Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 14:58   #406
BHPian

Hi

Can help you with the following:

Veglia - Made in India Speedo - 550
Rear Grille - 800 - Alloy
Headlight Rim & Reflector with Italian Glass - 3500 - the glass is imported Italian with Rubber sealing beading

Cheers

SV
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:38   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, came across this new challenge on s2:

While driving it, I heard a strange noise emnating from the rear.

On opening the side-panel on the right today, I found the rear tyre looks like it's been brushing against something!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5948.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5949.jpg

'tried checking what it could be, from the pic. I took, it isnt touching the engine/gearbox casing at all!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5950.jpg

Nor the rear shock either. Even the wheel isnt loose or anything! So what could the tyre be brushing against?? Could it be the rear mudguard, but then I doubt that'd come down so low as to make a mark in the middle of the wall! I rarely even carry passengers on the scoot!

Any advice

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd May 2010 at 15:39.
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:03   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

On opening the side-panel on the right today, I found the rear tyre looks like it's been brushing against something!

Attachment 341241

Attachment 341242

'tried checking what it could be, from the pic. I took, it isnt touching the engine/gearbox casing at all!

Attachment 341243

Nor the rear shock either. Even the wheel isnt loose or anything! So what could the tyre be brushing against?? Could it be the rear mudguard, but then I doubt that'd come down so low as to make a mark in the middle of the wall! I rarely even carry passengers on the scoot!

Any advice
Why dont you run it with the stand on and see where is it touching?
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:33   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Why dont you run it with the stand on and see where is it touching?
But how is it possible to run it on gears with the stand on, since it stands on the rear wheel? Unless you mean, I have someone else holding it up simultaneously I guess?
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:39   #410
Senior - BHPian

Shyam, try this- apply black paint on the sidewall, spin the wheels with the vehicle stationary, if you don't see paint being transferred to parts in vicinity, try this again in actual driving conditions, i hope you will find the culprit.

Spike
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:43   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Spike. 'will try that out!

'hope the result turns out to be negative!
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:06   #412
BHPian

Quote:
But how is it possible to run it on gears with the stand on, since it stands on the rear wheel? Unless you mean, I have someone else holding it up simultaneously I guess?
Yes, place it on 2 bricks so that you get the elevation.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:26   #413
BHPian

Hi Shyam,
Is that the rear brake cable that touches the tyre? Is the tyre inflated enough, else it can bulge out sideways a little and rub against the closest projecting parts.
Initially I had this problem as I had out the 100/90 10" tyre that comes on Honda Dio.
So I had added 2 more small washers behind the cone to create the offset just enough for the tyre not to rub.
There use to be a small steel plate kind of thing that holds the rear brake cable. The plate is located under the part where the cable adjuster for clutch & gear cables are located. Please check if that thing is in place. Sorry, could'nt find a picture.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:26   #414
BHPian

Quote:

Check the rear wheel for any wobbling. Ilango, Srisha and Spike's recommendations are great too...let us know what you find.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:23   #415
BHPian

Hi Stanher

In all probability its your rear brake cable which seems to be fouling with the rear tire.

I hope you have installed the rear brake holder clip under the gear and clutch cable mount on top of the engine. IN case you dont have one I will send you one. Install that and that should solve the problem.

The other problem could be that the gear connecting plate could be fouling on its far side.

Check these two.

There can not be anything else if you have mounted the rear wheel properly.

You dont need to run the scooter in a gear when trying to check for fouling.

Raise it by putting a wooden block under the rear of the engine and turn the wheen by hand in neutral. You will know where the noise is coming from and will also show you the black rubber deposit from the tire being worn out.

Also please check that the rear wheel rim is running true and is not bent or running un-true. In case it is running un-true it would mean that the tire comes close enough to the rear shocker or the rear brake cable or the fear connecting plate to rub. But since the wear pattern on the tire side is pretty uniform I suspect the rear brake cable fouling with the side of the tire.

Cheers!

Sv

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 3rd May 2010 at 11:25.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:10   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Is that the rear brake cable that touches the tyre? Is the tyre inflated enough, else it can bulge out sideways a little and rub against the closest projecting parts.
Initially I had this problem as I had out the 100/90 10" tyre that comes on Honda Dio.

There use to be a small steel plate kind of thing that holds the rear brake cable. The plate is located under the part where the cable adjuster for clutch & gear cables are located. Please check if that thing is in place.
Thanks ilango.
From the marks on the tyre, doesnt seem to be due to a cable, so I'll takle the second guess of the gear selector 'patti'. Yes, the tyre was a bit under-inflated until I got it inflated the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
I hope you have installed the rear brake holder clip under the gear and clutch cable mount on top of the engine. IN case you dont have one I will send you one. Install that and that should solve the problem.

The other problem could be that the gear connecting plate could be fouling on its far side.

Check these two.

Also please check that the rear wheel rim is running true and is not bent or running un-true. In case it is running un-true it would mean that the tire comes close enough to the rear shocker or the rear brake cable or the fear connecting plate to rub.
Thanks Saurabh, do you have a picture of the clip so I could check?

'will check the rim too in motion.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:24   #417
BHPian

OK here is the Rear Brake Cable Locating Plate.

This is mounted under the Cable Adjuster Support Block on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-14_38_cablelocatingplate_ma.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-14_37_cableadjsupportblock_.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2010, 14:35   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
OK here is the Rear Brake Cable Locating Plate.

This is mounted under the Cable Adjuster Support Block on the engine.
Yes the block I have. 'should have the clip too, let me check.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:45   #419
BHPian

Hey guys,
looking for parts for lambrettas:
Airscoop gaskets, Taillight gaskets, Bridge rubbers, kick bump stop
Centre bridge
API aluminium petrol levers and choke levers
Metal Speedo drive/worm set
Anyone have any leads?

Can help someone out with the following NOS items:

Lamby/Vijai mats (350 a pc) I have one each
Silencer (U/A NOS), Bend Pipe and Tail Pipe (Full assembly for 900)
Headlight assembly U/A NOS (300)
Rear hub Special Bearing (375)
API Speedo NOS (475)
Airhose cup and breather valve (50)
And more parts, ask.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:37   #420
BHPian

Vijai/Ser 2 Switcharoo

Found air scoop rubber gaskets and one metal speedo worm and an aluminium choke. yay!
Also finally found an API original gear mutta.. These have a widely spaced 1 2 3 4 marking like the original. Aftermarkets usually show 4 when you're only on 3rd gear because it's so close together.

Ok I have an important question. Obviously the vijai engines are better than the lambretta S2 engines right? So my question is, what aspect of the engines changes its performance?

So I have the following question:
- My engine casing is marked with the original Li150 serial number. Can this same casing fit on a Vijai engine? I'd basically love to have a vijai's performance but without having to get into messes with the RTO and papers.
-Alternatively if I have to change the entire engine including the casing, carb, silencer, magneto/stator and cylinder, are there any other parts I'd have to change to get the performance of a vijai?

Hope someone can enlighten me.
Thanks!

Last edited by insaneinsaan : 4th June 2010 at 10:39. Reason: forgot to mention magneto

Most Viewed