Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 15:26   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ilangop - fuel return line must go into the tank directly. No tee connections. It will not work. I am travelling now. I will give details shortly.

What is your plan to do the accelerator linkage?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st February 2010, 16:09   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
What is your plan to do the accelerator linkage?
The S1 we are working on, already has a cable operated pedal. As you had mentioned earlier, we will be lengthening it after removing the pedal. I have long back copied and saved your explanation for this conversion. "[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Increase the length of the top lever by around 40 mm or use the top end from another 118NE lever (make one lever out of two)[/FONT][/COLOR]".
M-800 cable will be used in our case with the required welding.

Finally I change my mind to go with making a complete fuel return line as documented by you and as Adeesh has re-emphasised its importance.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:55   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Finally I change my mind to go with making a complete fuel return line as documented by you and as Adeesh has re-emphasised ts importance.
Very Good !! As for the air cleaner, purely by instinct and without any dimensions, I think 60mm should be enough, however before going out to buy the whole M-800 air cleaner assembly (wheresoever, new or from a car) just buy the aircleaner mounting rod (commonly referred to as "Maruti Car ka aircleaner ka dandi" by our Moray mamas) which fits on the carburetor. Fit it on the carburetor and close the bonnet and start the car. If the bonnet closes well and there is no vibration due to the rod touching the bonnet lid, give yourself a pat on the back!!

Also, the Maruti 1000 mikuni would lack the pep which the Solex gives. Hence, if you are ready to marginally compromise on the fuel economy (it would anyways be much more than the Solex) change the primary venturi and main jet to the one from Esteem. Esteems main jet is 101.3 as compared to 92.5 of the Zen which would be anemic for the Fiat engine in terms of performance. On doing so if you get a hunt near 1500-2000 rpm, change the primary pilot jet to the esteem otherwise leave everything else as it is.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 2nd February 2010 at 11:02.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:12   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
As manish sorted out my problem of park switch, i was thinking if anyone (especially bangalore guys) has a spare FIAT monogram like the one in attached pic. I am ready to pay for it as i need one for my car. Irrespective of whether it has good paint or chrome it should be in a decent condition as i would be putting it on my car after getting it painted. If anyone has it please PM me.

Samsag I have been to mysore last year where there is some food joint which is popular in that vicinity I am not sure of the place but I will confirm there is one Fiat of one vendor which is cut and used as mobile hotel which has got the ORIGINAL ALUMINIUM GRILL along with the MONOGRAM.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:46   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was thinking if anyone (especially bangalore guys) has a spare FIAT monogram like the one in attached pic. I am ready to pay for it
Sagar, why don't you hunt for such old parts in the car scrapyard... Its really fun to hunt for such old parts and the real excitement is when you find the part which you were desperately searching!!
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:13   #381
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah! I agree with Arun. Going to the scrap yard for window shopping is so much fun, especially if you have company. 2010 has been very fruitful for myself, sujith and arun. We have shopped many good parts in January. Our cars are the winners now. We intend to continue our shopping spree.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:16   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Sagar, why don't you hunt for such old parts in the car scrapyard... Its really fun to hunt for such old parts and the real excitement is when you find the part which you were desperately searching!!
Very true Mr Arun. Automobile scrapyard is heaven for people like us. The last time i went there, came home with lots of grease oil and dirt on my clothes and procured only a battery bracket/holder as i was literally searching for many things in the heap of scrap (precious parts for us).I enjoyed it very much.
There are 2 main reasons why i asked the b'lore guys to procure that monogram. First, it is not available here as these monograms are very rare to find and i assume that it is available there and secondly, i am getting some part shipped from Bangalore to Lucknow and the shipping charges will be less when combined.

Last edited by samsag12 : 2nd February 2010 at 18:17.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:58   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 2 main reasons why i asked the b'lore guys to procure that monogram. First, it is not available here as these monograms are very rare to find and i assume that it is available there and secondly, i am getting some part shipped from Bangalore to Lucknow and the shipping charges will be less when combined.
Classic Fiat parts are rare to find here too. But quite a few are available in Stephen's square.

What parts are you getting shipped from B'lore and from whom?!
Old 4th February 2010, 23:04   #384
Senior - BHPian

Is this an original PAL Steering or an aftermarket? It appears pretty original and appears latest. My guess is it was in the S1 era. I got this couple of days ago. I love the horn on this as it resmbles 118 NE and easy to honk while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0091.jpg  

Old 4th February 2010, 23:22   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Is this an original PAL Steering or an aftermarket? It appears pretty original and appears latest. My guess is it was in the S1 era. I got this couple of days ago. I love the horn on this as it resmbles 118 NE and easy to honk while driving.
After-market. The original steering wheel has a different pattern on the ring, the colour is different and the center monogram is oval with red background and "PAL" in golden.
Old 4th February 2010, 23:24   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
After-market. The original steering wheel has a different pattern on the ring, the colour is different and the center monogram is oval with red background and "PAL" in golden.
Ohh yeah Adheesh! Arun just pointed out to me that this is a Maruti Steering thats been fabricated. My hopes were soo short lived
Old 4th February 2010, 23:33   #387
Senior - BHPian

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-2.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
You mean this design?
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc09759.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 4th February 2010 at 23:34.
Old 4th February 2010, 23:36   #388
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah Arun. In persuit of a S1 Steering, I got the Maruti one. Nevertheless, it appears a bit similar. Ilango is the man who will help me with my S1 Steering horn button. Until then, the Maruti Steering would be on my S1
Old 5th February 2010, 14:43   #389
BHPian

My president's gearbox now has an alarmingly loud grinding noise (like metal against metal) when I am starting off in reverse gear and release the clutch. The noise is only there when the car is starting from stationary and goes away once the car is moving at 5km/hr in reverse.

I'll be taking the gearbox apart tomorrow - please provide inputs on what to look for.
Old 5th February 2010, 14:52   #390
BHPian

Please check the clutch fork and the release bearing. If the problem isn't here, only then proceed to opening up the gearbox.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks