Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 23:00   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Whats sorry about the picture, though retired they still are serving workhorses, You will be amazed to see what kind of loads these 2 stroker pull with ease. I am happy to see at least they are not rotting away under some tree.
Well, IMHO they'd have been better off rotting under tress, atleast if someone found them, they could have a chance of being restored back to glory....what chance do they stand now being totally mutilated beyond resurrection like this??!

Anyways, a real sad sight! Incidentally, is this Nainital?

A friend told me he saw Vijais being converted to 3-wheelers there.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:10   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, IMHO they'd have been better off rotting under tress, atleast if someone found them, they could have a chance of being restored back to glory....what chance do they stand now being totally mutilated beyond resurrection like this??!

Anyways, a real sad sight! Incidentally, is this Nainital?

A friend told me he saw Vijais being converted to 3-wheelers there.
right on stanher, it is near Ramnagar, enroute to Nainital. and rightly said, they are better off like this than rotting under trees.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:12   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Finally i am the proud owner of a Vijay Super.. Attaching the pictures when i brought her home today.. Along with her is the owner's 1963 Lambretta (incidently that is the reason why i got Vijay). I was fortunate enough to get a ride on Lambretta.. It was amazing.. The ride quality, smooth gear-shift and a pleasent exhaust note were memorable.. Wish i could get a lambretta too. :(

Well finally i am home with my Baby.. After little assessment i found out that all i have to do is,
little adjustment in handle assembly,
new speedometer assy with cable,
engine tuning,
brakes overall,
clutch and gear cable change..
I will save the paint job until she is mechanically fit.. That will give me a chance to save some money too..
Basically the engine and body are solid and no rusting..

Would like to know your views and suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Whats sorry about the picture, though retired they still are serving workhorses, You will be amazed to see what kind of loads these 2 stroker pull with ease. I am happy to see at least they are not rotting away under some tree.

Pramod
hehe.. Locomotor, I think Stanher meant the opposite. But I agree with you locomotor, any form of using is better than hoarding which ultimately leads to scrapping. I've met so many people who say they won't sell their bikes because of sentiment. Well, a very noble sentiment, I must say, to let it rot without bothering to maintain it.
Priyadarshan, your lambretta is more impressive. It looks like an Innocenti. If you have any way of getting that particular horncast and corresponding grille, let me know, I'm desperately looking for one.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:09   #469

yes insaneinsaan, i totally missed out that one by stanher, but then again isn't it better to atleast see them around than not at all. i mean how many of these yesteryears workhorses do get a chance of resurrection?
Old 24th January 2011, 10:56   #470
BHPian

Hi all,
Our Lambretta thread seems to have been sleeping for quite a while. Why dont people post a 1 year usage review or similar, and share your experiences?

Meanwhile I have a question to ask the experts and the experienced. Of the carburettor options available for the 150 CC Lambretta scooters in India, which one would youe consider the optimal one for mileage & accelerations? - 19mm Spaco / Dellorto, 22mm Micarb, 22 mm Jetex, 22 mm Solex, or any other if you have tried?
Old 7th February 2011, 14:46   #471
BHPian

Hello all,

We have a lambretta, unused for many years. We wish to restore it now but unable to find a good mechanic/restorer in Mumbai.

Can anybody suggest a good one?

Regards
Old 8th February 2011, 09:01   #472
BHPian

Hi Sid,
Welcome to the Lambretta family. Nice to hear about your motivation to restore it. Do post some pictures and details (model name, year of manufacture) about your scooter. You may contact Insaneinsaan (Shirish) for more details on skilled personals for restoring your Lambretta in Mumbai. There are lots of friend in this forum who are eager to help other restorers with parts, information, suggestions, and if possible pull up the sleeves & make their own hands dirty.
-Ilango

Last edited by ilangop : 8th February 2011 at 09:02.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:45   #473
BHPian

Thank you very much Inalgo.
I will definitely contact Insaneinsaan (Shirish).
Regarding the scooter, its a 74 model Lambretta 150, bearing a original Bombay no. MRI. I will take the pictures as soon as possible and post it here.
Majority of parts were in good condition enabling us to do it up externally. The main problem though is internal. The engine needs some major treatment .

Cheers

Sid
Old 15th February 2011, 22:01   #474
BHPian

Hi Sid,
Eagerly waiting for pictures. Try to retain as many Italian parts as possible. Could you please elaborate on the 'Major engine work'?
Old 15th February 2011, 22:13   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidms View Post
Hello all,

We have a lambretta, unused for many years. We wish to restore it now but unable to find a good mechanic/restorer in Mumbai.

Can anybody suggest a good one?

Regards
Pls go to Mr. Pandu he is located in Mahim .
Exact location is like this.
When you travel on L.J. Road from Mahim church , after you cross L.H. road, you will cross Gopi Tank vegetable market, and opposit to this is old citylight cinema, keep going towards shivaji park, next you will cross Raja Badhe chowk, again keep going ,on your left side you will find PARK AUTO STORES. This shop has Lambretta parts ask for amu bhai and he wil help you for the parts.

Now after you have spoken to amu bhai ask him about Pandus garage or else keep going to shivaji park from this Parkauto stores next lane turn left and on the corner you will find PANDUS garage.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:12   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sid,
Eagerly waiting for pictures. Try to retain as many Italian parts as possible. Could you please elaborate on the 'Major engine work'?
Hi Ilango,
Will surely post the pictures by this weekend.
Sorry I am not into the engine technicalities. But to start with, it just doesn't start effortlessly and when it starts it makes a lot of noise, additionally when you take it out there is a constant noise from wheels (as if you are riding it on the road only on rims). The gears feel like they need a lot of greasing!
My regular mechanic is into newer generation bikes and is unable to locate and fix these problems.

@ Iqbal Veerji,
Thank you very much sir. Your suggestion is really of a great help. I stay very near to Shivaji Park and it will be very convenient for me to visit this garage. I will share my experience once I visit this garage. thanks again..

Regards
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:52   #477
BHPian

Mirror clamp proto 1

Hi all,
I would like to share this latest DIY mirror clamp on my Vijai, inspired (Bench-marked) from Cambridge Lambretta Workshop, but a little modified the way I wanted. Always wanted to have 2 mirrors like in Vijai Mk-II / Sidman's LI to name a few. Attached the pictures of the same.
Currently the mirrors from the Bajaj scooter and look like horns on a bull. The final one shall be chrome plated ones. I would also like to chrome plate the clamp also.
Cylindrical ends for mirror stem - Rs 50
Small cylinder with taper - Rs 25
Central bar + welding - Rs 40
Cost / clamp - 115 Rs
Add costs to chrome plate / paint.
Refer attached picture for dimensions
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-clamp_dimensions.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-pict0315.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-pict0318.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-pict0317.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-pict0320.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-pict0321.jpg  

Old 26th February 2011, 16:29   #478
BHPian

Hi all, I have started Restoring my Lamby. First i am making the bike to run. Maybe after a couple of thousand kms, i will do the painting job. Check out the pics.
https://picasaweb.google.com/srinika...CJ2qXz8KaJmQE#
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:27   #479
BHPian

Any help on Lamby Rims? where do i get a pair?
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:05   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
Any help on Lamby Rims? where do i get a pair?
Try contacting sidman on tbhp. He should be able to guide you with parts in B'lore.

Most Viewed