Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:28   #1
BHPian

Austin Princess

Here are two pictures of an Austin Princess. I took these a couple of months ago at a very good friend's wedding. The car belongs to the Tata stable in Jamshedpur and was loaned for the happy occassion. I do not know the vintage for sure. Any additional details would be nice to catalogue here.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Princess-img_0320.jpg  

Austin Princess-img_0321.jpg  

vcash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:58   #2

MRZ is a 1965 registration isnt it? And it is a bombay car. How nice. Very good pictures of the princess.
Old 4th June 2008, 02:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh My God!!Wow!!
Thats a 61-62 Austin Princess. Is it a LWB? if yes than it should have coachwork from Vanden Plas.
I had a similar car with centre partition glass and hydraulic jacks etc. etc. The car is now finished. Dont ask how but it is. This car should have an all Aluminum body on a wooden frame and should sport a Straight six engine. The only thing remaining from my car now is the engine and gearbox.
It was called the poor mans Rolls Royce.
Old 4th June 2008, 02:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oh My God!!Wow!!
Thats a 61-62 Austin Princess. Is it a LWB? if yes than it should have coachwork from Vanden Plas.
I had a similar car with centre partition glass and hydraulic jacks etc. etc. The car is now finished. Dont ask how but it is. This car should have an all Aluminum body on a wooden frame and should sport a Straight six engine. The only thing remaining from my car now is the engine and gearbox.
I didnt know that!! What happened? And gogi bhai, MRZ is a 65 right?
Old 4th June 2008, 02:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I didnt know that!! What happened? And gogi bhai, MRZ is a 65 right?
Dont ask its a long Dukhbhari Story. Will tell you when i meet you.
re the MRZ thing, thats more Karl RTO-walla's domain but it is early to mid sixties.
Old 4th June 2008, 08:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
re the MRZ thing, thats more Karl RTO-walla's domain but it is early to mid sixties.
Yup, MRZ would indeed be 65 if Im right.
Old 4th June 2008, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Oh My God!!Wow!!
Hey Gogi Bhai,
I think it is a LWB as it had a center partition glass. I am surprised that this is a 60's model. The design language dictates it to be of a much earlier vintage. When I am in Jamshedpur in two weeks to check up on the W110, I will see if I can get detailed pictures. Who knows - it may serve as inspiration for you to restore another masterpiece in your stable. Jamshedpur has always been an interesting palce for classics as most of the Tata and associated companies had very nicely maintained fleets with dedicated garages and staff of mechanics.

I was talking to Ishan about some rare cars that were with these companies and might still be in the town garages. I am going to see if I can go to the garage pools of the companies and spot them and obtain more information.

1) W105 219 - This was sold for 30K in the 80's. It should be in Pune now.

2) Mercury Cougar - I would think there are very few muscle cars like these in India.

3) W123 Coupe - 280CE - This may still be in Jamshedpur. The car was driven by an ex MD of Tata Steel.

4) W123 sedan - 300 Diesel - Was driven by the same MD of Tata Steel but met it's early demise when the chauffer was gunning it down and empty street, lost control and hit a tree. The car split in two.

5) BMW E28 524td - This is still in Jamshedpur. Was drivin by the same ex MD and was a replacement for the 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
MRZ is a 1965 registration isnt it? And it is a bombay car. How nice. Very good pictures of the princess.
Great information on the registration. I need to track down the history of this one but Bombay makes logical sense since it belongs to the Tata's and probably came down from Bombay House to Jamshedpur.

P.S. Would the mods be kind enough to change the year on the thread's title. It should read 1960's instead of 194X.

Last edited by vcash : 4th June 2008 at 10:46.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow she's an absolute beauty. One look and you know she's as British as the Queen !!
Gogi and Karl, you guys are powerhouses of information, hats off to you !
Old 4th June 2008, 12:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Jamshedpur has always been an interesting palce for classics as most of the Tata and associated companies had very nicely maintained fleets with dedicated garages and staff of mechanics.
Unfortunately they are auctioning off many valuable cars which apparenly have been standing for a while. Recently a 38 Buick, 47 and 51 Chevy, 47 Ford Ambulance, Hudson, early Mercedes Ponton, 56 Plymouth and Studebaker were auctioned off for ridiculously high amounts of money. They were remarkably well presreved and intact though. Im told more will be up for grabs soon.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:07   #10
BHPian

Hi Gogi bhai,

Glad to know about another Austin Princess with you, please write us
about your restoration experience and details pictures. We appreciate
and thank you if you share with us. In fact I wish to see all Austin owners experience and other details about Austin cars presently survive
in India.

Regards,
Old 4th June 2008, 13:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had a similar car with centre partition glass and hydraulic jacks etc. etc. The car is now finished. Dont ask how but it is. The only thing remaining from my car now is the engine and gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Gogi bhai,

Glad to know about another Austin Princess with you, please write us
about your restoration experience and details pictures.
Hey vintagepoint.

Sir Gogesh Singh meant to say his car is finished. As in ruined and not restorable.

Not finished as in completed.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hey vintagepoint.

Sir Gogesh Singh meant to say his car is finished. As in ruined and not restorable.

Sam on a classics thread!! I thought he was giving a witty retort at something as usual..And how right i was. Gogis new name-Sir Gogesh Singh.

@Karl- What else is up for grabs?
Old 4th June 2008, 13:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hey vintagepoint.

Thanks for the help Sam.
Yes guys thats exactly what I meant. Due to me giving the restoration work to someone and then those guys falling off and then Me and my car suffering and at last the demise of my beautiful car.
It was like this, the car totally rusted was gifted to me by Maharaja of **** under strict secrecy (hence I do not reveal his name) due to some family politics as he saw my love fro old cars. I spent too much time and money at least 15 years ago on restoring this car. This was actually my first project. With no one to help me, it was my first attempt at such a job and looked easy. The body and frame i managed to get done. Since the car needed all the other trims a trip to London would be due. I ordered the manual of the car (still lying with me) and some other stuff. Due to some problems between the restorers finally my car was junked and its history now. I still have the drive train with me as i had made the effort to get it back. I have no photos nor any other stuff as i did not have the presence of mind to take pics then.
I hate this but the car is no more guys. If anyone needs info or help in restoration I can gladly help.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:54   #14

Just spotted something wierd. Look how similar the guards look to FIAT guards. And even the Bumpers. Look how similar they look.
Old 4th June 2008, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sam - Sir Gogeshwar Singh is a more appropriate name IMO!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks