Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 20:41   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
Hi All,

I want to restore my Dad's Padmini(MAP 3297, 84 Dec) to its original glory. I was able to service the car well when we were in Mumbai. However, I am finding it extremely tough to get the car repaired in Delhi after my father was transferred here. The mechanics here just dont understand the car and its seeing a gradual decay here.
I find that really strange. Accepted that Delhi has never had as much of a Fiat scene as Bombay, but there have been plenty of capable mechanics around none the less. There would still be many left from the days the Fiat flocked the roads, although I agree that most of them would have lost interest as the number of the cars dwindled. Certain parts are definitely getting harder to source and along with the time taken to mend a fault, repairing the still-running Fiats is not as remunerative as a modern car also since Fiat owners typically expect to be charged according to rates of the past! So generally there's inertia in taking up a Fiat for work. You'd need to find a good reference and then do some coaxing!

Last edited by Prabal : 9th April 2009 at 20:42.
Old 9th April 2009, 22:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
I thought Webber carbs work better on Fiat 1100s than Mikunis.
Webber carburetors (Twin Barrel) came on Italian Fiats (with mostly a 1221cc engine). They gave superb performance but terrible fuel economy. For the Mikuni, well I think Mr.Dhabhar would be able to comment on it better.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 9th April 2009, 23:50   #63

Yes, Webers do run better, Maybe a little better than a good Solex. But Mikunis will give you decent Performance(unless it is an Esteem carb or a race prepared carb) and will give you brilliant FE at the same time.

Btw. there is a race prepared(claimed) Esteem carb available in bombay.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaalsaigal View Post
Hi everyone... firstly let me congratulate you all. I am a die hard automobile enthusiast. I have grown up with Fiats in my family, and the last one my family bought was a 1994 Premier Padmini.

I always thought that I was passionate about cars but stumbling on your forums was a positive surprise.

A few days back I almost bought a 1957 Fiat 1100/103 from an old gentleman who had owned it for the last forty five years. The deal was almost through when the gentleman suddenly did not feel like parting with it. However for me the quest continues... so if anyone knows of anyone who wants to sell a Fiat 1100/103 1950-60 pls let me know. I can promise I will really take care of it.

Regards,
Kunaal Saigal
+91 9324594379

Kunaal many takers very few cars. Aap Kataar mein hain !!
Will let you know nevertheless.
Old 12th April 2009, 06:25   #65
BHPian

1962 Fiat 1100 Instruction Book

To all you Fiat Lovers!

When we purchased our 1962 Fiat 1100 Deluxe we found the Instruction Book for the Standard, Deluxe and Family Cars, a great resource and felt it might be of interest to other Fiat Owners.

Have posted a few pictures here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1256069

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2009 at 15:14. Reason: Linking to post w/ pictures.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:05   #66
BHPian

Thanks Behram Sir. I will take the pics and post them the next weekend around 25th April as I am a bit tiedup with work. Yes, its a Pune registered car. My dad purchased this in 1986 from one Mr. Salim Khan in Lonavla..Since then its with us and my dad just refuses to part with it despite the increasing costs. My dad was in the Civil Services and the car travelled along throught India including Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bhubaneswar, Bangalore, Udaipur etc...I have been maintaining it since the time I have started earning my own penny i.e.since the year 2000. Am shortly starting a thread with the pics of the Padmini and the Honda City which he acquired a month ago...My mobile is +919711308778. You may drop in a sms and I shall call back. Thanks and regards, Sandeep
Old 17th April 2009, 17:36   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I agree its a bit strange but thats a fact. Atleast 20 mechs have worked on it at Palika(Bhikaji) but havent been able toa djust the tappets nor get the perfect ignition timing. The brake setting goes awry frequently...For setting the brakes right, i visit a garage at INA market. They just do an ok to substandard job. The body parts are just not available here. I have even searched Kashmere Gate here which is supposed to be an auto spare parts hub! So I end up taking a pic of that particular part or panel area and send it to Mumbai to my friend who purchases them from Opera House. I get them in my luggage (I do up down the same day but carry an empty suitcase from Delhi to carry spare parts). The guys at the security area at the Mumbai airport well now considering the fact that I carry something or the other from Mumbai...Now they just simply ask me while screening the bag "Fiat ka spare parts le ja rahe ho kya? Phir kab aayenge?"
Old 30th April 2009, 16:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
Hi,

I agree its a bit strange but thats a fact. Atleast 20 mechs have worked on it at Palika(Bhikaji) but havent been able toa djust the tappets nor get the perfect ignition timing. The brake setting goes awry frequently...For setting the brakes right, i visit a garage at INA market. They just do an ok to substandard job. The body parts are just not available here. I have even searched Kashmere Gate here which is supposed to be an auto spare parts hub! So I end up taking a pic of that particular part or panel area and send it to Mumbai to my friend who purchases them from Opera House. I get them in my luggage (I do up down the same day but carry an empty suitcase from Delhi to carry spare parts). The guys at the security area at the Mumbai airport well now considering the fact that I carry something or the other from Mumbai...Now they just simply ask me while screening the bag "Fiat ka spare parts le ja rahe ho kya? Phir kab aayenge?"

Dear Sandeep,

As what I can see you might feeling why you don't stay in Bombay. I can feel it. Regarding getting a good mechanic inspite of me staying close to Bombay central (which is the hub for bombay cabs) it has been always difficult. So its a matter of luck to find a good mech. Nevertheless, best of luck and keep the passion burning.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

EXPERTS, able to understand the technicalities is one thing & putting it across to a mechanic & getting it done as per the script in this thread is another coupled with the availability of spares. I for one, am loving it to the core. It is just that the technical info is making me tizzy.

can anyone take the subject of converting Premier Padmini 1990 model (non S1 engine) in to a LPG/CNG fuelled one. Pros & cons of it.

KUDOS TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE SUBSCRIBING QUALITATIVELY TO MAKE LIFE OF PEOPLE LIKE ME EASIER

HAIL FIATians, HAIL PADMINIans..
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:30   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone take the subject of converting Premier Padmini 1990 model (non S1 engine) in to a LPG/CNG fuelled one. Pros & cons of it.
Why would you want to do it ? If you want more fuel economy, you can go in for 20.5 mm venturi with 97.5 main jet. This gives approximately 15 kmpl in the city and 17 on the expressway. Moreover converting to CNG / LPG reduces engine life and would make the car very sluggish.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
EXPERTS, able to understand the technicalities is one thing & putting it across to a mechanic & getting it done as per the script in this thread is another coupled with the availability of spares. I for one, am loving it to the core. It is just that the technical info is making me tizzy.

can anyone take the subject of converting Premier Padmini 1990 model (non S1 engine) in to a LPG/CNG fuelled one. Pros & cons of it.

KUDOS TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE SUBSCRIBING QUALITATIVELY TO MAKE LIFE OF PEOPLE LIKE ME EASIER

HAIL FIATians, HAIL PADMINIans..

Well,

Fiats have been known for excellent donar cars for Conversion provided they have good Ignition system health, LPG / CNG being slow burning fuel they require a good amount of Spark. Further if you advance the timing by another 3-4 deg the engine runs even better but at an expense of driveability in petrol mode (few electronic ignition advance devices are available for advancing the timing when on gas and returning to normal when on petrol).

Further a dedicated Gas only car will perform better with an increase in comp ratio of 1 (as the octane no of LPG being 100-110 and CNG 120 as against 87 of normal petrol)

Having said all that an LPG / CNG car should use Engine Oil Specifically made only for GAS Engines.

As far as my experience with LPG goes, it corrodes / eats all the cardurettor Jets and passages and after a prolonged use you cannot simply run on petrol.

Another drawback is the engine needs top end overhaul after 40-45 thousand kilometers on running on GAS.

This fact is verified by lot of 3 wheelers running on LPG in Bangalore, they simply pur extra dose of 2T oil to reduce engine wear and therefore give out white smoke.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Gas kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
As far as my experience with LPG goes, it corrodes / eats all the cardurettor Jets and passages and after a prolonged use you cannot simply run on petrol.
Thanks for the Info, first thing i am going to do now is to remove the gas kit on my car!!
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:17   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chanu - I read your PM but as I am upto my neck in work, there is no time to reply. One sentence though - STAY AWAY FROM CNG AND OTHER RELATED ALTERNATE FUELS. I will give all details as I get time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2009, 22:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Jalwa Horns

After searching a lot I bought these Original Jalwa Horns(HI and LO) from the scrapyard for my Fiat today. I got the horns opened and they were neatly cleaned and checked. After bargaining a lot I paid Rs. 600. Is it worth the money? And are they easily available elsewhere.?
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc09243.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc09244.jpg  

Old 24th July 2009, 23:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Oh those jalwa horns are lovely, and definitely worth the money. There are a few remaining in Mumbai's chor bazaar, at similar prices. Good Buy !
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks