Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 18:17   #46
BHPian

Are the manuals available anywhere on the net?? Mine is a 1988 Padmini.
Old 7th August 2008, 19:06   #47
BHPian

Yes. There are some online manuals but all in Italian. Fortunatly it is very much like English and we can manage to understand it. Heres the link MILLECENTO FIAT che passione

These can be downloaded as PDF files.

Heres the link to the solex carburetor manual as well
solex - selection and tuning of carburettor

If you need any more information please feel free to contact me. My phone number is 9969503544

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 9th August 2008, 01:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaalsaigal View Post
Hi everyone... firstly let me congratulate you all. I am a die hard automobile enthusiast. I have grown up with Fiats in my family, and the last one my family bought was a 1994 Premier Padmini.

I always thought that I was passionate about cars but stumbling on your forums was a positive surprise.

A few days back I almost bought a 1957 Fiat 1100/103 from an old gentleman who had owned it for the last forty five years. The deal was almost through when the gentleman suddenly did not feel like parting with it. However for me the quest continues... so if anyone knows of anyone who wants to sell a Fiat 1100/103 1950-60 pls let me know. I can promise I will really take care of it.

Regards,
Kunaal Saigal
+91 9324594379
Welcome aboard, Kunaal ! If you're a classic fiat fan, you certainly are in the right place. Remember however, that it's very very difficult to come across a car you will like, and actually get it. I had to hunt for two years before I fianlly got mine !! All the best, and we'll keep our eyes and ears peeled for a car for you.
By the way, do look up the "Fiat classic car club mumbai" thread, and do keep in touch and join us for our monthly meets.
Regards,
Ravi Nene.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:06   #49
BHPian

Here are some of the pictures of the degassing tank as well as mikuni conversion from Mr. Dhabhars LHD Padmini (MH-01-YA-3238).

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc02433.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc02432.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc02431.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc02430.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc02429.jpg  

adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2008, 14:51   #50

Thanks for the Pictures Adheesh. Also, i just realized, we need to reduce the clutter in the engine bay!!
Old 7th September 2008, 16:47   #51

Im a novice when it come to hardcore engine tuning, can anyone explain...

"I Have Yet Come Across A Mechanic Who Has Correct Tappet Guages. The Specification Is 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition. You Can Try This. If You Set To 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition, You Will Get 0.35 Mm In Hot Condition, Which Will Cause A Good Amount Of Mechanical Clatter. The Process Is To Set The Tappets In A Hot Engine With The Engine Idling And Set It To 0.2 Mm (8 Thou) Intake And 0.25 Mm (10 Thou) Exhaust Valves. From The Fan Backwards, The Valves Are E-i-i-e-e-i-i-e.
chassis Tuning"

In particular, im interested in the "e-i-i-e-e-i-i-e" part.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:01   #52

Hello, I have read your condtion on setting tappets. I cannot agree with you that you can set the tappets with the engine idling. The engine has to be stopped to be able to adjust the rockers and turn the engine over by hand.

For 4 cylinder engines, there are 2 ways, in setting tappets. You can either, turn each cylinder to TDC, with both valves closed, and set the clearance on both inlet and exhaust valves, or use rule number 9.
rule number 9 is used for 4 cylinder engines.

For rule number 9, both valves must add to 9, eg, adjust no:1 valve when no:8 valve is open, ie, 8 + 1 = 9, and so on, adjust no:2 valve when no:7 valves is open.

Regards Luigino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinshuk View Post
Im a novice when it come to hardcore engine tuning, can anyone explain...

"I Have Yet Come Across A Mechanic Who Has Correct Tappet Guages. The Specification Is 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition. You Can Try This. If You Set To 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition, You Will Get 0.35 Mm In Hot Condition, Which Will Cause A Good Amount Of Mechanical Clatter. The Process Is To Set The Tappets In A Hot Engine With The Engine Idling And Set It To 0.2 Mm (8 Thou) Intake And 0.25 Mm (10 Thou) Exhaust Valves. From The Fan Backwards, The Valves Are E-i-i-e-e-i-i-e.
chassis Tuning"

Old 12th September 2008, 12:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
In the above sentence 'e'stands for exhaust and 'i' stands for intake. A stock Fiat 1100 (1089)cc 103 engine has 4 cylinders with 2 valves each. One intake and the other exhaust. Hence when you open the tappet cover, the first valve (starting from the fan to the firewall) is exhaust then intake then intake then exhaust and so on.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 12th September 2008, 12:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkomaas1221 View Post
Hello, I have read your condtion on setting tappets. I cannot agree with you that you can set the tappets with the engine idling. The engine has to be stopped to be able to adjust the rockers and turn the engine over by hand.

Nope, Not necessarily. First, you have to adjust the tappets at cold temps. That is when the engine is off. And then at normal running temp of about 75 degrees. This has to be done when the engine is running.
Old 15th September 2008, 00:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
In the above sentence 'e'stands for exhaust and 'i' stands for intake. A stock Fiat 1100 (1089)cc 103 engine has 4 cylinders with 2 valves each. One intake and the other exhaust. Hence when you open the tappet cover, the first valve (starting from the fan to the firewall) is exhaust then intake then intake then exhaust and so on.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
@Adheesh: Thanks...figured this out the other day when the mech. was working on my Fiat's engine...
Agree with Cyrus, from what Ive seen, they set tappets with a cold engine and then with the engine running.
Old 15th September 2008, 22:18   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nope, Not necessarily. First, you have to adjust the tappets at cold temps. That is when the engine is off. And then at normal running temp of about 75 degrees. This has to be done when the engine is running.
I refer to your statement on setting tappets when the "ENGINE IS RUNNING". How are you going to set the tappets on an O.H.V engine when the engine is running, regardless of whether it is a FIAT 1100 engine or other engine. I can agree on setting your tappet clearance when the engine is stopped.

With all respect, it just does not make any sense to me, and it is also the first time I have ever heard of this. Regards ......
Old 16th September 2008, 03:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkomaas1221 View Post
I refer to your statement on setting tappets when the "ENGINE IS RUNNING". How are you going to set the tappets on an O.H.V engine when the engine is running, regardless of whether it is a FIAT 1100 engine or other engine. I can agree on setting your tappet clearance when the engine is stopped.

With all respect, it just does not make any sense to me, and it is also the first time I have ever heard of this. Regards ......
Remove the tapet cover and the tapets are available for you to measure/readjust the gaps of. Its easy.
Old 9th April 2009, 15:28   #58
BHPian

Padmini Deluxe BE

Hi All,

I want to restore my Dad's Padmini(MAP 3297, 84 Dec) to its original glory. I was able to service the car well when we were in Mumbai. However, I am finding it extremely tough to get the car repaired in Delhi after my father was transferred here. The mechanics here just dont understand the car and its seeing a gradual decay here.

I am thinking of getting the car repaired and repainted at Mumbai again! Never mind the cost! Can anyone please suggest a good service station in Mumbai as its been 4 years since we have shifted to Delhi. The car engine hasnt been opened once and it has slready clocked a mileage of 130,000 kms. While I feel that the engine doesnt require a rebore, as a matter of extreme caution, I will get it rebored, if I take the car to Mumbai!.

Therefore, please suggest a guy who can undertake all jobs at one place.
Old 9th April 2009, 16:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sandeep Mishra - I presume that your car is in Delhi with a Mumbai registration (MAP). Also please post potographs of the car so that I can get an idea as to its general condition. Just for your information, please visit our FIAT CLASSIC CAR CLUB thread in this section as well as threads of my restored cars BLL4919, MRY3112, MH01YA3238 and MRF6466. Please PM me your mobile number. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th April 2009, 17:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

I thought Webber carbs work better on Fiat 1100s than Mikunis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks