Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 08:44   #361
BHPian

Adaptor for Mikuni Carb in PP

Hi all,
As mentioned a couple of weeks earlier, we have gone still one more step further. The adaptor has been fabricated and fits good. Here are the attached pics. Hopefully I find some time this weekend to put this up on the vehicle and test it.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0301.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0302.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0303.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0306.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0307.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-pict0308.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2010, 10:57   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi all,
As mentioned a couple of weeks earlier, we have gone still one more step further. The adaptor has been fabricated and fits good. Here are the attached pics. Hopefully I find some time this weekend to put this up on the vehicle and test it.
-Ilango
Ilango, thats awesome!!!

Some questions:
1) What cost did you incur to make the adaptor?
2) How much did you get the Mikuni carburator?
3) Which carburater is it and are its spares available easily?

If all goes well (which I am sure as Ilango has his hands on it), I might be too tempted to get one done from you

Last edited by funkykar : 29th January 2010 at 10:59.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:08   #363
BHPian

mikuni adapter

Why not cut a bigger hole for the side that fixes on the intake manifold. I mean the hole can be of circumference of the packing hole. Wouldnt it help.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:14   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

1) What cost did you incur to make the adaptor?
Rs 600/- including material, labour, and courier (got it done from Chennai)
2) How much did you get the Mikuni carburator?
3) Which carburater is it and are its spares available easily?
If all goes well (which I am sure as Ilango has his hands on it), I might be too tempted to get one done from you
The one in the picture is from a M-1000 of a colleague's. But here we can get a used one for about Rs 1000 - 1200 and a new one of a M-800 for Rs 3500/-. We prefer to got for an old one from any M-1000, as this is a maiden attempt from our side. So please wait to see if things go well and we really see any betterment atleast in terms of starting the car after a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Why not cut a bigger hole for the side that fixes on the intake manifold. I mean the hole can be of circumference of the packing hole. Wouldnt it help.
Actually the drawing given to the manufacturer has a round hole for the bottom. But somehow that was forgotten by the fabricator. Anyways the smaller venturi that is straight before this hole is fully seen (No obstruction) in the 4th picture. Thats the reason why dont want to machine it any further.

Dear Behram Sir, Please let me know if you could foresee any shortcomings in this adaptor. We plan to go for a M-800 Air filter assembly. Please give us some idea on the length of the studs to be used.

-Ilango
Old 29th January 2010, 13:29   #365
BHPian

Quote:
So please wait to see if things go well and we really see any betterment atleast in terms of starting the car after a long time.
-Ilango
Did you consider switching to an electronic fuel pump?

You'll also need to make provisions for the return fuel line - what plans for that ?

PS: Its been discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:31   #366
Senior - BHPian

Sure Ilango. We will wait and watch the progress. Just curious on how much you spent on the adaptor, let us know if you are okay with it.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:46   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Did you consider switching to an electronic fuel pump? You'll also need to make provisions for the return fuel line - what plans for that ?
No, using the same mechanical pump. I had gone through the elaborate procedure of fixing an additional return line and welding it into the fuel tank. Rather I plan to feed the return line in parallel with the fuel pump's inlet line using a T-joint. I had mentioned this plan of mine in one of the previous posts. So far havent gone any comments for or against this method. So I am going ahead in this direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Just curious on how much you spent on the adaptor, let us know if you are okay with it.
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it already. Costed Rs 600/- for material + labour (machined on a CNC milling machine) + courier from Chennai.

Last edited by ilangop : 29th January 2010 at 13:54.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:48   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it already. Costed Rs 600/- for material + labour (machined on a CNC milling machine) + courier from Chennai.
Thank you for the information
Old 29th January 2010, 18:20   #369
BHPian

Hi Ilangop,
The adapter has turned out to be very neat. Try to get the insides of the adapter roughened in order to dissuade the air fuel mixture from condensing on the walls of the adapter. The same finish as that on the inside of the manifold should do the trick. This should especially help when the secondary venturi circuit comes into action since the restriction between the manifold side and the second venturi side is phenomenally more than desirable.

Quote:
No, using the same mechanical pump. I had gone through the elaborate procedure of fixing an additional return line and welding it into the fuel tank. Rather I plan to feed the return line in parallel with the fuel pump's inlet line using a T-joint. I had mentioned this plan of mine in one of the previous posts. So far havent gone any comments for or against this method. So I am going ahead in this direction.

If you fix the fuel return line in the above said way, it would have negative pressure (ie positive suction) on the carburetor side of the fuel return line. This will not allow the carburettor barrel to fill completely and will cause the engine to starve at high load operation conditions. Hence, the fuel return line should have no suction at all. Hence please follow the procedure given on page 1 of this thread.

Regarding the Maruti 800 air cleaner, lets hope it doesn't foul with the bonnet since the clearance between the bonnet lid and the standard aircleaner ( Premier Dry type) is very less.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 29th January 2010 at 18:24.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:19   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW i doubt if i can procure that part even from scrap dealers as they will not sell it individually without the wiper motor and of course the spare parts shops will be a waste of time.In case (my luck) i find more than one, does anyone needs it or is there any other thing which anyone requires as i would be off to the scrapyard in a few days. We can work out the shipping thing later.
Hi,

I just got the Switch for you from my recent visit to the scrapyard. 3 PP were brokendown, plus there were dozens of wiper motor from earlier broken dowm ones. Here you go with pics, do let me know if you still need it.

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc05999.jpg
Old 31st January 2010, 09:45   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hi,

I just got the Switch for you from my recent visit to the scrapyard. 3 PP were brokendown, plus there were dozens of wiper motor from earlier broken dowm ones. Here you go with pics, do let me know if you still need it.

Attachment 277883
I have PMed you. Please have a look at it.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:15   #372
Senior - BHPian

As manish sorted out my problem of park switch, i was thinking if anyone (especially bangalore guys) has a spare FIAT monogram like the one in attached pic. I am ready to pay for it as i need one for my car. Irrespective of whether it has good paint or chrome it should be in a decent condition as i would be putting it on my car after getting it painted. If anyone has it please PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-sdc10970.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 31st January 2010 at 13:18.
Old 31st January 2010, 20:15   #373
BHPian

Carb tuning

Dear All;
Can anyone tell me tightening of mixture control screw on solex carburetor richens the mixture or makes it leaner?
Old 31st January 2010, 20:45   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
Dear All;
Can anyone tell me tightening of mixture control screw on solex carburetor richens the mixture or makes it leaner?
Tightening the mixture control screw will lean the mixture while opening it with richen the mixture. Do remember to set this screw at idling rpm only.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:35   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Hi Ilangop,
The adapter has turned out to be very neat. Try to get the insides of the adapter roughened in order to dissuade the air fuel mixture from condensing on the walls of the adapter. The same finish as that on the inside of the manifold should do the trick. This should especially help when the secondary venturi circuit comes into action since the restriction between the manifold side and the second venturi side is phenomenally more than desirable.

If you fix the fuel return line in the above said way, it would have negative pressure (ie positive suction) on the carburetor side of the fuel return line. This will not allow the carburettor barrel to fill completely and will cause the engine to starve at high load operation conditions. Hence, the fuel return line should have no suction at all. Hence please follow the procedure given on page 1 of this thread.

Regarding the Maruti 800 air cleaner, lets hope it doesn't foul with the bonnet since the clearance between the bonnet lid and the standard aircleaner ( Premier Dry type) is very less.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Thank you Adheesh for your suggestions and comments. Yesterday we made a trial to position the Mikuni carb in place and the fitment was quite good. We found that there was 60mm height available from the upper tip of the carb to the inner side of the bonnet. Would you be able to guess if this height would suffice to accomodate a M-800 filter.
We will be looking around for a second hand carb in the scrap market in a day or 2, so that we will be able to take up the job by the coming weekend.
From your explanation I understand the importance why the fuel has to be returned to the fuel tank. Considering the cost and the labour involved in this process, I am thinking of this alternative. The older NEs with a carburettor with no return, there used to be a pressure relief valve. 2 schematics have been attached here for your comments and advice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PRV.pdf (9.4 KB, 465 views)

Most Viewed