wait unlike the Access/Activa
Blaze is a very different, big "man's" scooter

really dont know about the Vespa spares or modifications etc. I guess u can try bombay as everything is available there
Old 16th February 2008, 14:48   #3
BHPian

you can try pacer yamaha in bangalore. though its a yamaha dealership, lots of vespa mods go on there. they do a pretty good job of restoring 60s vespa scooters. but rather pricey i am told.
Old 16th February 2008, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

The best non geared scooter you can take back to the US from here is easily the HONDA ACTIVA.
Old 16th February 2008, 18:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Rogan: The Vespa VBB frames would not be available as such because it was never produced in India, but has been assembled in India by Bajaj for a limited period a very long time ago.

I think the Bajaj Priya (with 8"wheels) frame would match the VBB. But the side boxes and the front fenders wouldn't be a match. If it's the 10"model then you should look for the Bajaj Chetak (older models) frame. I don't know if the frames are interchangeable between the 8" and the 10". The headlamp nacelle and the meter of the Chetak is very similar to that of the VBB.

You should be able to find the parts of this scooter in any major city and the local junkyards would be a good source.

Are you thinking to retrofit a gearless motor onto the VBB frame?

Kinetic Blaze would be ideal for the US because it has a relatively larger engine at 160cc. The new entrants in the Indian market are Kinetic SYM Flyte and the Suzuki Access both with 125cc engines.

Most of the other models are all in the 100cc category.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th February 2008 at 18:34.
Old 16th February 2008, 18:55   #6
BHPian

I don't know much about the spares. cant suggest for sure, u should try the older parts of the city, as people around... you should be able to find the spares or matching ones...coz there are a similar 2stroke scooters on the road.

For the non-geared scooter you can look into Suzuki Access, Kinetic flyte, kinetic blaze( but it isn't like an orthodox scooter in looks), Honda Dio, Honda Activa( i guess kinetic already exports to the US )

Modifying an oldie with a new engine sounds good. Wish i could Transplant a 100CC++ non-gear 4S engine into a Lamretta or the old vespa!!
(ps- i just remember faintly.....LML-Vespa...LML used to produce Vespa's here in india...)

Last edited by gendarmee : 16th February 2008 at 19:00.
Old 16th February 2008, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rogan,

Welcome to Team Bhp

I am not very sure if you would find this India, who dont you check out France & Italy for this ? They still have lots of Vespas running on street

I seriously doubt they are still producing them in India as Both LML & Bajaj have stopped making scooters.

I am not sure if the scooters being manufactured here would get the right environmental clearances in US

There aren't much new age scooters that can be made to look like Vintage.

One thing you can do is pick up an old scooter like lambretta etc & restore it but it would take some searching to do.

hope this helps
Old 16th February 2008, 20:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried contacting LML in Kanpur. They might be making side engine scoots for export.
Old 16th February 2008, 20:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

The last I knew LML is closed down. So I doubt they are producing anything at all. somebody correct me if I am wrong
Old 16th February 2008, 20:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

LML is not making any Vespa's aymore. And the particular scooter in question; the Vespa VBB has it's nearest match in the Bajaj Priya & early Chetaks. LML never made the VBB series.
Old 16th February 2008, 20:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The last I knew LML is closed down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
LML is not making any Vespa's aymore.
yeah, LML have closed down long ago....I thought that info could help in getting spares, what i thought was that Old LML-Vespa spares would match more than the Baja spares, and as there are a lot of those 2T scooters still getting spares shouldnt be impossible. I didn't mean getting the frames though, just the spares..
Old 16th February 2008, 21:05   #12
BHPian

[quote]orginally by[archie]

well i dont know which scooter is currently being sold in the US but some scooters you can try from here are the new Kinetic SYM Flyte or the Blaze or the Access or Activa ..
I ride the flyte and like it a lot and it doesnt have big wait unlike the Access/Activa
Blaze is a very different, big "man's" scooter

By saying activa and access has got big waiting period are u trying to say it has got a big demand???

If so are they better than Flyte???

What do u mean by Blaze is "Big Man's" scooter ???

The Topic is for a Ungeared scooter For America and not for a GIRL or BOY pls read the topic properly and answer in the forum .
Old 16th February 2008, 21:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
By saying activa and access has got big waiting period are u trying to say it has got a big demand???
First of all keep one thread's discussion to that thread.
next, please dont argue. have a healthy debate instead, every one on the forum is gonna play judge.
U'r likely to get another infraction, if u post like that.
Old 16th February 2008, 22:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Modifying an oldie with a new engine sounds good. Wish i could Transplant a 100CC++ non-gear 4S engine into a Lamretta or the old vespa!!

OT: I had an old Chetak a long time ago and i was a part of an online scooter community called the Scooterbbs. This was many years ago. And while on that board i have come across old Vespa's retrofitted with the RD350YPVS engines putting out more than 50horses!!

And then there were Lambrettas with go faster goodies, chambers and liquid cooling and 250cc+ engine capacities and disc brakes which used to do nasty speeds!
Old 17th February 2008, 05:24   #15

Thanks all for your responses. they have been helpful.

actually found a source for brand new vbb frames, forks, headsets, ect.

can anyone direct me to a source for engine cases for a VBB vespa 150.

There is a company that imports LML scooters to the US as 'Stellas' somehow they are able to get around the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) law and get a 2-stroke engine in. Does anyone know how this was done or if anyone can figure out how to simply get LML's into the US legally

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks