Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 15:05   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Misery loves company??

sid,
Your scoot seems to be coming out great! But how come the fuel tank, toolbox etc. have been fitted before the frame was painted? And they dont seem to be painted yet?

Anyways, after a brief delay with my mech. getting busy with some otjher scoots, and me running short of time with my job, we are back on track with my '60 s2.

He has got the scooter wired up now with the new junction box and cables etc. all connected. 'only needs new oil and petrol to be started up, which he said he will be doing tomorrow morning and asked me to come over then.

He said he had to 'reface' the magnet as it was ill-fitting (taken from another lammy) and wasn't turning properly at first. All sorted out now.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3476.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3477.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3478.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3481.jpg

BUT, here's one more wrinkle that needs to be smoothed out!!

Just when I thought nothing could go worse, my mech. showed me the petrol tap rod that is way too long for the bike!!

I'm surprised as to how the length turned out to be inappropriate!! Any way to correct this??

SOS to Saurabh !!!!!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3479.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3480.jpg

We plan to drive it down to the denter and show him the misalignment on the frame that I showed here earlier. There is one guy who is an old-timer and would know what the problem is, but he would be dead busy now, what with the vintage bikes getting ready for 15th aug....I hope he agrees to take a look at it!!
Old 17th August 2009, 21:48   #167
BHPian

Updates on restoration of my 1970 S2. We are a week from completion now, wiring is done. Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00673.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00674.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00675.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00676.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00677.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00678.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00679.jpg  

Old 18th August 2009, 14:19   #168
BHPian

Hey Sidman,

Your machine is coming out very well.

Nice petrol tankk T - where did you get that from?

Cheers mate!

Old 18th August 2009, 19:07   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Great going sid!

Your machine seems to be coming along steadily, unlike mine! :(

'cant wait to see her done!
Old 18th August 2009, 20:15   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Hey Sidman,

Your machine is coming out very well.

Nice petrol tankk T - where did you get that from?

Cheers mate!

Thanks Saurabh! The tank outlet is a local piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great going sid!

Your machine seems to be coming along steadily, unlike mine! :(

'cant wait to see her done!
Thanks Shyam! Most credit goes to Arun and my mech Fayaz. All things get sorted out eventually, so cheer up!
Old 19th August 2009, 23:55   #171
BHPian

Hey Sidman the throttle cable holder (marked in the pix) I guess is of plastic. AFAIK this also used to be made up of metal, similar to the gear cables holder (I don't know the name of this part). I have seen metal one in my Dad's 1960 Lambretta and many others. May be Sourav or others can throw some light.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00678.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 11:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hey Sidman the throttle cable holder (marked in the pix) I guess is of plastic. AFAIK this also used to be made up of metal, similar to the gear cables holder (I don't know the name of this part). I have seen metal one in my Dad's 1960 Lambretta and many others. May be Sourav or others can throw some light.
Yes, you are right. The early 60's (Innocenti) Lambrettas had these parts in brass. We have looked for them. The only way is to find an early 60's fit for junking, and buy these parts off it. They are very sought after. Now, my scooter is a 1970 API Lambretta, which originally came with these parts in plastic. If I do get hold of these brass replacements, I will fit them later.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:07   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally back in action with an update on my s2!
And geez, it's amazing to find how multiple problems seem to attack you all at once!

Despite many efforts, the scoot hasn't been able to fire up properly since days- and finally when it did (which I unfortunately missed, being at work! :() it would quickly die down! This really got on the guy's nerves!

So the mech. got down to working on the mechanicals, got the manifold changed back to an original Li one (it was with a Vijai one, having been previously fitted with a Vijai mikarb carb) as the scoot was found to be taking in a lot of air. It still didn't solve the problem.

Then finally he found out that the oil-seals fitted turned out to be not too good and there was an oil leak!

So the guy managed to get better seals (pioneer or something) for the clutch side, had me get him 2 of the magneto side today.
Plus, he says the magneto fitted seems to be weak in charging!

Also turns out the air-filter box too is a newer one from a lamby, as the original Li ones had the rod for the air-filter welded on from the inside, which this one doesn't have! 'looks like the previous owners had upgraded most parts of this scoot to Lamby ones, as was common in those days!
I was advised to revert to an original box or change the air-filter holder to a Lamby one.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3602.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3604.jpg

I think there is an original box fitted on a scoot I plan to retain for parts, so will take it off that and fit onto this scoot. 'will take some time though.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:24   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally back in action with an update on my s2!
And geez, it's amazing to find how multiple problems seem to attack you all at once!

Despite many efforts, the scoot hasn't been able to fire up properly since days- and finally when it did (which I unfortunately missed, being at work! :() it would quickly die down! This really got on the guy's nerves!

So the mech. got down to working on the mechanicals, got the manifold changed back to an original Li one (it was with a Vijai one, having been previously fitted with a Vijai mikarb carb) as the scoot was found to be taking in a lot of air. It still didn't solve the problem.

Then finally he found out that the oil-seals fitted turned out to be not too good and there was an oil leak!

So the guy managed to get better seals (pioneer or something) for the clutch side, had me get him 2 of the magneto side today.
Plus, he says the magneto fitted seems to be weak in charging!

Also turns out the air-filter box too is a newer one from a lamby, as the original Li ones had the rod for the air-filter welded on from the inside, which this one doesn't have! 'looks like the previous owners had upgraded most parts of this scoot to Lamby ones, as was common in those days!
I was advised to revert to an original box or change the air-filter holder to a Lamby one.

Attachment 177855

Attachment 177856

I think there is an original box fitted on a scoot I plan to retain for parts, so will take it off that and fit onto this scoot. 'will take some time though.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:26   #175
Senior - BHPian

Sid, finally saw your lamby pics. Good going. Hope to see it on the 30th!!
Old 21st August 2009, 12:38   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Sid, finally saw your lamby pics. Good going. Hope to see it on the 30th!!
Thanks Arun, I hope all goes as planned this time!
Old 21st August 2009, 19:19   #177
BHPian

Hi Stanher,

Be very very careful with Magneto side seals. They can get damaged quite easily during installation.

Even the slightest of nick on the seal lip is good enough to ruin it completely.

Doesn't matter which make you pick up - install properly and put high temp grease if possible while installing them.

Cheers!
Old 21st August 2009, 23:43   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Saurabh!

BTW, today I heard for the first time my s2 engine firing up!

BUT, as he pointed out, it starts with great effort, and when it does, it dies down quickly! And during which time there is this bellowing sound heard, like air being taken in.

I suspect it is from the manget? I once had this problem with my Vijai Super. But I remember that was because of a problem with the points/condensor.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:31   #179
BHPian

Some updates on the restoration of my 1970 API S2 Lambretta. All wiring is done, and the engine is running fine. The blue body sections have been painted and a second coat has also been sprayed on. Results are fantastic...I hope to have it completed in a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image525.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image526.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image528.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image529.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image530.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image531.jpg  

Old 25th August 2009, 20:02   #180
Senior - BHPian

Is this Flaminia Blue? If so what is the code. I am planning to paint my scooter Flaminia blue too, like the one in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-3a7a_3.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks