Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:03   #121
BHPian

Guys,
Having interest in buying a Vijai Super in Pune, I started looking for one lately. Last week I came across an offer for a 1983 mark -I for Rs 3300/-. Registered in Pimpri, but validity expired. This sum includes some new and old spares which the guy had procured for future replacement. A flywheel + stator plate, engine mounting bushes, gear and accelerator rotors (the plastic part on which the cable is fixed), front suspension spring, rod, steel balls, a pair of rubber bushes, stand foot bushes, etc.

He had replaced the 2 trangular seats with a front and rear seats from Bajaj.

On enquiry, a registeration agent quoted Rs 2000/- for registeration renewal, insurance and name transfer. Apart from this, the carburettor needs to be serviced or replaced, and the scooter needs a new coat of paint after some tinkering work. Thogh the RTO agent said that it does'nt require a paint, still I like to get that done.

I need advice on if I could go with this offer or not?? Urgent guys..

-Ilango
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:27   #122
BHPian

Ilango: That price sure seems to be a good one. At least for the Bangalore market rates and Im sure itz the same in most parts of India now. So you can safely go ahead and pick it up before it lands in the hands of some dealer who will export it to some innocent English guy under the guise of an SX or series III (I so hate those guys).
Old 5th June 2009, 17:32   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guys,

About time sicne I updated the progress on my '60 s2.

Sorry for the 'radio silence' but was real busy last month with exams....then PC at home conked out following a replacement CPU!

So back in form again!

Last work done on it was getting the entire engine casing wire-brushed and parts like kickshaft pedal, gearchanger plate etc. galvanised.
The casing cover has been buffed, also the head has been wire-brushed and cleaned. They all look so much better now!

BEFORE:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3047.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3048.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3049.jpg

AFTER:

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-071.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-072.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-074.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-075.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-076.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-077.jpg

Plus, on the advice of the buffing guy, I had the kickpedal sprayed in what they call as "clear" so the sheen doesn't go off due to dirt stains etc. in future. I hope it's worth it!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-078.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-079.jpg

'also got more nice parts from Saurabh (details later), so now everything that was required is now available and the restoration needs to be completed.
The mechanic however, has had to go out of town this week (should be back today or tomorrow) so things are again at a standstill for now!

Last edited by Stanher : 5th June 2009 at 17:36.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:58   #124
BHPian

Hey Shyam, the crankcase is looking real good! Here's some update on my resto for MEB 1222 (1970 API Lambretta). The engine is completely overhauled. All paint/primer coats have been stripped away, down to bare metal, as you can see in the pics. Next the bike will be reassembled and sent for tinkering. Any remaining paint will be burnt off, and dents will be removed. Some unnecessary holes on the body will be filled up, and a few new ones will be drilled. Chassis welds will be ground down, and slight reinforcement will be done for the cross-members, after ensuring that they are straight. More soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image837.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image838.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image839.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image840.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image841.jpg  

Old 8th June 2009, 08:50   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks sid!
Your scoot too seems to be coming really good! BTW, make sure they also scrape off the paint from the inside of the horncast- many painters refuse to do so, saying that it's unnecessary and so on!
Old 10th June 2009, 17:52   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In case this is of help to any of you:

vinayakthite at gmail dot com

Quote:
Subject: Lambretta LD Spares

>
> To,
> Team BHP,
> I have all the parts of old Lambretta LD,except
> chassis,front panel(leg shield),head lamp cowl.I want to sell it.If any
> one is interested please mail me.If this message is inappropriate kindly
> ignore it.
>
> Thanking you.
>
> Yours
> Vinayak Thite
>
Old 11th June 2009, 20:18   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks sid!
Your scoot too seems to be coming really good! BTW, make sure they also scrape off the paint from the inside of the horncast- many painters refuse to do so, saying that it's unnecessary and so on!
Thanks for reminding! Yeah, the painter gave me the same story...nobody does it, not required, etc. The truth is its a tough job scraping off the paint, so they try to take shortcuts. I told him that its my scooter, and thats the way I want it done, and I'm paying him to do a "thorough" job. Also sourced out the most powerful paint stripper I could lay my hands on, and gave him a litre to complete the job, and ease his work. Last I heard, the paint stripping was going faster, cos of the strong stripper eating up the paint. After the paint is stripped to bare metal, there'll be a coat of primer applied, and I hope that it goes in for tinkering etc. in the next 3 days. Will keep you posted!
Old 19th June 2009, 22:48   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Once more back in action on the restoration front on my '60 s2! With the mech. being out of town for a week, things got put off again!

But now going full speed ahead!

Following the buffing and wirebrush-cleaning of the crankcase, engine reassembly has begun.

Gear wheels all in, with new "clutch dog", new bearings and seals being fitted too. I need a clutch-puller for fixing in the clutch plates though. Not available with this mech. Another old-timer mechanic I know of said he has one lying around somewhere in his shop, and can try and find it by Monday.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3182.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3183.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3187.jpg

Chain in, with new chain guides (both STEELBIRD) and then the big-end/crankshaft, which had to realigned again until found absolutely in order.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3188.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3189.jpg

The kickpedal piston was found to be jammed. So the shaft was taken out, then the piston taken out and sanded/oiled, then fitted back in. 'works fine now.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3190.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3191.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3193.jpg

A few of the holes for the casing cover studs have lost their threads, one of them even being sealed with M-seal earlier!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3192.jpg

'need to now fit the magnet and coil stator plate- the latter he insists on refitting the old one that was on the engine. 'will take it tomorrow.
These are going to be re-threaded so all the studs will be present.

Also the old foundation bushes are to be taken out and replaced with the new ones, which I understand, have to be heated to fit inside the hoops.

More as the work progresses.

Last edited by Stanher : 19th June 2009 at 22:51.
Old 20th June 2009, 10:43   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I need a clutch-puller for fixing in the clutch plates though. Not available with this mech.
Hi,
Years back when I had to replace the clutch plates for my Dad'd scooter I had to fabricate one by myself. The mechanics around my town are not good at Lambretta and neither do they have proper tools for it.

Fabricating a puller is just a very easy job. Take the chain case to any arc welder (or grill works). With the chain case you know where to locate the holes for fixing the clutch puller and also the centre line for the clutch plate actuation. Hope the attached pics adds more clarity to the above explanation. You might have to take with you a 3 inch long 10 ir 12 mm bolt nut with you, so that you can weld the nut to the centre of the puller.

Try this out if you dont find one.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-clutch_puller.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3187.jpg  

Old 21st June 2009, 20:27   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the tip, ilango! I will try and get one made too if the guy can't find one.
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:14   #131
BHPian

Here's my 1960 Lambretta getting restored, picked it up a couple of months back and should be completed in another 2-3 weeks.

I dont have the pictures of how it looked originally, since i was not there when the vehicle was picked up.

It is being restored completely, with all new stuff wherever possible and the color combination of white and yellow - look at the hub pic of the yellow color in reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1785.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1790.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1789.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1793.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1797.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1799.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1802.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-101_1803.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2009, 23:30   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to find another '60 Lambretta being restored!

Good going, srisha! However, if you're setting store strictly by originality, the hubs were painted white only.

The only "coloured" parts on the '60 s2 were the horncast and side-panels.
Old 24th June 2009, 23:32   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

More updates on my s2- gearbox finally assembled and working.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3213.jpg

Also please note I made a little mistake in my last post referring to the 2 sealed holes in the casing as those meant for the casing studs- turns out those are actually meant for the silencer bracket mounting, and have larger size bolts fitted. Hence are larger than the engine stud holes.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3214.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3227.jpg

New engine mounts are also fitted in place.

Clutch puller also (thankfully) found by the mech. eventually!

I do plan to get one made for myself though.

More updates to follow- having trouble with the net so not able to upload too many pics. in one post.

Last edited by Stanher : 24th June 2009 at 23:44.
Old 28th June 2009, 22:30   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Engine reassembled and fully working. Bore/piston etc. all fitted and so has the stator plate and magneto after being recharged last week.

Only needs a new plug and oil, besides being connected with the cables, silencer etc. and it's ready to fire!

'also bought 2 brand new tyres (MRF Nylogrip, "old" type, without the vertical groove running along the centre, which I was advised against) with 2 new CEAT tubes to go on. One of the old tyres that was still good will be used as the stepney.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3245.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3246.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3247.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3267.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3268.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3269.jpg
Old 28th June 2009, 23:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

Bhai Wah, Shyam.. I can just imagine the old girl firing up . What's the status on the body panels et al ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks