Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 22:15   #1666
BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Hi everyone, we have a Premier Padmini Deluxe BE 1990 model. This is my parents first car in India and was bought before I was born. Actually my first ever ride from hospital to home was in this car. Dad has a lot of sentimental value for this car. After we bought Sierra 2 years later, this was passed on to my Dad's brother. He took very good care of it for about 10 years, after which he bought his own car. The car was sent back to Hyderabad and we almost never used it, or very sparingly used considering the number of cars we already have at home.

When we (me and my brother) went abroad for higher studies, the car was given to one of our drivers who had been with us for 15 long years. He used it for a while and something broke down and he parked it aside near his house. It has been neglected and parked on side of a road for many years. Miscreants broke all the glasses (except windshield) of the vehicle, rain damaged the interior, eventually ended up rusting the complete under body and sides of the vehicle. The roof is also dented (as if some one sat in the middle of it). There are rust spots all over the vehicle, but I'm majorly worried about the rust underneath the vehicle and inside all the tyre foot wells.

We got it towed to our place and is currently covered in a tarpaulin. The vehicle hadn't been started like in about 10 years. I opened the bonnet, checked the engine oil dip stick and the level is full. I also opened the engine oil filling cap and I can see oil deposits in the head. Good news is it hasn't dried up yet. I also opened the brake oil filler cap near brake booster, as soon as I opened the cap, the complete oil, which I could see went down, may be due to vaccum or air. I also turned the fan, it moved. The pulley is not struck, which means the engine is not seized.

I showed the vehicle to couple of FNGs and they are quoting about 1 lakh to 1.5 lakhs to restore the vehicle to it's original glory. When I asked, they told that they would do complete denting & painting, electrical work and interior. I think 1.5 lakhs is a very huge amount to restore a 30 year old car. My Dad wants to restore the car as he has lot of sentimental value for it. But its condition is also equally bad.

I have a few questions regarding the restoration

1. Can we buy a new body shell along with doors,boot and bonnet? One of my FNG denter told that the cast is available and few non OEM companies make them. Is it true?
I have seen couple of shows on netflix like west coast customs and rust to riches, in which they get brand new body shells from non OEM companies. Do we also have such companies which provide complete body shells?

2. How much would it cost to completely restore this vehicle? It's better to check finances before starting such a huge project. It also needs all new wheels and tyres as the ones on it are badly rusted and hardened.

3. The original engine and gearbox is untouched, it did about 74,000 kms, so do I need to get the engine opened and checked or is a normal compression test good enough?

4. What about the availability of parts (both mechanical and body parts)? Front grille, All the lights are broken, suspension is bad got to change all components along with leaf springs, rusted silencer assembly. Would all these parts be available in Hyderabad? When I enquired, owner of Mehta Automobiles a shop in Ranigunj, Secunderabad told that they can 'arrange' them.

5. After restoring at FNG, do you think this tin metal tinkering would withhold structural stability of the vehicle?

6. Is it worth time and money to restore a 30 year old car barring the sentimental value attached to it?

I would really love to restore this vehicle if this is financially and technically feasible without any safety issues.

Here are couple of pictures of our car. I apologize to all Fiat lovers for leaving the car in such a pitiable condition.

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-9a54e12907b747728cd2da5fc179675f.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-766de85a48bd4ab8bc3d56e4ae8ce761.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-7ef6783b16a94a6090d8c3b1d3d65361.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-36c3e229dd42499cbc4d37ea5db4b624.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-3476bd21878c47dda2d9b9ea96c74981.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-d7c03b107c9f4d40a15b2a004f3dd9b1.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-d874d6fa5bc549db85cc013bf6210e33.jpg

-
The threads which inspired me to restore the vehicle are

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-progress.html (My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress)
-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-padmini.html (Restoration of my Premier Padmini)

but these are in much better shape than mine. Please guide me on this.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th August 2020 at 16:57. Reason: formatting for better readability
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 03:29   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
I showed the vehicle to couple of FNGs and they are quoting about 1 lakh to 1.5 lakhs to restore the vehicle to it's original glory.
That isn't a lot actually, if they can bring it back to its original condition. In Bangalore, that would amount to the starting price for restoration. A lot depends on the condition of the chassis or frame, extent of rust. This is where most of the cost goes and off course, how good a paint job you want. The after market options you have today will surpass the factory quality paint that Premier did.

It is unlikely that you will need to touch the engine. If the car has not been abused, when it was last in use, then it should be fine. New oil, oil and fuel filter, new spark plugs, carburetor and air filter clean up, ignition coil, a fuel pump service is all that is needed to get the engine turning without it missing a beat. You will have to rinse/clean the fuel tank. The mechanical's are pretty simple on these cars that once set right, you don't ever have to touch it.

A complete rewiring of the electrical system will also be needed. I assume all of this will come under the cost that was quoted to you. It is better you get a detailed break down of what all can be done with 1 or 1.5lac and a time frame from the garage. They should not say 3 months and then take a year to get your car back on the road. Going by the current situation, I imagine garages will want your business so negotiate and get a clear understanding on what they are going to do, before you proceed. Speak to a few garages to get an understanding of their approach to the job.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:40   #1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
I have a few questions regarding the restoration

1. Can we buy a new body shell along with doors,boot and bonnet? One of my FNG denter told that the cast is available and few non OEM companies make them. Is it true?
I have seen couple of shows on netflix like west coast customs and rust to riches, in which they get brand new body shells from non OEM companies. Do we also have such companies which provide complete body shells?

2. How much would it cost to completely restore this vehicle? It's better to check finances before starting such a huge project. It also needs all new wheels and tyres as the ones on it are badly rusted and hardened.

3. The original engine and gearbox is untouched, it did about 74,000 kms, so do I need to get the engine opened and checked or is a normal compression test good enough?

4. What about the availability of parts (both mechanical and body parts)? Front grille, All the lights are broken, suspension is bad got to change all components along with leaf springs, rusted silencer assembly. Would all these parts be available in Hyderabad? When I enquired, owner of Mehta Automobiles a shop in Ranigunj, Secunderabad told that they can 'arrange' them.

5. After restoring at FNG, do you think this tin metal tinkering would withhold structural stability of the vehicle?

6. Is it worth time and money to restore a 30 year old car barring the sentimental value attached to it?

I would really love to restore this vehicle if this is financially and technically feasible without any safety issues.
Hey WhiteSierra,
My father owns a 137D which he has restored once completely. So should be able to answer some of your questions.
1. Buying new is not the most feasible option here. Padmini's body shells are mostly available in all scrap shops and automobile seconds dealers. They should be pretty cheap as you any which will tinker and paint the whole vehicle.
2. The cost of a complete restoration will depend on where you want to stop. Here are some rough estimates,
2.1 Body rework - 15K max(if sourced from a scrap dealer)
2.2 Tinker and Paint - 15K
2.3 Interior Upholstery - 20K for a decent job (Upper limit depends on what you want)
2.4 Engine - I don't think you will need work with the gearbox. My dad's car has run 2 lakh kms and never needed any major gearbox. I would recommend though engine inspection to make sure its failsafe. This wouldn't cost you much
2.5 Suspensions and Tyres - Suspension work is quite inexpensive on padmini's. You can easily source some new ones for quite cheap. Tyres are the tricky part. You don't get the stock tyres available anymore brand new. You might have to go for a wider profile new one, but a word of caution here, the steering will become tight if you do this.

So after all this if you ask me one direction, I would recommend you to go for seconds or get yourself a donor car for sourcing parts. Visit a part store only when you cant do the first one. A rough estimate would be around 1 lakh to get your car up and running while also doing a decent job.

As far as your last quesiton goes, My dad always says it is not the best idea nor a feasible one technically or financially to rebuilt a good old car. But he still did it any way because of the value only he could understand. The car will have issues, but your dad will be a happy man driving it around. Trust me.

Hope this helps.
VarunVelavan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 18:50   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunVelavan View Post
. Tyres are the tricky part. You don't get the stock tyres available anymore brand new. You might have to go for a wider profile new one, but a word of caution here, the steering will become tight if you do this.
Hope this helps.
The stock tyres are still available in MRF legend brand 5.20x14. I have seen tyres with date of manufacturing 2019.But these are available only with certain stockists and you will have to search for it. Also regarding parts about 90 percent of the parts are still available for padmini models.
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:16   #1670
BHPian

My friend bought a LHD Padmini. How many LHD Padminis in India? Any idea?
Vmax1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:18   #1671
BHPian

Hi White sierra,

Iam also from Hyderabad, the car is very much restorable you don't need a new shell,the car seems to be in original factory shade.Getting parts is not so easy but it's it's not such a bad situation.
Samanyu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 20:14   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax1200 View Post
I have seen 3 in kerala itself, one a grey colour 80's model, 90's model white one(which later went to Bombay) and and also a white one in central Travancore.
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 11:33   #1673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax1200 View Post
Nice to hear of this - what year is it? Please do share some pictures thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:18   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice to hear of this - what year is it? Please do share some pictures thanks
The car is 1996 model which was imported from Dubai in the year 1999. The car is currently in workshop for some touch ups. I will post pictures after completing the work.
Vmax1200 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:14   #1675
BHPian

Hi sandeepmohan, VarunVelavan, Samanyu

Thanks a lot for replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanyu View Post
Hi White sierra,

Iam also from Hyderabad, the car is very much restorable you don't need a new shell,the car seems to be in original factory shade.Getting parts is not so easy but it's it's not such a bad situation.
Yes, the car was never painted before, It is still in factory shade. The clear coat completely vanished, probably because of it's 30 years of service. I'm looking for all parts which are needed for restoration so that I don't hit a roadblock in the middle of restoration. Asked mechanic and body shop guys to write down the list of all necessary parts.

Quote:
My father owns a 137D which he has restored once completely. So should be able to answer some of your questions.

2. The cost of a complete restoration will depend on where you want to stop. Here are some rough estimates,
2.3 Interior Upholstery - 20K for a decent job (Upper limit depends on what you want)

So after all this if you ask me one direction, I would recommend you to go for seconds or get yourself a donor car for sourcing parts. Visit a part store only when you cant do the first one. A rough estimate would be around 1 lakh to get your car up and running while also doing a decent job.

Hope this helps.
This is a good amount to spend on an old car for restoration, but in my case people are quoting about 1.5 lakhs for the same. I'm yet to find a body shop guy who is reasonable and does quality work. I have few leads, I'll be meetin them next week. will update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That isn't a lot actually, if they can bring it back to its original condition. In Bangalore, that would amount to the starting price for restoration. A lot depends on the condition of the chassis or frame, extent of rust. This is where most of the cost goes and off course, how good a paint job you want. The after market options you have today will surpass the factory quality paint that Premier did.

It is unlikely that you will need to touch the engine. If the car has not been abused, when it was last in use, then it should be fine. New oil, oil and fuel filter, new spark plugs, carburetor and air filter clean up, ignition coil, a fuel pump service is all that is needed to get the engine turning without it missing a beat. You will have to rinse/clean the fuel tank. The mechanical's are pretty simple on these cars that once set right, you don't ever have to touch it.

A complete rewiring of the electrical system will also be needed. I assume all of this will come under the cost that was quoted to you. It is better you get a detailed break down of what all can be done with 1 or 1.5lac and a time frame from the garage. They should not say 3 months and then take a year to get your car back on the road. Going by the current situation, I imagine garages will want your business so negotiate and get a clear understanding on what they are going to do, before you proceed. Speak to a few garages to get an understanding of their approach to the job.
Yes, I too feel the same. Independent garages are eager to work on this car, but their quotations for the same are exorbitant. I recently got our Sierra completely restored, also got Qualis exterior complete denting and painting done from two different independent garages. I did not like the workmanship of either of them. There are some undulations like waves over the body when seen from side. The denting work was not perfect. My Dad who is a perfectionist did not like the quality of workmanship these cars underwent. It was my mistake, I chose these garages. With Fiat being our very first car and very sentimental for Dad, I'm still on hunt for a good bodyshop worker, and I also want to stock all the required parts before giving to the workshop. I also recently went to Mazda Motors (Secunderabad) and they quoted 1.8 Lakhs for the same I really love this car, and want to save it from getting scrapped.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:43   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Needed information on cleaning an oil bath air filter on a '72 1100D.

It is members SandeepMohan, under my care since last few years.

Is there a type of oil to be used or is it engine oil and if so, what grade? And do I need to clean the filter element or just replace oil?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th August 2020, 22:27   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Needed information on cleaning an oil bath air filter on a '72 1100D.

It is members SandeepMohan, under my care since last few years.

Is there a type of oil to be used or is it engine oil and if so, what grade? And do I need to clean the filter element or just replace oil?

Thanks in advance.

I generally clean the element with petrol and then use pressurised air,regarding the oil I use 20w40 oil for the oil bath air cleaner.
Samanyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:22   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Hey WhiteSierra,
1. Buying new is not the most feasible option here. Padmini's body shells are mostly available in all scrap shops and automobile seconds dealers. They should be pretty cheap as you any which will tinker and paint the whole vehicle.
2.4 Engine - I don't think you will need work with the gearbox. My dad's car has run 2 lakh kms and never needed any major gearbox. I would recommend though engine inspection to make sure its failsafe. This wouldn't cost you much
2.5 Suspensions and Tyres - Suspension work is quite inexpensive on padmini's. You can easily source some new ones for quite cheap. Tyres are the tricky part. You don't get the stock tyres available anymore brand new. You might have to go for a wider profile new one, but a word of caution here, the steering will become tight if you do this.

As far as your last quesiton goes, My dad always says it is not the best idea nor a feasible one technically or financially to rebuilt a good old car. But he still did it any way because of the value only he could understand. The car will have issues, but your dad will be a happy man driving it around. Trust me.

Hope this helps.
Good quality 2k paint job alone will cost close to 50 thousand.
Old 6th October 2020, 14:52   #1679
BHPian

PAL hub cap installation on Punto rims

Guys. Like some of you here I too wanted to go for 165/80r14 tubeless tyres for my PP. Hence grabbed a set of 5 punto rims from a friend. Now the next topic to worry about was the steel hub cap. Punto rims don't have any provision to install the caps.
So I decided to benchmark the idea from ambassador rims. In the ambassador the hub cap is held by 3 pins. But to obtain the dimensions I needed one amby rim which I got from a scrap yard. Yes, that's a risky place bearing the pandamic in mind. Removed the pins and passed on one of them to a lathe workshop in our neighbourhood. In 2 days he was ready with 15 such pieces. Took the pins and the rims to the same guy who did the fuel return pipe for the petrol tank. I had to spend 3 hours at his place till the first one was ready. So I left the place and asked him to call when all rims were ready. He gave a call after 5 days.
Attached pictures for your reference. Needs some preparation and painting. Hope they look good on my pp.
Regards,
Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-20200923_121628.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-20201006_114700.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-20201006_113414.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-20201006_113430.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:21   #1680
Senior - BHPian

This is regarding a 72' 1100d engine oil change.

Since I fired the mechanic, I was thinking of changing the oil myself, but a hurdle is draining and getting rid of the old oil.
I was thinking of visiting a Shell bunk since they do oil replacements. Is it a good idea and also if semi-synthetic is okay for this engine.

If I remember, the grade was 20w-50w. I also wanted to know the exact quantity required including the oil filter.

Thanks in advance.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks