Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 02:44   #601
Senior - BHPian

Three points out of my personal experience

1. If you back off the timing, the exhaust port temperatures shoot up. This will cause to overheat. Timing as per the reccomendation's is a must.

2. Pr. cap not only prevents the water from leaking but also increases the heat carrying capacity of water.

3. Always use Demineralised Water (DM) to help prevent scale formation. I have seen mechanics putting Distilled water or Tap water both way is incorrect.
Old 29th March 2010, 08:11   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
most important and most neglected part of the cooling system is the pressure cap. It should be of TECIL make ONLY, nothing else will work.
Is TECIL make pressure cap available in the market easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
3. Always use Demineralised Water (DM) to help prevent scale formation. I have seen mechanics putting Distilled water or Tap water both way is incorrect.
How is usage of distilled water incorrect? I am presently using coolant mixed with distilled water. What water is Demineralized water?

Last edited by funkykar : 29th March 2010 at 08:12.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:39   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
How is usage of distilled water incorrect? I am presently using coolant mixed with distilled water. What water is Demineralized water?
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:48   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
I know that we shouldnt use borewell water for sure. I never knew about distilled water. I always believed this is best and using it. What are the other best waters to use apart from Demineralized water?

Where can you find demineralized water in Bangalore?
Old 29th March 2010, 14:36   #605
BHPian

Quote:
No. Pure distill free of absolutely free of all solutes. Arre, thats the reason its used in batteries as well as injections by doctors. It is harmful to drink distill water for the same reason (absence of essential salts thus, it becomes hypotonic). However the presence (or absence) of microorganisms depends on the storage. Please refer Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 29th March 2010 at 14:37.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:42   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. Pure distill free of absolutely free of all solutes. Arre, thats the reason its used in batteries as well as injections by doctors. It is harmful to drink distill water for the same reason (absence of essential salts thus, it becomes hypotonic). However the presence (or absence) of microorganisms depends on the storage. Please refer Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
So my 4 cars running on coolant + distilled water are safe
Old 29th March 2010, 15:01   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
So my 4 cars running on coolant + distilled water are safe
Absolutely !! Majority of people use normal tap water and their cars run fine. But we being different would like to do things the "perfectly correct way". What say ?
Old 29th March 2010, 15:05   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely !! Majority of people use normal tap water and their cars run fine. But we being different would like to do things the "perfectly correct way". What say ?
Absolutely! We all really care for our cars. Sometimes, we sacrifice many other personal things in life just for our cars. We all like doing it.

I flushed all the water out of the cooling system a few times (once with some soap powder too) and then changed it over to coolant and distilled water.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:49   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Still not getting it. Demineralised may also be called Deionised water too (also used in Batteries). Distilled water is primarily used in medical and scientific application.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:55   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still not getting it. Demineralised may also be called Deionised water too (also used in Batteries). Distilled water is primarily used in medical and scientific application.

Could it be that the distilled water what we get is actually demineralized? I ask this as I see almost every petrol pump having distilled water bottles and cans
Old 29th March 2010, 21:38   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
with the borewell water bit! NEVER NEVER EVER let borewell water near a car!! I've had the terrible experience of using the damn thing for one of our cars' radiator, which resulted in it getting blocked up (the salt blocking up all the pipes inside! )
Luckily my mech. then pointed it out and got it cleaned up. 'learnt my lesson then!
'not sure about mineral water though.

Last edited by Stanher : 29th March 2010 at 21:43.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:20   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
with the borewell water bit! NEVER NEVER EVER let borewell water near a car!! I've had the terrible experience of using the damn thing for one of our cars' radiator, which resulted in it getting blocked up (the salt blocking up all the pipes inside! )
Luckily my mech. then pointed it out and got it cleaned up. 'learnt my lesson then!
'not sure about mineral water though.
Oh yeah! borewell water kills. I think mineral water would do the same thing, because of the minerals present?

If I remember correctly, somewhere, Behram sir stated that tap water is just fine and he is using it since a couple of decades atleast and never saw any issues.

Behram sir, what would the best and most correct way? Is it okay to use distilled water + coolant. I mean does it do any harm having distilled water + coolant?

Last edited by funkykar : 29th March 2010 at 22:26. Reason: EDIT: Added more info
Old 29th March 2010, 22:28   #613
Senior - BHPian

A heated discussion about the car heating problem.
Is it advisable to use the readymix coolant.This way one can eliminate the risk of pouring the wrong type of water with the coolant. I am using MAK REDICOOL ready to use coolant in my S1.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:32   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
A heated discussion about the car heating problem.
Is it advisable to use the readymix coolant.This way one can eliminate the risk of pouring the wrong type of water with the coolant. I am using MAK REDICOOL ready to use coolant in my S1.
Definitely! My temperature of my head shot to danger mark (even though temp on my cars dont cross the 40% mark) first thing when I woke up in morning and saw TBHP. I got mad at myself thinking what I considered a good conversion I did (change over to coolant + distilled water) might screw up my cars.

Ready mix coolant! Heard of them. How much do they cost?

Is it okay to use any brand any type of coolant for our cars? I find it difficult to choose from a store. Many dont state properly what vehicle it is intended for. I vaguely remember some types like 'heavy duty' and 'for turbo charged vehicles'
Old 29th March 2010, 22:42   #615
Senior - BHPian

As stated i use MAK redikool in my car. I bought 3bottles of 1ltrs each for my car which costed 350 total. Directly poured them in (around2.5ltrs) the degassing tank after flushing the old one. Regarding the brand do look out for the antifreeze and boil property stated on the coolant bottle. I don't remember the exact property right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks