Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 19:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all, for the suggestions. Will settle for Solex. I don't need one, but will help others when needed in future. New ones available cost Rs. 4500(BICSA) and normal Solex one is Rs. 4000. Need suggestions on this too.

There is one abandoned Delight in Bangalore. It has no original fittings left except for the bumpers which i removed.

I can also take any other part under the hood. Little difficult to pick the engine and gear box, but will do it soon. Tomorrow I will be removing the carburettor. Did Delights have any specific Solex Carb?
Old 29th September 2009, 22:14   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Dell'Orto (its just Dellorto on the carb) carburetors were made in Italy and used to come on some few super selects in India. I wouldn't want to have one in my car as the parts (jets, washers, top packing, etc) is simply not available and would cause a reliability issue with the car.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Ha ha ! A chap at chor bazar had once offered me a Dellorto carb quite in a hurry, insisting it was rare, and that many people were after it, and that I should pick it up NOW if I know what's good for me.
I didn't, thanks to timely advice from friendly tbhpians, and was saved.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:06   #123
Senior - BHPian

Liquids

Can you guys post what grade and brand of oils to be used on Fiats ? Also, what coolant (and ratio with distilled water) and what brake fluid to be used?

Oils
Engine:
Gear:
Gear (S1 with NE box)
Differencial:
Differencial (S1 with NE):

Others:
Coolant:
Coolant Ratio:
Brake fluid:

Please feel free to add/correct if I have missed any.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:13   #124
BHPian

@funkykar - AFAIK, the steering oil is a different grade (140) than the gear oil (is grade 90).
Old 6th October 2009, 12:17   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thanks Adheesh for the information....
I also had couple other questions:
1) The low fuel light and engine hot light on the speedo light up just after 0.5 kms of driving even though the engine is not heated up and also the fuel level is well past the red marking. Why would this happen? Does a electrician need to look into this?
2) I have never seen the clock on the Speedo work on a S1 or a 118 NE. How good is it? How is it powered?
3)Does anyone have a soft copy of a user/service manuals of a S1 with floor gear. If yes, please send it to me at karthik.makam@gmail.com
I really am in search of the manual and answers for the first 2 questions. Request someone to please do the needful.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Some more information on questions 1 and 2. I had visited my mechanic, he says that that the sensor for Fuel and Heat are fine as the needles seem to show it correctly. If it is unplugged under the bonnet, the overheat light goes away and the needle drops.

Last edited by funkykar : 6th October 2009 at 15:19. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 6th October 2009, 15:21   #127
BHPian

Oils
Engine: 20W50
Gear:90EP
Gear (S1 with NE box): 90EP
Differential: 140EP
Differential (S1 with NE):90EP

Others:
Coolant: I prefer Wurth
Coolant Ratio: I use 1:3
Brake fluid:TVS Girling Dot 3
Old 6th October 2009, 15:24   #128
BHPian

Someone please confirm the grade of oil for the steering box. IMO - its 140 EP gear oil.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:28   #129
BHPian

Hey Karthik, following are the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Can you guys post what grade and brand of oils to be used on Fiats ? Also, what coolant (and ratio with distilled water) and what brake fluid to be used?

Oils
Engine: Multigrade 20w50 (Bharat Actuma Multigrade 20w50 Or Servo Super Multigrade 20w50 Or HP Super Engine Oil Multigrade 20w50 Or Gulf Lube XHD 20w50 Or GTX 20w50 Or Veedol HDB 20w50)

Gear: SAE 90 EP
Gear (S1 with NE box)
Differencial:
Differencial (S1 with NE): SAE 90 EP

Others:
Coolant: Any Pre-mixed coolant.
Coolant Ratio:
Brake fluid: Heavy Duty Non Mineral Type (Eg. Castrol Girling Brake and Clutch Fluid (Crimson))

Please feel free to add/correct if I have missed any.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:31   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Someone please confirm the grade of oil for the steering box. IMO - its 140 EP gear oil.
Correct, as per Instruction Book, it's SAE 140. But no EP. but I don't know what EP means.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Correct, as per Instruction Book, it's SAE 140. But no EP. but I don't know what EP means.
AFAIK, EP = Extreme Pressure
Old 6th October 2009, 18:04   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - engine oil is 20W40 or 15W40. HP cruise is one such trade name. Transmission oil is SAE90EP (minumum GL4) for fiat transmission, SAE80W90 or SAE 75W90 both GL5 (not GL4) for F4W56A transmission (118NE gearbox), rear axle is SAE90EP only (never put 140, it will ruin the gear pair, the oil film on the gears breaks down). Steering gear oil is SAE140. Capacity of engine oil is 3.5 litres, but please ensure full level on the dipstick with warnm engine. Transmission and axle oil capacity is specified as that required to overflow slightly from the filler plug. Steering gear oil capacity is 220 cc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2009, 23:09   #133
BHPian

Hi Adeesh & Manish, continuing the discussion from the thread "Columnshift: engine and gearbox 'retro fit'".
i have got the master cylinder checked and serviced.
Master cylinder kit cost Rs.100.
Labour charge Rs.200 and
750ml DOT 3 brake fluid Rs.160.

The problem was with the piston.it used to stuck during its movements.The spring inside the cylinder was also weak;

so it was unable to push the piston back. the brake pedal used to move freely during the period givig a very light

kind of feeling, not spongy exactly (i have experienced that spongy feeling once and don't want to experience it

again.) By the way, the master cylinder was opened for the first time in 23 years. :-).Now the brake is light and

smooth.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

regards,

Saurav
Old 10th October 2009, 23:39   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_2007 View Post
Hi Adeesh & Manish, continuing the discussion from the thread "Columnshift: engine and gearbox 'retro fit'".
i have got the master cylinder checked and serviced.
Master cylinder kit cost Rs.100.
Labour charge Rs.200 and
750ml DOT 3 brake fluid Rs.160.

The problem was with the piston.it used to stuck during its movements.The spring inside the cylinder was also weak;

so it was unable to push the piston back. the brake pedal used to move freely during the period givig a very light

kind of feeling, not spongy exactly (i have experienced that spongy feeling once and don't want to experience it

again.) By the way, the master cylinder was opened for the first time in 23 years. :-).Now the brake is light and

smooth.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

regards,

Saurav
Good to know that the problem has been solved. Enjoy your car !!

Regards,
Adheesh
Old 11th October 2009, 00:00   #135
Senior - BHPian

How to clean a Radiator with lots of thick rust contents in it?
I heard running the car with soap water in the Radiator will clean it to a certain extent.

But i have removed the Radiator out of my car. I read in the PP manual about a Rust Inhibitor oil which protects the radiator from rust formation. Any such oil still available? I also thought of getting it cleaned in the radiator repair shop?

Whats the best solution?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks