Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 21:14   #16
BHPian

The LR 110 is a pre Defender model. These vehicles were the transition between late SIII and current Defenders. 110 means 110 inch wheel base. Other WB options were 90 and an uncommon 127, which was replaced by the Defender 130.

Notice the safari roof on the older vehicle, which is either an SIIA or an SIII 109 inch.

Last edited by Alfa_Kilo : 20th June 2008 at 21:27.
Old 21st June 2008, 00:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Arre baba log, MTK 8127 is the same landy that's parked near Cyrus' place. At least from what I remember three days back. I go and ogle at her quite regularly !!! In fact the same guy seems to have either acquired a new one, or may have always had it.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 21st June 2008 at 00:44. Reason: Wrong reg number mentioned.
Old 21st June 2008, 01:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Arre baba log, MTK 8127 is the same landy that's parked near Cyrus' place. At least from what I remember three days back. I go and ogle at her quite regularly !!! In fact the same guy seems to have either acquired a new one, or may have always had it.
He has always had it. since years. BTW, Next time you come by, u better give me a buzz!!!
Old 21st June 2008, 01:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sure ! In fact I was there on tuesday I think - principally to take a sneak peek at your LHD ( She's a beauty - more when we meet !!) That's the last I saw the Landy, though there was only one.
Old 21st June 2008, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

One for the Landie brigade - I just discovered three disused and almost disintegrating Land rovers parked at Bandra reclamation, near Rang sharda hotel. They have a Spastics society of india logo, and appear to be a gift from HRH the Prince of Wales. They seem to have been kept there for want of spares / maintenance.
Wasn't able to take pics, will try soon. Anybody throw more light on this ?
Old 21st June 2008, 14:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One for the Landie brigade - I just discovered three disused and almost disintegrating Land rovers parked at Bandra reclamation, near Rang sharda hotel. They have a Spastics society of india logo, and appear to be a gift from HRH the Prince of Wales. They seem to have been kept there for want of spares / maintenance.
Wasn't able to take pics, will try soon. Anybody throw more light on this ?
Yeah I remember seeing them while passing by. Dont recall much though.

At one of the education boards in Pune opposite the Symbiosis College you can see a couple of logo'ed Landies in running condition.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:41   #22
BHPian

Beasts -loyal and tough and supremely reliable in a tight situation.These are the real vehicles intended for MEN and not he confounded eggshell cars of today.And no,I am only 33 now.
Old 17th April 2010, 08:34   #23
BANNED

Hi some new info on this

Hello Cyrus .You have taken this photo in front of Palia mansion, near those 5/7 something gardens at Dadar parsi colony Right?
Well thease two Ladies sorry Landies are standing on the huge foot path.
They DONT belong to a single person.
The Defender belongs to a Gujjubhai(from suburbs), & the series belongs to a Bawa (very nutty) living nearby.
Want some more ? please ask
And Karl .. arnt you spying on both of them ?
well this is second attempt to up load since yesterday, I could hardly wait when I saw those photos.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just discovered three disused and almost disintegrating Land rovers parked at Bandra reclamation, near Rang sharda hotel. They have a Spastics society of india logo, and appear to be a gift from HRH the Prince of Wales. They seem to have been kept there for want of spares / maintenance.
Any chance of any of them being up for sale? I presume being unwanted and owned by a charity organisation, they would come relavitely cheap!
Old 18th April 2010, 12:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
MHP? So there is a third one!! owned by the same person i am sure. Karl this is parked at the same place we saw the Landy the last time.
Cyrus I would like to ask you if you know about a parsi gentleman Mr. Dastoor by name who stayed at 5 gardens parsi colony had 2 to 3 Landy's in 70's and he used to maaintain it himself I know because he used to get them at Mahm Rupam Boring Works, I had my office eariler there. I heard recently that he is no more alive, his sons who were not very keen to maintining landys. Can you tell me what happened to those immaculate Landys.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:50   #26
BANNED

Well,Stanher Land Rovers, specially the series ones are diffiult to find (with good papers ) & difficult to sell even.
Sadly Iqbal, Mr.Dastoors cars are gone long back. As far as i know ,he sold them himself. ( in his old age )
Old 19th April 2010, 13:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sudarshan - the land rover of Mr.Dastoor was a 1969 registration vehicle, registered as MRD6135. It was immaculately kept. I used to see it everyday from my hall window as I stay in the next building (Dhun Villa). Mr.Dastoor was very careful in keeping MRD6135 very clean. His cleaning man's name was Tanu. I have seen Tanu on top of the Land Rover with Mr.Dastoor instructing him to clean the top properly. MRD6135 was grey with a cream top. The shades on top of the side windows were made at Amzel Auto Works, owned by Mr.Jangoo Sethna. The shades were finished in red oxide and were painted white after about a month "to allow the red oxide to become effective" is what Mr.Dastoor told me years back. Sadly, all 3 of them are no more and I do not know the present location of MRD6135. A silver coloured Norton / BSA or some such bike also used to stand at right angles in front of MRD6135. The bike is also not to be seen. A Honda / Skoda or some such thing stands there now. Sad.

Incidentally, Palia Mansion is known for its land rovers and old cars. Mr.Behram Kerawalla still stays there and he used to have these Land Rovers. I had seen a very old car parked in his garage in Palia Mansion. Once every year he used to take the car out, clean the garage and put the car in. I have not seen such activity happening in the last 10 years or so. I guess times have changed.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th April 2010, 14:10   #28
BANNED

Yes Mr. Behram , the series mentioned/photoed in the begining of the thread belongs to Behram Kerawala. Though you may see him very few times he is alive,well & most importantly KICKING !
I have seen Mr. Dastoor's Land Rover (S2 long wb three, doors in 1999/2000) & driven it too.
Please ask Mr. Behram Kerawala about the Jeepwala MAMA from Pune.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
I know because he used to get them at Mahm Rupam Boring Works, I had my office eariler there..
I used to visit Rupam Boring too, for machining jobs for my motorcycles years ago.
Regards
Old 19th April 2010, 15:11   #30
BHPian

nice vehicles, didnt some one put up these pics earlier as well !! Yes the series is certainly a series III with the flat door hinges and grill badge, and a deluxe (rounded edges) dished bonnet to lower the height of the stepni to afford better offside view!! but someone has added extra lights inside the wings ??? never seen one like that before!! was it a PO mod, even the cut out grill looks strange !! but then who can tell?? these landies came in so many configurations!!
gr8 pics !!always nice to see a well maintained vehicle.
Polly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks