Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 01:04   #136
BANNED

Rear Axle Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - engine oil is 20W40 or 15W40. HP cruise is one such trade name. Transmission oil is SAE90EP (minumum GL4) for fiat transmission, SAE80W90 or SAE 75W90 both GL5 (not GL4) for F4W56A transmission (118NE gearbox), rear axle is SAE90EP only (never put 140, it will ruin the gear pair, the oil film on the gears breaks down). Steering gear oil is SAE140. Capacity of engine oil is 3.5 litres, but please ensure full level on the dipstick with warnm engine. Transmission and axle oil capacity is specified as that required to overflow slightly from the filler plug. Steering gear oil capacity is 220 cc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
I put SAE140EP for the differential and run about 500km on it. I used to get some slight jerks from the propeller shaft before put the 140EP oil, like slackness or play. But now it as increased a lot.
Is the oil I put the cause of it ?
Or is a a regular wear-n-tear problem ?

I have left my Fiat in the garage for getting it rectified, asked the garagist to check gears in axle too, Do you recommend to change the oil now to 90EP, even thought the 140EP has only run for 500KM ?
Awaiting reply

Last edited by Sujith1100 : 11th October 2009 at 01:08.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:39   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sujith - please revert to SAE90EP immediately. 118NE is 3.9:1 axle ratio. Tooth flank force is more than Padmini.

Dear Arun - there is only one way to clean a radiator (presuming it is worth cleaning if the fins are not worn out, if worn, the core or radiator should be replaced). Remove it from the car, take it to a "good radiatorwallah" (whatever that means - normally he will be an old bearded muslim fellow, having a hole in the wall dirty establishment with a 10 year old kid to help him. Some of these guys do a wonderful job). Remove both side supports and the top tank by melting out the solder. Then clean each and every tube by inserting a long flexible blade through it (these guys have the cleaning blade also). Then remove the drain plug by melting out its solder and discard it (reliability issues). Just block the hole by using a small brass piece. Solder it in place. Then clean the top tank from inside by applying "acid" (whatever acid he will have), it will shine like new. Similarly clean the bottom tank from outside also. It will also shine. Then assemble the top tank back and double solder it in place (2 lines of solder). Do not forget - it must be 2 lines of solder. Assemble the side supports. There is no other way. This job will take minimum 6 to 7 hours. If you give the radiator and go away, he will goof it (I know). So you have to slog it out, stand there, have a "cutting chai" (half cup of tea) with him and ensure that he does the job.

This is the joy of owning a Fiat. You slog, but you enjoy it also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2009, 11:04   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sujith - please revert to SAE90EP immediately. 118NE is 3.9:1 axle ratio. Tooth flank force is more than Padmini.

Dear Arun - there is only one way to clean a radiator (presuming it is worth cleaning if the fins are not worn out, if worn, the core or radiator should be replaced). Remove it from the car, take it to a "good radiatorwallah" (whatever that means - normally he will be an old bearded muslim fellow, having a hole in the wall dirty establishment with a 10 year old kid to help him. Some of these guys do a wonderful job). Remove both side supports and the top tank by melting out the solder. Then clean each and every tube by inserting a long flexible blade through it (these guys have the cleaning blade also). Then remove the drain plug by melting out its solder and discard it (reliability issues). Just block the hole by using a small brass piece. Solder it in place. Then clean the top tank from inside by applying "acid" (whatever acid he will have), it will shine like new. Similarly clean the bottom tank from outside also. It will also shine. Then assemble the top tank back and double solder it in place (2 lines of solder). Do not forget - it must be 2 lines of solder. Assemble the side supports. There is no other way. This job will take minimum 6 to 7 hours. If you give the radiator and go away, he will goof it (I know). So you have to slog it out, stand there, have a "cutting chai" (half cup of tea) with him and ensure that he does the job.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sirji, Thanks for the detailed explanation. The radiator is original one( Bharat Radiator, it has PAB part no. on it). It is working fine, just wanted to get it cleaned as my car is hibernated for restoration.

I will stand with the radiatorwallah and get it done.

Yes, this is the way of life of a Proud Fiat Owner
Old 12th October 2009, 15:01   #139
BHPian

Quote:

a "good radiatorwallah" (whatever that means - normally he will be an old bearded muslim fellow, having a hole in the wall dirty establishment with a 10 year old kid to help him. Some of these guys do a wonderful job). Re

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I have a funny story, will tell you later. Need to go for the lecture.
Old 12th October 2009, 19:27   #140
BANNED

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, mine is a PREMIER PADMINI, 1976 model.
I guess you got confused with our cars. Should old Padmini's too be driven on 90EP oil for the differential.
Old 13th October 2009, 08:22   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sujith - even for Padmini with 4.3:1 axle ratio, the oil grade is SAE90EP only. 140 will behave almost like a grease and it will ruin the gears.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th October 2009, 08:26   #142
Senior - BHPian

Behram sir,

I have a few questions....
1) Is it recommended to do a oil flush using additives on our Padmini's. If not, is there a recommended way to do it and with what frequesny it should be done.
2) Is it possible to do a similar flush for gear oil, steering and axle oil?
2) I have heard of something called as Decarbonizing. Is it okay to do it? Whats the recommended way?
Old 13th October 2009, 12:02   #143
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,
Will you please explain the procedure to set the idle speed in BIC carb.

Regards,
Saurav
Old 13th October 2009, 20:27   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Sujith - even for Padmini with 4.3:1 axle ratio, the oil grade is SAE90EP only. 140 will behave almost like a grease and it will ruin the gears.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks a lot for your advice Sir, I have asked my Mechanic to immediately change the Oil to 90EP.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:28   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I can also take any other part under the hood. Little difficult to pick the engine and gear box, but will do it soon. Tomorrow I will be removing the carburettor. Did Delights have any specific Solex Carb?
What engine does it have? Does it have the engine with the 4 blade metal fan?
Old 14th October 2009, 17:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Behram sir,

I have a few questions....
1) Is it recommended to do a oil flush using additives on our Padmini's. If not, is there a recommended way to do it and with what frequesny it should be done.
2) Is it possible to do a similar flush for gear oil, steering and axle oil?
2) I have heard of something called as Decarbonizing. Is it okay to do it? Whats the recommended way?
1. By oil flushing I presume you mean descaling the lube oil lines or simply removing sludge, varnish, and other deposits?? In a way it is good method and can be linked to decardonizing (only the areas where the engine oil reaches) for other areas there is Fuel system cleaner.

The frequency would be every 10,000 kms or better still at every oil change.

How ever a word of caution, if all that sludge, varnish, and other deposits are adding to the sealing effect or holding the compression inside the cylinder, removing them will bring your engine down .

2. Yes it is possible to do a similar flush on the transmission, check the 3M India website they have the necessary fluids.

3. Decardonizing - removing the cardon built up inside the combustion chamber, head valves, piston and piston rings. All the cardon built up will lead to wear and tear, but again it the condition is worse this built up will aid in sealing / compression, so removing it might take you straight to the engine top end overhaul.

There are two ways - a). Manually removing the head and scrapping of or dissolving the carbon built up, change the head gasket. If required change the rings.

b). Disconnect the fuel lines - supply additive mixed with petrol from a decorbonizing machine, this additive will dissolve all the built up and will burn them in the combustion chamber.

Hope this reply helps. Gurus can further add to this from their experience.

@ Adheesh and Behram sir,

Can I have a look of your tool box, how it is arranged and what are all the special tools in it.

I am getting my tool box from my home shortly - Special tools include

1. Feeler Guage 2. Timing Light 3. Tach / Dwell Guage 4. Compression Guage.

What else do I need ( I rekon I required vacuum guage once upon a time & torque wrench)??

Last edited by manishalive : 14th October 2009 at 17:45.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:36   #147
Senior - BHPian

Behram and Adheesh - Five star thread. Excellent source of knowledge for hungry souls. Keep it up guys, this thread is like an encyclopedia. Or shall we say Fiatopedia ?!?
Old 9th November 2009, 21:33   #148
Senior - BHPian

S1 low on mileage

My S1 mileage has been very very low ever since I got it a couple of months ago. In city, with average traffic, its returning just 6-7kmpl (daily usage, going by the fuel meter).

I initially suspected it to be a bad fuel indicator. I checked with a bottle of petrol. In city, it returned 9kmpl. On the highway, it returns an easy 15-17kmpl. My driving of this car has been smooth and at steady speeds.

I am using a 102.5 jet as suggested in this very thread. Over the weeks, I had my mechanic tune the car many times, no change. Also, Sujith1100's mechanic tuned it a few days back (General tuning. Not for mileage) and no change.

What are the things that I need to have checked? What are the various factors that affect mileage? Presently, its a big hole in my pocket.....
Old 9th November 2009, 21:38   #149
Senior - BHPian

Help!!

Fiat gurus give suggestions to solve Karthik's S1 mileage problem. We are trying all possible things.

Behram Sir, Special request to you for suggestions.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
My S1 mileage has been very very low ever since I got it a couple of months ago. In city, with average traffic, its returning just 6-7kmpl (daily usage, going by the fuel meter).

I initially suspected it to be a bad fuel indicator. I checked with a bottle of petrol. In city, it returned 9kmpl. On the highway, it returns an easy 15-17kmpl. My driving of this car has been smooth and at steady speeds.

I am using a 102.5 jet as suggested in this very thread. Over the weeks, I had my mechanic tune the car many times, no change. Also, Sujith1100's mechanic tuned it a few days back (General tuning. Not for mileage) and no change.

What are the things that I need to have checked? What are the various factors that affect mileage? Presently, its a big hole in my pocket.....
Two things

1. Ignition System

2. Fuel System come to play a major role in Milage please check you Ignition system also.

Most Viewed