Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 19:11   #46
BHPian

guys really great job , luv this beauty to see as it was full in glory earlier , the way its shapping up now seems not too late to see it on roads rolling.
Old 8th May 2009, 20:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Oh Dear!. I wouldn't have bothered with a finny that had rusted to that extent.
My My some people are spoilt arent they Buddy in India we have to work with what we find especially with crazy import duties and restictions most times its impossible to import parts forget entire cars. But atleast the classic car brotherhood grows by the day, and more and more of these beauties are being saved even if they are local grounds up restorations.

But I tend to agree with you a decade ago no one would have touhed this car, but today is another story.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:14   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunkr View Post
guys really great job , luv this beauty to see as it was full in glory earlier , the way its shapping up now seems not too late to see it on roads rolling.
Yes Arjun,

I am running against time to get the first coat of paint by the end of this month. This car has been a eyesore for me since the last 2 years, atleast its shaped up well till now. So far so good, lets hope for the best. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
My My some people are spoilt arent they Buddy in India we have to work with what we find especially with crazy import duties and restictions most times its impossible to import parts forget entire cars. But atleast the classic car brotherhood grows by the day, and more and more of these beauties are being saved even if they are local grounds up restorations.

But I tend to agree with you a decade ago no one would have touched this car, but today is another story.

Agree mole,

Even off-late no tinkers touched this car for the fear of time and workmanship required, and even if somebody took it, they defaulted during the process. Brat001(Owner) of this car and myself spent lot of time getting people work on this. We've got a good team right now, lets hope for the best.

With limited technology and expertise at hand, we have no choice but to compromise of few changes during restoration. I still plan to keep it simple and upto the point during this restoration.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

But I tend to agree with you a decade ago no one would have touhed this car, but today is another story.
Hi,I understand the situation completely!. In new Zealand, Over 30 years ago we had the same problem . Getting Chevrolet parts was almost impossible because import restrictions made us circumvent the rules. What we did was buy unused import quotas ( importers had to apply annually for a license to import anything ,so they often had portions of licenses unused at the end of a year)we would use them to bring in parts we needed such as engines etc. And...I was also on a pitiful apprentice wage ,but where there is a will there is a way!. Here in Australia importing parts is as easy as looking on Ebay.
I guess I should have expressed my admiration for your efforts better in preserving a Mercedes..
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:17   #50
BANNED

A Full Stop.......

Guys,

Call it a jinx or whatever.

The Merc project has now again come to a full STAND STILL

The painter who was presently working on the car has just upped his price by another few thousands of rupees. Which is basically un-ethical.

2 weeks of no work, we have pulled out the car from the workshop.

Its headed to another workshop and yet another craftsman, who by gods will and wish will complete the rest of the work by end of June

Will update soon....
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

god. These guys are all like that. Chalo at least you got to know of his dubious nature early. The earlier the better. Waiting to see the restoration take shape by June.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:01   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
god. These guys are all like that. Chalo at least you got to know of his dubious nature early. The earlier the better. Waiting to see the restoration take shape by June.
Through june the 190D took lot of undoing job rather than finishing, The previous tinker and painter had made it a lump of metal and metal paste.

Thankfully the new painter Mr Murthy has been taking care of the car very well and sticking to his budget and also time : ) hopefully the coming week the 190D will see the first coat of paint over the years of waiting.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5762.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5763.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5764.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5765.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5766.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5767.jpg  

Old 6th July 2009, 23:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the bonnet and fenders are looking nice ! Hope to see some action soon.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:26   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow, the bonnet and fenders are looking nice ! Hope to see some action soon.
Looks like this 2 yr old project has finally found some light.

Updates as on today:

1) The car is now completely prepared for painting
2) Just few spots needs to be checked
3) One good wash required

Poor thing has seen lot of seasons, hope it finds peace now. By this weekend, the car will be painted and hopefully out of the workshop for futher fitment.

The price at present has skyrocketed, cant say how damn high, BUT TOO HIGH, anyways, its seeing completion soon.

Will post pics soon....
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:50   #55
BANNED

Now for some regular updates on the project.

First coat of paint done

4 more days, the final coat will be ON and the Merc will head straight to the Electricians place for wiring, which will be followed by upholstery and engine startup process

Some pics to do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5877.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5878.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5879.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5881.jpg  

Mercedes Fin Tail 190D-Restoration-cimg5882.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2009, 16:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

No wonder restoring these beauties is not every body's cup of tea. Kudos to you kadam for being so persistent. Wish you luck and hope you get this beauty rolling in all its glory.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:35   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
No wonder restoring these beauties is not every body's cup of tea. Kudos to you kadam for being so persistent. Wish you luck and hope you get this beauty rolling in all its glory.

Thank you very much buddy

When it comes to restoration, you need to be persistent all the time, i am still learning.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:57   #58
BHPian

i have many parts for the 190d. let me know if u need anything.
Old 7th August 2009, 23:10   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
i have many parts for the 190d. let me know if u need anything.
, thanks for chipping in at the right time.

Monday afternoon, the Final coat of paint going on the 190D

Once it comes to sprucing it up cosmetically, lot of things might be wanted, please share what parts you can provide.

Thanks for the help again.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:13   #60
BHPian

Chicken Masala on the hoof ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks