Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 23:41   #151
BANNED

I suspect the Ignition system after Arun1100 updated me about this discussion.
Don't worry will get one by one rectified slowly.
Old 10th November 2009, 07:25   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Two things

1. Ignition System

2. Fuel System come to play a major role in Milage please check you Ignition system also.
Could you elaborate more on the 2 points Manish?
Old 10th November 2009, 10:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

hello

In general, tell me what are the things to have checked/replaced. Do I need to change the ignition coil?

FYI- I had changed the spark plugs, point and condensor some 800 kms ago

Last edited by funkykar : 10th November 2009 at 10:59.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
In general, tell me what are the things to have checked/replaced. Do I need to change the ignition coil?

FYI- I had changed the spark plugs, point and condensor some 800 kms ago
I have stopped using my S1 for the time being. I request some one to help me out on the mileage front.

OFF TOPIC: A friend of mine told me that a original Contessa Ignition coil is very good for Fiats. It improves the performance and also returns 2-3kms more mileage. He also told, when ever a contessa comes for scrap, the ignition coil gets picked immediately as there is lot of demand for the Mumbai taxiwallahs. He said original ones are made in Japan. I dont remember the brand. It starts with an "N" I remember. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Any pros and cons of using it on Fiats?

Last edited by funkykar : 12th November 2009 at 11:37.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:56   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE.

In the last couple of months, I have observed that the availability of 5.20*14 tyres is becoming gradually critical. Finally, we will have to look for alternatives, whether we like it or not. So, think and let's toss this around to locate the best solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th November 2009, 13:02   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE.

In the last couple of months, I have observed that the availability of 5.20*14 tyres is becoming gradually critical. Finally, we will have to look for alternatives, whether we like it or not. So, think and let's toss this around to locate the best solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I am already using the Swift petrol's stock tyre size (165/80 R14) on my President in Lucknow. But the steering is heavy. Are there any other alternatives ?
Old 12th November 2009, 22:24   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE.In the last couple of months, I have observed that the availability of 5.20*14 tyres is becoming gradually critical. Finally, we will have to look for alternatives, whether we like it or not. So, think and let's toss this around to locate the best solution.
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Guys, how good an idea is it to HOARD tyres ? Is there any way to preserve them so they don't go hard ? Like talcum powder for instance ?
Maybe its a good idea then to buy a few sets for posterity.. ?
(Especially since a Fiat lover can never quite tell how many Fiats he'll end up with in his lifetime.)

Last edited by SuperSelect : 12th November 2009 at 22:25.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:58   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I have stopped using my S1 for the time being. I request some one to help me out on the mileage front.

OFF TOPIC: A friend of mine told me that a original Contessa Ignition coil is very good for Fiats. It improves the performance and also returns 2-3kms more mileage. He also told, when ever a contessa comes for scrap, the ignition coil gets picked immediately as there is lot of demand for the Mumbai taxiwallahs. He said original ones are made in Japan. I dont remember the brand. It starts with an "N" I remember. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Any pros and cons of using it on Fiats?
Dear Funkykar- I see the story repeating, i had the same problem when i got the S1, the problem may be the tuning of the bicsa carb. I presume it has a Bicsa carb. The bicsa carb needs fine adjustment(of the third screw, precisely) that most mech dont tend to know. I used to receive 7.5 kmpl in mumbai traffic. The solution was to return to a regular solex carb, prefereably a mcs 1061/2. One post by Adheesh have discussed this before.
I mileage with a lot of other things went upto 13kmpl.

Regarding, the contessa coil, the mumbai cab wallahs make the fiat work even on the 800 coil forget about the contessa coil. When asked they say, Taxi pe sab Chalta hain. Behram has tested the performance of a contessa distributor, dont know if it was with the coil.

Ps- incase of replacing carbeurettor, dont forget to remove the nut from the intake manifold and install a wind pipe, else it will simply run rich.
Old 13th November 2009, 11:07   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Funkykar- I see the story repeating, i had the same problem when i got the S1, the problem may be the tuning of the bicsa carb. I presume it has a Bicsa carb. The bicsa carb needs fine adjustment(of the third screw, precisely) that most mech dont tend to know. I used to receive 7.5 kmpl in mumbai traffic. The solution was to return to a regular solex carb, prefereably a mcs 1061/2. One post by Adheesh have discussed this before.

Regarding, the contessa coil, the mumbai cab wallahs make the fiat work even on the 800 coil forget about the contessa coil. When asked they say, Taxi pe sab Chalta hain. Behram has tested the performance of a contessa distributor, dont know if it was with the coil.

Ps- incase of replacing carbeurettor, dont forget to remove the nut from the intake manifold and install a wind pipe, else it will simply run rich.
Thanks mate!

For now, I am planning to change the Ignition coil and the spark plug cables. I will have the mechanic clean the spark plugs and then tune again. If I continue having the same mileage problem, I will try a regular Solex carburator. I will keep in mind of the nut and the wind pipe if I do so. I am assuming its a direct fit and doesnt need any other modiifcations. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding Contessa stuff, I dont know if my friend meant distributor along with Ignition coil. Anyways, I am not going to experiment on this
Old 13th November 2009, 12:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
I used to receive 7.5 kmpl in mumbai traffic. The solution was to return to a regular solex carb, prefereably a mcs 1061/2. One post by Adheesh have discussed this before.

Which is the thread where this was discussed. I wouldnt find it. If you find it, please let me know.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:52   #161
BHPian

[quote=funkykar;1580538]Which is the thread where this was discussed. I wouldnt find it. If you find it, please let me know.[/QUOTE

Adheesh in his previous posts on this same thread has mentioned regarding the mcs1061 carburettor and jet size to be used. Not regarding the conversion. Yes, the same manifold works for regular solex carbs no change for fitment required.

For convenience sake,
use a main jet 97.5 jet size for economy and 102 jet size for performance.

I would however say its possible to get economy from the current bicsa incase of proper tuning.

For all other S1 niggles let me know, let my initial sleepless nights be of some purpose to you.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:29   #162
BANNED

Quote:

My Electrician suggested of putting a Contessa's Ignition Coil and Distributor some time back. The car's performance increases and also it water proof. The only modification you have to do is to machine the distributor cam little bit to suit a Fiat.
Old 14th November 2009, 22:06   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For all other S1 niggles let me know, let my initial sleepless nights be of some purpose to you.
Thanks Kavesh for all your inputs. I have presently changed the ignition coil and spark plug cables. I will do some mileage tests tomorrow and then decide on how to go about if the issue still persists.

By the way, whats the third screw you were talking about in the BICSA carb? Myself and my mechanic only know just the regular 2 screws.
Old 15th November 2009, 08:05   #164
BHPian

Hi karthic why worry its just an carb and an s1 fiat what consumption you want call me will do the needful its just the way we do things in our daily life so just forget your worries
Old 15th November 2009, 08:53   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
Hi karthic why worry its just an carb and an s1 fiat what consumption you want call me will do the needful its just the way we do things in our daily life so just forget your worries
Thanks sir!! I will call you some time regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks