Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:32   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Finallllyyyyyyy!! :)

Finally back with some good news! MY 1960 Lambretta s2, MDS 4713, after many failed (and costly!) attempts at starting up, finally succeeded, firing up with 2-3 kicks by the mechanic, as I'd seen the other day!

The sound was sheer music to my ears!!

'needs to now be started again and left to idle uninterrupted for 2 hours until the carbon builds up so it would then be really ready to run.

'have even taken a brief video of the same uploaded on youtube:

With this, I hope the restoration goes on to finish faster- still have the nasty rear frame bend to sort out!

More updates as work progresses (this time really, I hope!)

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd September 2009 at 23:43.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:28   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Finally back with some good news! MY 1960 Lambretta s2, MDS 4713, after many failed (and costly!) attempts at starting up, finally succeeded, firing up with 2-3 kicks by the mechanic, as I'd seen the other day!

The sound was sheer music to my ears!!

'needs to now be started again and left to idle uninterrupted for 2 hours until the carbon builds up so it would then be really ready to run.
Congrats Shyam!!!
Old 24th September 2009, 19:01   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good going, Shyam! Good to see the problems getting sorted out one by one. So the bore you got from Arun is being used? What percentage oil are you mixing while running in the engine? Any particular brand?
Old 24th September 2009, 19:59   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Good going, Shyam! Good to see the problems getting sorted out one by one. So the bore you got from Arun is being used? What percentage oil are you mixing while running in the engine? Any particular brand?
Thanks Sid & Ilango!

Um, I did not get a bore from Arun- just a piston!

Ironically, the guy said it too wasn't suitable for the old bore, which needed an even deeper facing, and happened to, by chance, get a bigger oversize (0.8) one at his local source's shop itself....after all the trouble I (and arun) went through in getting a new piston!!

As for the oil, I'm afraid I left it to the guy to buy it, being busy with work! I just had enough time on Monday, being a holiday, to check out the scoot after it was started.

'called him again today- he says the painters/denters (where I got the scoot done up) are busy whitewashing the shop because of the festival coming up, so not advisable to take the scoot there now! So will have to be after Dasara! :sigh:
Old 25th September 2009, 21:28   #230
BHPian

The number plate stickering on my scoot was not to my liking, so I stormed the net to find some designs. Finally, I settled on "UK Number Plate" font. I also got a couple of Lambretta stickers cut. The one on the number plate is stuck a little crooked, I'll get that redone this weekend.
FYI, you can download Lambretta font and UK number plate font from the net. Lots of other cool fonts are there too, you just have to search
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00856.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00857.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 25th September 2009, 23:13   #231
Senior - BHPian

Hey your Scoot number plates looks super now. Have you changed the front number stickers too?
Old 26th September 2009, 10:20   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Hey your Scoot number plates looks super now. Have you changed the front number stickers too?
Thanks, Arun! The 3rd picture if of the front legshield stickering. Really suits the bike
Old 26th September 2009, 11:23   #233
BHPian

Helmet

Hi Sid,
Nice stickerings.
Well, even I got a white helmet. Yesterday I took the scooter to office, and felt like everyone was looking at me. For me it seemed like they were looking at an alien in all white & white.
I got a Vega helmet, but the ISI sticker is missing. Any idea if it is just the sticker missing or Vega helmets do not comply ISI standards.

-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc02132.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc02137.jpg  

Old 26th September 2009, 22:25   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sid,
Nice stickerings.
Well, even I got a white helmet. Yesterday I took the scooter to office, and felt like everyone was looking at me. For me it seemed like they were looking at an alien in all white & white.
I got a Vega helmet, but the ISI sticker is missing. Any idea if it is just the sticker missing or Vega helmets do not comply ISI standards.

-Ilango
Thanks, Ilango. Not sure about the Vega helmets, there is a thread dedicated to helmets on TBHP.

Some of you (Amol, Shyam, Ilango) liked the mirrors that were mounted on my scooter. My supplier has just received stock. Mounting these mirrors on a Lambretta requires some extra work, like welding. I will take pics of my mirror mountings and post them for your reference tomorrow. PM me if you want mirrors.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:13   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The number plate stickering on my scoot was not to my liking, so I stormed the net to find some designs. Finally, I settled on "UK Number Plate" font. I also got a couple of Lambretta stickers cut.
Cool! While I would've thought the original "Bangalore style" stencil lettering suited the scoot, these are definitely better than the 2D/3D font the earlier stickers had! Any pics. with these on the scoot taken from a distance?
Old 28th September 2009, 12:28   #236
BHPian

This now suits the scooter! The lambretta sticker has also come out nice.

Quote:
The number plate stickering on my scoot was not to my liking, so I stormed the net to find some designs. Finally, I settled on "UK Number Plate" font. I also got a couple of Lambretta stickers cut. The one on the number plate is stuck a little crooked, I'll get that redone this weekend.
FYI, you can download Lambretta font and UK number plate font from the net. Lots of other cool fonts are there too, you just have to search
Old 26th October 2009, 21:57   #237
BHPian

Dear Sidman,

I've started Resoring my LI-150 "1960" & LY150 "1985", I'm finding real hard times in finding the spares like Speedo meter, Taillight, Rubber parts, kick ratchet, packings and all.... can you help me with it? if some shop which takes order over mail? need your help please !
Old 27th October 2009, 10:09   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Dear Sidman,

I've started Resoring my LI-150 "1960" & LY150 "1985", I'm finding real hard times in finding the spares like Speedo meter, Taillight, Rubber parts, kick ratchet, packings and all.... can you help me with it? if some shop which takes order over mail? need your help please !
There is no single source where you'll get all your parts. Since you are in Pune, I suggest you first consult Karlosdeville and Ilangop to find out where parts are available. You'll never get a new speedometer locally. Your 1960 scooter will need a Veglia speedometer, which will need to be imported. For the Lamby, find a couple of speedos at the local scrap market, and give them to a shop which refurbishes meters. Ask him to take the best parts from both meters and build you a speedo. For the 1960 Lambretta, I suggest you stay away from local parts, and try getting them imported, or get export-quality parts from Delhi. For Delhi parts, contact SAV75 (Saurabh). I'm pretty sure you'll find some spares in Mumbai too, but I cannot confirm. All the best for your restorations!
Old 27th October 2009, 14:32   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Dear Sidman,

Start by posting pics of your scooter so that we can guide you precisely, as mentioned by sidman, this model the cosmetics definately have to be imported from Europe and they are not cheap for instance a grey rubber set can cost almost 7K..and that is just the begining.

Last edited by the mole : 27th October 2009 at 14:33.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:56   #240
BHPian

Hi Lambyman -for some good export quality material from Delhi you can reach out to me at my e-mail id - vats.saurabh@gmail.com

Should be able to get you quite a bit from Delhi

Cheers!

Saurabh

Most Viewed