Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 05:27   #61
BHPian

Pacer Yamaha, Infantry Road, B'lore buy old lamby's and vespa's and restore them to very cute color combos. I once enquired and they said they are for the export market. Does any one have a clue as to what these guys are upto.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:30   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Pacer Yamaha, Infantry Road, B'lore buy old lamby's and vespa's and restore them to very cute color combos. I once enquired and they said they are for the export market. Does any one have a clue as to what these guys are upto.
I'm surprised if you arent aware of this as yet!

Its an open secret that Lambrettas and Vespas have been in demand overseas and exported in shiploads! Isnt this a more than enough hint as to why their prices have (unfortunately for us!) gone up so much in recent years?
Old 12th November 2008, 11:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

They is a huge market for restored Lambys and vespas in Thailand,Indonesia.The colour combos are becoming a sort of a Lifestyle accessories.And everyone wants a Vespa or a Lamby.
I too enquired Pacer Yamaha as i wanted to buy a year back and they declined.I approached Madaan Motors in New Delhi and they were willing,but never heard after a few calls and emails.
Finally I scouted in Hyderabad and laid hands on a 1961 Lambretta and 1964 Vespa 150 in very good condition.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:07   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Finally I scouted in Hyderabad and laid hands on a 1961 Lambretta and 1964 Vespa 150 in very good condition.
Speaking of which, how is your lambretta doing? Any plans to carry out any other work required on it?
And btw, I'd enquired for the legshield badge from the Khaneja auto parts you'd told me about but no response from them?
Old 12th November 2008, 23:29   #65
BHPian

thanks Stanher, i was not aware of the same. what a waste there was a lamby lying in my house unused for more than a decade and finally my servant took it and went to his home town, now i realize the importance.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:20   #66
BHPian

Although I am totally against these dealers sending these scooters out, I see one thing good that came out of it. It increased the demand for these scooters locally. All these years, we just ignored them, scraped them, and wasted them. I guess this was a good wake up call. I'm sure if tomorrow if there is a demand for the older Scootys, all of us would run and buy it or curse why we let our old one rot.

Cheers
Old 13th November 2008, 20:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
They is a huge market for restored Lambys and vespas in Thailand,Indonesia.The colour combos are becoming a sort of a Lifestyle accessories.And everyone wants a Vespa or a Lamby.
I too enquired Pacer Yamaha as i wanted to buy a year back and they declined.I approached Madaan Motors in New Delhi and they were willing,but never heard after a few calls and emails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Although I am totally against these dealers sending these scooters out, I see one thing good that came out of it. It increased the demand for these scooters locally. All these years, we just ignored them, scraped them, and wasted them. I guess this was a good wake up call. I'm sure if tomorrow if there is a demand for the older Scootys, all of us would run and buy it or curse why we let our old one rot.

Cheers
I agree. Lambrettas and Vijays too are even being exported to the UK.
The Vijays are rebadged and sold as ' Indian GP 150' s.
In fact after seeing quite a few moded Lambretta GPs in the UK,
my next project after the '58 Lambretta Series 1, for 2009 , is going to be a Vijay aka Lambretta GP150. I am looking out for a fairly unbattered original Vijay super which Im sure I will get shortly.
Old 14th November 2008, 13:30   #68
BHPian

Found 20 Lambrettas On A Roof Top!

HI!

Just found 20 Lambrettas on a NCR roof top - I am now thinking of investing in a chopper to go vintage car / bike scouting at this rate!

None for sale as of now. All restoration projects. Single Owner. All models and mix available.

Will post pics shortly. What a sight!

The owner is against Lambretta exports hence is buying whatever he can lay his hands on - now thats a true Indian!

Also available - ONLY A FRAME AND ENGINE OF BSA - going for 30k. Anyone interested PM me please.

2 Battered Lambrettas 1960's available for sale - ideal for restoration jobs - going for 25K and 20K respectively. As is where is. PM me for the same.

Cheers!
Old 4th December 2008, 15:55   #69
BHPian

Hi Cyrus - Any updates on the King's Circle bunch of Lambys?
I see them everyday as I take that route for work. Tried looking out for the owner and it seems it is owned by someone who exports it. My bike mechanic sold him 2 Lds and when he asked one of those back for me, the guy (exporter) flatly refused.
Maybe we can check it this weekend. Let me know.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:19   #70
BHPian

Ncr Lambrettas

Ok Guys...finally managed to reach the awesome rooftop with 14lambrettas parked there. One series 2 and others are all Vijai Supers, Allwyn Pushpaks!

Have taken some pics just for your reference. This guy is one hell of an Indian - doesnt want to sell any and wants to retain all of the machines and slowly start doing them up.

All that you under the tarpoline covers are lambrettas - pure lambrettas!

He helps me now with part samples where I require.

Great!

here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc02234-1.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc02235-1.jpg  

Old 5th February 2009, 15:19   #71
BHPian

Is this place in Karol Bagh ?
Old 5th February 2009, 15:41   #72
BHPian

oKHLA

Hi Girish,

Nope this place is in Okhla - cant disclose anything beyond that as I dont have permission from the owner yet.

Cheers!

PS: Let me know the details our transaction as well!
Old 9th February 2009, 17:16   #73
BHPian

This pic deserves to be posted here..
Attached Thumbnails
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-lambretta.jpg  

Old 10th February 2009, 16:34   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddie, the blue on the left looks the bettr of the 2......what's the story on these 2?? Are they bought by a collector and off for resto. or for another export (sigh!)??

And today, while nosing around in a corner yard of the same compound where I'm doing up my lambretta, I came across these 2 hidden relics, one nearly completely buried under a rubble of less interesting bajaj scooters (circled one)....there is even a sidecar that belongs to one of them!

The blue one seems to have been fitted with a footrest- but why?! Isn't the rear floorboard long enough to keep both your feet on?

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-img_2429.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-junkli.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-junkli2.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-img_2432.jpg

Strangely I had just been looking around the place, thinking ironically that there aren't even any dead skeletons of lambrettas to find among junk nowadays.......and just then spotted these! Law of attraction?

I first assumed they had been junked but the mech. there said it belonged to a customer who was getting them restored....sound familiar?

Last edited by Stanher : 10th February 2009 at 16:46.
Old 10th February 2009, 17:56   #75
BHPian

Stanher: They are always getting restored. Probably a standard sentence to ward of people like me

As for the footrest, some people just dont need reasoning, have you checked out the weird and whacky mod jobs?

Most Viewed