Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:08   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Take the sample and go into the market. If you ask specifically for 118 NE you will run out all over India. Take a standard Gabriel , etc and compare eye and length . If Ok then you should be just fine

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hello All,

A friend is looking for rear shock absorbers for his 118 NE petrol. Its not available anywhere in Bangalore. Any pointers? Slightly urgent!

Also, the S1 type (similar to header) exhaust is available at Best Automobiles. Grab it before stock gets over. I remember lot of discussions on how difficult it is to get this even in scrap market. Though after market, it should have reasonable life. I replaced it for my S1. The one on the car was very weak and needed a weld every 6-7 weeks.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:39   #1472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The S1 type (similar to header) exhaust is available at Best Automobiles.
Dear Karthik - you must have the exhaust manifold, the header pipe, the packing between the manifolds and the cylinder head, the packing between the exhaust manifold and the header pipe, the 44.45mm (1.75 inches) ID U bolt and its corresponding base, to form the kit. Obviously, the first 4 parts are compulsory. Buy the U bolt and the corresponding base of the old Matador if OE parts are not available, as the Matador also used the 44.45mm diameter pipe. You will have to locally rework the Y bracket of the exhaust system to match the center-to-center distance of the bigger U bolt. If you have an inlet manifold with the water jacket, you may have to cut / rework it's center mounting, as the exhaust manifold design did not protect this feature. If you have the inlet manifold without the water jacket, then there is no fitment issue. You must see and do on car-to-car basis.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 3rd June 2016 at 12:42.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:06   #1473
Senior - BHPian

My 1972 Fiat 1100D is finally home. A friend from Calicut drove the car to Bangalore. Climbed up the Wayanad ghat without issue and took exactly 12 hours with several breaks in between.
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_2979.jpg

Unfortunately; the work done on the car is shoddy. The interiors really need attention. Boot lock isn't working, interior door lock handle has come off and I can't lock the drivers door with the key. Tried jiggling with it but it just would not turn. The exteriors, I can live with for now. The engine runs great and sounds sweet except for what sounds like fuel or air starvation if you go hard on the gas pedal. No problem when you gradually accelerate. The clutch catches only towards the end of travel and the brakes are scary at the moment. I will attend to these problem slowly as my funds are now going towards restoring my old Jawa motorcycle. Pointers to a good garage will be helpful. I have no problem spending money provided the work carried out is good. The quality of work done at the garage in Calicut is below average.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th June 2016 at 11:08.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:14   #1474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My 1972 Fiat 1100D is finally home.
Dear Sandeepmohan - hello to you. Please be very careful with the grille and bumpers, these have now become "to be preserved in a safe deposit vault" items! Just last weekend, one TeamBHP reader went to the infamous CST road in Mumbai and somebody quoted some ridiculous amount for these parts which were not even there! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:27   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 1972 Fiat 1100D is finally home. A friend from Calicut drove the car to Bangalore. Climbed up the Wayanad ghat without issue and took exactly 12 hours with several breaks in between.
sandeepmohan

What a lovely car. Reminds me of the very first car my parents bought, a 1973 Premier President (KLV 8877). It was sold for 35,000/- in 1992 and my father passed away a year later.

I tried to trace it, but from the MVD records, it looks like it was scrapped around 10 years ago. Breaks my heart even now when I think of it.

Good luck with refurbishing your car to its best. Wish I could help somehow!
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 14:57   #1476
BHPian

Hello Folks,
I am on the verge to procure a Padmini 1986. The car is in a running condition & the body & the paint is original, though its not in a good condition. I intend to restore the Vehicle & i am based in Ahmedabad.

Could anyone of you recommend me someone who is nearby Ahmedabad + / - 100 kms to help me restore the same in its original glory.
Old 15th June 2016, 21:18   #1477
Senior - BHPian

With the car now with me, I'd like to address some problems step by step.

1. Starting trouble with a cold engine. Takes several cranks to fire up. No trouble if the engine is warm. The battery is in top condition.
2. If I accelerate hard, there is hesitation. I get a deep throaty kind of noise and the engine won't respond well. Not sure if its starvation of air or fuel. If I go easy on the gas pedal, building engine revs is no problem.
2. Hopeless brakes. Pedal needs to reach close to the end of travel for them to grab. Brake fluid reservoir is full.
3. I just discovered that the tires are 22 years old! What is a suitable replacement tire, size and make, Nylon, or a suitable radial that won't strain the steering rack.
4. The front passenger door open/lock handle has come off. It seems simple to put it back but what should I use to slot it in to place.
5. Where can I get the rubber plunger button for the windscreen washer knob?
Old 15th June 2016, 21:52   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep mohan, for the starting and acceleration issue, you need a carb cleanup/ service. Followed by a tune up. Please follow instructions at the start of the thread.

Brakes should be serviced or all brand new stuff TVS.

Tyres are not possible to get, try MRF. If not then put swift tubeless tyres. Make sure the rims are good.

The bulb type windscreen washer would be hard to get. Search for shops in an around, you might be lucky.
Old 16th June 2016, 09:09   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
3. I just discovered that the tires are 22 years old! What is a suitable replacement tire, size and make, Nylon, or a suitable radial that won't strain the steering rack.
Please check the attachment for the comparison of various tyre sizes with the PP standard tyre.
Ideally 155/80R14 is the closest match in terms of circumference and tyre width, but to my knowledge none of the cars have this tyre size as factory fitment. Anyways check online, you may find some sources for this size.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-tyre_size_compare_pp.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:55   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera555 View Post
Hello Folks,
I am on the verge to procure a Padmini 1986. The car is in a running condition & the body & the paint is original, though its not in a good condition. I intend to restore the Vehicle & i am based in Ahmedabad.

Could anyone of you recommend me someone who is nearby Ahmedabad + / - 100 kms to help me restore the same in its original glory.
I believe you are looking to restore the paint or is it the whole car? Getting good technicians to work on classics is getting difficult by the day. If it is mechanical restoration, I would recommend Manan Motors @ Navrangpura. For bodywork, I am yet to find a bodyshop in Ahmedabad that gives the finish I want.
Old 16th June 2016, 14:21   #1481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I believe you are looking to restore the paint or is it the whole car? Getting good technicians to work on classics is getting difficult by the day. If it is mechanical restoration, I would recommend Manan Motors @ Navrangpura. For bodywork, I am yet to find a bodyshop in Ahmedabad that gives the finish I want.
Dear Vaidyaji - as far as Ahmedabad is concerned, your word is final! . By the way, how are your Thar CRDe and 118NE?

Dear Carrera555 - hello to you. Please post some detailed photographs of your car. As Manish mentioned, you have to follow the process given on the starting pages of this thread and don't worry, we are all there to guide you every step of the way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 14:43   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vaidyaji - as far as Ahmedabad is concerned, your word is final! . By the way, how are your Thar CRDe and 118NE?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behrambhai: My THAR is in the workshop for change of Expansion Valve in the AC system as it was making screeching noises.
So I have brought the 118NE to work today. One of our Sales guy has gone flat on it. He just came to me showing the pictures of my car on his iphone saying 'Kya gaadi hai boss. I used to drive a NE when working for my previous company. It was fun to drive. I loved the seat comfort. And your car has those original art leather seats and...' the praise went on and on. It made his day and that made my day

BTW, i was just going to call you for this issue faced 2nd time. After driving for 15kms, it starts to hesitate as if low on fuel. I believe some 'kaput' in the 'Vapour lock' project. I will check the fuel level in the window next time it happens. What other things do i need to check? The idle is smooth and it doesn't stall--it just hesitates when the pedal is pressed
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:12   #1483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Behrambhai: My THAR is in the workshop for change of Expansion Valve in the AC system as it was making screeching noises.
So I have brought the 118NE to work today. One of our Sales guy has gone flat on it. He just came to me showing the pictures of my car on his iphone saying 'Kya gaadi hai boss. I used to drive a NE when working for my previous company. It was fun to drive. I loved the seat comfort. And your car has those original art leather seats and...' the praise went on and on. It made his day and that made my day

BTW, i was just going to call you for this issue faced 2nd time. After driving for 15kms, it starts to hesitate as if low on fuel. I believe some 'kaput' in the 'Vapour lock' project. I will check the fuel level in the window next time it happens. What other things do i need to check? The idle is smooth and it doesn't stall--it just hesitates when the pedal is pressed
Dear Vaidyaji - changing expansion valve is a straightforward corrective action to eliminate the whistling noise. Also, it is good to read "kya gaadi hai boss"! .

Does your 118NE have my vapour lock solution in totality? If yes, it will never fail, just ensure that the fuel filter before the pump is clean and the orifices are not clogged. There is nothing else to do. If your car does not have my vapour lock solution, it will stall due to very high ambient temperature just now. I am very clear on this! In any case, check the float chamber fuel level through the front glass as I showed you. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:23   #1484
BHPian

The previous owner of my Premier Padmini, Mr Sundararajan passed away due to kidney failure. I did not know of his illness, and took the car to show it to him. I came to know he was in hospital for dialysis and I visited him there. I was hoping he will be discharged soon and I can take him for a drive, but he passed away the very next morning, leaving behind something he loved dearly in my custody.

May his soul rest in peace.

Last edited by autocrat : 16th June 2016 at 16:23. Reason: Correction
Old 16th June 2016, 16:36   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
The previous owner of my Premier Padmini, Mr Sundararajan passed away due to kidney failure. I did not know of his illness, and took the car to show it to him. I came to know he was in hospital for dialysis and I visited him there. I was hoping he will be discharged soon and I can take him for a drive, but he passed away the very next morning, leaving behind something he loved dearly in my custody.

May his soul rest in peace.
Dear Gowtham - I feel so sad to hear of the passing of Mr. Sundararajan. May his soul rest in peace. His car is in your good hands, which is nice.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks