Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 20:54   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Dear Experts,
To start with, I have a premier 118 NE. My colleague has a Premier Padmini S1 which does'nt want to part at any cost. Also he had some embarassing moments with the car, when it failed to start at a signal while taking his wife in the car for the first time. Hope you guys get a picture of his embarassment and since then he has been using only his 2 wheeler.
Since being an ardent fan of FIAT vehicles, I intend to take up a project of giving a new life to that car.
Hello Ilango,

Being a true NE and Fiat fian, I really appreciate you in giving life to a Fiat. The Fiat techies would give you good inputs to you to get going. I am very pleased by your effort.

Ilango is a very innovative guy and comes up various ideas to make life better with our cars . Any new innovations of late Ilango?
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2009, 21:12   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ilangop - please refer post no 18 on page no 2 of this thread. Everything that you want to know is given there. DO NOT attempt welding of aluminium. It is a specialized process. You will not be able to do it. Please PM me for more details. As you are from Pune, perhaps we can catch up sometime when I travel to Pune.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2009, 22:02   #183
BHPian

Sir,

I am Mehul H K, Tirupur dist in Tamil Nadu. I am a proud owner of 1996 model Premier Padmini S1, LPG, AC.

I have problem with the thermostat switch of my car, it doesnt work properly. I changed it with Maruti 800 one but it starts the fan after the temperature crosses half mark in speedo meter, so please suggest me any perfect thermostat switch for my S1.

I also replaced the water pump but of no use, the M800 switch fails to work after some 100 or more Kms.

My mechanics says the S1 car is having this thermostat problem and I need to change the thermostat valve, which he doesnt know were it could be in my car.

Plse help.

Thanking You

Mehul H K
M-+919443330289
Old 7th December 2009, 10:55   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Any new innovations of late Ilango?
Thanks Karthik,
Nothing new for now. Was occupied restoring my Vijai Super, and now a Lamby of my friend Rakesh.
-Ilango
Old 7th December 2009, 11:36   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ilangop - please refer post no 18 on page no 2 of this thread. Everything that you want to know is given there. DO NOT attempt welding of aluminium. It is a specialized process. You will not be able to do it. Please PM me for more details. As you are from Pune, perhaps we can catch up sometime when I travel to Pune.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,
Thank you for directing me to the right place with loads of information required for this modification. Ok, I stay away from cutting or aluminium welding as per your advice. Here are some doubts.
What I plan to do is get hold of a thick plate and fabricate the adaptor. You had previously mentioned that the plate can vary from few mm to 50 mm, how much should I go with because I find 50 mm like way too tall. And might result in the airfilter fouling with the bonnet. Can the adaptor plate be of MS or Aluminium?
Regarding the routing of the return pipe from the carburetor, could I connect it to the inlet of the mechanical fuel pump, using a T-joing for the hoses?
My mechanic here has 118 NE & a Maruti 1000 ready for scrapping. So the carburetor and inlet manifolds are available for use. Would the NEs intake manifold be of any use to this project? As the S1 already has a cable operated acc pedal, is there anything else that needs to be grabbed from the 118NE.

Thank you
-Ilango
Old 7th December 2009, 13:28   #186
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,
Seems like your inbox if full. It Doesnt accept my pm.
-Ilango
Old 7th December 2009, 21:24   #187
Senior - BHPian

Characteristics of Lubricants for the 1957 Fiat 1100 103E

I found these in my owners manual for my Elegant, behram can you throw some more light on this document.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-docii071209.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-doci-071209.jpg  

Old 11th December 2009, 10:21   #188
BHPian

Solex to mikuni Conversion

Dear Experts,

As the next step towards the previously said conversion, Yesterday we had removed the solx carburetor from the S1. Meanwhile we caught hold of Mikuni carburetor base from a local mechanic, so that we could use it as a reference for going ahead with conversion.
Here again some doubts popped up.
1. What is the minimum size of the adaptor plate required for this modifcation?
2. What orientation of the carburetor is most preferred? The solenoid switch in the carb facing the firewall, or vehicle front / right side/ left side?
3. My mechanic said that old 118 NEs carb didnt have a fuel return. And had a pressure relief kind of thing which does the fuel return. Is that true?
4. In case the there is no such an option (3), can we connect the carb fuel return to the pump's inlet side?
5. In the S1 under experimentation we had seen that the fuel filter is placed between the pump and the carburetor. Is this setup as per the manufacturer's design?, because I see more sense in placing the filter between the fuel tank output line and the pump's input line.
Experts please find spare some time for clarifying the above doubts so as to move further ahead.

Thanks and Regards,
Ilango

P.S: Will post some pics of the existing set up in a day's time.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:03   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Dear Experts,

As the next step towards the previously said conversion, Yesterday we had removed the solx carburetor from the S1. Meanwhile we caught hold of Mikuni carburetor base from a local mechanic, so that we could use it as a reference for going ahead with conversion.
Here again some doubts popped up.
1. What is the minimum size of the adaptor plate required for this modifcation?
2. What orientation of the carburetor is most preferred? The solenoid switch in the carb facing the firewall, or vehicle front / right side/ left side?
3. My mechanic said that old 118 NEs carb didnt have a fuel return. And had a pressure relief kind of thing which does the fuel return. Is that true?
4. In case the there is no such an option (3), can we connect the carb fuel return to the pump's inlet side?
5. In the S1 under experimentation we had seen that the fuel filter is placed between the pump and the carburetor. Is this setup as per the manufacturer's design?, because I see more sense in placing the filter between the fuel tank output line and the pump's input line.
Experts please find spare some time for clarifying the above doubts so as to move further ahead.

Thanks and Regards,
Ilango

P.S: Will post some pics of the existing set up in a day's time.
Please try to source a S1 manifold for Mikuni( the hunt would be worth it). An incorrectly fabricated adapter would cause reliability issues. Having a fuel delivery problem in Fiats is the easiest way to turn bald overnight by tearing out ones hair in frustration. Till you find the manifold, please install the fuel return line so no time is wasted after the manifold is procured. Also please use a Mikuni 118ne carburetor or a Maruti 1000 Mikuni carburetor only with the fuel return line to prevent fuel percolation. The fuel filter design you mentioned is correct but if you have a electric fuel pump installed, shift the fuel filter before electric fuel pump which should ideally be as near the fuel tank as possible ie. the inlet pipe of the electric fuel pump should be as short as possible.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 11th December 2009 at 13:08.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:26   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Please try to source a S1 manifold for Mikuni( the hunt would be worth it). An incorrectly fabricated adapter would cause reliability issues. Having a fuel delivery problem in Fiats is the easiest way to turn bald overnight by tearing out ones hair in frustration.Regards,Adheesh Parelkar
Adheesh's good work is the only reason I still have all my hair left in place !!
Old 11th December 2009, 14:54   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Till you find the manifold, please install the fuel return line so no time is wasted after the manifold is procured. Also please use a Mikuni 118ne carburetor or a Maruti 1000 Mikuni carburetor only with the fuel return line to prevent fuel percolation. The fuel filter design you mentioned is correct but if you have a electric fuel pump installed, shift the fuel filter before electric fuel pump which should ideally be as near the fuel tank as possible ie. the inlet pipe of the electric fuel pump should be as short as possible.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Thanks Adheesh for your immediate reply. Will try to hunt around, but I guess it would be really hard to find one, at least in Pune. As for the fuel return line, (asking again) should it be always returned to the fuel tank or can it be connected to the fuel inlet parallel to the fuel input from the tank to the pump?
Old 12th December 2009, 22:31   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehul1100 View Post
These are car pics I have altered my car to my choice and as per my comforts, its LPG with AC. 1996 S1

This is my second premier padmini in my life, before i had 1986 model Std car.
Great effort has gone into making of the car as per my wishes. Thanks to the crafts mens in Kangayam and Spare parts dealers in Coimbatore, Dhanam Auto Store.

Thanks my critics too.
Old 12th December 2009, 22:33   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehul1100 View Post
Great effort has gone into making of the car as per my wishes. Thanks to the crafts mens in Kangayam and Spare parts dealers in Coimbatore, Dhanam Auto Store.

Thanks my critics too.
Yeah Mehul.. Can you explain your idea behind 3 fans under the hood?
Old 12th December 2009, 23:03   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Yeah Mehul.. Can you explain your idea behind 3 fans under the hood?
The idea behind the three fans is that, I was having engine heating problem when Ac on, and more over the thermostat switch was not functioning properly. So I had the idea of having a extra fan for better cooling. So I moved the electrical fan bit away from the centre and put a fan in the center pulley so keep rotating as engine starts.

The electical fan was given a manual switch to be on when temperature rises.

One fan was already there for AC condensor cooling.

Now the car has no heating problem when Ac is on. All the three fans run when AC is on.

One extra fan was there in front of the radiator which I removed recently as it was of no more use. It was Tata Indica `s AC condensor fan so thin that it stays in between radiator and grill.

This is only small alteration, I have seen a Padmini with Power Steering, Central Locking with remote, Remote boot lit opener, AC, Disc brakes, Indica like dash board, bumber integrated fog lambs etc.

I was just stuck dump when I saw that car.
Old 12th December 2009, 23:48   #195
BHPian

Dear all,

I have been an avid reader of Team BHP for a year or more but today only I came across these threads. I own a Premier padmini 93 model and it is reasonably good shape. I have taken her from Mumbai to Madurai several times. I have had no major problems with the Car so far.

I have the original manual and spare parts books issued by PAL and got it from TVS and every now and then I refer this for any repairs to be done. I will post pics of my car in the next few days.

I reside in Mumbai. I require assistance on two counts. I need toknow the source where I can get a charger for the battery. Next lately, if I do not start the car for two days, it does not start. I had the battery checked and the guy says the battery is ok. Only the first start is the problem. once it starts, then further starts I do not face any problem. I have fixed an alternator from Lucas TVS. The battery is around 1.5 years old. Normally the battery comes for 4 years to me.
Gururaj, Andheri East, Mumbai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks