Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance

There is a thread for Lambretta Scooter Lovers, so how about a discussion dedicated to restoring and maintaining? Stanher is restoring his 1960 Lambretta, and I'm restoring my 1970 model. I plan to document the entire restoration, and post text and photos here of the process. Maybe it will help someone who plans to restore.
Sidman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2008, 22:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...vers-here.html
Old 14th July 2008, 13:10   #3
BHPian

Read my post again, please

Ummm, thanks, but I suggest you read my previous post again. I'm well aware of the thread for which you posted the link.
Sidman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2008, 23:34   #4
BHPian

12 Volt Electrical Conversion

The 6 volt Lambretta headlight is too little to light up a dark road. Here's how you can convert to 12 Volts:
Get the stator plate rewired for 12 V at a good auto electrical shop. I got an original SIL stator plate, and got it rewired. In B'lore, Ruby Auto Electricals, Krumbigal Rd. is highly recommended. If you are installing a 12 V battery as well, let them know. You will also need a rectifier. Ruby Elec has a heavy-duty one for around Rs 325. But you can easily make do with the rectifier from a TVS Suzuki Samurai or Kawasaki Bajaj KB100, which costs much less.
The rewiring cost was Rs 300.
Coming next...using a 12V battery, bulbs amd horn.
Stator Plate before and after Rewiring:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-p1010010a.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00121.jpg  

Old 27th July 2008, 22:22   #5
BHPian

I got this 1970 Lambretta LI 150 Series 2 model in early June 2008
through an ad on Team-BHP. You can see some photos in Sidman's Gallery Hall. It has been maintained well, and all major parts are in great condition. I began this thread to document the restoration of the scooter, so it could be of help to others who want to do a similar resto. This is not a strict restoration, there will be some minor mods as well.
The scooter will be completely repainted and overhauled. The work will
begin when the monsoons are over (Sept).
For now, some minor work has been done:
Silencer (carbon residue removed)
New parts fitted:
All cables
All bulbs
All locks
Spaco Dell'Orto MB19BS carb
Air Filter: Vijai Super
Engine kill switch
Reconditioned API speedo
Aluminium choke tap: difficult to find these, only plastic petrol/choke
taps are available
Legshield studs
Brake light switch
Headlight/horn switch assembly: old assmebly's contents were in pieces
Fuel Tank flap

Next, I will give you exact details about what is planned for this
restoration.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:37   #6
BANNED

Sidman glad to know that you had the coils rewound at Ruby. What rating is it now and which bulb are you using? Hows the lighting?
Old 27th July 2008, 22:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Sidman glad to know that you had the coils rewound at Ruby. What rating is it now and which bulb are you using? Hows the lighting?
Ruby elec. converted the original 6-point 6V stator plate to 12V, not sure about exact rating. Not yet fitted the new electricals. I got a TVS Suzuki Samurai rectifier, 12V horn and bulbs, and a couple of 12V Halogen headlamp bulbs, of different brands. Will also be fitting an Amaron battery in the toolbox. Hope to get it done next weekend.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guys, after much procrastinating, I decided to add some more colour to this thread by starting off with my own restoration story!

I bought this reasonably decent 1960 Li150 series 2 (italian) in Madras in June this year.
It was initially fitted with later, clip-on type side-panels, which I had replaced with the correct panels (although taken off a series 1 I'm told) hence the colour difference.
Besides that, its quite complete with respect to the body panels (original horncast, mudguard etc.) but missing all the cosmetics which I'm sourcing out as well.
Mechanically though, its running quite rough. Currently fitted with a mikuni carb, the pick-up is gradual and doesnt come with forceful/fast throttle. Also gears have the usual play in them.
On bringing it to hyderabad, I decided to first proceed with getting it properly done up, especially repainting it in a proper period colour combo.
I found a good tinker, painter and mechanic all in one compound who are all said to be well-known, with help of my friend Mr. Rashid Mody, and have given it for being done up, my intention originally being to get it ready by 15th august for the rally but am told its doubtful it'll be done by then. Let's see!

So far, the body panels have been all stripped off, then they are going to be scraped of the paint and then primered to be made ready for tinkering.

I plan to be there to supervise the scraping as I want to know where all the holes are for the original fittings (legshield badge, rear grille etc.) so I can fit them accordingly. Ive managed to source a few of the original stuff like the aluminium housed tail-light, rear grille, speedometer etc. for now. Awaiting news on the rest of the parts.
Plus also received quite a lot of spares from my good friend sidman, including 2 brand new (SIL made though) rims and SPACO/Dellorto carb.!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0776.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0925.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0926.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0932.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0933.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-001.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-004.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-picture-005.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 28th July 2008 at 23:10.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2008, 23:20   #9
BHPian

Nice work going on there. Brings back old memories. Used to come home from school on one of these. All the best for your restoration projects
Old 29th July 2008, 19:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Good old memories for me too. After all, we had three Lambrettas- I learnt driving a two-wheeler with a Lambretta. The scooter is very sturdy and its body well balanced. In the looks department it was Italian design at its zenith.
The later Lambrettas of the 1970's had unreliable components and many nuts and bolts even were not of good quality.These sold well till the monopolistic market was favouring its demand. Demand slackened soon after the entry of the Vijai Super and its siblings from many states, under different brand names. Automobile Products of India Ltd introduced the Lamby 150 sometime in 1978 after the collaboration with Innocenti ended. The Lamby 150 sales hit a speedbreaker after a few years, with so many brands available apart from Bajaj and Priya.
The Lambrettas with Italian components marketed in the 1960's still stand out!
Stanher and Sidman all the best with your projects in hand!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th July 2008 at 19:20.
Old 29th July 2008, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well guys, after much procrastinating, I decided to add some more colour to this thread by starting off with my own restoration story!
Wow! Stanher's got some awesome spares there
You plan to retain that legshield box? Not sure if it belongs there.
Old 29th July 2008, 22:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Wow! Stanher's got some awesome spares there
You plan to retain that legshield box? Not sure if it belongs there.
Nope, I'm not retaining the legshiled box. Yes its a (rather cheaply if seen in the "flesh") fabricated one.
As I'm not going to be using this scooter regularly I wouldnt require a legshield box, although I might go for a rexine bag. 'just considering.

Here are more pic.s taken today, with the body fully stripped.

Signs of corrosion seen where the (non-original) spare tyre holder and rear numberplate were, mainly effects of the madras climate. Of course, there was some welding done on the inside of the rear end to fit the hooks for the side-panel handles, so that added to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0934.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0935.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 29th July 2008 at 22:28.
Old 31st July 2008, 23:23   #13
BHPian

Resto has not begun yet, waiting for the monsoons to finish. Minor work has been done, as you read in an earlier post. The spare wheel holder was removed to be converted to hold the spare wheel in the classic Lambretta "slanted" position. Coming weekend, hope to get the 12V electrical conversion done.
Post-monsoon, this is what will happen with the resto:
My mechanic will be dismantling the whole thing, at my premises. This is to keep the parts safe, as I've heard of too many resto projects where parts go "missing" at the garage. All painted parts will be scraped/sandblasted, tinkered if required, and given a coat of primer. Then a few coats of ICI Duco paint. For now, I am keen on the normal NC paint variety. The PU variety has a very limited colour selection, I could not find anything close to the colours I wanted. The shades that were closest to what I wanted are Superior White and either Racing Blue or Tata Blue. Even the tubular frame and fork will be stripped, primered and painted.
Does anyone know if any treatment is required for the inside of the tubular frame? Why I ask is because I have often seen rust inside the frames of the bicycles I used to ride back in school days.
The colours I have chosen are not Lambretta Series 2 colours, but were used on Series 3 bikes. Here's a good link to find official Lambretta colours: http://www.mmlambretta.com/paints/paintcodes.html. Check out the paint chart too: http://www.mmlambretta.com/paints/lammylechcolors.JPG.
There are some parts which need chromeplating, and thanks to Sankar I got a couple of suggestions on where to get it done. Some aluminium parts might require anodizing, or whatever is done to make old aluminium look new (I think its called anodizing, does anyone know if this is right?).
The engine / cylinder will be cleaned and rebuilt.
We'll be replacing the parts subjected to high wear and tear, like Brake lining, Outer cables, Clutch plates, Timing Chain.
Other parts that need to be replaced are the Floor runners, Floor mat, Mirror, Handle grips, headlight reflector and assembly.
Like on Stanher's scooter, all the original trim was missing on my scooter. Temporarily fixed some legshield studs, but looking for better ones. Managed to get the Lambretta LI 150 monogram for the legshield. Getting the API horncast badge from Stanher. My mechanic sourced the aluminium rear grille. The rear grille was originally fitted on the early Series 2 Italian scooters. Don't think API Lambrettas had a rear grille. I have ordered for an aluminium tail-light assembly like Stanher's, and under-seat air scoop (oversized). I've read that a larger sized air scoop can improve the Lambretta engine's performance.
The tyres will be replaced with CEAT Secura Neo scooter tyres.
Modifications-wise, the electricals will be converted to 12V. Amaron battery will be fitted on a tray mounted in the toolbox. Am also considering a K&N air filter, front dampeners, and Mikuni carb with larger jets.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-gbacklightunits2.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_0928.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambrettali.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-legshield_monogram.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-rear_grille1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Sidman : 31st July 2008 at 23:36.
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:54   #14
BHPian

Some more work was done on the scooter today. Fixed the 12V stator plate and replaced the bulbs. Mechanic said the rectifier is not required. Could not fit the battery, as that requires some more work. Will be fabricating and mounting a battery holder in the toolbox.

The lighting after conversion has to be seen to be believed! Even on dark roads, I could actually see most of the bumps and potholes on the road, thanks to the 12V halogen up-front. Of course, a new headlight assembly was fitted, so the new reflector adds to the excellent lighting.

Instead of modifying the spare wheel holder to the classic Lambretta "slanted" position, we got a Vijai Super holder, and fitted it. I like it, as it holds the spare closer to the body, unlike the original 4-stick holder. The number plate was replaced, as old one was wrong size and therefore made lots of rattling.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00146.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00144.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00145.jpg  

Last edited by Sidman : 2nd August 2008 at 23:04.
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:47   #15
BANNED

Sidman.. if you're into scooter modification ie., for more power you have pretty good options in Europe and UK but parts are expensive. I had a Chetak in 2000 - 2001 it was hopped up and pretty fast for a scoot, almost as fast as a RX135 ideas of course came from some scooter forums in the west.

Most Viewed