Team-BHP - Need to adopt a VW Beetle or an Austin Minor
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Need to adopt a VW Beetle or an Austin Minor (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/35711-need-adopt-vw-beetle-austin-minor.html)

Heya! Reilly here from Mumbai. And here's my first post to Team-BHP. I'm a crazy vintage car lover and I'm interested in buying a VW Beetle / Austin Minor.

Please if anyone has any info as to where I can look for these cars in and around Mumbai / Maharashtra, do let me know.

Welcome abaord. You could start by keeping your eye on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...available.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilly (Post 726767)
Heya! Reilly here from Mumbai. And here's my first post to Team-BHP. I'm a crazy vintage car lover and I'm interested in buying a VW Beetle / Austin Minor.

Please if anyone has any info as to where I can look for these cars in and around Mumbai / Maharashtra, do let me know.

dude as far as Betles go its a " finders Keepers" scenario out there..but welcome aboard.:)

What's the budget buddy,

There are quite a few Bugs for sale in Bangalore.

Pm me with the details

Heya Pavan

Not really sure of the budget, as I'm really really new to this. All I know is that I've always loved classic cars and I've always wanted to own one. That's the reason I've joined this forum to learn more about the same.

Look forward to your help.
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 729252)
What's the budget buddy,

There are quite a few Bugs for sale in Bangalore.

Pm me with the details

Can you give more details on these please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilly (Post 726767)

Austin Minor......you mean Morris Minor? Or the Austin 7hp ("baby" Austin?)

prices range from 1.50 upto 8.50 lacs depending on the condition, year of manufacture and originality

Quote:

Originally Posted by (IVI) (Post 732018)
prices range from 1.50 upto 8.50 lacs depending on the condition, year of manufacture and originality

Hello Guys ,

1.5 to 8.5 is way to high for Beetle infact for most of the classics or vintage cars when you reach the 8.5 levels you are into actual classics.

True Story : Dated March 2007
I was offered a Beetle spare part car , for Rs 7000 the car did not have any mudguards or fenders or meters but was useful as a parts car and could have been undertaken as a restoration project with the right enthusiasm . My person quoted a price of Rs 3000.

This is a actual true story.

It is the middlemen who are driving the price up.

So if you are a true enthusiast , drive out to the boondocks till you get the right car . Give your self a range, talk to people , trace cars as a pastime / hobby -
there are cars out there , available at the right and at prices which are not obscene.

Go get them..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 732469)
True Story : Dated March 2007
I was offered a Beetle spare part car , for Rs 7000 the car did not have any mudguards or fenders or meters but was useful as a parts car and could have been undertaken as a restoration project with the right enthusiasm . My person quoted a price of Rs 3000.

While I wont comment on what is a good price and what is a bad price, as there is no fixed value, let me say 7000 rupees is a great price! Gone are the days when you could pick up an even junked Beetle for 10k. Sorry sir, the market is nothing like it used to be. If you have been fortunate enough to find cars at these prices, what are you waiting for? 3000 for a Beetle is not a buy, but a gift! Do the math at even scrap value, and it will be a much much higher figure. Im sure every garage owner with a little common sense knows that by now, so would rather scrap it, fortunately or unfortunately.

one advertised here

Questionable description though. Hardly 1996, yet alone 76! somewhere between 68-72

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 732517)
one advertised here

Questionable description though. Hardly 1996, yet alone 76! somewhere between 68-72

Its a 69
Saw the car on Carter road last year and flagged him down. Jolly old chap, car moved well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 732481)
Gone are the days when you could pick up an even junked Beetle for 10k. Sorry sir, the market is nothing like it used to be.

While I may be going :OT here, 'just want to add that its the same even in case of fiats/heralds!

Not more than 7-8 years ago, you could get a restorable herald/old fiat here for below 10k from the scrappers.....and now those guys themselves are ready to pay 16-17k for these kinda cars!
Unfortunately this also means that many owners of these cars also see this as the maximum they could get for cars like these and readily dispose them off at such offers!

Vintageman,

I agree with Vikram and karlos, and disagree with you.

Price of a Beetle is a very subjective matter.

Yes you can get a car at 1.5 lacs and also at 8 lacs.

These days its an impossibility to get a Beetle in Bangalore for even 2 lacs.

And even at 2 lacs there's another 2 lacs that has to be spent on it to look like one Beetle.

With a Beetle club around the city no middleman dares play around with the prices.

The VW Beetle that Ajmat(Moderator) has mentioned is for sale at a bomb price of 4 lacs.

Karlos yes, i am looking out for a millicento,or a Herald and the asking price is a mimimum of Rs. 60 k.

Classics have risen for the only reason that they are easy to maintain with spares available and yes with its own charm.

You can only admire a Vintage but can get floored only by a Classic.

I guess 4682 is an Andheri car and was always driven by a lady driver. It is a very very well maintained car. Was for sale for around 1.5 lakhs a few years ago when my dad inquired about it when he was doing up another Beetle.