Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:25   #481
Senior - BHPian

Help needed urgently

Tomorrow my mechanic will be removing my Padmini's engine head. One of the threading on the head where spark plug fits is worn out.

What are the other works that can be done with the head? Like shaving it?
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:30   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Help needed urgently

Tomorrow my mechanic will be removing my Padmini's engine head. One of the threading on the head where spark plug fits is worn out.

Do help Arun with this regard. What are the things that we could do proactively since we are anyway removing the head?

Also, what would be the correct procedure to follow at the late to get the threading done?

The information is very critical for us since we need to ready the car for Fitness Certificate this week.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:40   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help needed urgently

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Do help Arun with this regard. What are the things that we could do proactively since we are anyway removing the head?
Thanks to Ilango, Prabhuv and Karthik for giving solution to my problem over phone.

HEAD work is in progress.

I will post pics and detailed report tomorrow.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:04   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Ilango, Prabhuv and Karthik for giving solution to my problem over phone.

HEAD work is in progress.

I will post pics and detailed report tomorrow.
Normally we put threaded inserts for such a situation. How ever I am not sure whether the same will hold up against the compression from the cylinder. Would like to know what suggestions enlighted members gave you?

As for the temperature gauge query posted by sagar. there are two types of gauges 1. Electrical and 2 Bourdon tube type (the one you have).

I quote the working of the second one from google

"The Bourdon Tube

A Bourdon Tube is a thin metal - usually brass or copper - tube that is filled with an easily vaporized fluid, typically alcohol. It is sealed at both ends. At the gauge end it is formed into a circle or spiral with its end attached to the indicating needle by some form of linkage. The other end is fitted to a water-tight connector that is in direct contact with the coolant in the engine.
As the coolant warms up the alcohol in the Bourdon tube expands. The expansion transfers its force to the coiled end of the tube inside the gauge. As the coil or spiral unwinds it pulls the linkage on the needle, which in turn shows a temperature reading on the gauge face. The gauges are calibrated during the manufacturing stage and are not adjustable afterward. "

So we can see if the wire / tube is broken it cannot be joined simply

And for Information the Water temperature Gauge on the Select & Superselect is the Electrical type which works in principle of variable resistance.

Last edited by manishalive : 4th March 2010 at 16:13.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:13   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Normally we put threaded inserts for such a situation. How ever I am not sure whether the same will hold up against the compression from the cylinder. Would like to know what suggestions enlighted members gave you?
We tried the same.. But the spark plug was suddenly popping out while driving.

Removed the head in the morning. Lathe work is going on.

Will give detailed technical explanation tomorrow.
Old 4th March 2010, 19:41   #486
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manish for the information regarding the Temp gauge. The wire which i have is of Brass with thin steel wire casing. I think the new piece is not available in the market so will have to settle with either a used old meter from scrap or converting the Bourdon tube type to electrical type. Though i will not be able to use it on a president model.

Manish If i get an old type meter in scrapyard i will ship you the console of this meter with toggle switches as i will be using this meter for parts.
Old 4th March 2010, 22:05   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks Manish for the information regarding the Temp gauge. The wire which i have is of Brass with thin steel wire casing. I think the new piece is not available in the market so will have to settle with either a used old meter from scrap or converting the Bourdon tube type to electrical type. Though i will not be able to use it on a president model.

Manish If i get an old type meter in scrapyard i will ship you the console of this meter with toggle switches as i will be using this meter for parts.
Converting to either type of gauges is fairly straight forward, just need to put some adaptor for the sensor in the engine compartment. For the electrical type you also need to give 12v suply to the meter.

My pleasure. I would love to recieve the intact bakelite cover .
Old 6th March 2010, 17:37   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help needed urgently

This is how my Engine's HEAD looked like before repair.

I will post the repaired HEAD pics later.

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0131.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0132.jpg
Old 6th March 2010, 18:15   #489
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody state which model fiat ashtray is it and where does it fits. Does it fits in centre behind the front seat backrest of old fiat or on the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0136.jpg  

Old 6th March 2010, 21:46   #490
Senior - BHPian

Coolant for the car, advice requested

Now it summer time guys, lets talk abuout the Coolant for the babies.

My car is still running on water in radiator and my mech adviced me to put coolant in it. In this case

What should be done before putting the coolant (radiator related)

Which one should i put and whats the proportion of coolant and can just the plain water can be mixed.

which brand or calibration (as in Oils) if there are to be put.

Advice requested.

Bala
Old 6th March 2010, 22:09   #491
Senior - BHPian

My car is running on coolant for the last 7 months. I used the MAK redicool one. Its a diluted mixture of coolant that doesn't needs adding mineral water. My car's radiator drank around 2.4 ltrs of this.
As for the initial cleaning, pour some water or just add powdered cleaning soap and let it there for 2 hrs before flushing out the whole radiator. pour some fresh water and again flush it. Then add the coolant, if concentrated one use 1/4 ratio of coolant and water. If its redicool or ready for use then pour till it gets to the 3/4th mark of degass tank. Run the engine for 2 minutes and then again pour in some more till it reaches 3/4 mark as level of coolant will drop when engine sucks the liquid. If its open type radiator then pour till the neck of pipe.
Please note to use only mineral or if possible distilled water in order to avoid the hard water deposits to accumulate inside radiator pipes.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:18   #492
Senior - BHPian

Ah! well thats a lightning answer. Mine is a open type radiator with no de gassing tank. I will do the same whats been told.

Whats the benifit of coolant and how does it help engine to remain cool than the water. Were the coolants there in those days and how was it dealt then.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:22   #493
Senior - BHPian

Bala,
I too am facing the same problem with my Padmini. The car heats up in 10mins!! Because of the radiator water, my engine's head was also screwed.

Now i bought the coolant bottle of OMNI and will get it fixed near the radiator. Lets see how much coolant helps!
Old 6th March 2010, 22:34   #494
Senior - BHPian

The basic purpose of coolant is to keep the engine cool. It decreases the freezing temperature and increases the boiling point of water which in turn helps the car to run cool. It also protects the inner of the radiator free from rust and grime/rust flakes.
The closed type radiator which is complemented by a degass tank is more effective than a direct open type. So getting the open type converted to a closed type doesn't cost much as one can fit a S1 degass tank and close the mounting/mouth of the radiator routing the pipes from it. This type of system helps in cosiderably cooling the car faster thereby eliminating the wastage of coolant. A simple yet effective solution to prevent blowing the head gasket.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:40   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
A simple yet effective solution to prevent blowing the head gasket.
@Samsag12 well said

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks