Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 20:32   #316
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot for the appreciation. BTW can any one help me regarding exact measurement from the marked weld joints of the side repeater mounting holes as shown in the figure. My S1 didn't came with one so no holes on it.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc01244.jpg  

Old 21st January 2010, 20:36   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW can any one help me regarding exact measurement from the marked weld joints of the side repeater mounting holes as shown in the figure.
You can calculate the hole position yourself by doing some mathematics by taking the side pattis' holes as reference.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:46   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
You can calculate the hole position yourself by doing some mathematics by taking the side pattis' holes as reference.
thanks for sweeping the dirt off my mind. Yeah i can measure the distance between the 2 holes of side pattis and calculate the mount distance.
I was thinking of getting my car's bench seat replaced with a bucket one. Should i go ahead and do this modd as i am not very comfortable with the present ones. Neither i want to get them re foamed. They lack thigh and lumbar support. Also please state as to which car model seat fitting i buy from the scrapyard. Although i like the original PP ones but the chances of getting them are very less. How much should i pay for a pair of seat fittings with rail if procured from scrapyard ?
Old 21st January 2010, 20:54   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of getting my car's bench seat replaced with a bucket one. Should i go ahead and do this modd as i am not very comfortable with the present ones. Neither i want to get them re foamed.
One friend's car has Ikon seats in them. Very comfortable. I guess NE seats should fit in well.

Hows the car scrap market of Lucknow? Any good FIAT cosmetics still available?

I used to stay in Lucknow when I was small. Now I have a close friend in Bangalore who hails from Gomti Nagar, Lucknow. I have told him too to try for FIAT parts in Lucknow.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:02   #320
BHPian

Dear All- I am really delighted to see the attention to detail. regarding the issues my two bits-

Steering Wheel- PP orginally came with a thin two spoke steering wheel and a round horn button as shown by samsag.
1990-91 saw the introduction of the 3 spoke steering wheel (its there in the picture gallery of Adheesh), this continued on production cars till 94.
95 onwards there was a trapezoid desgin (a plateau like look) with PAL stuck on the engraved part.
96-97 was the year the steering shown by Karthik was introduced, for the Diesel, Executive and in Karthiks case the S1.The last set is prone to failure, I think i even mentioned before, in mumbai most of the cabbies with such steering wheels put a light switch steel or plastic(like the ones we use at home) for the horn.they are master inventors
Some cars in 97 too came with the trapezoidal steering, guess PAL fixed with whatever they got in their hand.
There was also a maruti replica steering that Pal used and put PAL instead of MARUTI. Carbon copy otherwise. Dont remember the year when it was introduced. but it exists.
The plastic piece in the trapezoidal design seems to fall off, when i went to buy one, the shop owner also had an entire steering wheel. Rs. 500 in 2006.
He also had Purolator air filters for S1.

Repeater lights- Premier Padmini deluxe came with repeater lights like the pre 98 Maruti 800 & omni (Copy here too). My S1 came with the original repeater, thanks to Mumbai traffic and quality of plastics I lost them. The chromed ones were introduced with the 137D and subsequent S1 petrol models. When I doing up my car searched High and low for the original ones but they were not available and the omni ones would nt fit. I have however managed to get a spare from a old Chiliya shop. Such shops exist in Mumbai Central hub, for the taxi Union and the Premier Padmini.

Wipers- The original wiper stalks are hard to find in Mumbai and dont know the adaptablity of Omni ones look and function the same way. Regarding the intermittent function, its the first to fail. I have braved 2 of Mumbai monsoons with only a fast and slow setting.

Its good to be concerned about some of the bells and whistles that Premier Padmini came with but sadly they dont last too long. I wanted to change everything when i bought the car in 2003, my parsi garage owner then advised in the process of doing so 'Laambo thai Jaase'. After much deliberation only changed to parts that were original and absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Kavesh M Kundapurkar
Old 21st January 2010, 21:14   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One friend's car has Ikon seats in them. Very comfortable. I guess NE seats should fit in well.

Hows the car scrap market of Lucknow? Any good FIAT cosmetics still available?

I used to stay in Lucknow when I was small. Now I have a close friend in Bangalore who hails from Gomti Nagar, Lucknow. I have told him too to try for FIAT parts in Lucknow.
now a days the scrap market here is seeing new car models like the 800,alto, swift and even esteems. There are very few PP/fiats being scrapped here as a major share has already been scrapped. The kabaadiwalas have almost anything you want but in a different shape. You say i want a fiat steering wheel they give you a 800 one, you ask for the original carburetor of PP they point out a esteem one.
although there are cosmetic parts available in the local shops as well as scrap market but one has o keep an eye on them as they vanish very quickly.
Can anyone guess the total cost for a pair of seat fittings with rail if procured from scrapyard ?
Old 21st January 2010, 21:22   #322
Senior - BHPian

Dear Kavesh And Aal:
Its really nice to see FIATians restoring their Padminis' to originality.

I too wanted to restore my 1991 Padmini to its original specifications. Its a Economy model. So it is supposed to have body colored bumpers. The Black grill is very rare to find. As said before by you guys, the Padmini parts available now are of really low quality.

Hence I am DELIGHTing my PADMINI.!! I mean I am restoring my Padmini to Classic DELIGHT style. Past six months I have been able to collect all Delight parts. Every part i have procured is of high quality to last for ever..
Old 21st January 2010, 21:24   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone guess the total cost for a pair of seat fittings with rail if procured from scrapyard ?
A good modern car's seats costs 3k to 4k in Bangalore.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:02   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Kavesh And Aal:
Its really nice to see FIATians restoring their Padminis' to originality.

I too wanted to restore my 1991 Padmini to its original specifications. Its a Economy model. So it is supposed to have body colored bumpers. The Black grill is very rare to find. As said before by you guys, the Padmini parts available now are of really low quality.

Hence I am DELIGHTing my PADMINI.!! I mean I am restoring my Padmini to Classic DELIGHT style. Past six months I have been able to collect all Delight parts. Every part i have procured is of high quality to last for ever..
Sirji i can help you procure the black front grill with PAL emblem. I have com across a few ones when i asked for front grill. I even had a choice of either to buy a chrome one or a black one. But then as you said, you already procured the delight parts so i am guessing that you had procured the single piece aluminum front grill of delight.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:35   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
96-97 was the year the steering shown by Karthik was introduced, for the Diesel, Executive and in Karthiks case the S1.The last set is prone to failure, I think i even mentioned before, in mumbai most of the cabbies with such steering wheels put a light switch steel or plastic(like the ones we use at home) for the horn.they are master inventors
When I was dejected of not finding a horn button assembly, such ideas came to my mind too. I felt stupid to try something like that and refrained. Ilango has offered to help me with fixing the button assembly for me. I will be shipping the button assembly to him by courier by tomorrow end. I am very sure he will somehow get this to work

I actually have 2 steering wheels. One that come with my car(button completely broken so previous owner had put a different one). The other one, I bought from scrapyard for 100 bucks. I kind of knew that the button wasnt working, atleast the outer shell was good.

Kavesh: Is my type of horn button assembly available in Mumbai?

Last edited by funkykar : 21st January 2010 at 23:37.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:41   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The side indicators you posted are for deluxe models prior to the S1. Original S1 side indicators were like the ones on Karthik Makam's car.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Wow!! Thanks Adheesh. I never knew about this. I too was thinking that I had after market indicators
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:21   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

I actually have 2 steering wheels. One that come with my car(button completely broken so previous owner had put a different one). The other one, I bought from scrapyard for 100 bucks. I kind of knew that the button wasnt working, atleast the outer shell was good.

Kavesh: Is my type of horn button assembly available in Mumbai?
Chances are slim, but will look out for.
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:26   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Wow!! Thanks Adheesh. I never knew about this. I too was thinking that I had after market indicators
No as per my observation after market for Premier Padmini is always jazzy, there is a new variety which has come. its oval, resembles an eye, with silver eyelids and an orange cornea.
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:26   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sirji i can help you procure the black front grill with PAL emblem. I have com across a few ones when i asked for front grill.
This is the black grill i was referring to!! This grill is very difficult to get. I am trying to deal with car's owner for the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00328.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2010, 09:58   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the black grill i was referring to!! This grill is very difficult to get. I am trying to deal with car's owner for the grill.
Is the grill aluminum one or plastic one ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks