Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 08:28   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Do you folks know of any place where I can source a windscreen washer unit? This is for a 72 Fiat 1100D. The water bag and plunger is what is needed. I guess hoses/pipes can be something generic. Will be grateful if you can help me source one and if you can ship too. Am aware this is something hard to find.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:17   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Do you folks know of any place where I can source a windscreen washer unit? This is for a 72 Fiat 1100D. The water bag and plunger is what is needed. I guess hoses/pipes can be something generic. Will be grateful if you can help me source one and if you can ship too. Am aware this is something hard to find.
Check below link
http://mrfiat.com/italian/fiat/fiat-...wiper-bag.html
You can buy a blood transfusion kit and use those PU pipes that come with it for routing to the water jets.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 11:49   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Trying to sort out a over charging issue on my 72' Fiat, now in use by FM Tharian.

Turns out the battery started to deform as a result of over current being fed back. As high as 16 volts!
If you want to stick to the Dynamo, you may install a voltmeter and keep a check on the system voltage. Anything above 15V for a long duration of time is not Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Its located in the corner (driver side) of the firewall. It is literally a black box. Do not try to get it adjusted / repaired. Replace with a Lucas TVS cutout if you can find NOS.

Something with the dynamo / cut out typically fails every 30,000 km (in my experience). I eventually replaced the dynamo + cut out on my '73 with a rebuilt alternator from a M800 after 3-4 repairs between 1990-2000.
It is the carbon brush that needs attention / replacement at regular intervals. Its a cheap part but availability might be a problem. Yes, a Maruti 800 alternator can restore peace of mind.

Last edited by ilangop : 5th February 2019 at 11:51.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 02:53   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You can buy a blood transfusion kit and use those PU pipes that come with it for routing to the water jets.
I did think of this as a cheaper alternative but need to figure out a way to pump the water.
Also; do you know how to reach the mounting of the hoses to the spray nozzles? I am pretty sure the pipes will have to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
If you want to stick to the Dynamo, you may install a voltmeter and keep a check on the system voltage.
How would one wire this up? Is it just a feed off the battery terminals?
Do you get this sort of thing at a car spare parts outlet?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th February 2019 at 02:58.
Old 7th February 2019, 11:03   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
I did think of this as a cheaper alternative but need to figure out a way to pump the water.
Also; do you know how to reach the mounting of the hoses to the spray nozzles? I am pretty sure the pipes will have to be replaced.
The plunger pump is also available on the same website albeit for another model, I guess, FIAT 850. But it can fit in the 1100.
As its been long since I sold our Premier Safari, I cannot remember how to route the lines to the jets. In my 118NE, it is pretty simple due to the open gutter design.
Old 8th February 2019, 09:28   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
The spray nozzles can be reached from inside the cabin. To route the hose you may easily able to find a free hole in the firewall or there is a small gap between the fire wall and fender on both the sides. You can route the hose through this passage too.

Quote:
How would one wire this up? Is it just a feed off the battery terminals?
Do you get this sort of thing at a car spare parts outlet?
This is the kind of simple voltmeter / clock / cabin temperature thermometer / calendar I got in my car.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KROA...2e384c4dMAD3Eq
You may wire it directly to the battery terminals, doesn't harm as it consumes very very less current. Or to the 12V terminal of indicator flasher where you get 12V upon Key ON.
There are plenty available over amazon.in and flipkart.com too. Just type car voltmeter to search for this stuff.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 21:39   #1642

MRH 3504 is a Premier President car and not a Delight.Original Bombay registration and I own it.
Ajit Kanbur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 11:06   #1643
BHPian

Hi guys, I have some queries and I hope someone can help me out.

So my 1986 Padmini about 2 weeks did a Mumbai to Surat run successfully. It didn't have any problems and drove perfectly fine and my mechanic was able to cover a distance of 300 kms within 7 -8 hours at roughly a speed of 60-80 that also in rain.

I drove the car in Surat for short spins of 2-3 kms in these 2 weeks but I used to start it everyday sometimes even twice and let it idle for a good 10-15 mins.

Last night the car refused to start, it took self but engine didn't turn over, I let it be after trying a few times.

In the morning I tried again but still it wouldn't turn over, I let it be again.

After an hour I tried to start it again, it started, I raced it a little, let it idle for 10-15 then I went for a 2-3 kms spin and came back and I raced it a little bit but the moment I left the accelerator it switched off on its own.

I spoke to my mechanic in Mumbai he told me to start the car after switching off the electric fuel pump that we have in the car, but it didn't start rather it started only with it being on auto.

Now the car doesn't even take self. So I have let it rest.

My mechanic told me it could be loose wiring on the ignition, or battery or fuel pump. I am wondering what the issue is ?

Hope somebody can help me out. Thanks .
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 08:46   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajit Kanbur View Post
MRH 3504 is a Premier President car and not a Delight.Original Bombay registration and I own it.
Aye yes. Was a really sweet car and was offered to me for sale around 2014.
Old 8th August 2019, 10:48   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Hi guys, I have some queries and I hope someone can help me out.

So my 1986 Padmini about 2 weeks did a Mumbai to Surat run successfully. It didn't have any problems and drove perfectly fine and my mechanic was able to cover a distance of 300 kms within 7 -8 hours at roughly a speed of 60-80 that also in rain.

I drove the car in Surat for short spins of 2-3 kms in these 2 weeks but I used to start it everyday sometimes even twice and let it idle for a good 10-15 mins.

Last night the car refused to start, it took self but engine didn't turn over, I let it be after trying a few times.

In the morning I tried again but still it wouldn't turn over, I let it be again.

After an hour I tried to start it again, it started, I raced it a little, let it idle for 10-15 then I went for a 2-3 kms spin and came back and I raced it a little bit but the moment I left the accelerator it switched off on its own.

I spoke to my mechanic in Mumbai he told me to start the car after switching off the electric fuel pump that we have in the car, but it didn't start rather it started only with it being on auto.

Now the car doesn't even take self. So I have let it rest.

My mechanic told me it could be loose wiring on the ignition, or battery or fuel pump. I am wondering what the issue is ?

Hope somebody can help me out. Thanks .
Intermittent performance and starting problems could point to a faulty condensor and contact points. Change both first and then get back with the results
Old 8th August 2019, 19:28   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Intermittent performance and starting problems could point to a faulty condensor and contact points. Change both first and then get back with the results

Have changed Point condenser about 6 months ago but have called for a new one and which contact points are you referring to ?

Car takes self but engine doesn't turn over. Think it's problem with fuel pump ?
Old 16th September 2019, 20:53   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Have changed Point condenser about 6 months ago but have called for a new one and which contact points are you referring to ?

Car takes self but engine doesn't turn over. Think it's problem with fuel pump ?

Next time the car doesn't start, just check if fuel is reaching the carb when electric fuel pump is on. If it is reaching fine then mostly likely your problem is with the ignition (points or condenser).
Old 17th September 2019, 12:14   #1648
BHPian

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Next time the car doesn't start, just check if fuel is reaching the carb when electric fuel pump is on. If it is reaching fine then mostly likely your problem is with the ignition (points or condenser).

So please read till the end so you would realise the entire picture and then you can help me out .

So when the problem started the car was cranking but the engine wasn't turning over, after 3-4 days we realised the battery was going flat so we pulled the battery cord and let it be. Due to this the car had a flat battery when we reconnected after a week. On reconnection with a new battery the engine immediately turned over like nothing had happened which was surprising. The mechanic took the battery and got it charged, then he tuned up the engine for slightly faster tuning as he felt the need for it. He said the point condenser needs to be rubbed with a carbon paper which he did.

Due to rains and parking issues I cannot take it out daily but I do make it a point to start it daily and let it idle for about 5-10 mins. After a week or so I took it out, car ran for 5 kms and then I returned and it went off again, engine didn't turn over again so I let it be for a few mins, after 5 mins it turned over and I reversed and parked it in its spot. After sometime took it out for another 2 kms spin and on the way it went off while at a U turn, had to push and jump start it in the 2nd gear, afterwards brought it back and tried to reverse but again it went off after which the engine didn't turn over again even after letting the engine cool off. Had to call the mechanic as we had to push the car into the parking spot, he came and said there was kachra in carburettor, he blew thru it and removed it and the engine turned over. Now have to fill up engine oil as it's showing low and take it out for a longer drive.

Longer drive keeps me worried as I prefer to do it in the wee hours in the morning or late at night so that the roads are empty but if it goes off then it's a headache to sort out.

Kindly advice.

Last edited by M00M : 17th September 2019 at 12:16.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:18   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

An image of a Delight being completed on the assembly line. This is good reference for restoration, note the colour of the coil, air cleaner, oil filter, dynamo, timing chain shield etc. Note also the single inspection light.

Name:  d01.png
Views: 1303
Size:  1.11 MB
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 21:31   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
So please read till the end so you would realise the entire picture and then you can help me out .

So when the problem started the car was cranking but the engine wasn't turning over, after 3-4 days we realised the battery was going flat so we pulled the battery cord and let it be. Due to this the car had a flat battery when we reconnected after a week. On reconnection with a new battery the engine immediately turned over like nothing had happened which was surprising. The mechanic took the battery and got it charged, then he tuned up the engine for slightly faster tuning as he felt the need for it. He said the point condenser needs to be rubbed with a carbon paper which he did.

Due to rains and parking issues I cannot take it out daily but I do make it a point to start it daily and let it idle for about 5-10 mins. After a week or so I took it out, car ran for 5 kms and then I returned and it went off again, engine didn't turn over again so I let it be for a few mins, after 5 mins it turned over and I reversed and parked it in its spot. After sometime took it out for another 2 kms spin and on the way it went off while at a U turn, had to push and jump start it in the 2nd gear, afterwards brought it back and tried to reverse but again it went off after which the engine didn't turn over again even after letting the engine cool off. Had to call the mechanic as we had to push the car into the parking spot, he came and said there was kachra in carburettor, he blew thru it and removed it and the engine turned over. Now have to fill up engine oil as it's showing low and take it out for a longer drive.

Longer drive keeps me worried as I prefer to do it in the wee hours in the morning or late at night so that the roads are empty but if it goes off then it's a headache to sort out.

Kindly advice.
It could be that the battery is getting discharged due to a leak. Some wire might be cut and discharging the battery. Can you try (if possible) to jump start the car when it doesnt turn over - is it the click sound and thats it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks