Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:10   #256
BHPian

Dear Stanher and Sid,

The RC book says that the MHI is registered in 1960 no change in registratin after that and yes off course its the Italian version....
and the vertical spare holder has seriously made us confused tooo... I'm sure it must be reworked, however waws confused yesterday while discussing same with Sunils yesterday....
And yes to identify the parts, we've started working in phases, 1 thing at a time from 1 scoot to naot mix them up!
labeling was the idea from Sunil, however I find it pretty time consuming and wasting time over that actually would have delayed the project, hence thought would work in phases.....
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:27   #257
BHPian

Guys,
A big goof up happened, forgot to remove the helmet box clamps from lambies legsheild and the paint job is done "SOS". Lamby had a bajaj's helmet box behind the Legsheild.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:35   #258
BHPian

Hi Lambyman!

Glad to see good progress on your project!

Keep it up and let us know if you need any help or parts.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 5th November 2009, 14:55   #259
BHPian

Here Comes some colour to Lambies Life:
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-021109_1748.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-031109_1234.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-031109_1236.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-031109_1237.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-041109_1018.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-041109_1309.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-031109_1238.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-051109_1206.jpg
Old 5th November 2009, 14:55   #260
BHPian

Attachment 222332

Attachment 222333

Attachment 222334

Attachment 222335

Attachment 222336

Attachment 222337

Attachment 222338

Attachment 222339
Old 5th November 2009, 21:49   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Good to see the progress on your scoot. However, posting only pics is not enough. Most of us like to know the details of the paint and parts going on your Lamby. See posts from Shyam, Saurabh and myself, for example. We try to provide as much details without boring anyone. Its only helpful to share the finer details of your restoration. We could learn something new from you, or we could advise you on the "right" way to do some part of your restoration.
Old 5th November 2009, 22:33   #262
BHPian

impressed my first girl on a lamby thanks both of you for bringing back memories awesome machine to say the least.seen one in mumbai fully chrome plated will try to get photos if i can trace him.
Old 8th November 2009, 16:26   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
The RC book says that the MHI is registered in 1960 no change in registratin after that and yes off course its the Italian version.
Lambyman, the scooter maybe a 1960 model, though re-registered in the early 70s probably. The RC book (if the original book type) will probably have the old number written on one page. Date of registrations may also be displayed. If you post up a scan of the book, we can further study.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th November 2009 at 16:34.
Old 12th November 2009, 20:37   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

At looooooooooooooooong laast!!

Hi all,

After yet another staggering long break, here is finally an update again on my "MDS", 1960 s2.

Although the rear frame bend had been sorted out at another denter's place, some issues with the bodywork still remained. So back to the same previous denter (who wasn't too pleased to be entrusted with the Lammy work again! But I had no choice!)
I reckon I finally got things sorted out today. It's going to cost me a single-coat repaint on the frame but definitely worth it!

Braving an attempt to upload all the pics. I've taken of the last bit of work done in the last 2 days. 'been difficult to lately, especially at this time.

YESTERDAY'S WORK:

Firstly we tend to the rear frame. Checking with the side-panels mounted, without the rubber beadings:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3906.jpg

A little grinding here...

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3907.jpg

then fitting both the panels to check

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3908.jpg

A little grinding there

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3909.jpg

A little hammering here

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3910.jpg

A little pulling here

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3912.jpg

Just about there!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3914.jpg

Now moving onto the bend in the front cross-member...

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3917.jpg

A little hammering with a wooden block in between and it was set right!

I can't imagine such a simple repair had been overlooked and was one of the reasons the scoot was kept pending the last few MONTHS!!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3918.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3919.jpg

To be continued with pics. of TODAY'S work...hold on!

Last edited by Stanher : 12th November 2009 at 20:43.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:47   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
To be continued with pics. of TODAY'S work..
Which, due to incessant problems with the net at home, has become YESTERDAY'S work!! This has been my 4th or 5th attempt today at uploading pics.! And that too have to upload them one by one!

Anyways, here they finally are:

On the denter's insistence, we tried fitting the panels with the latches and the rubber beadings either side. 'didn't find a correct fit at first. But they finally did after lots of trials!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3932.jpg

However, here's a new challenge: the side-panel handles/levers go way up at a slant as opposed to how they used to be, in the normal horizontal way or slanted slightly downwards, before the resto (seen in this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/919514-post8.html)

Denter guy doesn't seem too happy at having to touch the Lammy again!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3933.jpg

On checking and comparing with the locking hooks of another Lambretta in the same compound, some adjustment by welding was done on the hooks of my scoot. Yet the problem wasn't solved.
Then we checked by fitting the LH panel from the other scoot, which also had the handle positioning itself normally on locking! So, it was concluded that the fault lay with the levers on my panels; the springs are said to have gone weak. I too felt it could be so as there is less tension in them while locking the panels. I do have spare panels with working levers, let me fit those levers on and see. It doesn't however, affect the locking of the panels.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3936.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3934.jpg

To be continued (again!) as I'm not able to upload any more images for now!!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th November 2009 at 17:05.
Old 16th November 2009, 13:17   #266
BHPian

HI Stanher

Your side panel handles are interchanged - Left to Right and vice-versa. Change that and it will fix the side handle problem.

Ofcourse you now need a full coat of paint.

Cheers!
Old 16th November 2009, 22:16   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Your side panel handles are interchanged - Left to Right and vice-versa. Change that and it will fix the side handle problem.

Ofcourse you now need a full coat of paint.
Thanks saurabh! I'm glad you mentioned this- was about to inform you myself. Actually I'm given to understand that the handles are both of one side only- can't remember if left or right. But htey are both of one side only Iam told.

Also you mean only the handles and not the whole levers, right?

Yes, the painter too said I'll have to get the frame single-coat painted. Not an issue, just need to get the right shade of colour.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:17   #268
BHPian

Hi Stanher - I mean the whole lever set - its specific to LH and RH in terms of the holes for the exterior handles.

The exterior handles are common.

Cheers!
Old 17th November 2009, 18:19   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Hi Stanher - I mean the whole lever set - its specific to LH and RH in terms of the holes for the exterior handles.

The exterior handles are common.

Cheers!
Ohh.....right, I suspected that actually is what you meant!! Darn!! The mechanic had asked me to fit them on myself, and when I asked him for confirmation, he said that the levers are both the same, can be interchanged with either panel!!

And here I was worried about the strange position of the handles when locked..........not once did it occur even to that fellow that he had me fit the assemblies itself wrong!! The thought makes my blood boil!! Seriously!

Lord, the kind of people I am surrounded with!!

Anyways, I have bought the paint today, they said they will begin the scraping today, painting tomorrow. Incidentally, today is quite cloudy and drizzly for that matter!
Old 18th November 2009, 10:24   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The thought makes my blood boil!! Seriously!
Lord, the kind of people I am surrounded with!!
Poor Stanher! But your troubles will soon come to an end, and you will look back at all these troubling times, and laugh! And of course, you'll have the all-important "Lammy n me" pic to use as your profile pic on FB! And a lot of other advantages as well...more colleagues are actually interacting with me now, after they came to know that the shiny Lambretta in the office parking lot belongs to me. A few have told me "Hey! My dad/uncle/grandfather had a scooter like this." Great way to make new friends

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks