Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 11:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

I have very very fond memories of Lambrattes as my father used one all his life. All my mama's ( father's brothers) had one. In our family Lambrattes was part of us.

I learnt my two-wheeler on this beautiful machine and we had 3 impeccable lambrattes ( over a span of 15 years) which being a fool that i am sold it when i came out of college and started earning.

But, some of my fond memories are :

a) Dad and me riding the lambretta and i may have got my crazy style of driving from him. He used to never stop at red lights, take short cuts via. pavements and footpaths and boy what speeds he used to drive with me clinging on to him in the back seat. I used to be in complete awe of his riding and driving skills. It always used to be fast !!!

b) me and my cousin always used to be the scapegoat to get the puncture made and you know how heavy it is, and need to cross a uphill to go to the puncture wala. Man, that was tough

c) Petrol over several times when i take it out for a spin and have to push it back home.

d) Daily drop my sister on the lamby to school and come back and take my bicycle to my school which was besides to my sister's school.

If my dad has to drive the two wheeler it has to be only a lambretta (we had a Bajaj Vespa, Kinetic Honda, LML too) and he hardly used to touch the car. And, can you imagine, i never saw anybody polish a lambratte and in those days, my dad used to do that.

I miss those lamby's and more importantly my dad a lot !!!
Old 11th September 2008, 20:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Stanher, Hillram and girish for your nice comments about this 1956 LD 150. I photographed this dame during the 2007 rally at Nagpur and have never seen this "Lady in Red" ever after. It is very original with the old speedo, the cream plastic petrol tank cap and the old colour scheme.
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld150-1.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld150-3.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld150-4.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld-150-2.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld-150-5.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld-150-6.jpg

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-ld-150-7.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th September 2008 at 20:12.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have very very fond memories of Lambrattes as my father used one all his life. In our family Lambrattes was part of us.

I learnt my two-wheeler on this beautiful machine and we had 3 impeccable lambrattes ( over a span of 15 years) which being a fool that i am sold it when i came out of college and started earning.

But, some of my fond memories are :

a) Dad and me riding the lambretta and i may have got my crazy style of driving from him. He used to never stop at red lights, take short cuts via. pavements and footpaths and boy what speeds he used to drive with me clinging on to him in the back seat. I used to be in complete awe of his riding and driving skills. It always used to be fast !!!

b) me and my cousin always used to be the scapegoat to get the puncture made and you know how heavy it is, and need to cross a uphill to go to the puncture wala. Man, that was tough

c) Petrol over several times when i take it out for a spin and have to push it back home.

d) Daily drop my sister on the lamby to school and come back and take my bicycle to my school which was besides to my sister's school.

If my dad has to drive the two wheeler it has to be only a lambretta (we had a Bajaj Vespa, Kinetic Honda, LML too) and he hardly used to touch the car. And, can you imagine, i never saw anybody polish a lambratte and in those days, my dad used to do that.

I miss those lamby's and more importantly my dad a lot !!!
Nice account mobike008; lovely sentiments too when everybody tries to be grown up and proper! Hope you've reigned in your driving style though.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:17   #49
BHPian

Thank Anjan, she is beautiful, awesome.....I wish to have one scooter like that

Thanks again for the photos

Regards
Old 13th September 2008, 22:22   #50
BHPian

My 1959 Lambretta 150 Li series-1

Hi Folks,
Here's my new acquisition. A 1959 Lambretta 150Li Series-1.
She is in pretty good shape. Requires very little work to bring her to concourse condition. Restoration is starting soon with missing parts, being sourced.Its got to get painted too as I do not prefer the colour.
Attached Thumbnails
A Bunch of Lambrettas.-59-lambretta-li150-s1-001.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-59-lambretta-li150-s1-007.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-59-lambretta-li150-s1-013.jpg  

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-59-lambretta-li150-s1-011.jpg  

Old 13th September 2008, 22:36   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Dussey congratulations on your new acquisition. Lovely example though needs painting, footboard ribsand the front brake lower lever (at the wheel disc) and brake wire.Also the front mudguard has been artistically sliced off and made a bit aerodynamic. Maybe you'll have to get another one fitted.
Old 13th September 2008, 23:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Hi Folks,
Here's my new acquisition. A 1959 Lambretta 150Li Series-1.
Congrats on such a lovely and RARE acquisition! At the same time, 'cant help feeling, hmm.....there goes another one out of my reach!! :sigh:

Its surprisingly still complete, with the side-dome badges and framebreather grille intact! Hard to find a scoot with these!

Btw, if I might ask, I hope you didnt have to pay a very exorbitant price for this?

Do you have an original mudguard? I have one if you need it, requires some proper tinkering and alignment though.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th September 2008 at 23:29.
Old 14th September 2008, 09:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Dussey congratulations on your new acquisition. Lovely example though needs painting, footboard ribsand the front brake lower lever (at the wheel disc) and brake wire.Also the front mudguard has been artistically sliced off and made a bit aerodynamic. Maybe you'll have to get another one fitted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats on such a lovely and RARE acquisition! At the same time, 'cant help feeling, hmm.....there goes another one out of my reach!! :sigh:

Its surprisingly still complete, with the side-dome badges and framebreather grille intact! Hard to find a scoot with these!

Btw, if I might ask, I hope you didnt have to pay a very exorbitant price for this?

Do you have an original mudguard? I have one if you need it, requires some proper tinkering and alignment though.
Thanks Anjan/ Stanher.
Like I had mentioned, I have to source all the missing bits like footboard ribs and of course the mudguard etc and have the painting also done with a new colour as I do not prefer the present colour.
Thanks Stanher for the offer of the original mudguard. Let me see if I can source it in Chennai,if not I will take up your offer.
Any part resources welcome, as I heard that in Delhi, replica trim, badges(I require the 'Lambretta' plastic badge on the front cowl ) are available.
As far as I know, the original colours were two tone white/Blue and white/Red and single colour beige. As these are too common in all restored Lambrettas, I intend giving it a different colour and am scouting scooter magazines like the British ' Scootering ' for some inspiration.
Stanher,I didnt pay the earth for it as the owner was interested in giving it to someone who will care for it and having seen my other Vintage/Classic vehicles he was confident that it will be in safe hands.

Thanks once again for your encouragement. I have always wanted a Classic Lambretta and here I go !
Old 14th September 2008, 11:44   #54
BHPian

Vanakkam,

Great find and very good buy sir.
Sure it is in safe hands.....if you find any other owners willing to sell to safe hands....my hands are open
I will visit you in Oct/Nov 08.

Cheers and congratulations
Old 14th September 2008, 11:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Vanakkam,

Great find and very good buy sir.
Sure it is in safe hands.....if you find any other owners willing to sell to safe hands....my hands are open
I will visit you in Oct/Nov 08.

Cheers and congratulations
Thanks, Girish. Will surely do. You are welcome to visit me,it will be a pleasure.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks Stanher for the offer of the original mudguard. Let me see if I can source it in Chennai,if not I will take up your offer.
You're always welcome to.
Btw, @anjan, the mudguard has not been cut from what I can see, its actually a lamby 150 mudguard, which explains the "slim" shape.
Lambretta (Li) mudguards were broader and had the broader indentation down the middle, as seen on this immaculate Li s1 here:

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-img_0720.jpg

Quote:
Any part resources welcome, as I heard that in Delhi, replica trim, badges(I require the 'Lambretta' plastic badge on the front cowl ) are available.
If you mean the "Innocenti Lambretta" embelm on the horn cowl, plastic replica (Indian made I'm sure!) ones could be had here but VERY difficult to get now!
I was lucky to have got one for free from Rashid Mody, planning to fit it onto my s2:

A Bunch of Lambrettas.-img_0747.jpg

Quote:
As far as I know, the original colours were two tone white/Blue and white/Red and single colour beige. As these are too common in all restored Lambrettas, I intend giving it a different colour and am scouting scooter magazines like the British ' Scootering ' for some inspiration.
How bout one like the s1 in the above pic.? They also came in white and maroon (non-metallic), white and turquoise...

Quote:
Stanher,I didnt pay the earth for it as the owner was interested in giving it to someone who will care for it and having seen my other Vintage/Classic vehicles he was confident that it will be in safe hands.
Lucky you then!

If only I had that kind of luck when it came to going for such scooters! :sigh:

Quote:
Thanks once again for your encouragement. I have always wanted a Classic Lambretta and here I go !
Congrats again! She should come out a stunner once restored!

Last edited by Stanher : 14th September 2008 at 12:48.
Old 14th September 2008, 17:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Stanher (Quote)Btw, @anjan, the mudguard has not been cut from what I can see, its actually a lamby 150 mudguard, which explains the "slim" shape.
Lambretta (Li) mudguards were broader and had the broader indentation down the middle, as seen on this immaculate Li s1 here:(Quote)
Yes thats the Lamby 150 mudguard rightfully.
Old 14th September 2008, 19:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Shyam...Who owns ADX 8586..seems like an unique piece in Hyd
Old 14th September 2008, 20:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Shyam Who owns ADX 8586..seems like an unique piece in Hyd
Its owned by a petrol bunk owner in Bahadurpura. He's a semi-regular at the DHAA rallies, he'd brought this scoot for the 26th jan rally this year. He owns I guess nearly a dozen lambrettas! including 2 d 150s, and also a Vijai Super.
You bet its a unique piece! Every original part intact! I'm yet to find a similar model as complete as this one!
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I was pottering around the colony aimlessly today (as usual) wondering what i could do. Suddenly it struck me!! I had seen a couple of Lambrettas a while ago near Kings Circle. So i decided to check them out hoping they would still be there. and when i reached the spot, well...i was quitw blown away!! At least 10 Lambrettas standing side by side. I was in scooter heaven!! Below are some pics. I really want one of these. DAD, i hope you are reading this. I really want to restore one of these, paint it Powder Blue/Pista Green and white. Wear a nice pair of shorts and ride this on sunday evening!!! Ahh..Majja Ni life!!
Hey Cy, any news on this bunch of lambrettas lately??
Are they still around? Especially the LD?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks