Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 13:25   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ilangop - when you progress the layout, please remember that under full throttle condition, the "butterfly" valve disc must not touch the manifold or its spacer anywhere. I remember that during our initial prototyping, we had overlooked this and we suffered very badly. The angular movement of the disc for both carburettors is 82 degrees. The CD of the Solex mounting studs is 60 mm. The bore for the Solex in the mainfold is 34 mm. The CD for the Mikuni mounting studs is 45*80 mm. (if I am not mistaken, the CD of the mounting studs for the Hitachi which came on the initial 118NEs was 36*63 mm). The length of the studs is important to be able to decide the flange thickness. Please do not use excess length of studs or they will touch the bottom face of the carburettor body and prevent full tightening. All studs are M8*1.25. Nuts are flanged to distribute the load axially. Dimension across flats is 12 mm.

Also, you may look at mounting the carburettor perpendicularly to the car centre line. I have seen such a conversion (was badly done) but this solves the throttle link issue to a certain extent. Obviously the best thing to do is to scout around and procure a Mikuni compatible Padmini intake manifold.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,
Thank you for coming to my rescue and this second reminder about the throttle plate. I think the ramp should be ok, as the directions of rotation of the 2 throttle plates are opposite to each other. In case if the throttle plate fouls with the ramp at a later stage, the ramp will be smothened to a curve.
And thank you again for the information on the stud CDs. My reverse engineering was correct to 0.5 mm. The spacings where 0.5 mm less on all sides. Will do the appropriate corrections before manufacturing. Regarding the suds, I plan to use the old studs from the Padmini and get 4 studs from M800 or 118 NE. Please suggest if that would work.

From the pics of your LHD Padmini, I stuck to this orientation of the carb. Will also try the other prependicular orientation if proves inefficient. Sir, by this "Dimension across flats is 12 mm" do you refer to the bottom most plate of the Mikuni carb?

Hope the answer for being reluctant in hunting for a Mikuni mountable Padmini intake is already there.
- Ilango
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:24   #227
Senior - BHPian

[quote=DHABHAR.BEHRAM;1652470]

(Also got one item which will pleasantly surprise everybody. Cyrus will tell you about it shortly.)

What is the surprise Cyrus bhai ??? Waiting eagerly for it.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:06   #228
Senior - BHPian

Please can anyone tell me one thing that if the engine of the car is consuming oil then what is the effect of it on the catalytic converter (PP S1). Does it get damaged or remains unaffected. The oil can be seen in the tail pipe of the car. So i am a little worried about it.
Old 5th January 2010, 18:52   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kavesh - not four, now five. Just bought one off an S1 being broken in Chor Bazaar at an insane price. Got the carburettor also. Also got a brand new, unused camshaft from an oldie type shop in Shivaji Park. Paid a bomb for it too.

Also got one item which will pleasantly surprise everybody. Cyrus will tell you about it shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I picked up an unused camshaft from a shop in Patiala for Rs 600 last week. Can you please tell us about how to identify the cam (there must have been more than one supplier)? I don't see any markings other than a bunch of numbers. I also picked up some clutch parts (pressure plate and clutch plate of Repco and the release bearing is ABC). How good are these? I also picked up a pair of tie rod ends (Rane) and two sets of original bushes (std and oversize). I couldn't find a good set of spiders though and had to go with local stuff.

Brand new upper and lower control arms were also available with him. Please let me know if anyone needs them.

Please also advise on other engine parts (I want to have enough handy for a complete engine rebuild).

Thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 09:24   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Please can anyone tell me one thing that if the engine of the car is consuming oil then what is the effect of it on the catalytic converter (PP S1). Does it get damaged or remains unaffected. The oil can be seen in the tail pipe of the car. So i am a little worried about it.
Is there anyone who can help in solving my problem or is it a dead thread.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:08   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr Behram is busy with Auto Expo.

Adheesh can you help?
Old 6th January 2010, 10:32   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Mr Behram is busy with Auto Expo.

Adheesh can you help?
And, Adheesh is busy with his Prelims as well.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:20   #233
BHPian

Quote:
The thread isn't dead but your engine soon would be if you dont attend to the particular problem. Oil in the combustion chamber is not only detrimental to the exhaust system but to the whole engine. Burning of oil in the combustion chamber leads to excess carbon deposites on the valve seats, a choked exhaust system, poor tailpipe emissions and ultimately loss of engine efficiency. Please reply with some details of the work done on the engine till date so that we can guide you in totality about whats to be done.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 6th January 2010, 16:07   #234
Senior - BHPian

Ok its great to see this thread alive. The problem with my car is that 2 years back the engine was overhauled with new piston set and till date ran only 13000 kms and the oil is visible in the spark plugs. I cannot understand what is the cause of this problem. please help
Old 6th January 2010, 16:44   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok its great to see this thread alive. The problem with my car is that 2 years back the engine was overhauled with new piston set and till date ran only 13000 kms and the oil is visible in the spark plugs. I cannot understand what is the cause of this problem. please help
The only reason for the oil consumption is worn piston rings. A compression check on all the cylinders will reveal the facts. Is the oil is visible on all the plugs?
Old 6th January 2010, 17:09   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The only reason for the oil consumption is worn piston rings. A compression check on all the cylinders will reveal the facts. Is the oil is visible on all the plugs?
Yes the car is running with adapter on all the plugs.
The plugs, whenever opened, bear engine oil in it and have to be cleaned else the car rattles a lot.
What make of spark plugs are good enough to last till at least 2000 kms. I have installed MICO spark plugs and doubt if they are original.

Last edited by samsag12 : 6th January 2010 at 17:16.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:40   #237
BHPian

You are going to have to overhaul the engine again. Do you mean to say that you only replaced the pistons and the rings the first time around? That is a temporary fix and does not last. You will need to get a rebore and then put new pistons and rings.

Please find a good mechanic first (one who has been around for long enough to know padminis well).
Old 6th January 2010, 17:57   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
What and how is a compression check done?
Old 6th January 2010, 19:37   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
You are going to have to overhaul the engine again. Do you mean to say that you only replaced the pistons and the rings the first time around? That is a temporary fix and does not last. You will need to get a rebore and then put new pistons and rings.

Please find a good mechanic first (one who has been around for long enough to know padminis well).
Sirji i meant to say that apart from the engine getting overhauled( includes all the activities carried out when engine re boring is done) my mechanic suggested to change the pistons with the new ones (Luckily a shop had NOS set of pistons). I think the quality of piston rings was very low that is why it wore out so quickly.the whole job cost me 9000Rs incl labour.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:52   #240
Senior - BHPian

With due respect to Mr Mehul1100 I am posting the picture of his car for reference.
In the picture there is a duct pipe fixed in the air inlet of air filter box which goes far beneath the right side of radiator. I am not able to understand why is this thing done. Does it improves air intake or is it anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0041.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks