Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 13:10   #1501
BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Dear Behram Sir, LV6459 is not just looking good, we know it will be "better than factory spec"

I remember you have mentioned earlier that you take special precaution for rust proofing the car.

You also will have auxiliary electric pump in the spare wheel bay as standard to ensure that the car will not crank on a starving carb, headlights that mean business and ignition system that will deliver strong spark, so electrically and mechanically in top form.

My car completed one year and 5000 odd kms with me now. The car had an oil + oil filter change, the point had pitted so the point was polished and gap set with feeler gauge and dwell angle was measured at 59 degree, I let it be for now. Air filter was cleaned. Car runs like a dream now. I did not touch the carb and left it as you set it, its perfect and cant afford to disturb.

I am worried that the coupling may fail as the car bucks when I start off the first gear, I am carrying a spare in the dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There were only a handful of non-S1 engine cars with the NISSAN transmission, most were R&D prototypes. This was because the NISSAN flywheel and clutch engineering / integration was not done with the normal engine. The very first such R&D prototype car with column shift with transmission mounting inside the tunnel was MH03A60, in blue color.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir have seen quite a few cars with floor shift, is this a straight fit of 118 NE GB?
Old 7th July 2016, 09:21   #1502

Quote:
Sir have seen quite a few cars with floor shift, is this a straight fit of 118 NE GB?
Dear autocrat ji,
118NE had a Nissan engine and Gearbox whereas PP S1 cars had Fiat/Padmini engine with Nissan gearbox. Mine is a floor shift PP S1 with Bucket seats and yes it does not have a rubber coupling.

BTW one more news for you, I have picked up the 1100d yesterday. It's a car with most of the original bits. Most importantly it still runs on Mareilli distributor, has all 4 aluminum wheel caps, original grill, monogram and bumper. Internal handle and winders are aluminum too.

Got it towed to the workshop. In the first round old fuel tank will be discarded as the car was running on gas for many years. Carburetor will be changed. Fuel pump will be replaced/installed. All the oils will be changed and then we will start the car.

In the next step brake will be overhauled and all mechanicals will be checked and serviced before trial runs.

Happy motoring to all.
jollyA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:04   #1503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Dear Behram Sir, LV6459 is not just looking good, we know it will be "better than factory specification" . I am worried that the coupling may fail as the car bucks when I start off the first gear, I am carrying a spare in the dickey. I have seen quite a few cars with floor shift, is this a straight fit of the 118 NE transmission?
Dear Gowtham - thanks for your gracious comments on MH12LV6459. It needs a new battery, I am still using the battery which came with the car, I don't think it's in the best of health. Please keep 13, 14 and 17mm size open ended as well as ring spanners also (ensure that all of them fit snugly and don't slip), otherwise how will you change the coupling in the middle of nowhere when you want? . Obviously the NISSAN transmission cannot be a direct fit, the housing was developed and die-cast to match the Padmini engine interface. The clutch fork angle is more horizontal as compared to the 118NE to provide clearance with the steering tie rods. The gear shift lever is smaller for the Padmini application.

By the way, I am slowly and steadily working alone on my "latest acquisition", after I come home from office. I start my work at my convenience at around 8.30pm, and the other day when I finished, it was 1145pm! The wiring harness inside the engine compartment was in a complete mess, it was an exercise on what a wiring harness should not be! Now it is exactly as I want it, almost invisible. I did something crazy. I took it upon myself to actually try and "repair" the front small lights! I must have spent some 6 hours to do so, but finally I got them to work perfectly. No garage will do this. It was a revelation, you learn so much why "after-market-altu-faltu" things don't work, and how people must be getting right-royally fleeced (including the very genial Gujarati uncle, who was the first owner of this car). Now, I am going to "repair" the tail lights, no matter how long it takes. I am also going to polish the engine compartment with waxpol! Oh my God! .

I just cannot stand it when I see shoddy work done, what to do, I am like this only. I lose nothing by working alone quietly, finally I get the perfect job that I want! My electricians will understand and quietly smile, but regular garages will never understand.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 7th July 2016 at 11:14.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 19:01   #1504
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, I am slowly and steadily working alone on my "latest acquisition", after I come home from office. I start my work at my convenience at around 8.30pm, and the other day when I finished, it was 1145pm! The wiring harness inside the engine compartment was in a complete mess, it was an exercise on what a wiring harness should not be! Now it is exactly as I want it, almost invisible. I did something crazy. I took it upon myself to actually try and "repair" the front small lights! I must have spent some 6 hours to do so, but finally I got them to work perfectly. No garage will do this. It was a revelation, you learn so much why "after-market-altu-faltu" things don't work, and how people must be getting right-royally fleeced (including the very genial Gujarati uncle, who was the first owner of this car). Now, I am going to "repair" the tail lights, no matter how long it takes. I am also going to polish the engine compartment with waxpol! Oh my God! .

I just cannot stand it when I see shoddy work done, what to do, I am like this only. I lose nothing by working alone quietly, finally I get the perfect job that I want! My electricians will understand and quietly smile, but regular garages will never understand.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behrambhai: You made the conversation more interesting by revealing that you are working on your last 'Acquisition'. Pl. explain in detail if possible. Or I believe you want to keep us guessing till its finished?
And I envy you working alone. The other day, AC switch in my Contessa started working erratically so I opened it thinking I will get time after Dinner but not yet. Seems your better-half is "Very Co-operative" knowing you are ultimately a 'Bawaji'

Last edited by KkVaidya : 7th July 2016 at 19:02.
Old 8th July 2016, 10:55   #1505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Behrambhai: You made the conversation more interesting by revealing that you are working on your last 'Acquisition'. Pl. explain in detail if possible. Or I believe you want to keep us guessing till its finished?
And I envy you working alone. The other day, AC switch in my Contessa started working erratically so I opened it thinking I will get time after Dinner but not yet. Seems your better-half is "Very Co-operative" knowing you are ultimately a 'Bawaji'
Dear Vaidyaji - hahaha, my better half knows! My family is in Mumbai and me and the car are in Pune, so I guess it's OK if I quietly work upto 1145pm instead of reading a novel and listening to "vividh bharati" on the radio (I don't have TV in my house, by choice)! Also, it gives me my much needed peace of mind and a sense of some achievement to have done a good job. My society chairman and secretary give me "good evenings", knowing smiles and nods of their heads now.

I actually took 4 hours, just to assemble the repaired front small lights and restart the headlights (which I have to replace, as these ones are broken and dangling) and I still have to apply the final taping to the harness. I have to struggle, to remove every single nonsensical thing from the car. Then I have to clean everything with WD40 to ensure that it is OK or replace it. Even this much garages don't do, the mind-set is just not there! I have had enough with them, I have told them countless times "tum achcha kaam karo", they always say "hum achcha kaam karega", but they just don't do it because they just do not realize that there is something called "achcha kaam", and I can't stand anything else, so I guess this is the correct way. So, this one is going to become mechanically perfect. The urge to do a "ground-up" is there , but I am thinking of leaving it as it is from outside, so that when I take it out, I can park it anywhere! .

Oh the car, OK, it's a single Gujarati uncle owner, MH01N3223 registration, 1993 model Padmini, always driven very slowly (I had seen him driving around), never taken out of Pune for 23 years, with absolutely perfect documentation till 2021. Have a look, this is the only picture I could locate today in my phone, this is where it was on the day I bought it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_5738-copy.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 8th July 2016 at 11:12.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:44   #1506
BHPian

2 updates to car - changed the tail lights to cast metal ones yesterday. These have frosted lenses I had once seen on a president! Also had got a fresh set of MRF legends from Erode in TN, and Dr. Sambit from Mumbai had gifted a set of white wall inserts for my car, which were fitted with the new tyres. The steel wipers and arms were sourced from Kolkata. Talk about National Integration

Car idling at 500 rpm and point set gap set, and timing reconfirmed at 10* btdc at idling. Vacuum and centrifugal advance working.

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_20160710_213220276.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160707wa0154.jpeg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160707wa0256.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160707wa0179.jpeg

One glitch, right rear and front left parking lights not lighting up, also the instrument console lights. Fuse is okay, looks like loose connections behind fuse box

Last edited by autocrat : 11th July 2016 at 13:04.
autocrat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 04:19   #1507
BHPian

This is regarding radiator cap spec for a 1967 FIAT 1100D. I have read from this forum that it has to be 7psi. But I am unable to source that specific one but can get a handle on 4psi one. I know if I use that cooling system will not be pressurized to the spec but other than what other disadvantages would be there.

Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:24   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenasked View Post
This is regarding radiator cap spec for a 1967 FIAT 1100D. I have read from this forum that it has to be 7psi. But I am unable to source that specific one but can get a handle on 4psi one. I know if I use that cooling system will not be pressurized to the spec but other than what other disadvantages would be there.

Thanks
The relief valve opens at lower pressure, so inspection and top up needs to be done more frequently. I use a 0.5 bar cap of TECIL make now as I could not get a 0.9 bar one. I prefer to use a better quality cap of lower rating that a poor quality one (which will corrode) even if rating is correctly printed (but cant be sure it will work as expected)

Some people use coolant mixed with water to compensate, I don't know what long term effect that will have on the water pump and aluminium head.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 17:09   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is regarding radiator cap spec for a 1967 FIAT 1100D. I have read from this forum that it has to be 7psi. But I am unable to source that specific one but can get a handle on 4psi one. I know if I use that cooling system will not be pressurized to the spec but other than what other disadvantages would be there. Thanks
Dear Whenasked - hello to you. 7psi cap is difficult to source. You may use 9psi or 11psi but ensure that the integrity of the hose pipes is perfect. Use EPDM hoses. In OE we used Tecil make caps. There is one RD make available, which is also good. Others are all nonsense. With production cooling system, you must use the cap without the top rubber seal. Even if you use the cap with this seal, you will not get any advantage as there is no surge tank.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 20:15   #1510
BHPian

Thank you autocrat and Behram Sir.

I am restoring (in fact my dad is) 67 FIAT1100D from ground up. Engine was in good condition so we did not do a restore on it. So after all tinkering, painting, upholstery & trim fittings , upgrading brake system with S1 style dual lines, we fired up engine (new oil, new water pump, cleaned up radiator, new fuel pump). Dad did buy a new radiator cap (it was NIC brand with no pressure rating mentioned). After a few miles, the engine temp rose and head gasket developed a leak.

So I asked him to send a pic of radiator cap, it was labelled NIC but coolant was spelled as "coolent" and no pressure rating. So I am assuming, it is a fake NIC cap and it did not relieve the pressure build up and gasket sprung a leak.

Pics to follow soon. With my teenage maturity in 90's, I had wanted this car to look like a S1, so had forced my dad to remove quarter glass, old grill, bumper to match like S1. We did not preserve those parts. Now I want to bring the car back like a 67 but finding it hard.

So for now I have restored with what we have and make it reliable and look elegant.

Thanks again
Whenasked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 01:22   #1511
BHPian

Few pictures of the restoration and the radiator cap
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160131wa0022.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160130wa0007.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160201wa0006.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160316wa0006.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160323wa0016.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160331wa0011.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160430wa0009.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160609wa0010.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_20160712_160337.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img20160708wa0023.jpg  

Last edited by Whenasked : 13th July 2016 at 01:35. Reason: Add one more pic
Whenasked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 13:00   #1512
BHPian

Quote:

So I asked him to send a pic of radiator cap, it was labelled NIC but coolant was spelled as "coolent" and no pressure rating. So I am assuming, it is a fake NIC cap and it did not relieve the pressure build up and gasket sprung a leak.

Thanks again
Dear Whenasked, I see you are in Bangalore, please PM me the location, let me see if I can arrange for a TECIL cap for your car, if you find it hard to source one.

Your car is looking nice, thanks a lot for the pics!
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 20:29   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Dear Whenasked, I see you are in Bangalore, please PM me the location, let me see if I can arrange for a TECIL cap for your car, if you find it hard to source one.

Your car is looking nice, thanks a lot for the pics!
Thank you. I just sent a PM to you
Old 25th July 2016, 15:41   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gowtham & all - I am sharing some new learning which I experienced last week:

MH12LV6459 was running fine, when all of a sudden it "just stopped"! The engine restarted, but it backfired through the exhaust tail pipe and also popped back through the carburettor. It happened all of a sudden. I know that this indicates a faulty condenser, and it happens all of a sudden also. The condenser specification is 0.25Mf (micro-farad), which indicated zero (short circuit) on the capacitance meter. So I replaced the condenser. Although instant starting and perfect idling resumed immediately, there was still a very small amount of intermittent misfiring at medium to high speed, felt at the tailpipe. I replaced the spark plugs. All the misfiring got eliminated. So I checked the removed spark plugs for performance at 8 bars pressure. I found that one spark plug indicated intermittent sparking at this pressure, but it indicated perfect sparking at lower pressure of less than 3 bars. The new learning is that a faulty condenser can affect the performance of the spark plugs within a very short time. Now I have to find out exactly what went wrong with the condenser!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 17:40   #1515
BHPian

Quote:

Now I have to find out exactly what went wrong with the condenser!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, good learning for us, what I am perplexed about is spark plug performance change with compression. Never thought pressure could influence spark. Now, as I know your results, I think the density of air will also be a factor to generate a spark - more dense air means more energy needed to ionize them to enable the spark to jump across!

Do you think the insulator in capacitor will degenerate with age and short internally? I have seen blown capacitors on water pumps, due to voltage irregularities, unrelated to auto electricals but same electrical function

Most Viewed