Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 15:08   #1561
BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

If the spark plug sparks when you earth it and crank, then you need to remove the air filter, "palm" the carb air intake a couple of times when cranking to cause vacuum variations and car will start up.
Old 27th October 2016, 21:01   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
then it should be issue with some electricals.
It was. The wire going from the ignition coil and into the wiring harness channel, inside the front fender had snapped or had been chewed off by a rodent. Hard to say which as the wire is also really old. The mechanic refitted the wire to the fuse box that seems to come behind the glove box.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:16   #1563
BHPian

Hi,
can someeone please help me with the tuning process of the padmini carb. I am not talking about the S1 carb here..
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:11   #1564
Senior - BHPian

I can use some help with this problem.

I was out and it started raining. I turned on the wipers, it moved a little and went dead. Along with it, it took out the indicators too. They don't work. Headlights are working. This problem also resulted in the IGN lamp and meter console back light coming on intermittently. At first I thought I was draining the battery but that isn't so.

The car needs a electrical over haul. The more and more I use the car, new problems start surfacing.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd November 2016 at 10:13.
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:29   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I can use some help with this problem.

I was out and it started raining. I turned on the wipers, it moved a little and went dead. Along with it, it took out the indicators too. They don't work. Headlights are working. This problem also resulted in the IGN lamp and meter console back light coming on intermittently. At first I thought I was draining the battery but that isn't so.

The car needs a electrical over haul. The more and more I use the car, new problems start surfacing.
If you havent used your wipers in a while, the motor tends to lock up. This will cause an additional load on the electrical system and fuses may blow.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:43   #1566
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

IIRC, your FIAT is a Delight right. That means over 4 decades old. Issues are obvious to come and that's how life with a classic car is..

However, I would suggest you to take up complete mechanical and electrical restoration in the below phases.

Mechanical restoration:
1. Get a compression test done and ensure no major engine component issues. If any issues, fix this.

2. Check for engine mounts, timing chain, water pump, radiator, hose pipes, air filter and other such wear n tear components.

3. Clean the carburetor jets and change the packing.

4. Check the spark plugs, coil, delco, points n condensers, started motor, dynamo/ alternator and all wiring harness.

5. Replace all plug wires with good quality ones.

6. Get the suspension bushes changed, check for the spiders, shock absorbers and the rear bushes and leaf springs. Wheel alignment and balancing too.

7. Get the brakes pads, brake cylinders, change the cylinder kits, check the brake master cylinder and change it's rubber components. Drain and refill the brake oil.

8. Check the exhaust system.

9. Change the lubricants - engine n filter, gear box, differential.

Electrical works:
1. Check the working of the meters - Speedo, odo, temp, fuel.

2. Check if all the functions of the combination switch are working.

3. Check the relays of headlights and horns.

4. Check the fuse box.

5. Check if all other lights are working.

6. Check the wiper motor and replace the wiper blade and arms.

Body rubber and mechanical parts:
1. Check and replace the door edge beading.

2. Check all the wear n tear components of the door locks and window winding system.

3. Check the windshield beadings.

4. Door setting.

Body and floor work:
This is a difficult task. Check the floor, wheel wells, chassis cross member and the body panels.

If you do all the above work, then you might be able to drive in peace with minimal maintenance work.
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:27   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
If you havent used your wipers in a while, the motor tends to lock up. This will cause an additional load on the electrical system and fuses may blow.
Yes; it has been a while the wipers were used. I will check the fuse box and replace the blown fuse. However; how do I get the wiper motor to work again without blowing a fuse or will it self correct? Right now, the wiper blade is upright. Need to get it back to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
However, I would suggest you to take up complete mechanical and electrical restoration in the below phases.
Karthik; I appreciate the time taken to list the things I must attend to and I will do them slowly. For the most part, the car runs great. The car survived a 350km journey with a ghat section in between, without a problem. There are a couple of reasons I am holding off on doing anything to the car at the moment. One is funds cause a restoration is going to cost me a lot and the other is the lack of reliable, honest mechanic/garage. I have yet to identify a garage that can help me. For now, its Bosch-Hoodi and I go there for general maintenance of the car. I got the brakes completely over hauled from them and they did a great job. However; they are not good for everything on a car like this.
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:06   #1568
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
However; they are not good for everything on a car like this.
I would request autocrat to guide you on the right garage, who work on such Classics.
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:24   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
This will cause an additional load on the electrical system and fuses may blow.
It was a blown fuse and the fuse was nothing but a copper wire. It was the first fuse point on the right of the fuse box. In fact, all the fuses are a thin strand of copper wire. Need to put in the original glass tube fuses. Anyway; I replaced the burnt one with another thin strand of copper wire and the console lights up and the indicators work but no life from the wiper motor. I suspect the switch. Any leads?

I visited nearly a dozen electrical shops to look for fuse wire as I don't have the originals but looks like they no longer make them.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd November 2016 at 08:41.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:58   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
It was a blown fuse and the fuse was nothing but a copper wire. It was the first fuse point on the right of the fuse box. In fact, all the fuses are a thin strand of copper wire. Need to put in the original glass tube fuses. Anyway; I replaced the burnt one with another thin strand of copper wire and the console lights up and the indicators work but no life from the wiper motor. I suspect the switch. Any leads?

I visited nearly a dozen electrical shops to look for fuse wire as I don't have the originals but looks like they no longer make them.
Kripakar Rao of Jadsons Automobiles off J C road has some bullet and glass fuses in stock. Be the early bird
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 07:33   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Kripakar Rao of Jadsons Automobiles off J C road has some bullet and glass fuses in stock.
Went to JC Road on Saturday and Jadsons was shut. Apparently they don't open on Saturdays! Went back to Best Auto Mobiles and picked up the plastic stub fuses. They have only 8 amps though. Would you be able to guide me on the fuse ratings? The labelling on the fuse box is a little confusing. It suggests 15amps to 56 amps, if I am reading it right.

I also picked up the points rotor brush, coolant, radiator hoses and clamps as spares.

Where can I source the wind shield washer assembly. It is a little rubber plunger, rubber hoses (Easily available) and the plastic reservoir bag that sits inside the hood. Not that I really need it but it will be nice if it is functional.

I got the differential pinion oil seal replaced. It was leaking for the last couple of months. The main seal was all right according to the Bosch mechanics. They serviced the wiper motor too. Dismantled it and basically serviced the internals. The wiper works great now.

Carried out some simple DIY fixes such as replacing the frayed negative battery wire and a rubber gasket around the headlamp chrome ring. My boot lock was not working so went and bought a new one. Turns out, it was not the fault of the lock at all. It was the inner ring rotating on its own axis causing it not to lock. I am unable to figure this out. If you are gentle with the boot lever, then it gives one the impression that it is locked. A little pressure and the handle just turns with the inner ring turning as well. This is why it isn't locking, I did not replace the rubber washer. I took it off the old one as it seemed all right. Besides; Best Auto did not have it.

Some left over Motomax polish was lying around so I spent last evening polishing the boot lid, bonnet and roof of the car. The repaint job is very poor quality so I could not get the results I wanted but still, looks better than no shine at all.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th November 2016 at 07:38.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 01:32   #1572
BHPian

Hi sandeep
Mr kripakar Rao of Jadsons automobiles is a senior person and has considerable amount of spares but opens his shop for very limited hours and usually closes by 5:30 PM.
I have usually seen fuses rated between 10 to 35 amps and not aware of 56 amps.
The windshield washer you are referring to is very hard to find . I found one with a person who had stocked spares for old vehicles for my fiat super select but it is not functioning though
Wish you all the success in the upkeep of your Fiat.
ARUN.V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 10:25   #1573
BHPian

Quote:

Where can I source the wind shield washer assembly. It is a little rubber plunger, rubber hoses (Easily available) and the plastic reservoir bag that sits inside the hood. Not that I really need it but it will be nice if it is functional.
You can try www.mrfiat.com for the windshield washer bag. For availability in India, I have doubt if any one would have that in stock.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 13:58   #1574
BHPian

I am in Mumbai for the week, unfortunately work was super hectic and could not meet anyone. Got up early to go for a short walk in Dadar Parsi Colony, just stood by Behram Sir's home and thanked him for whatever he shared with us.
autocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 18:06   #1575
Senior - BHPian

My fuel tank has developed multiple leaks and its not worth welding it. Is there any place where I can procure a new/used petrol tank? If I do find one, what kind of money should I be paying. I am going to try the gujlee in Shivajinagar tomorrow. I called up Best Automobiles on JC Road and they don't have a spare tank.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th December 2016 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks