Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 14:34   #691
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody throw some light on the wire(pointed) attached to the brake fluid box. Is it the sensor switch wire or something else?. recently the pipe of fluid got burst and all the fluid spilled over the distributor because my mechanic replaced it with some desi jeep one which doesn't have sensor. The first pic is of the original Premier fitting (courtesy Funkykar's car) & second pic is of the local non sensor unit on my car.

It will be of great help to me if someone can source the brake fluid box with sensor unit(or whatever it is called) for my S1. Also if anybody finds the windshield washer box with spray motor (or at least a cap of windshield washer box) please source it for me.

Mods: Do move this post to the relevant section, if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-21092009008.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-07022010226.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 15:16   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Can anybody throw some light on the wire(pointed) attached to the brake fluid box. Is it the sensor switch wire or something else?. recently the pipe of fluid got burst and all the fluid spilled over the distributor because my mechanic replaced it with some desi jeep one which doesn't have sensor. The first pic is of the original Premier fitting (courtesy Funkykar's car) & second pic is of the local non sensor unit on my car.

It will be of great help to me if someone can source the brake fluid box with sensor unit(or whatever it is called) for my S1. Also if anybody finds the windshield washer box with spray motor (or at least a cap of windshield washer box) please source it for me.

Mods: Do move this post to the relevant section, if needed.
Yes it is a sensor for actuating the brake light we had discussed. Its not really needed as we find solace in opening our bonnet and checking the brake fluid levels our self. i did not have one with a sensor, '95. You can fit a premier padmini case for a Tandem Master cylinder. If you still want it, search and will be a great find.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:35   #693
Senior - BHPian

My car came with this unit and it got burnt in fire. So to get vehicle back on road this crap box was fitted. BTW how many times in a day we tend to look at the levels. The brakes could have got damaged if i have not noticed the leakage. So the light has some importance attached to it(atleast to me).
Have found a similar box but its of the NE's brake booster so doesn't serves my purpose. Anyways, if you or anybody known to you do finds one please pick it up for my car.
Old 17th May 2010, 23:45   #694
Senior - BHPian

Until last week, water used to seep into my S1. Through the front wind shield beading and also from the wiper nozzles and place where the wiper comes out. Almost the whole of the shelf used to be wet during a rainly day and also on the floor.

I replaced the beading (ALP make), changed the nozzles and put a rubber beading for the wiper. Not a single drop of water enters now. Here are some pics I clicked when I removed the beading. There were some signs of rust, not to a very bad extent. I still wonder why the tinker/painter, did not remove the beading and paint while my restoration was on. I too overlooked and did not really think it would have mattered
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img0047a.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img0048a.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img0049a.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img0050a.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 11:09   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I have a few issues/questions about the fuel meter and the neck of the fuel tank.

1) When I full tanked my S1 prior to a trip yesterday, towards the end of filling, I noticed that there were some fuel spillage from bottom. It was right benath where tank is placed. It did nit leak from the lid. Around 50-100ml was visible. Is this common?

2) When I opemed the dickey, around the neck as pointed in the pic, I see a thick carpet type cloth wrapped on the neck. It was wet and smelled petrol when i felt it with my hand. Why is this so? Again, is it normal?

3) How does the fuel indicator show amount of fuel in the fiat? If you look closely it has 5 blocks including the red one. Couple are small and one is very big block. Why so? The area marked in green, the needle moves very slow and I get great mileage during this period. Why is that so?
Could someone please help me on this
Old 18th May 2010, 19:00   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I have a few issues/questions about the fuel meter and the neck of the fuel tank.
1) When I full tanked my S1 prior to a trip yesterday, towards the end of filling, I noticed that there were some fuel spillage from bottom. It was right benath where tank is placed. It did nit leak from the lid. Around 50-100ml was visible. Is this common?

No leakage especially incase of fuel is normal.

2) When I opemed the dickey, around the neck as pointed in the pic, I see a thick carpet type cloth wrapped on the neck. It was wet and smelled petrol when i felt it with my hand. Why is this so? Again, is it normal?

As stated, no leakage is 'normal'. In your case, the either the fuel tank filler hose (metal) or the connecting rubber hose must have a micro rupture. If it is the rubber hose, simply change it. Incase of the metal pipe, you can neither weld nor solder it for safety reasons. Simply replace it. Till the timebeing, ask the pump attendant to fill fuel slowly so that there is minimal leakage there.

3) How does the fuel indicator show amount of fuel in the fiat? If you look closely it has 5 blocks including the red one. Couple are small and one is very big block. Why so? The area marked in green, the needle moves very slow and I get great mileage during this period. Why is that so?

The "to the dot" calibration of the fuel gauge is not exactly vague but unique to each car. In case of my car, when I fill 5 liters of petrol on a totally empty tank, the needle touches the upper part of the red zone. At 10 liters, its on the lower side and just touching the 1/4 mark. So on and so forth. However, I have never extensively used a car with Concord instrument cluster and the above observations are based on the stock Padmini Yenkay instrument cluster.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 18th May 2010 at 19:02.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:10   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post

No leakage especially incase of fuel is normal.

As stated, no leakage is 'normal'. In your case, the either the fuel tank filler hose (metal) or the connecting rubber hose must have a micro rupture. If it is the rubber hose, simply change it. Incase of the metal pipe, you can neither weld nor solder it for safety reasons. Simply replace it. Till the timebeing, ask the pump attendant to fill fuel slowly so that there is minimal leakage there.

The "to the dot" calibration of the fuel gauge is not exactly vague but unique to each car. In case of my car, when I fill 5 liters of petrol on a totally empty tank, the needle touches the upper part of the red zone. At 10 liters, its on the lower side and just touching the 1/4 mark. So on and so forth. However, I have never extensively used a car with Concord instrument cluster and the above observations are based on the stock Padmini Yenkay instrument cluster.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Thanks a lot Adheesh!

So, I do have a problem. Based on your feedback, I will do the checks manually and take corrective actions. Yes, fuel is precious and every car owner knows that, especially people like us who have older cars
Old 18th May 2010, 23:35   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Incase of the metal pipe, you can neither weld nor solder it for safety reasons. Simply replace it. Till the timebeing, ask the pump attendant to fill fuel slowly so that there is minimal leakage there.
Adheesh,

This info was also given by the master himself. I have one query, in my Car fuel has not being filled since donkey years, and am damn sure it's leaking. Now can we go for soldering or welding of tank, a common phenomenon practiced by the local mechanics.

one method by http://www.ehow.com/how_2079121_repa...-gas-tank.html

Last edited by manishalive : 18th May 2010 at 23:42.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:24   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Adheesh,

This info was also given by the master himself. I have one query, in my Car fuel has not being filled since donkey years, and am damn sure it's leaking. Now can we go for soldering or welding of tank, a common phenomenon practiced by the local mechanics.

one method by How to Repair a Hole in a Gas Tank | eHow.com
Welding is out of question however, soldering can be done if the tank is kept vented to air for at least 10-20 days. However, since your car is still in the restoration stage, I suggest you keep an eye open for a cars which come for breaking at the scrapyard. Also, while painting the tank, ensure that no sandpaper is used to avoid damaging the original solders on the tanks surface.

Also, how comfortable is your mechanic with soldering the tank ? If a new tank cannot be sourced, that is the only option. I suggest that the soldering if required to be done, should take place away from you as well as the car for total safety just in case

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 19th May 2010, 16:42   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welding is out of question however, soldering can be done if the tank is kept vented to air for at least 10-20 days. However, since your car is still in the restoration stage, I suggest you keep an eye open for a cars which come for breaking at the scrapyard. Also, while painting the tank, ensure that no sandpaper is used to avoid damaging the original solders on the tanks surface.

Also, how comfortable is your mechanic with soldering the tank ? If a new tank cannot be sourced, that is the only option. I suggest that the soldering if required to be done, should take place away from you as well as the car for total safety just in case

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
I have not searched for a new tank, might be available as the resto is yet to commence . If not new then will go for solder. I will adher to safety practices .
Old 19th May 2010, 18:20   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I have not searched for a new tank, might be available as the resto is yet to commence . If not new then will go for solder. I will adher to safety practices .
Can't you put a PP tank to your car?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:44   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Can't you put a PP tank to your car?
yes why not, they are one and the same. The quality of repro's available could be an issue.

On other note I plan to crank my car, also repair the brake my self to be able to drive her atlease and get a feel of issues.

@ Adheesh: while cranking I will do a compression check (Equus compression gauge). Can you provide me the limits for the Fiat. For PP I believe they had higher comp ratio and thus have diff limits.

Also did the manual also have the Vacuum gauge chart to do an instant health check on engine.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:00   #703
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the mrf legend tyre for the padmini, they lasted me just around 28k km. Is this normal?
Old 20th May 2010, 17:04   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Can anybody throw some light on the wire(pointed) attached to the brake fluid box. Is it the sensor switch wire or something else?. recently the pipe of fluid got burst and all the fluid spilled over the distributor because my mechanic replaced it with some desi jeep one which doesn't have sensor.
Are those pinkish rubber hoses meant for use with brake fluid ?

They look like the hose pipes used for heaters to me - please do check that you have the correct pipes.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:33   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Are those pinkish rubber hoses meant for use with brake fluid ?

They look like the hose pipes used for heaters to me - please do check that you have the correct pipes.
Yes you pointed out right. They are not meant for this use. These pipes are fuel line pipes of Maruti van. I neither know which make pipe to use nor i would want to invest much at present in this car. Once i procure huge amount of vitamin M for the restoration work, will slowly gift the car its originality. So no big expenses for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks