Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:02   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Is the grill aluminum one or plastic one ?
Its a Plastic grill. Not so strong to last for many years..
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:26   #332
Senior - BHPian

I inquired here about the grill and the dealer said he can get it but its the same in design as the chrome one.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:32   #333
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday you stated the price of bucket seats. I am not able to figure out that the price is for a new one or a used one. Also does the cost stated includes the welding and fitting.
BTW i am looking out for a decent set of old 118NE from scrap. Please state the price if procured from scrapyard. Sirji 3k to 4k is a lot.BTW Did they have head rest. My mechanic owns 2 NE's one petrol and the other Diesel(1.38) and both of them have bucket without headrest. How about fitting a Indica/Esteem one.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:41   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Chances are slim, but will look out for.
Even if u find one from scrap in working order, I will be pleased
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:47   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Yesterday you stated the price of bucket seats. I am not able to figure out that the price is for a new one or a used one. Also does the cost stated includes the welding and fitting.
BTW i am looking out for a decent set of old 118NE from scrap. Please state the price if procured from scrapyard. Sirji 3k to 4k is a lot.BTW Did they have head rest. My mechanic owns 2 NE's one petrol and the other Diesel(1.38) and both of them have bucket without headrest. How about fitting a Indica/Esteem one.
What Arun said was just the seats. It doesnt include fitting. The prices of anything in scrap just depends on its condition and whom you are buying it from. Very good ones (as we casually enquire prices of anything and everything we see) in scrap market could cost u 3-4k. Again, it depends, if you are lucky you may get it for 2-3k also. You have to figure out and find someone who would do the fitting. It may include some modifications to be made.

Could someone tell samsag what car's seats best suit for his car?
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:28   #336
BHPian

I would personally prefer a seat from an 118 NE. The seat is so wide and comfortable unlike the tall seat from Indica or a narrow M-800 seat. Incase the reclining mechanism the NE seat is jammed, just replace it with a new one for less than Rs 450/-. The older M-800 seats have the same rotatable reclining mechanism, where as the newer ones have the spring loaded one. For the driver seat in NE ask for the left seat's mechanism in M-800 and vice versa. As a matter of upgrade, if you want to shift to a spring loaded one, then you ll have to make new holes in the mechanism and align the centres. I had replaced the driver side mechanism in my car with the M-800 old type. Ask me if some one needs an elaboration, coz it was again a DIY at home.
One drawback with the NEs seat is that the sliding rail has the latch in only 1 side. While I bought my car, the spring that holds the latch got twisted and it would never hold the latch. At times it would happend that the seat would dangerously move back by itself while accelerating, and come forward while braking. Now it has been fixed though. As it is welding brackets and a coat of paint is unavoidable with any seat modification, so it is up to your personal choice.
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:27   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - please do not spend good money to buy any junk seats from the scrap market. They will not work in Padminis / Fiats. I have seen numerous examples where things have gone horribly wrong. The main prblem is the Z axis dimension (vertical). It is different in our cars as compared to modern cars. Therefore, whatever you fit, you will sit quite high and you will have to become a hunchback to look out through the windscreen. There is a very good solution though. In 1990, we introduced PU moulded bench seats in Padmini (as usual, I was the project engineer). The vendor was Vijayjyot Seats Pvt Ltd, in Baroda. The front seat was reverse engineered out of the Maruti Van's rear seat. It came out very well and was giving good results. See if you can get a good front seat in the scrap market. In common jargon it is called "fiat ka patla walla seat" because the backrest is quite thin. We wanted higher rear seat legroom so I reduced the PU thickness but increased its hardness. This seat can be identified by 2 black powder coated brackets at both sides having 4 nos M8 bolts holding the backrest to the base. The mounting bracket sitting on the main brackets is silver painted and can be seen when you open the front doors. Buy one if you find it in good condition and use it. They are quite rare to find.As usual, garagewallahs ruin it by adding strips below the foam to prop it up if the foam has lost its properties. Do not buy such junk. Look properly and then only buy. You can re-upholster it if required but just check that the original PU foam is OK. This seat backrest is rectangular at its top ends unlike the curvy one on the older seats. I am attaching a picture of MRY3112 with this bench seat adapted and reupholstered for your reference.

If at all you are hell bent on fitting bucket seats, please note that we had engineered 118NE seats on Padmini (as usual, I was project engineer here also). The vendor was Unity Industries, Mumbai. See an original 1996 / 1997 model Padmini Deluxe. You will see that the floor cross reinforcement (just behind the handbrake lever) has channel shaped adaptor brackets on which the seat is fitted. It is not a garage job, there is a complex angle built into the bracket. So, if you are attempting it, do it properly, otherwise don't do it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00252.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-100_0745.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:53   #338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
This is the black grill i was referring to!! This grill is very difficult to get. I am trying to deal with car's owner for the grill.
Aluminium ? Which garage you spotted it ?
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:34   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - please do not spend good money to buy any junk seats from the scrap market. They will not work in Padminis / Fiats. I have seen numerous examples where things have gone horribly wrong. The main prblem is the Z axis dimension (vertical). It is different in our cars as compared to modern cars. Therefore, whatever you fit, you will sit quite high and you will have to become a hunchback to look out through the windscreen. There is a very good solution though. In 1990, we introduced PU moulded bench seats in Padmini (as usual, I was the project engineer). The vendor was Vijayjyot Seats Pvt Ltd, in Baroda. The front seat was reverse engineered out of the Maruti Van's rear seat. It came out very well and was giving good results. See if you can get a good front seat in the scrap market. In common jargon it is called "fiat ka patla walla seat" because the backrest is quite thin. We wanted higher rear seat legroom so I reduced the PU thickness but increased its hardness. This seat can be identified by 2 black powder coated brackets at both sides having 4 nos M8 bolts holding the backrest to the base. The mounting bracket sitting on the main brackets is silver painted and can be seen when you open the front doors. Buy one if you find it in good condition and use it. They are quite rare to find.As usual, garagewallahs ruin it by adding strips below the foam to prop it up if the foam has lost its properties. Do not buy such junk. Look properly and then only buy. You can re-upholster it if required but just check that the original PU foam is OK. This seat backrest is rectangular at its top ends unlike the curvy one on the older seats. I am attaching a picture of MRY3112 with this bench seat adapted and reupholstered for your reference.

If at all you are hell bent on fitting bucket seats, please note that we had engineered 118NE seats on Padmini (as usual, I was project engineer here also). The vendor was Unity Industries, Mumbai. See an original 1996 / 1997 model Padmini Deluxe. You will see that the floor cross reinforcement (just behind the handbrake lever) has channel shaped adaptor brackets on which the seat is fitted. It is not a garage job, there is a complex angle built into the bracket. So, if you are attempting it, do it properly, otherwise don't do it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I had seen those Seats in PP S1 (they were in that model na). Sorry for my ignorance on the effort but back then i thought the seat to be taken directly from the rear Bench seat of the 5 seater Maruti Omni as they look quite similar .
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:51   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I would personally prefer a seat from an 118 NE. The seat is so wide and comfortable unlike the tall seat from Indica or a narrow M-800 seat. Incase the reclining mechanism the NE seat is jammed, just replace it with a new one for less than Rs 450/-. The older M-800 seats have the same rotatable reclining mechanism, where as the newer ones have the spring loaded one. For the driver seat in NE ask for the left seat's mechanism in M-800 and vice versa. As a matter of upgrade, if you want to shift to a spring loaded one, then you ll have to make new holes in the mechanism and align the centres. I had replaced the driver side mechanism in my car with the M-800 old type. Ask me if some one needs an elaboration, coz it was again a DIY at home.
One drawback with the NEs seat is that the sliding rail has the latch in only 1 side. While I bought my car, the spring that holds the latch got twisted and it would never hold the latch. At times it would happend that the seat would dangerously move back by itself while accelerating, and come forward while braking. Now it has been fixed though. As it is welding brackets and a coat of paint is unavoidable with any seat modification, so it is up to your personal choice.
I know that you are a DIY guy and would prefer doing any modd without any hesitation but it's not in my case. If this hell lot of work is required for fitting a bucket seat then i would rather love to have the present ones reupholstered and covered with good quality art leather seat covers.
BTW do the original PP S1 bucket seats fit in a bench seat car without much modification. I know that rails have to be fabricated in order to fit them but apart from this is there any other work required. Can i use the existing rails with the rails of bucket seat.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:02   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello sir its good to see you on this thread after a long time. As you stated, I am exclusively looking out for the original PP S1 or 118NE seats as i was dead sure an other car's seat will require a lot of fabrication and would not match the interiors of the car. So i asked many people who guided me not to convert it. Sir my car is a August 95 model S1 and its seats have become very hard. It still has the original rexine over it, the gray with light gray patterned patches. It seems a lot of work has to be carried out for this job and i think the amount spent on this job can be utilised in some other useful areas such as procuring the near to original parts as a stock.
BTW what should i do to make the seats a bit softer so that it doesn't feel like a bus seat?
Old 24th January 2010, 15:25   #342
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me regarding this part of wiper motor. What is its name or what is it called apart from Wiper park switch as stated by ilangop, in the local language of shop owners/scrap dealers.
I am unable to find it so can anybody state some other vehicle's part which functions as this one an can be used in the PP S1 wiper motor.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wiper_motor_parkswitch.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 10:14   #343
Senior - BHPian

I am getting my car's headlight changed. Upon inquiring the dealer, he stated Lumax make lights for 150 per pc. that too without bulb and holder. Are they good. My headlight's reflector got busted. So please somebody help me regarding this. Is there any other good brand of headlights available for PP S1.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:47   #344
BHPian

There are a lot available in market, Autopal, Hella, Neolite, to name a few. Lumax is good. There are lamp with flat lens and a domed lens. In my opinion the flat lens (Ex: Autopal lamps) look good on the Padmini. Also check if there is a provision for the park lamp in the reflector. As well you can ask the seller to show you a transparent lens reflector, which can give a contemporary look. Price can start from Rs 90/- per piece depending on the brand, your location, and your intimacy with the seller.
For the wiper park switch why dont you ask the shopkeeper to fish out a wiper motor for an Amby / Jeep / PP and ask for the park switch by showing it on the new motor. Never mind if he gets annoyed for kiling his time.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 12:40   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
There are a lot available in market, Autopal, Hella, Neolite, to name a few. Lumax is good. There are lamp with flat lens and a domed lens. In my opinion the flat lens (Ex: Autopal lamps) look good on the Padmini. Also check if there is a provision for the park lamp in the reflector. As well you can ask the seller to show you a transparent lens reflector, which can give a contemporary look. Price can start from Rs 90/- per piece depending on the brand, your location, and your intimacy with the seller.
For the wiper park switch why dont you ask the shopkeeper to fish out a wiper motor for an Amby / Jeep / PP and ask for the park switch by showing it on the new motor. Never mind if he gets annoyed for kiling his time.
Hello ilangop regarding the headlamp i have the original old dome one which came factory fitted. Though it was replaced by flat lens one, you pointed out a cool thing which is transparent lens reflector. I would be looking for it.
It would give the car a very distinctive identity from front. BTW what did you mean by provision for the park lamp in the reflector. There is one main bulb holder and another low beam holder. Is there any other thing apart from this? Do amby,s use same wiper motor? One thing more, what amount should be paid for a used 3 speed wiper motor if bought from scrapyard. I am thinking of getting one only for the sake of this socket(switch). My motor is working properly but only because of this it lacks full functionality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks