Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, after being too busy to be able to post in further detail, here I am again!
The part of the frame that was stripped off it's paint has been coated with 'caustic'.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2204.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2206.jpg

Then further on, 'got the whole scooter stripped to bare chassis this time, after having them understand how I want it to be done!
Now the inside of the frame will be stripped of it's paint with the paint-remover and then the whole thing coated with 'caustic' before the zinc primer goes on. This will take a day or 2 more I'm told.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:01   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally things are going at a steady pace! After the whole frame was stripped of it's paint to my satisfaction (and much to the painters' chargin! ), with my approval, the zinc primer has finally gone on! And boy she looks good in this itself!
He said he's then going to put on the red-oxide primer and then let us have a chance to fit all the panels on once and check for alignment/gaps etc. before giving the paint the green signal.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2347.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2348.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2349.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2350.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2353.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2354.jpg
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2355.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 30th January 2009 at 10:04.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:04   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Ready at last?

'been meaning update this thread, again.....but again....!

Anyways, the painters have called in another ex-lambretta mechanic they know well, and he seems to know his job well! He helped me fit together all the body-panels once before I give the nod for the painting etc.
There was some ill-fitting in some of the body-panels, namely the mudguard-to-horncast, toolbox door, side floorboards and mainly the legshield bottom. All were successfully rectified by the denter, except for the legshield, which still showed a wide gap form the floorboards, however much tried!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2403.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2405.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2407.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2411.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2412.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2413.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2418.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2419.jpg

Later on, they realized that the fault was not with the legshield but with the support frame to which it is bolted below (also where the stand is mounted)- the frame, whic his supposed to be in a proper "U" type shape seems to have somehow got bent/misaligned/weakened somewhere down the line and it was strengthened using 2 flat plates welded in the middle (seen in one of the pics.), unfortunately these happened to be too wide and thus the frame had been stretched beyond the normal "U" shape!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2415.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2416.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2417.jpg

Hence the gap between the legshield bottom and floorboards. They've said that nothing can be done about that now, tryingg out anything might even make it worse. At the most they could align the width/height of the legshield+floorboards and recommended fitting an Allwyn Pushpak/Vijai bridgepiece (I believe it's bigger thanthe lambretta one?) to make up for the gap.
Well, pity....but considering that this part is normally covered with the mat, I guess (hope!) it won't make much of an obvious difference!
Old 6th February 2009, 12:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Stan,
ALready the ride looks super...i am drooling over it! Very meticulous!

OT:We missed you at Nizam club on wednesday!
Old 6th February 2009, 12:55   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Stan,
ALready the ride looks super...i am drooling over it! Very meticulous!

OT:We missed you at Nizam club on wednesday!
Thanks buddy!

Oh, you guys missed me?! Geez, man! Cho chweet of ya...I'm really touched!!

To be honest, I didn't even know there was this meet until Suren told me yesterday when I met him.

I surely intend to get this bike for a future meet if it's within the city!
Old 15th February 2009, 08:57   #66
BHPian

Hi all,
I got a terrible rusting problem with the petrol tank in my 1985 Vijai Super mark - II. The scooter is at my home town in Tamilnadu and I am the only user who drives it like about a 50 km while I visit home. On other days it stays idle. What happens is, since the vehicle is left idle there is lot of rust eating away the petrol tank. I am looking for a solution to remove the rust and give some anti-rust treatment so that the solution is one time. Please give me some valuable suggessions and tipps in undertaking such a rust protection activity. I am thinking about galvanizing it after removing off all the rust.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:30   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

An update again.....after the final checking of all the body panels, I've given the go for the painting. They will first begin with applying the primer etc.

Also scraping off the old paint from the horncast has been done.

I noticed that, on the horn grille, there are traces of some blue paint as well- this was a common shade on lambrettas too (more or less same as on my Pennant)......wonder if this was the original colour of the scooter?

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2456.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2457.jpg

They are reluctant to scrape off the inside of the horncast as well, claiming that its quite difficult, although I'm insisting on it! Let's see...

Also got my front hub and drum buffed up. It'd been shabbily painted with cheap overcoats, and the aluminium was getting whitish from the weather's corrosion. It's remarkable how much better it looks now!

Before:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2434.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2435.jpg

After:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2458.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2459.jpg
Old 20th February 2009, 22:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends, I want to restore my Lamby 150 which was kept aside at my place for 10 years. I'm based at Hyderabad & would request you to guide me accordingly
Old 21st February 2009, 12:46   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi Friends, I want to restore my Lamby 150 which was kept aside at my place for 10 years. I'm based at Hyderabad & would request you to guide me accordingly
Is the scooter also in Hyderabad?

How is the mechanical/bodily condition of it? Also does it still have the "wing" shaped monograms on the side domes? Very rare to find a Lamby with those still on!

Pics. if any, would help?
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

yes friend the vehicle has those wing shaped monograms on the side domes.They are partially broken & pieces missing. The vehicle is pretty much in Hyderabad. I have not started the vehicle for the fear of causing further damage. I would upload the pictures in a short time. Request guidance from the forum as how do I proceed. What is NOT TO BE DONE so as to keep the vehicle intact
Old 28th February 2009, 16:30   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
What is NOT TO BE DONE so as to keep the vehicle intact
Well, as we're yet to see the condition of the scoot, can't say much yet. But for starters, what is NOT TO BE DONE is sell it to some exporter who makes a killing on selling it abroad!

Anyways, about time since I gave an update on my Lambretta I guess- horncast and headset/handlebar had been wire-brushed bare.
Incidentally, the painter had been refusing to strip the old paint from the INSIDE of the horncast, scraping off only the outside and priming it with red-oxide. And it was he who'd told me to get the inside scraped off with the wire-brush. When I got it done, the guy had scraped off even the outside! He then explained to me that the whole thing is dipped in acid first, then scraped off.
So ironically, even the outside of the horncast that had been originally primed had to be redone, much to the painter's chargin!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2468.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2469.jpg

Then given to the painter, who'd primed up all the parts, the iron ones in zinc chromate, then all in red-oxide.

Yesterday, all the panels were coated with the grey "lappam" or bondo(?), then red-oxide coated again today.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2501.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2502.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2503.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2504.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2512.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2513.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2514.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2515.jpg

The thing is I'll be going out of town on Monday, returning only next sat. so was worried about the interruption in the painting, but they told me it'll take a week anyways, before the panels are ready even for the undercoat. So no worries I guess.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:09   #72
BHPian

Restored Lambrettas and Vespa

For B'lore classic scooter lovers, here's some good news. I finally met an enthusiast today who restores old scooters and has a few for sale. His prices are very reasonable IMHO, but he prefers genuine buyers. Please note, I have absolutely no commercial interest here. I am just posting this for the benefit of local genuine enthusiasts. There is a 1962 Lambretta available, asking price 30K, negotiable. I took a small ride on this bike, it was pretty good, just needed a few minor adjustments / fine-tuning IMHO. There is also a fully-resored Vespa for sale at a very reasonable price, but me, being the Lambretta freak that I am (nothing personal against Vespas!) did not remember the Vespa's details.
And I will most probably be getting my 1970 model Lambretta restored by this guy, as I have seen the quality of work on his restored bikes, and he's given me a very reasonable quote for restoring my scoot. Other than that, he's a genuine enthusiast, and is based just 2 km. from my home.
So if you're interested, just send me a PM.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:35   #73

Hey Sid,

Great to see you back. Any pics available ?

TC

Christy.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antochristy View Post
Hey Sid,

Great to see you back. Any pics available ?

TC

Christy.
Good to be back, Anto! Life goes on...
Will check if I can click some pics of the bikes for your viewing pleasure. Cheers!
Old 30th March 2009, 16:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

What a meticulous restoration step by step....the basic frame looks amusing resembling an EMU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks