Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 18:28   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
thanks samsag12, the owner has not given the original carburater but he has promised to do so. Just got the old tattered and dirty seat covers removed and to my suprise the original uphostry was asgood as new, not torn nothing. Gave it a good vaccume cleaning and are looking fresh. The engine seems to be running fine.a little misfiring and stalling in cold but once she gets to tempreture its ok. The owner said he had just serviced it but i am going to change all the lubricants, filters, cords, spark plugs, point and condensor. Is there any thing i should look at too. The car is a delux be model, a/c and it has floor gears. Will post pics of the interiors and the engine bay in an hour or so.
whicked wheels just make sure that the carburetor is Solex Bicsa only as they are hard to find just as a S1 is hard to find. Its great that the original upholstery is as good as new, my humble request please preserve it by installing new covers. Misfiring can be due to faulty or loose spark plug wires. Do get all the lubes changed as per the specifications posted in this
thread.Though i would strongly suggest you to revert back to the original Bicsa or a Solex M32 carburetor for good reasons.
Regarding the model name, yours is a Premier Padmini S1 Executive model and not the Deluxe be one.
Do post the detailed pics of the car soon.

Last edited by samsag12 : 18th November 2010 at 18:36.
Old 18th November 2010, 18:45   #827
Senior - BHPian

Gurus i need to clear some doubts regarding the following:
1. Can a left hand moving wiper's machine replace the right hand moving one. Can they be fixed to the car with out any modification & alteration.
2. Whats the procedure to change the spark plug of a PP. I have the basic tools for accomplishing the said job so wanted to know can it be done as a DIY.
3. Are the closed type radiators of Diesel fiats and Padmini S1 same in design. What about the availability of the S1 radiators & its price.
Old 20th November 2010, 12:45   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Gurus i need to clear some doubts regarding the following:
1. Can a left hand moving wiper's machine replace the right hand moving one. Can they be fixed to the car with out any modification & alteration.
2. Whats the procedure to change the spark plug of a PP. I have the basic tools for accomplishing the said job so wanted to know can it be done as a DIY.
3. Are the closed type radiators of Diesel fiats and Padmini S1 same in design. What about the availability of the S1 radiators & its price.
The wiper motors on S1s were cable operated types. Mostly the orientation of the wiper blades shouldn't make a difference here.

Changing sparkplugs in a Fiat is a very simple and straightforward. As you mentioned having tools (mostly a box wrench of the specified size), removing the plugs is straightforward. However while fitting new plugs, ensure that the following guidelines are followed to the 'T'.

1. The market, atleast in Mumbai is overloaded with duplicate Bosch spark-plugs. Try to locate a authorized Bosch service center in your area, typically they service the diesel injection pumps, alternators, etc and are present in most cities and towns. Bosch Mico has two variants for our specification i.e. M14*1.25 short thread. The model numbers are WQ7BC and W175Z1. I prefer the WQ7BC in my cars. Check the electrodes of all sparkplugs before purchasing them. The model number printed on the ceramic insulator should also match with our requirement.

Even if you fit these new plugs directly the car will run, but things will end there. If you want the car to perform exactly the way it is meant to, go to step 2

2. The workmanship on these plugs has gone to the dogs over the years. I could notice the difference in quality over the last two years itself. If you notice carefully you'll see that the center electrode and the ground electrode ( Refer the attached image for nomenclature) are not in line. Using a nose plier, very carefully and cautiously get them in a straight line.
When you hold the plug inverted and look straight from the top, you should not be able to see the center electrode. You can use a typical school steel scale for reference.

3. From the company, these plugs come with 0.6mm (24 thou) of gap. PALs specification is 0.9mm (36 thou) which earlier used to work perfectly but with the new plugs, from the past 2-3 years, never works correctly perhaps due to quality issues. After lot of trials, I have noticed that 0.7mm (28 thou) works the best. Use a clean, oil free feeler gauge to set the plug gap to 0.7mm (28 thou). It is imperative that the feeler gauge should be sterile clean Check the alignment of center and ground electrode again.

4. Now the fit the sparkplugs onto the car. Ensure that the high tension terminal is tight. The sparkplug should screw in freely and fit snugly. Do not use force and never over-tighten. The threads on cylinder head which being made up of aluminium can be ruined easily. I have learnt it the hard way.

5. Make sure that the high tension cables are sterile clean and fit snugly with a click without any slag.

This is also a good time to ensue that your dwell angle and timing are in order. I can assure you that you'll be blown away with the smoothness and refinement of the engine when you start it not to mention the power.
Attached Images

Last edited by adheesh : 20th November 2010 at 12:50.
Old 20th November 2010, 21:22   #829
Senior - BHPian

Adheesh thanks a lot for the help. Most probably after getting the silencer fixed will get the plugs changed keeping in mind the plug nos. BTW i am still a little confused about the wiper motor of the car. From what i know there are 2 types of wiper machines one is somewhat rectangle in shape and the other is round one which has the park switch integrated in it.
Is there any difference in the round shaped machine too.
Old 20th November 2010, 22:41   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Adheesh thanks a lot for the help. Most probably after getting the silencer fixed will get the plugs changed keeping in mind the plug nos. BTW i am still a little confused about the wiper motor of the car. From what i know there are 2 types of wiper machines one is somewhat rectangle in shape and the other is round one which has the park switch integrated in it.
Is there any difference in the round shaped machine too.
The older cars had rod operated linkage based wiper motors while the newer cars had the cable operated wiper motors. Cars before President and some Presidents too (Rony correct me if I am wrong here) had the wiper motors behind the dashboard and not in the engine bay. What you'll require is the newer cable operated wiper motor i.e the round one.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 21st November 2010, 20:10   #831
Senior - BHPian

Ok now i understand which type of wiper machine to pick up from scrapyard. BTW today while cleaning the car found the outer covering of the Mico Plugs which are currently fitted on the car. It states "W 7 BC" gap 0.8mm. If i am able to get the same specification new plugs then i wouldn't have to do any adjustment on the same.

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st November 2010 at 20:15.
Old 24th November 2010, 18:05   #832
Senior - BHPian

Today i bought a pack of Mico spark plugs as per the specifications provided by Adheesh. The specs are 0.7mm gap, model no. WQ7BC 4. I think the 4 in the series must be for "4" stroke engines. I hope now i don't have to do any changes in the gap. Thanks a lot Adheesh for the help and support you provided.
I was wondering do i have to revert back to the black thick clip type spark plug wires for good reasons as my car was fitted with the thin green screw type wires after the lines burnt. IIRC Lispart is one brand which makes good quality wires. Should i go ahead and change the wires too or is it safe driving with the green ones.

BTW Sorry for the crappy pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0574.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0575.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0576.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 24th November 2010 at 18:09.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:13   #833
BHPian

need help on the s1carb

Yesterday i had been to the scrap guy for a carburater for the s1 he showed me a german make one and said its the original s1 carb, guys please check the pictures out and let me konw if its the original one. On the other hand will the uno carburater perform better than a s1 carb and would it be practical. Here are the pictures of the german carb.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-25112010276.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-25112010277.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-25112010278.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-25112010279.jpg  

Last edited by whicked wheels : 26th November 2010 at 10:22.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:54   #834
Senior - BHPian

whicked wheels It seems like it was lying in his shop for years. Anyways its not the original one. i am posting the pics of original S1 carburetor for reference. Also one word of caution from my side, if you purchase the German make carburetor then sourcing packing and jets for the same would be very hard. In any case you would have to open up the carburetor before fixing it on the car. So do make a note of that.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-1.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-2.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-4.jpg  

Old 26th November 2010, 15:40   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Today i bought a pack of Mico spark plugs as per the specifications provided by Adheesh. The specs are 0.7mm gap, model no. WQ7BC 4. I think the 4 in the series must be for "4" stroke engines. I hope now i don't have to do any changes in the gap. Thanks a lot Adheesh for the help and support you provided.
I was wondering do i have to revert back to the black thick clip type spark plug wires for good reasons as my car was fitted with the thin green screw type wires after the lines burnt. IIRC Lispart is one brand which makes good quality wires. Should i go ahead and change the wires too or is it safe driving with the green ones.

BTW Sorry for the crappy pics.
Sagar, I still insist that you check the electrode alignment as well as the gap before fitting them on the car.
Regarding the high tension cables, S1s came with carbon core cables to reduce radio interference. Mr Dhabhar had once mentioned the resistance of these cable being too high for optimum performance. I suggest you get hold of original metal core cables.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 26th November 2010, 15:42   #836
BHPian

Thanks samsag12 the guy was asking a grand for the german carb not going in for it. how much should i pay for an s1 carb.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:56   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Sagar, I still insist that you check the electrode alignment as well as the gap before fitting them on the car.
Regarding the high tension cables, S1s came with carbon core cables to reduce radio interference. Mr Dhabhar had once mentioned the resistance of these cable being too high for optimum performance. I suggest you get hold of original metal core cables.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
I would definitely check the things you mentioned, a good reason for procuring a good feeler gauge. Regarding the wires can you state the make of the metal core cables and also what color of insulation they have (i mean the color of the wires) Do state indicative price too.

Quote:
Thanks samsag12 the guy was asking a grand for the german carb not going in for it. how much should i pay for an s1 carb.
AS many would suggest you including me, don't just go and pick any carb stated by the scrapper as good (chalu carboretor in their lingo). S1 carbs are somewhat hard to find but being in Pune you can get it. Ideal price of a working S1 carburetor would be somewhere around 400-500Rs. Try to buy carburetor of a car which was driven to the scrapyard. Not to mention DO check for the leakages around the float chamber.

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th November 2010 at 15:57.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:04   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 1800 was the price of a box pack Solex BICSA or S1 carb in other words, in 2004. You can get it for Rs. 300-500 max.
Just for information, took a round at my regular haunt, a place known as Ghaas Galli. Its a place where efficiency talks. An entire suspension is opened up in 20 mins flat. In half a day suspension overhaul is done.
On doing some intelligence gathering came to know that mostly the secondhand S1 engines were doing the rounds in the cabs. Which means a good supply of S1 engines, either in Chor Bazaar or CST Road.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:52   #839
Senior - BHPian

FIATians! How good are these plug wires? PLEASE advice!
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-spm_a0417.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-spm_a0418.jpg  

funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2010, 21:34   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wicked Wheels - the carburettor which you have photographed is the Pierburg carburettor. This carburettor is NOT for S1 engine. I tested it in January 1988 in Navsari on MMY6058, a brown Premier Padmini Standard car. 5000 pieces were imported in 1989. The inlet manifold, air cleaner, accelerator linkages are all different. It also needs a fuel treurn line. I had designed, developed and tested all these adaptation parts. All these carburettors were kept in the engine assembly plant stores. They were to be used for Padmini cars having standard engine but alongwith 3.9:1 axle ratio (rationalized driveline). They got submerged in the Mumbai floods which came in June 1990 and also between 08 to 10 June 1991 when the whole plant was under water for 3 days and 1700 cars were completely submerged upto the roof (chassis numbers starting from 55). I was one of the team leaders who corrected these cars in 22 days. For Pierburg carburettors, casual labour was applied to clean each carburettor which spoilt them further. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS CARBURETTOR AT ALL, IT WILL NEVER WORK PROPERLY.

Dear Samsag12 - the carburettor which you have photographed is MCS1069 BICSA but it does not have the sector for fitting the accelerator cable and the delay valve, although the return spring mounting bracket and throttle opener is there. DRESS LEVEL IS NOT COMPLETE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. For your wiper query, the parking position for LH / RH parking wiper motors isdifferent. For RH parking motor, the operating blade angle is 110 degrees. For LH parking motor, the operating blade angle is 105 degrees. Rack length / pipe length is more for LH parking system by 155 mm as compared to RH parking system. PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Dear Karthik - the spark plug wires are for the Padmini but they are not original. I had designed this set also. The length of the spark plug wire of cylinder number 1 is 410 mm. The solder on the eye terminals may not be OK. The plug end covers of such wires are made of natural rubber which does not take the cylinder head heat. PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 28th November 2010 at 21:40.

Most Viewed