Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 21:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
It may be my failing eyesight, or something to do with the sense of perspective, but this Travellers body seems to be folding up in the middle to me (at the B-Pillar)!
i know what is your problem. the woody was actually based on the standard station wagon. so the rear panels was an extension of the car itself. whereas the hood was different as it was fitted later along with the wood. the hood upto the front doors is a piece but then its another. so it looks kind of a bank. see the photo carefully. this is not the case for a steel station wagon.
Old 17th May 2008, 07:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

1965 Morris in BLR

Sorry for the bad pic with the burnt area.

Spotted this today morning in Jayanagar (almost opposite Barista on 9th main). The elderly gentleman driving the car said it's a 1965 model, with the original engine.

The badge on the side of the bonnet said Minor 1100, while the rear door sports a "MORRIS". It had a central speedo, and looked well cared for.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Travellers In India.-morris-1965.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 08:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sorry for the bad pic with the burnt area.

Spotted this today morning in Jayanagar (almost opposite Barista on 9th main). The elderly gentleman driving the car said it's a 1965 model, with the original engine.

The badge on the side of the bonnet said Minor 1100, while the rear door sports a "MORRIS". It had a central speedo, and looked well cared for.
That's a morris minor woody traveller! Looks to be in great shape. Is is the same one as this??
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Travellers In India.-wood.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 09:21   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
That's a morris minor woody traveller! Looks to be in great shape. Is is the same one as this??
If it is, I remember the vehicle being regularly used in Pune till a couple of years ago. Incidentally a leaf green OHV Minor 1000 traveller is on my wishlist.
Old 17th May 2008, 09:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If it is, I remember the vehicle being regularly used in Pune till a couple of years ago. Incidentally a leaf green OHV Minor 1000 traveller is on my wishlist.
Oh yes! Mine too!! Along with a 115 and a Mk1 amby/landy. Oops, LandO!!!
Old 18th May 2008, 08:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
JayD : That's a morris minor woody traveller! ... Is is the same one as this??
Yes - the regn number is the same.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I also came across these on a flickr album.
Which Album? Can you please provide a link?

Quote:
Nice pic of the blue woody Karl. This car is also in Tvm, In current use, but lacks originality. Its diesel, and the interiors have been tampered with.

Also, KRT seems to be a Re Reg, This number is from an End-1975 series, whereas the car is a 58 model.
I don't know anything about that, but I have been seeing this car as long as I remember, but I'm only 25. It's my cousins' family car, which is used as the daily drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The KRT car has a diesel powertrain.
it was first owned by the GOVERNOR of KERALA(RAJBHAVAN) and later auctioned when the present owner got it.
Will have to check whether its true or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Oh wonderful, have never seen this version, though we had a Landmaster car long ago in our family. Thanks for sharing the pics. The woody wagon looks amazing. Will keep an eye out, but I am sure it will be a very rare sight.
It seems that you don't come to this part of the world . My cousin's house is just 50m from my house. (At Kamaleswaram, Manacaud. 3kms from East Fort on the Kovalam route)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
The car i told is this one KRT.New colour is same as we can see in the picture.
The car was repainted recently (6-12 months, I don't remember exactly) to the shade of the first car, i.e light green.

This car is definitely not for sale. There have been many offers, but they don't intend to sell it. One Sikh calls frequently to know whether they have changed their mind. He is from Delhi, otherwise I would have believed it to be KARL .

Quiet recently, a Foreign Couple came seeking the car and their story was like this: On their previous trip to India, when they were going to the Airport for the return Journey, they got a glimpse of the car. They noted down the Reg no and went home. This year, they got off the Airport and the first thing they did was car-hunting. They stopped at each and every local workshop on the way and finally came to a local workshop and BULLS-EYE. The local workshop man is heavily favored by my Family for doing small tinkering & denting works. He was set-up very near to my house, before having to vacate the premises. He guided them to the house and they found their way there! They wouldn't take NO for an answer and somehow my Cousin let them off, rather difficultly.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:51   #38
BHPian

Wow!! The green Landmaster Traveller looks super cool. It makes me bring back my old memories, for we had a light blue colored Landmaster car owned by my grandfather, what a car it was!! My dad used to drive it extensively, when my granddad grabbed his Zen..Hehe!! though cumbersome to drive that heavy thing in Pune traffic, my dad used to enjoy it a lot, until my granddad decided to sell it. Presently it is in Kolhapur (dont know if they still have it), but the last i heard about the car was that the owners had replaced the original petrol engine with a diesel one and they use it as their daily drive from home to their factory.
I am thinking of bringing it back to Pune, lets see.

just to add one more thing; my Granddad was the third owner of that Landmaster wayback in the fiftees.

dhaval

Last edited by dhaval : 20th May 2008 at 14:54. Reason: some addition
Old 20th May 2008, 14:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Which Album? Can you please provide a link?
I don't know anything about that, but I have been seeing this car as long as I remember, but I'm only 25. It's my cousins' family car, which is used as the daily drive.
Will have to check whether its true or not?
It seems that you don't come to this part of the world . My cousin's house is just 50m from my house. (At Kamaleswaram, Manacaud. 3kms from East Fort on the Kovalam route)

The car was repainted recently (6-12 months, I don't remember exactly) to the shade of the first car, i.e light green.

This car is definitely not for sale. There have been many offers, but they don't intend to sell it. One Sikh calls frequently to know whether they have changed their mind. He is from Delhi, otherwise I would have believed it to be KARL .

Quiet recently, a Foreign Couple came seeking the car and their story was like this: On their previous trip to India, when they were going to the Airport for the return Journey, they got a glimpse of the car. They noted down the Reg no and went home. This year, they got off the Airport and the first thing they did was car-hunting. They stopped at each and every local workshop on the way and finally came to a local workshop and BULLS-EYE. The local workshop man is heavily favored by my Family for doing small tinkering & denting works. He was set-up very near to my house, before having to vacate the premises. He guided them to the house and they found their way there! They wouldn't take NO for an answer and somehow my Cousin let them off, rather difficultly.
Arif,
I have seen both the Land master travellers the KRT 2474(your cousins) and the TNK car (concourse car)
closely .The KRT car has lost lot of its ORIGINALITY.
First of all the engine is DIESEL.for your info the Engine no is:PDD:0221, the gear box has been changed, the tail lamps are not original, there are no semaphore indicators(trafficators), the steering wheel is not original land master's, the clock is absent/not working .
The TNK car is a fully restored one with original petrol engine, working meters, semaphores etc.
Moreover I am wondering how you are unaware that this is a later registration number because KRT came in 1974 and the car is a 1957 model .It was with RajBhavan so like other RajBhavan vehicles it was not registered till 1975 after which it was auctioned off .
Regarding whether the car was not for sale ,I can tell you that they were ready to part with it 2-3 years ago but at a 'ludicrous' price(7 lakhs)!!!!! .The TNK car is owned by a person from Nagercoil who frequently comes to Trivandrum in that car .
The green MEV car(original petrol engine) was sold for Rs.1.20 lakhs by one Mr.Durai to the owner of GABRIELA shock absorbers in November 2005
Also please keep in mind that cars older manufactured before 1968 cannot be taken out of the country as per the Antiques Act .so the foreign tourists cannot take it back to their country even if the owners sells it to them. Moreover Landmaster woodys were never manufactured in INDIA.there are many such cars existing in UK than in INDIA. for a concourse condition car you need to pay only 3000 pounds ie ,Rs.2.4lakhs . ( you can verify this by visiting www.oldclassiccar.co.uk)
Old 20th May 2008, 15:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The green MEV car(original petrol engine) was sold for Rs.1.20 lakhs by one Mr.Durai to the owner of GABRIELA shock absorbers in November 2005
One question. Was the Landmaster Traveller offered with a sidevalve or OHV engine? The MEV car (now in Delhi) is fitted with an OHV engine.
Old 20th May 2008, 15:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Besides, Karl is by no means a Sikh but a 100% bawaji (parsi )
Old 20th May 2008, 19:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The KRT car has lost lot of its ORIGINALITY.
First of all the engine is DIESEL.for your info the Engine no is:PDD:0221, the gear box has been changed, the tail lamps are not original, there are no semaphore indicators(trafficators), the steering wheel is not original land master's, the clock is absent/not working .
I never said that the car was fully restored or that it still has original parts!

Quote:
Moreover I am wondering how you are unaware that this is a later registration number because KRT came in 1974 and the car is a 1957 model. It was with RajBhavan so like other RajBhavan vehicles it was not registered till 1975 after which it was auctioned off .
And I came to this world in 1982

Quote:
Regarding whether the car was not for sale ,I can tell you that they were ready to part with it 2-3 years ago but at a 'ludicrous' price(7 lakhs)!!!!!
That MAYBE because they weren't interested in selling the car, hence the high asking price. Once again MAYBE

Quote:
Also please keep in mind that cars older manufactured before 1968 cannot be taken out of the country as per the Antiques Act .so the foreign tourists cannot take it back to their country even if the owners sells it to them.
Well, that's NEWS to me and thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Moreover Landmaster woodys were never manufactured in INDIA.there are many such cars existing in UK than in INDIA. for a concourse condition car you need to pay only 3000 pounds ie ,Rs.2.4lakhs . ( you can verify this by visiting www.oldclassiccar.co.uk)
But if only 250 were made, wouldn't there be high demand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Besides, Karl is by no means a Sikh but a 100% bawaji (parsi )
For a Keralite like me, both are mathematics! No offence to Karl or anyone else
Old 20th May 2008, 21:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question. Was the Landmaster Traveller offered with a sidevalve or OHV engine? The MEV car (now in Delhi) is fitted with an OHV engine.

I think the landmaster traveller came with a O.H.V engine as standard, as the traveller came out after the Ambassaddor Saloon was launched.
Old 20th May 2008, 22:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the landmaster traveller came with a O.H.V engine as standard, as the traveller came out after the Ambassaddor Saloon was launched.
Its a bit strange as it continued the flat bonnet. I was under the impression the humped bonnet of the Amby was introduced to accomodate the OHV engine. Apparently it didnt make a difference.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

traveller

But if only 250 were made, wouldn't there be high demand?

It is not that 250 were made, but only 250 came to INDIA.for exact production numbers I have to check , but it is definitely in thousands..
but being a Hindustan car it cant have the demand of other imported cars

Most Viewed