Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2014, 21:06   #1036
BHPian

re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

I am in need of a vaccum gauge that i can connect to the intake manifold so that i can tune the engine of my S1 better.
Does anyone know where in Mumbai or India i can get a vacuum gauge for automotive use..
Old 17th August 2014, 20:47   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

A link to scroll though the Fiat 1100 Super Select Owners Manual :

http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...tructions-book

Selected Fiat model Manuals can be downloaded in PDF format from this link:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/541...-1100-103.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th August 2014 at 20:50.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 10:08   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
I am in need of a vaccum gauge that i can connect to the intake manifold so that i can tune the engine of my S1 better.
Does anyone know where in Mumbai or India i can get a vacuum gauge for automotive use..
I bought one from www.Aliexpress.com. It works, though I have no guarantee on its accuracy. If you live close to any industrial estate, take a look in hydraulic & pneumatic part shops. You can get gauges of good brands.
Old 18th August 2014, 19:40   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
You can get gauges of good brands.
I dont usually like aliexpress shipping to India as they take forever to arrive..

There are some shops here,but the gauges dont have the push type hose adapter.They are 1/4inch threaded connections..
Old 28th August 2014, 11:31   #1040
BHPian

Does anyone have the pricelist of all Premier Padmini models? Mine is a '95 S1 and I am gonna have to pay the LTT here at Bangalore and the RTO may ask for the original price.
Old 29th August 2014, 02:41   #1041
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Does anyone have the pricelist of all Premier Padmini models? Mine is a '95 S1 and I am gonna have to pay the LTT here at Bangalore and the RTO may ask for the original price.
Guess this could help?

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-1409260247711.jpg
h14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 10:12   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Guess this could help?
Thank you thank you thank you
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 14:54   #1043
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is looking for an invoice for a Padmini S1 1997. Anyone in Bangalore can help me with that?
Old 16th December 2014, 09:23   #1044
BHPian

Do we get door panel clips for 118NE ? Might need some as few clips in my door panels have given away due to rust and old age.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 13:48   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sagar - my post 955 is very clear. Everything (Maruti van filter and pump with pipes) is located below the spare wheel. Route a wire through the ignition switch or a separate switch, whatever you prefer. After everything is done, put the spare wheel, tighten the center holddown bolt and cover it with the carpet, nobody will even know that it is there. UCAL does not make these pumps any more but they are still available, at least in the Mumbai Opera House market.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
So on a 1100D with a mechanical Fuel pump, will the outlet from the newly introduced electric fuel pump feed into the Mechanical Pump as usual? Or the mechanical pump can/has to be bypassed.

Moreover, is this a PP distributor, if yes, would like to know what type it is?

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_79051.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_79061.jpg
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 11:22   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So on a 1100D with a mechanical Fuel pump, will the outlet from the newly introduced electric fuel pump feed into the Mechanical Pump as usual? Or the mechanical pump can/has to be bypassed. Moreover, is this a PP distributor, if yes, would like to know what type it is?
Dear Anirban - on your electronic fuel pump query, you are correct, the outlet from the electronic fuel pump will feed into the mechanical pump as usual. Just by looking inside the engine compartment, nobody will even know that the electronic fuel pump is fitted below the spare wheel. All the fuel lines in the engine compartment remain exactly the same as before.

On your distributor query, Lucas TVS distribuotrs for PP car came in 5 types. Initially introduced in around 1974 to replace the original Magneti Marelli distributor, the base drive was a little longer with two adjustments, one from the mounting and second from the intermediate plate (similar to what is seen in the photographs that you have posted). Then in around 1981, the intermediate adjustment was removed. Both these distributors had only centrifugal advance of 15 degrees cam angle built into them. Then in 1986, vacuum advance distributor was introduced for the first time to meet the 1996 emission norm ECE15.04. The Lucas TVS part number of this distributor ended as "65A". This distributor had centrifugal advance of 13 degrees, as compared to 15 degrees earlier, but this was to be used with 10 degrees BTDC ignition timing. However, due to leaner setting of the mixture strength introduced to obtain good fuel efficiency, pinging and knocking was observed from the cars in the field. Therefore, in order to resolve this issue and also continue to obtain good fuel efficiency, distributor with Lucas TVS part number "65B" was tested in February 1989 and then introduced in production. In this distributor, one of the springs of the centrifugal advance was changed, it was imported from Lucas England and fitted. Incidentally, the same spring was used in the Standard 2000 car also. At the same time, the S1 engine was being developed. A third distributor was developed with AVL defined characteristics, with the Lucas TVS part number "90A". This distributor was to be used with 7 degrees BTDC ignition timing. S1 prototypes were made and tested in 1992 and the car was introduced in 1993.

The distributor in the photograph is not a PP distributor. The direction of rotation is anticlockwise, the vacuum advance diaphragm position is opposite to what is required. This one seems to be an Ambassador distributor but with the straight outlet cap on it. As far as I remember, Ambassador had the 90 degree outlet cap. I had actually fitted an Ambassador distributor on a PP car engine and started the engine on the test bed, but power output was pathetic as expected. This was done when we were working with Lucas TVS to develop the vacuum advance.

I hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 15:44   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Performance - satisfactory drivability, acceleration and braking performance with only mechanical pump application / electronic / both pumps in series application. No fuel smell. Fuel level maintenance in carburettor satisfactory. Marginal hot weather deterioration in gradient test in Padmini application with Solex carburettor (without fuel return line). Car stalled 100m after "Khandala 8kms" milestone with 42 degrees ambient temperature.

Reply to your specific query not covered above - if mechanical fuel pump diaphgagm fails, petrol will enter the oil sump and engine will stall. I have driven Mumbai - New Delhi - Mumbai only on electronic fuel pump with Twin Solex carburettor with optimized fuel return line, covered 1475 kms in one day with continuous driving time of 17 hours (0600 hrs Lajpat Nagar, 2300 hrs Dadar Parsi Colony).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Sir, I may need to implement this setup very shortly. Yesterday, my S1's mechanical fuel pump started giving me trouble. It works very intermittently.

I have a UCAL electric pump and will install at the rear under stephney.

My question is:
IF the mechanical fuel pump is cranky and working only intermittently, having the electric pump at the rear would still be able to pump past the intermittent mechanical pump? Or should I repair/bypass the mechanical pump with this setup?

Last edited by funkykar : 12th January 2015 at 15:46.
Old 14th January 2015, 13:19   #1048
BHPian

Re: Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D

[quote
My question is:
IF the mechanical fuel pump is cranky and working only intermittently, having the electric pump at the rear would still be able to pump past the intermittent mechanical pump? Or should I repair/bypass the mechanical pump with this setup?[/quote]

My two penny bit|

Bypass the mechanical pump and run with ucal

Thereafter remove the mechanical pump, repair, refit and revert to original.

Mechanical pumps work well if the body has not warped and are simple to repair. Ucal will work perfectly till it fails, then you are stuck.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 18:41   #1049
BHPian

Hi there!
have a question for the gurus.
What PCD are the rims of a PP S1?
I want to get some nice alloys
Old 16th January 2015, 18:50   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Hi there!
have a question for the gurus.
What PCD are the rims of a PP S1?
I want to get some nice alloys
It is 98 PCD, no doubt. The Punto 14 inch wheel is a perfect fit. Not sure about the other Fiat alloys.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3605338

Just for your information, Palio Stile rims were a match for 118NE given that one had to file the inside diat of the rim by 0.5mm. PCD is still 98.

Punto alloys may fit direct on Padmini since the rim is direct fit. After market 98 PCD alloys may need a spighot ring or filing of the inside dia of the alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post

My two penny bit|

Bypass the mechanical pump and run with ucal

Thereafter remove the mechanical pump, repair, refit and revert to original.

Mechanical pumps work well if the body has not warped and are simple to repair. Ucal will work perfectly till it fails, then you are stuck.
Many many thanks BullDogJi!!! I have precisely done the same. Due to the lack of time, I have fitted the pump in the engine bay. Will relocate to under the spare wheel as Behram suggested at a later time. Car is doing just normal.

Last edited by funkykar : 16th January 2015 at 19:04.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks