Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 12:02   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I am from Lucknow and have a 73 president. I doubt if you will be able to find anybody to do a compression check for you in Lucknow. All you really need is a compression gauge to be able to perform the check. You could probably source the gauge and do it yourself.

The price for a used S1 engine depends on your bargaining skills. I know the place where they scrap cars in Lucknow and I procured the complete rear differential just last month for may car for about 1800 Rs. They buy the complete car for about Rs 15K so keep that in mind when you go engine hunting. Anything between 8-10K would be a good price IMO.

Running without the air filter is an absolute No. Please don't do that.

As for the "pin" - its likely that your mechanic was talking about the pin in the float chamber.

The engine's are broken apart before noon. Your best bet is to be there when a car is being scrapped (get there before 10am). Ask for the scrapyard in "Purania" and you'll find the place. I may have a phone number handy for one of the chaps there - I'll check and get back to you.
Hey BTW your location is set as Bangalore. Where do you or did reside in Lucknow. As you said the scrap dealers buy the car for around 15000 RS and the engine will cost 10000rs.Quite a price.
The car is now running with the air filter. Can you or anybody please post the pics of float pin(is it the one which holds the ballcock type thing inside the carburetor)
CrackedHead if you can provide me the no. of the chap you know, it will be of great help to me.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:21   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
First of all thanks for considering my query.
|
|
BTW your PP S1 is of which year? Will soon post the pics of my car.

My 1991 PP is also running the same carb. By pin, he must be refering to fuel flow valve, which i operated by float. Once you open the petrol sump, u can remove it.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:55   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Hey BTW your location is set as Bangalore. Where do you or did reside in Lucknow. As you said the scrap dealers buy the car for around 15000 RS and the engine will cost 10000rs.Quite a price.
The car is now running with the air filter. Can you or anybody please post the pics of float pin(is it the one which holds the ballcock type thing inside the carburetor)
CrackedHead if you can provide me the no. of the chap you know, it will be of great help to me.
The carburetor you have photographed has 3 (9mm) screws on the top. Carefully remove the choke linkage rod and then remove the 3 top screws. Lift the carburetor top and you will see the float as well as the float pin.

Also the engine alone will cost about 5-7K depending on your bargaining skills as well as your relations with seller. Plonking in a different engine is just running away from the problem. You never know if the same (or God forbid a more severe) problem would be experienced with the replacement engine. The correct way would be to throughly disassemble your current engine and take it to the best and perhaps the most aged turner in your city (you will have to do some research on that front). Most probably you would need to get the bore rebored with standard size pistons and rings, and resurface the head. Additional parts such as bearings, etc should be evaluated by the turner and not the mechanic
Please do not try to save money on parts or labour because it is never possible to save money on these things. If a job is not correctly done now, it will have to be done again very very soon and ultimately cost you a lot more in terms of time, money, energy and patience.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 10th January 2010 at 13:05.
adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 12:56   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I work in Bangalore. Am only in Lucknow for a couple of weeks every year. You might get the engine for lesser - depends on your bargaining skills. 8-10 K is the prices I've been quoted when I checked.
Old 10th January 2010, 13:15   #260
Senior - BHPian

I opened the top of the carburetor and found the float and float pin there. But to my knowledge i found nothing damaged. The pin was there intact with the top part and the float was also OK as i checked it dipping in petrol (it can be taken out from the pin or not).
CrackedHead regarding the price i think i would rather buy a used S1 as a donor car for Rs 12000 and sell off the remaining parts.
BTW were you able to dig up the contact no. of the guy you know at the scrapyard. Are you stating the location of scrapyard somewhere near the Puraniya chouraha.
The next time you visit Lucknow please inform me so that we can meet here.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th January 2010 at 13:17.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:02   #261
BHPian

padmini carburettor

Padmini Carbuettor totally dissected across all models!
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-001.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-002.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-003.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-004.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-005.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-006.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-007.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-008.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-009.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-010.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-011.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-012.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-padmini-carburettor-013.jpg  

gururaj r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 17:30   #262
BHPian

Does anyone here have got spare S1 manifold?
Old 10th January 2010, 18:44   #263
BHPian

Thanks Gururaj ! However the Bicsa carburetor was never documented in early stages of its introduction in Padminis. It was only in the S1's that Bicsa was documented on the brochures. However I dont know if the S1 Parts Catalog (if there was any) has Bicsa documented in it.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 10th January 2010, 19:07   #264
Senior - BHPian

I need urgent help regarding the roof lining of my car PP S1. My car has completed nearly 14.5 years with stock roof lining i.e. rexine and now it is falling off touching the head of the passengers. I was thinking of getting it replaced with a new one. I am also planning to replace the front and rear windshield rubber lining as water seeps in very badly. My car needs paint and tinkering work but i am in no mood to get that done in near future.
Thus, i want to know shall i proceed with the roof lining work as i do not want to get it repaired. Also what should be used to insulate the ceiling, is Styrofoam (thermocol) advisable.
BTW if i do not replace the front and rear windshield rubber lining at present and leave the rexine, which is molded inside it, hanging out and get it under the rubber lining later will it be OK.
Old 11th January 2010, 09:24   #265
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone help regarding post no.264??
Old 11th January 2010, 09:50   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need urgent help regarding the roof lining of my car PP S1. My car has completed nearly 14.5 years with stock roof lining i.e. rexine and now it is falling off touching the head of the passengers. I was thinking of getting it replaced with a new one.
Thus, i want to know shall i proceed with the roof lining work as i do not want to get it repaired. Also what should be used to insulate the ceiling, is Styrofoam (thermocol) advisable.
Sagar,
We need better pis of your car.

Your car's roof lining is falling off in just 14.5 years. How come man!
Such problems are too simple to be asked here.

Quote:
I am also planning to replace the front and rear windshield rubber lining as water seeps in very badly.
Go ahead and first replace it.
Quote:
My car needs paint and tinkering work but i am in no mood to get that done in near future.
Make up your mood and start the restoration. We Fiat lovers love restoring our cars. Why don't you have the mood to do it?

The few Fiat parts that are available are also getting scarce day by day. So you better start working on your car asap.

Last edited by arun1100 : 11th January 2010 at 10:05.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:36   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Sagar,
We need better pis of your car.

Your car's roof lining is falling off in just 14.5 years. How come man!
Such problems are too simple to be asked here.

Go ahead and first replace it.

Make up your mood and start the restoration. We Fiat lovers love restoring our cars. Why don't you have the mood to do it?

The few Fiat parts that are available are also getting scarce day by day. So you better start working on your car asap.
Mr Arun regarding my query about the insulation thing what should be used in order to keep the car cool in summers.
About the restoration work, I am still searching for a good mechanic to do the engine overhaul work. For the painting work, i have found one place where they do computerized paint work (Particle paint). Actually it is a workshop of HM where they have a painting booth. I was given a quote of Rs 6000 for the paint and tinkering work which excludes the cost of Painting kit.
Lastly about the fiat parts, i have started procuring them on a very fast pace. Actually i am buying each & every part whether it is cosmetic part of mechanical one. So once i am able to procure each and every part which would be needed during the restoration process, i will immediately start the work.
Old 11th January 2010, 20:25   #268
BHPian

Yes Mr Adheesh! The earlier manual mentions about Solex and Weber Carburettor! The S1 model came later and as I own only the earlier model to S1, I took care to collect only the manuals meant forthat vehicle. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Thanks Gururaj ! However the Bicsa carburetor was never documented in early stages of its introduction in Padminis. It was only in the S1's that Bicsa was documented on the brochures. However I dont know if the S1 Parts Catalog (if there was any) has Bicsa documented in it.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 19th January 2010, 19:29   #269
Senior - BHPian

Few days back some questions came up in my mind regarding PP S1. Hope you guys can help especially Mr Arun

1. Is the front cross member of S1 same in design and dimension as compared to old padminis

2. Can the original fuel pump (ucal make) be repaired or replacing is the only option. I am getting new one of KPACCO make.

3. The 3speed intermittent wiper is not functioning properly. It wipes at only 2 and 3 speed and the auto position system is also not working.I have to manually bring it down. It was repaired after my car caught fire so all the plastic sockets and wires were burnt. The electrician replaced all the wires only and when i told him that wiper is not functioning at a certain speed he told that there is a plastic part which controls speed and it is unavailable in the market. So what should be the problem. Can anything be done regarding this and what plastic part is he referring to.

4. I inquired about the rubber lining of doors, and was told that it is called RUBBER GOLA and is available for 600 rs. Should i go for it.

5. What should be the approx price of new front and rear windshield rubber lining? (please state breakup cost)
Old 19th January 2010, 19:46   #270
BHPian

@samsag-The ucal fuel pump can be repaired- new diaphrams are avaliable as a kit.
As for the wiper motor, try getting one from a car being scrapped.

I'm travelling and its hard to reply to pm's from the phone

Most Viewed