Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 11:36   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks a lot Adheesh for the correct readings. Really appreciate that. I plan to get the timing of my car checked so what tools are needed for this work. Hopefully an old electrician (he worked on our fiats for the past 24 yrs) would be having the said tool. I think i just need to tell him the correct reading. What do you say.
As my signature on this forum goes, theres only one way to set the ignition timing correctly. Follow these steps.

1. Set the point gap to 0.40 mm. (This should give you the dwell angle as 58 degrees.) If you have access to a dwell meter, set it to 60 degrees which is the company specification.

Please note that changing the point gap changes the ignition timing. Hence it has to be done BEFORE setting the ignition timing.

2. Get the distributor rotor to fire the first cylinder ie. it should point to the cable that goes to the first spark-plug on the cap. On normal cars, you can keep the car in neutral and move the fan with you hand. To do this on the S1, you would need to move the car by pushing it with the fourth gear engaged till the rotor comes to the desired position.

3. At this point when you look at the main pulley, (There are 3 of them ; Alternator/Dynamo, Waterpump and the main pulley) you'll see four markings on the pulley. Three together and one to their left. Move the car in the fourth gear slightly so that the center mark of the three marks together corresponds to the mark on the timing cover. Now put the car in neutral so that this position of the engine doesn't change.

4. Turn on just the ignition (where the two lights would turn on). Now loosen the 10 mm bolt of that holds the distributor. Its a longitudinal bolt pointing towards the transmission just below the main distributor body.

5. Rotate the distributor until theres spark in the CB points. You'll hear a distinct click. This is the critical position. Without moving the distributor, tighten the 10mm bolt.

6. Put the distributor cap back and start the car. It WOULD start in half a crank.

7. Now with the engine idling and warmed up, check the timing again. Fine adjustments can be made with the micrometer screw given on the distributor while the car is running.

Now hence forth, if the valve train if all right, even after thousands of kilometers, you'll just need to set the point gap to compensate its wear and tear. The ignition timing will automatically be right. Thats the beauty of this mechanism.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 27th October 2010 at 11:46.
adheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 15:49   #812
Senior - BHPian

Adheesh once again thanks a lot for providing the step by step procedure to set the ignition timing. I really admire your fiatful passion. I will definitely carry out the said work, with the help of a mechanic, as per your reference and keep you updated on this.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:44   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
3. At this point when you look at the main pulley, (There are 3 of them ; Alternator/Dynamo, Waterpump and the main pulley) you'll see four markings on the pulley. Three together and one to their left. Move the car in the fourth gear slightly so that the center mark of the three marks together corresponds to the mark on the timing cover. Now put the car in neutral so that this position of the engine doesn't change.
will automatically be right. Thats the beauty of this mechanism.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
I see you suggesting the use of Dwell meter, but for timing you did not suggested timing light (if avaialble). I think that will be more easire to understand and adjust.

please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 27th October 2010, 22:33   #814
BHPian

All nipples set for Padmini

I have done some basic engine overhauling, interior and painting overcoat of my 1987 make Padmini in 2000. I remember at that time my mechanic changed all greasing point nipples.
Now almost after 10 years, is it required to change all nipples?
If yes, what is approx. cost of set? which make? How many per 1 set?
How much we should pay to mechanic?
Old 28th October 2010, 09:52   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I see you suggesting the use of Dwell meter, but for timing you did not suggested timing light (if avaialble). I think that will be more easire to understand and adjust.

please correct me if I am wrong.

In the seventh step, I did mention checking the timing with the engine idling for finer adjustments. This can only be done with the timing light !
Old 28th October 2010, 10:29   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the seventh step, I did mention checking the timing with the engine idling for finer adjustments. This can only be done with the timing light !
Oh my mistake . By the way I have got timing light, rpm/dwell meter, feeler gauge, vacuum gauge + compression gauge and lastly multimeter which I think are good enough tools to tune a Fiat.

Any thing else would you reccomend off?
Old 29th October 2010, 09:49   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Oh my mistake . By the way I have got timing light, rpm/dwell meter, feeler gauge, vacuum gauge + compression gauge and lastly multimeter which I think are good enough tools to tune a Fiat.

Any thing else would you reccomend off?
If you are rebuilding the engine in your car yourself, a torque wrench should be ideal.
Old 29th October 2010, 09:52   #818
BHPian

I always wanted to have a set of box spanners with a torque wrench, but always backed away due to financial constraints
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2010, 09:53   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are rebuilding the engine in your car yourself, a torque wrench should be ideal.
That's the missing piece in my Tool Box, also my mechanic too dosent have the same. After the festival we will be assembling the engine :O}

What range would suffice for our fiats. Yesterday I bought a new box and some spanners / tools missing from years of use.

Last edited by manishalive : 29th October 2010 at 09:59.
Old 14th November 2010, 19:16   #820
BHPian

Mods: Please move post if posted in wrong section.

Guys,
Do you have any information regarding the A/C that came along with the PP Deluxe BE? Because, i was told by my A/C mechanic that hereafter gas cannot be refilled in PP's as there is some sort of a regulation with regard to the gas used/ the A/C system used. Not sure what it is though. Hence he said that the A/C unit has to be changed in order to make it cool hereafter!
He also added that this might cost somewhere around Rs.10,000!
Any idea guys, please help.

Regards & Thanks
Old 14th November 2010, 22:25   #821
BHPian

@freakmuzik :its the age old r12 refigerant to r134a shift problem. well ideally there should be a change in most parts, but honestly, your mechanic is trying to make money off you. Back in the day r12 refridgerant was used but then it was banned since it damages the ozone layer.

all you need to do is change the compressor oil to an r134 compatible oil, change the expansion valve and the receiver drier bottle, and also blow air through the system to remove all traces of the old r12 oil.then refill the system with new r134 gas thats used in vehicles today. Should cost maximum 2.5-3 thousand

and go to a different mechanic this time round
Old 15th November 2010, 23:06   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@freakmuzik :its the age old r12 refigerant to r134a shift problem. well ideally there should be a change in most parts, but honestly, your mechanic is trying to make money off you. Back in the day r12 refridgerant was used but then it was banned since it damages the ozone layer.

all you need to do is change the compressor oil to an r134 compatible oil, change the expansion valve and the receiver drier bottle, and also blow air through the system to remove all traces of the old r12 oil.then refill the system with new r134 gas thats used in vehicles today. Should cost maximum 2.5-3 thousand

and go to a different mechanic this time round
Wow, that was a quick reply. Thanks a lot. Lucky that i did not replace the system according to his words! Will surely try this and i am surely going to try some other mechanic. Thanks a ton mycarhasablower
Old 18th November 2010, 09:00   #823
BHPian

premier padmini 95 s1, got my car yesterday.

hi guys, got my dream fulfilled of buying an s1 after selling my earlier padmini some seven years back. Some things i need help on, the earlier owner has fixed a maruti carburater he says the car gives about 16 kmpl but i was not too happy with the performance, the car is sluggish in intial pick up. No douth the car is going for a service and tune-up first but should i change it back to the s1carburater or will it get better with a service. Some pics of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-16112010269.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-16112010270.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-16112010271.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-16112010272.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 10:54   #824
Senior - BHPian

whicked wheels congrats on the purchase. The car looks quite good physically ( being a S1). I think its a EXECUTIVE model. Please do revert back to the original Solex Bicsa carburetor which i hope that the seller has given to you. A well tuned one will give you 13-14KMPL with ease. Also whats the condition of the engine. DO post some interior and engine bay snaps for further comments.
Old 18th November 2010, 15:06   #825
BHPian

thanks samsag12, the owner has not given the original carburater but he has promised to do so. Just got the old tattered and dirty seat covers removed and to my suprise the original uphostry was asgood as new, not torn nothing. Gave it a good vaccume cleaning and are looking fresh. The engine seems to be running fine.a little misfiring and stalling in cold but once she gets to tempreture its ok. The owner said he had just serviced it but i am going to change all the lubricants, filters, cords, spark plugs, point and condensor. Is there any thing i should look at too. The car is a delux be model, a/c and it has floor gears. Will post pics of the interiors and the engine bay in an hour or so.

Most Viewed