Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 20:12   #271
BANNED

I had a problem with the rubber coupling recently, here are the pics:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1689886

The failed rubber coupling is of VIR company and run only 1200KM. I have again purchased the same company's product as it was urgent.
Is there any other company's product of superior quality.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:54   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
The failed rubber coupling is of VIR company and run only 1200KM. I have again purchased the same company's product as it was urgent.
Its sad that a VIR product failed. I wonder how reliably we can drive our Fiats in the future.

I think after my car's restoration, I will fix the same 20 yrs old coupling. No issues at all with it.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:17   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
I had a problem with the rubber coupling recently, here are the pics:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1689886

Tough luck mate! Ensure something else isnt causing this issue

By the way, how much did you shell out for the coupling rubber?
Old 19th January 2010, 21:18   #274
Senior - BHPian

can any body help regarding post no 269. Mr Arun, a request to you please throw some light on points 1 and 3 of the post
Old 19th January 2010, 21:25   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Few days back some questions came up in my mind regarding PP S1. Hope you guys can help especially Mr Arun

1. Is the front cross member of S1 same in design and dimension as compared to old padminis

2. Can the original fuel pump (ucal make) be repaired or replacing is the only option. I am getting new one of KPACCO make.

3. The 3speed intermittent wiper is not functioning properly. It wipes at only 2 and 3 speed and the auto position system is also not working.I have to manually bring it down. It was repaired after my car caught fire so all the plastic sockets and wires were burnt. The electrician replaced all the wires only and when i told him that wiper is not functioning at a certain speed he told that there is a plastic part which controls speed and it is unavailable in the market. So what should be the problem. Can anything be done regarding this and what plastic part is he referring to.

4. I inquired about the rubber lining of doors, and was told that it is called RUBBER GOLA and is available for 600 rs. Should i go for it.

5. What should be the approx price of new front and rear windshield rubber lining? (please state breakup cost)
Answers to my Knowledge:

1. Its same as in Padmini.

2. UCAL parts not available in Bangalore.
KPACCO make available at Rs. 400

3. For wiper problem, we in bangy usually pick up a wiper motor from scrapyard.

4. Rubber lining for Doors is available of ALP make. Costs Rs.650.

5. Rs.250+ Rs.250
Old 19th January 2010, 21:41   #276
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot for your reply As you stated that the cross member is same for both the models, did it meant that the lower cross member is also same.(the one which holds radiator at the bottom)
BTW how much should be paid for the 3 speed intermittent wiper motor if picked from scrapyard and what precautions should be taken to avoid crap motors. Although i will get it tested at all the speeds before buying.
The main doubt which you cleared for me is of windshield rubber lining. the price stated here by a dealer to me for the set was 950 rs. Listening this i gave it a second thought but now i will get it changed in a few days after getting hold of it at a reasonable price. Do the trim ones come at a premium.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:47   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Its sad that a VIR product failed. I wonder how reliably we can drive our Fiats in the future.

I think after my car's restoration, I will fix the same 20 yrs old coupling. No issues at all with it.
I am using coupling by MOKH. Its doing service on my fiat for last 8 years and 16000 kms. Still no probs. Though i keep one spare in the dickey. Mokh coupling costs around 200 or so (5 years back, when i bought that spare coupling, I think it costed me 120/-).
Old 20th January 2010, 08:57   #278
BHPian

Quote:
1. Is the front cross member of S1 same in design and dimension as compared to old padminis

2. Can the original fuel pump (ucal make) be repaired or replacing is the only option. I am getting new one of KPACCO make.

3. The 3speed intermittent wiper is not functioning properly. It wipes at only 2 and 3 speed and the auto position system is also not working.I have to manually bring it down. It was repaired after my car caught fire so all the plastic sockets and wires were burnt. The electrician replaced all the wires only and when i told him that wiper is not functioning at a certain speed he told that there is a plastic part which controls speed and it is unavailable in the market. So what should be the problem. Can anything be done regarding this and what plastic part is he referring to.

4. I inquired about the rubber lining of doors, and was told that it is called RUBBER GOLA and is available for 600 rs. Should i go for it.
(please state breakup cost)
1. I think so

3. The wiper motor is same as in the Mahindra Jeeps. The switch should be available with Jeep spare shops.
4. I got a set for my NE at Rs 450/- in Trichy. Havent found the time to fix them. Do the Maruti Omnis share the share rubber linings? Has anyone observed?
Old 20th January 2010, 09:54   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot for your reply As you stated that the cross member is same for both the models, did it meant that the lower cross member is also same.(the one which holds radiator at the bottom)
BTW how much should be paid for the 3 speed intermittent wiper motor if picked from scrapyard and what precautions should be taken to avoid crap motors. Although i will get it tested at all the speeds before buying.
The main doubt which you cleared for me is of windshield rubber lining. the price stated here by a dealer to me for the set was 950 rs. Listening this i gave it a second thought but now i will get it changed in a few days after getting hold of it at a reasonable price. Do the trim ones come at a premium.
Well there's the catch, the mounting point for the radiator are different in the Chassis for the PP and the PPS1 and as such slight modification is required. I hope the old PP chassis is still available and then some good ones also do come up in scrapyard however I doubt their worth. Chassis for the S1 are hard to come by and may be Bhpian's from Maharashtra can help.

For the wiper motor if you can get tested that should be fine.

The windshield rubber should be around 500 -600 and is easily available. The trim one's are not at the premium. The trim itself will be 360 odd bucks in aluminium.

As for the door rubbers lining I believe you mean the rubber trim on the door apperture in the body. It is basically flexible metal u piece coated with rubber so that can be had at the rubber shop easily. And you can fix of some other car too.

For Fuel Pump Kits are available to repare, however if the aluminium body has damaged then you have to replace the same. KPACCO is the one currently available.

Compression Gauge is easily available and would be around 1000 odd bucks, Equus is a reputed brand easily available.

For the Carb You have to get the Top replaced as rightly suggested by the Guru's.

Bye the way you mentioned you ran your car without airfilter , how many kilometers did you run without the filter.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:17   #280
Senior - BHPian

Good to see ilangop on this thread. Which switch are you referring to. is it the plastic part which controls wiper speed ? BTW i am still searching for your parts.
Thank you manishalive for the information you provided.
1. As you stated the differences in cross-member, i think i should be getting it fabricated from local welder.
2. How much should one pay for the 2speed intermittent wiper motor if picked from scrapyard ?
3. Is it advisable to go for the rubber lining trims or should i get only rubber fixed. BTW what should be conveyed to the dealer to procure the trims. Is there any specific name of it.
4. The ucal fuel pump has its diaphragm damaged. Actually the car stood idle for a long time for months so the diaphragm was soaked in petrol and was damaged.that is what my mechanic said.
5. It was some 8000 odd Kms after the engine overhaul, we came to know that there is no air filter in the air filter box. Actually we were getting the car serviced and the mechanic while tuning the car removed air filter box. We were shocked to see that air was there, box was there but no filter in it. Later we came to a conclusion that in the engine overhauling process, mechanic took it off.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:39   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Which switch are you referring to. is it the plastic part which controls wiper speed ?
The switch that sits in the motor. It is white in colour and has 4 - 6 wires getting into it. It has a long leg that gets into the wheel of the worm wheel mechanism inside the motor. The wheel has a cam that operates the switch and senses the home position for wiper motor.
Quote:
BTW i am still searching for your parts.
Thank you, at your leisure.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:47   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
The switch that sits in the motor. It is white in colour and has 4 - 6 wires getting into it. It has a long leg that gets into the wheel of the worm wheel mechanism inside the motor. The wheel has a cam that operates the switch and senses the home position for wiper motor.
Thank you, at your leisure.
Can you please state this on pic. I will be going in a hour to purchase these parts so if you can post some pics . What exactly is it called. The wiper motor was burnt totally as car caught fire so every plastic component burnt.therefore, please state what parts plastic parts should be procured.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:17   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please state this on pic. I will be going in a hour to purchase these parts so if you can post some pics . What exactly is it called. The wiper motor was burnt totally as car caught fire so every plastic component burnt.therefore, please state what parts plastic parts should be procured.
Would suggest you to get hold of a piece form the scrap yard or better tell the electrician to arrange for one, he will charge a bit more but he will make sure the thing works.

8000 Km's is too much if run in a dusty enviornment?? A compression check will be the right thing to access the condition.

If the diaphragm of the pump is broken the same can be replaced.

For the Trim you need to say Door Beading.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:17   #284
BHPian

Sutith, mostly the problem is not with the quality of coupling but with a different issue altogether. Please refer to my post number 205 here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1641536. This would most probably solve the problem.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 20th January 2010, 12:21   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go.
Also called wiper park switch
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wiper_motor_parkswitch.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-0bxoul.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks