Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 18:08   #76
BHPian

are the lamby 150 and the lambretta 150 the same? were they made by the same manufacturer?
Old 10th February 2009, 18:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
are the lamby 150 and the lambretta 150 the same? were they made by the same manufacturer?
Same in the sense mechanically yes- more or less entirely. But the lamby 150 did have some differently designed body-panels, namely the side-domes and the mudguard, although these were all interchangeable with the lambretta panels. In fact I'm told it was a trend back then to fit lamby 150 panels on an older lambretta to make it look more 'modern' and thus it'd tend to fetch more resale value!

Also Lamby weighed a little less than the lambretta. And both were from the same manufaturer- API (Automobiel Products of India) although the '59 Li 150 Series 1 and first series 2 (1960-61) lambrettas were from Innocenti, Italy.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:51   #78
BHPian

may be the guy who owned the lamby with the footrest had a very short wife who used to sit sideways.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
may be the guy who owned the lamby with the footrest had a very short wife who used to sit sideways.
Or maybe some short elderly lady in his family.....uh, BTW, that one's a Lambretta, not Lamby.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Eddie, the blue on the left looks the bettr of the 2......what's the story on these 2?? Are they bought by a collector and off for resto. or for another export (sigh!)??
Shyam, both scooters belong to a friend and will be taken up for restoration in a few months.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:28   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

That's good to know, ed!

Meanwhile, came across this '57 LD on ebay..........just LOOK at the price it is being advertised for- that too BUY IT NOW!!!
I can't believe it!

Lambretta 150 LD 57 cercasi in acquisto,ho i documenti - eBay (item 260352459226 end time Feb-24-09 13:32:28 PST)

From what little Italian I can understand, it doesn't have any documents.

But still......for this price, it can definitely be bought eyes closed!! And complete enough to serve as a parts donor atleast!

Still, considering it's location AND the cumbersome red tape headaches one'd have to face in bringing it here, it totally puts you off!

:sigh: Geography can be sooo cruel!

Last edited by Stanher : 14th February 2009 at 00:34.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:51   #82
BHPian

Wow!! I wonder if the seller just wanted to give it away free. Stanher, U bet geography can be cruel, a couple of years ago I came across a Jawa 500 OHV engine on ebay Canada for around Rs. 20,000. I really wish I could have picked it up :(

Also come across so many bikes on international websites which just needs a home or the owner would put a ridiciously low amount on it, Imagine a Jawa twin with side car for US $100.
Old 8th March 2009, 20:35   #83
BHPian

Lambertta J 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Vanakkam,

Great find and very good buy sir.
Sure it is in safe hands.....if you find any other owners willing to sell to safe hands....my hands are open
I will visit you in Oct/Nov 08.

Cheers and congratulations
How about this Lambretta J 125 ?
Have you ever sampled this " Italian Expresso" Thalaiva :-)
ps: Do you know, this particular scott J 125 was manufactured in limited numbers, to be precise 21185 units from MILAN .
This "J" range were monocoque chassis ( to be first from INNOCENTI)
More facts & figures................... will be posted soon...
Attached Thumbnails
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-17.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-j-125-lambertta.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 16:17. Reason: 2 smileys max. As you have been told before, you MUST read the Team-BHP rules.
powertwin is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th March 2009, 21:00   #84
BHPian

Nice find sir, is this one you mentioned yesterday ? I never heard of this type.
Still my hands are open ....hahaha
Have you seen my mail ?

regards

Last edited by girishpv : 8th March 2009 at 21:02.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:18   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
How about this Lambretta J 125 ?
Have you ever sampled this " Italian Expresso" Thalaiva
ps: Do you know, this particular scott J 125 was manufactured in limited numbers, to be precise 21185 units from MILAN
So is this what was called the Cento in India? If not, what were the differences? Handlebar perhaps?
Old 9th March 2009, 14:12   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Nice find sir, is this one you mentioned yesterday ? I never heard of this type.
regards
Yes, indeed this was the CENTO available in India for a very limited period (sometime in the 80's, I think) and I remember that my neighbour had bought one brand new and used it for a couple of years.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:38   #87
BHPian

Here is the "Cento" I know of,
Is the front looks different than "J" ? or is this was modified ?
Attached Thumbnails
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-cento_003.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-cento_004.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-cento_005.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-cento_008.jpg  

Last edited by girishpv : 9th March 2009 at 18:41.
Old 9th March 2009, 20:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its CENTO !!!
Cento is a 100cc scott, but this particular cento posted by Girish, has lost most of its" stock parts", which was the real identy of this cute scoot
Steering head is replaced ( Vijai super's)
Front mudgaurd again of V/S
Main body seat fittment beds are sup to be Alloy,again SSStrong Indian Mod .
Any way a light weight step thro', with monocoque chassis from INNOCENTI , specially designed for Women ...is nice find indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Yes, indeed this was the CENTO available in India for a very limited period (sometime in the 80's, I think) and I remember that my neighbour had bought one brand new and used it for a couple of years.
Cross check your memory President,if it was a new machine, then wud have been at '60s.
& non of the Centos. & "j"s where manufacterd out side ITALY,but dunno if they were marketed by " Auto Parts India" at their dealar outlets in INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So is this what was called the Cento in India? If not, what were the differences? Handlebar perhaps?
its " CENTO" throughout the Globe ( Karlos..its joke)
came in 2 guises
Cento 50 & Cento 100, both 3 speed, at first with solo seat & later dual seat for Cento 100.
About handle bar or steering head - - Looks alike.
"as the name says,POWER TRAIN specs differ"
*Do you know? J 125 had a 'utility box beneath the seats as in our new gen scots like Scotty

Mod's Note: Please do not break your posts into multiple ones. Reply to everyone at one go. Use the multiquote button.

All posts merged into one.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:18   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe, I have the tech specs of the Cento. I will post it sometime soon. It was made by m/s Scooters India Ltd for a while.
Sadly, it failed as it was not considered either as moped material or as a scooter, failing to pull two adults just like any other 150 cc scooter.
By the way here are pictures of a 1967 Lambretta Li150 which still dons its original paint on the rear. the front has been retouched as you will notice. Its owned by the same family since 1967.
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc03511.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc03510.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc03509.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc03508.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-dsc03507.jpg
Old 9th March 2009, 21:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
From what I know the Cento's are the J100 or J98 sporting the 98cc engine and the J125 which Mr. Muthukumar owns is the 125cc engine. Both of them looked the same with perhaps the same monocoque body.

I am not sure which one came before, but the Vespa 50 and 90 and the Lambretta J series with the 50, 100, and 125 cc versions were targeted to sell them to woman. When Mr. Muthu called me to tell me about his scoot, I did not have a clear picture. Then, I remembered seeing one in Chennai. The indian version of the Vespa 90, the PL170 is very similar to the J series in terms of the body and other styling like the plastic tool box under the seat, lightweight body, small levers, etc.

Girish: Im guessing that is a mod job done on that scoot.

Cheers

Most Viewed