Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:58   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Painting done at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
What a meticulous restoration step by step....the basic frame looks amusing resembling an EMU.
Haha! Thanks ram!

Well, nothing much to report on the mechanical front- engine is still awaiting rebuilding! The big end has been given to the lathe for some kind of facing, rather than being replaced. 'will be done only on Monday.

Good news is I managed to find some good quality STEELBIRD chain guides! Although these are all the lower ones only, I still need an upper, longer guide. But I always want Steelbird only- compare these with the rubbish quality ones from Avon (who make good rubber parts though) that I've got and you'll know why!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2830.jpg

Now for the relatively more exciting news!!

After a looooooong wait, finally the painting has been completed on MDS 4713!

Note: Attaching all pics. together rather than step by step, as I've been having a lot of trouble with the images uploading!

Before the painting begun:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2813.jpg

Attachment 119303

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2818.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2819.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2820.jpg

Pre-final coat:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2821.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2822.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2823.jpg

Post final coat:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_28311.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2832.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2834.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2838.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2835.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2836.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2837.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2839.jpg

I'd finally decided on the colours and purchased the paints (Duco PU) in the matching shades yesterday. 'had to go for a mix and match shade in both colours. I decided on a slightly darker shade of blue, instead of the earlier intended powder-blue, as I want the shade to stand out from the white that the rest of the body comes in, so I thought a slightly darker shade would be better, and decided on this- it said "Bleu telecommunication", comes from a Renault colour catalogue. But I did see Lambrettas in this shade of blue as well, so its ok I guess!

Anyways, yesterday evening the painter called me up and spoke to me, informing me that they've painted even the final coats of paint (both colours) on all the body panels! And so checked it out today......'seems to have come out pretty good!

Now that the painting is done, I've to get the scooter together and fit all the other fittings so atleast she'll be ready/complete with only the engine remaining. They'd insisted that once the painting is done, the scoot was to be taken away ASAP lest it got dirty, and besides they'll also be
carrying out their other painting works in the premises!

So the mech. who is fitting the body and electricals etc. together had it taken to his place in Secunderabad by rickshaw today.

'will be taking the parts I got from Saurabh to be fitted tomorrow.

Only things left to be painted are the seats, engine head cover/dome and stepney tyre rim and holder.

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd April 2009 at 00:11.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam - your Lambretta's turning out to be a real head turner ! And your thread can actually be published as a restoration guide - step by meticulous step ! keep it up.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:42   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Shyam - your Lambretta's turning out to be a real head turner ! And your thread can actually be published as a restoration guide - step by meticulous step ! keep it up.
Thanks for your compliments, Ravi! Yup, can't wait till I get her running!

Well, I don't really know if my restoration can serve as a guide...saurabh (SA7VA5)'s resto sure does! 'carried out some steps in my resto following his work infact!

BUT I can say that it's for the first time in ages that someone ever did such comprehensive restorations on Lambrettas in India! The painters where I got my scoot painted found it beyond their comprehension!
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:29   #79
BHPian

Wow Shyam, thatz a really amazing job. Love the blue. Waiting to see pictures of when it all comes together and probably a ride when Im down to Hyd the next time

I've put up the badges that I got from you on the scoot. Almost everything done on my scoot except I need to get the front fender changed. Mine has a lamby's.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:12   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks pat! 'glad you've put up the badges.

Have you found an original mudguard for your scoot yet?
Oh, and that reminds me- my mech. said my scoot is missing the smaller mudguard that comes inside over the front wheel; looks like a bike/moped mudguard, inside the outer one.

If you guys find one, do pick it up for me!
Old 4th April 2009, 01:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Have you found an original mudguard for your scoot yet?
Yes I have found one but not the inner one. Just have to find the time to get it painted and put it up. Also a few small cosmetic parts are missing, like the aluminum air scoop and the choke lever. My mech found a choke lever but misplaced it, hope he finds it.

Attaching a few pics on where it stands as of now. Need a little bit of work before I do the final touchup of paint.

The yellow one is my little PL170. Looks like a dwarf inbetween the jawa and the bullet.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image203.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image204.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image205.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image206.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image207.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image208.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image209.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image210.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image211.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image212.jpg  

Last edited by TuffRyder : 4th April 2009 at 01:34.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:48   #82
BHPian

Shell petrol and oil

I recently topped up my 1970 Lambretta with Shell Super petrol and Shell Advance oil (2% pre-mix), and felt a 5-10% increase in pickup and speed. However, I am concerned that this may not be good for older engines, can anyone explain if its alright to use hi-octane/enhanced performance petrol in old 2 stroke engines like Lambretta/Vespa?
Old 5th April 2009, 19:38   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post

The yellow one is my little PL170. Looks like a dwarf inbetween the jawa and the bullet.
Ah a Vespa PL170! TuffRyder can you post more pictures of this little beauty? BTW do you know what PL170 stands for - Its PayLoad 170 kgs.
Old 5th April 2009, 23:42   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Ah a Vespa PL170! TuffRyder can you post more pictures of this little beauty? BTW do you know what PL170 stands for - Its PayLoad 170 kgs.
Jai: I'l get some more pics as soon as I get some time. I really dint know what the PL stood for Thanks. I need the indicators for this scoot. My mech somehow managed to lose one of the rear ones. Its a nice little scooter to ride around ur block but I wonder how it will fare with a payload of 170 kg. I have removed the rear seat coz it was kinda struggling to pull even one person over a slight slope. I had this scoot fully worked on mechanically. It has new original pistons and the engine fully overhauled with new coils and clutchplates.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:58   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, getting back on track, here's finally an update on my MDS 4713:

'got the frame and all the major body parts to the mechanic's home to be reassembled- following Saurabh's method- slowly and steadily!

Some parts like the engine head cover, spare tyre holder etc. are yet to be painted! :(

Meanwhile, 'got the handle bar aluminium inserts buffed up. 'makes them look a world different!

Also finally got the wiring loom yesterday thanks to saurabh (not to mention the various other parts he helped me with!) so the mech. will finally begin the reassembly!

I also need to get the headlamp rim and legshield badges in brass chromed, but putting that off for later. I want the most important work to be finished before I move on to cosmetics.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2884.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2885.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2903.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2902.jpg

More pics. as work progresses.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th April 2009 at 18:04.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:20   #86
BHPian

Great Going!

Hey Stanher!

Great going mate!

You are doing a great job. It shows the passion.

And as a fellow bhpian I am always there for you and of course all others to help out with any part that I can.

Keep it up mate.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 10th April 2009, 18:15   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Saurabh! A lot of the credit goes to you of course! And now with the scoot coming together, I can see how much a help you've been with my project!

The reassembly's begun on the scoot yesterday, with the wiring kit made available. The scoot in this form resembles some kind of dog IMO!
The toolbox rubber has been improvised with a M800 door beading for now.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2916.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2917.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2918.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2919.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2920.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2922.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2923.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2924.jpg

He sure seems to work fast! I did tell him to go easy on it, following Saurabh's procedure in mind (ie. no scratches on body panels etc.)

I can't help admiring the effect of the quality parts on MDS 4713, which I'm sure is getting such a treat for the first time in it's entire life of nearly 50 years!!

'also finally the painters are done painting the remaining body-panels, including the undercoat on the inside of the horncast (grille is pending though), only left is the spare tyre rim (which is to be scraped off, then zinc primer coated, then painted, as done with the rest of the body...so will arrive later) so these also are now together with the scoot.

Engine, on the contrary, is taking a slower route. Still lying stripped up (the conrod of the big end needs replacing, I've heard of a shop that sells them. Rashid Mody is yet to get it though.)

I plan to get the entire casing (or atleast the gearbox cover) buffed before fitting.

Incidentally, I had bought a lovely kick-pedal in st.steel from a UK-based site a few years ago, which I had fitted to my Vijai Super back then. I wish I had taken it off and replaced it with an ordinary one, while selling the scoot, so now I could have fitted it to this scoot instead! I foolishly left it on the scoot that I sold!

Only hitch I face now with the bodywork is the petrol tank- he showed me traces of rust he noticed on the inside, saying that it needs to be taken care of now, before refitting.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_2915.jpg

So given the tank to a local guy who cleanses it from the inside with a chemical (he said he'll do his best to do it without harming the paint on the outside, although that's already got some scratches etc.!)

'said it'll be done by tomorrow.

Last edited by Stanher : 10th April 2009 at 18:26.
Old 11th April 2009, 21:36   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I recently topped up my 1970 Lambretta with Shell Super petrol and Shell Advance oil (2% pre-mix), and felt a 5-10% increase in pickup and speed. However, I am concerned that this may not be good for older engines, can anyone explain if its alright to use hi-octane/enhanced performance petrol in old 2 stroke engines like Lambretta/Vespa?
Not received any answers yet on this one. Today, I topped up my 2000 model TVS Suzuki Samurai with Shell Super Unleaded, but no pre-mix oil, and again felt an increase in performance, so I'm not imagining things. Anyone with a two-stroke bike has felt this performance increase? Is it ok for the engine? Hope to receive some answers this time!
Old 13th April 2009, 10:43   #89
BHPian

Great Going

Hey Stanher - you are progressing way faster than I am. Reason No.1 is that I am assembling my machine myself so I can do it only when I am free and for 2 I dont want to re-do things so am taking care to fix them right the first time - FRFT!

Your machine's coming along fine - jsut a suggestion - please put a soft cloth or rubber mat under the rear end of the frame or the paint will get scrapped and scratched while it rubs against the floor.

Also - do up your fuel tank now from inside or it will always be a pain to do it later once the whole machine is assembled. Taking out the fuel tank once the air cleaner box is installed is a painfull task and one ends up with scratches on the tank.

Use Phospohoric Acid and a few sharp edged pebbles in the tank - that will really clear out the tank of ALL rust inside.

Also your cables are overlapping - try to keep them straight without overlapping. Check out some of the foreign sites for assembly procedure of cables and their routing.

I can see that the front crossmember is mis-aligned good idea to align it now but you will have to be careful to match it to the holes on the floor board. If holes were drilled out wth the crossmember misaligned then aligning it now will means that your floor board holes will not match with the crossmembers and hence you will have a problem on hand. If what I am saying is correct then leave it as it is.

Your tool-box rubber beading has been ordered so you will have to remove the tool-box anyway.

Go easy - my suggestion. Fix your engine in the meantime. Do your electricals. Fix your carb - overhaul it now. Do the front end completely. Then come back to these parts once again.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 13th April 2009, 13:36   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Not received any answers yet on this one. Today, I topped up my 2000 model TVS Suzuki Samurai with Shell Super Unleaded, but no pre-mix oil, and again felt an increase in performance, so I'm not imagining things. Anyone with a two-stroke bike has felt this performance increase? Is it ok for the engine? Hope to receive some answers this time!
Hi Sid,
Even I had this same doubt while filling my 118NE with high octance petrol. In principle this fuel variant has higher calorific value and burns faster. And hence the improvement in pick-up. But the temperature needle rises more with high octane fuel than in the regular case, indicating more engine heating. As two-wheelers do not have a temperature measurement, and the cooling fins and cooling fans (in scooters) have been designed for the fuel used about 50 - 60 years back. In my opinion it us better to confine ourselves to the regular fuel for such old-timers and vintage vehicles.
-Ilango

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks