Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 21:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes, it is to be completely restored here, as per bluestraveller's request. Following that, it will be shipped over to his home in Bangalore.
How would it be shipped?

Quote:
But unfortunately he was held up with other urgent work elswhere so couldn't make it. I was disappointed as was hoping to hang around and watch today, being my only free day!
Anyways, will see this week.
If you are referring to Ahmed, then I owe you a big apology as I had taken up almost his entire day and the output was negligible

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 4th October 2009 at 21:09.
Old 4th October 2009, 21:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
How would it be shipped?
Aha! You got me there this time!

Well, to be precise, I meant shipped as in transported over to bangalore.
Even if it turns out good enough to be driven over, I don't know of anyone who'd take the chance. I couldn't even I wanted to, being working as of now. Too stressful too (IMHO.)

Quote:
If you are referring to Ahmed, then I owe you a big apology as I had taken up almost his entire day and the output was negligible
No need for you to apologise! In fact, I was not aware that he'd committed to your task, as he hadn't informed me initially when I spoke to him this morning. It was only when I'd called him again that he told me. Had he done so earlier, I wouldn't have taken it otherwise.
He did apologize profusely thereafter and promised he would take it on tomorrow should the weather be as sunny as today.

Anyways, hota hai....zindagi hai.....duniya hai.....et cetera...!

Last edited by Stanher : 4th October 2009 at 21:56.
Old 4th October 2009, 21:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know of anyone who'd take the chance. I couldn't even I wanted to, being working as of now. Too stressful too (IMHO.)
I would BUNK office any day to drive. Let me know if you still need drivers
Old 5th October 2009, 13:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is to be completely restored here, as per bluestraveller's request. Following that, it will be shipped over to his home in Bangalore.

Steering box too will be done up later, following the rear suspension. Speaking of which, the guy was supposed to have turned up today at the garage (even though it is closed after noon on sundays, we could still work on the car there with the garage owner's permission.) But unfortunately he was held up with other urgent work elswhere so couldn't make it. I was disappointed as was hoping to hang around and watch today, being my only free day!
Anyways, will see this week.

Stanher i'm sorry to say but don't get me wrong i don't think the quality of work dosen't seem that bright.I know you have a shortage of time and limited resources.But well but at what cost If you are doing the car fully and a onetime job then my friend you need to do it a bit systematically.Don't get me wrong just think that you should spend more time ,money and energy than required.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Stanher i'm sorry to say but don't get me wrong i don't think the quality of work seem that bright.I know you have a shortage of time and limited resources.But well but at what cost If you are doing the car fully and a onetime job then my friend you need to do it a bit systematically.Don't get me wrong just think that you should spend more time ,money and energy than required.
Understood sir. And in that case, do suggest as to what further I need to do to improve this job. Like you, I too want it to turn out good, considering the trust my friend has placed in me. So, I'm all ears! Seriously!
As I said, any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Incidentally, I've already spoken to a couple of people about sourcing phosphoric acid. I first want to try it out on the suspension parts then the body after the paint is stripped off. 'should be able to get it in a day or two.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

First of all yiou need to for doing the rear suspension.

I would say ypu should start with the body first.get the doors opened and the different trims,bonnet,trunk lid,remove seats and then just start getting the corroded portions cut out and get new sheets of metal and get them replaced.In the mean while the mechanical section i would say get the engine out and do that first and get it started.Try and aim for finishing the body and the engine at the same time then you scrape the paint to bare metal and get primers put.then i would say you should start getting all the missing stuff and get an electrician to make new wireing for the whole car.And make out a list of what all you need as and when the work is progressing.We would take it furthur from after that depending on what we see.You can refer to the other thread where our restorations have been covered so that you get an idea of what i am talking about.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th October 2009 at 14:29.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First of all yiou need to for doing the rear suspension.
Sorry but I didn't get you here.

Quote:
I would say ypu should start with the body first.get the doors opened and the different trims,bonnet,trunk lid,remove seats and then just start getting the corroded portions cut out and get new sheets of metal and get them replaced.
And exactly what I too have planned to do. The garage guys have been busy with other projects of their own so they didn't want to start on this car as yet. Once they start, it will go exactly as you've mentioned.

Quote:
In the mean while the mechanical section i would say get the engine out and do that first and get it started.Try and aim for finishing the body and the engine at the same time
Thanks. My mech. did plan the same way. However, he thought it a better idea to get the brakes working first before the engine.

Quote:
then you scrape the paint to bare metal and get primers put.
I have in mind zinc oxide (yellow) primer on the bare metal rather than the usual red oxide, as this car has been through quite a lot of rust. But before that I want to apply Phosphoric acid on the body once scraped. A couple of tbhpians who were restoring their Lambretta scooters had that done. If it deserves to be put on a scooter, it sure does on a car too.

Quote:
then i would say you should start getting all the missing stuff and get an electrician to make new wireing for the whole car.And make out a list of what all you need as and when the work is progressing.
Half the missing stuff (mostly cosmetic) has been procured by bluestraveller already, as he'd mentioned. Its at his home in Bangalore and I'm yet to get them over. No hurries as that can be got when the bodywork is complete.

Quote:
You can refer to the other thread where our restorations have been covered so that you get an idea of what i am talking about.
'will surely do. Thanks again!
Old 5th October 2009, 22:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I didn't get you here.
I ment that you could schedule it for some time later.See the brakes should be done towards the finishing stages.I would suggest you get the front brakes taken off once again and and change all the four wheel cylinders,brake linings and by the way what is the status of the master cylinder and the brake lines?

Quote:
And exactly what I too have planned to do. The garage guys have been busy with other projects of their own so they didn't want to start on this car as yet. Once they start, it will go exactly as you've mentioned.
That is good hope to see it going that way.

Quote:
Thanks. My mech. did plan the same way. However, he thought it a better idea to get the brakes working first before the engine.
See there the car is going to take sometime for getting done fully.So i would say the brakes should be absolutely perfect and the car with done up brakes should stand for long as a result you wouldn't have a fine braking and may have to redo again.Engine is the main thing at this stage you need that going everything depends on that at the moment.By the way are you getting new pistons anjd rings for it?If yes,what size standerd or over size?

Quote:
I have in mind zinc oxide (yellow) primer on the bare metal rather than the usual red oxide, as this car has been through quite a lot of rust. But before that I want to apply Phosphoric acid on the body once scraped. A couple of tbhpians who were restoring their Lambretta scooters had that done. If it deserves to be put on a scooter, it sure does on a car too.
Well for vintage cars using red oxide is more cost effective and works nearly the same as zinc oxide.So think about that again.

Quote:

Half the missing stuff (mostly cosmetic) has been procured by bluestraveller already, as he'd mentioned. Its at his home in Bangalore and I'm yet to get them over. No hurries as that can be got when the bodywork is complete.
That sounds alright.What about the front bumper?what is the condition?

What about all the hrome plating where is that going to be done and what colour are you going to paint this car?The best thing for it would be once you scrap the car down completely you get a fair idea of how much work is to be done in term of corrosion.

Not problem Happy to help anytime!
Old 6th October 2009, 07:04   #39
BHPian

IndrojitSircar thank you for all the valuable input. Shyam and I will keep in mind as we progress along. This car is my first ever project and a big learning experience without actually being directly involved, if you can see the dates from when the car was bought and what has been it may seem very haphazard and unorganized. The reason being the non availability of parts. Shyam and I had a plan of getting as many spares as we could before and then go all out, but what we found out later was quite different and the plans had to change. The primary areas I wanted finished before anything was the engine, suspension and brakes of the car first, as I always believed the body work is probably the easiest.

I guess what I am aiming at is to get the car as close to original as I can, but the parts are so hard to come by that we may have to improvise as much as possible. Shyam and I are open to suggestions, so please do keep posting.

I also have to add the passion that Shyam has with classic and vintage cars, along with this project for me, he also sold me his Herald(the white one) and this automatically became the second project of mine he is guiding. I have no words to express my thanks for this guy. I have not even seen him in person or know anything about him other than the fact he is a such a sucker for oldies
Old 6th October 2009, 13:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
IndrojitSircar thank you for all the valuable input. Shyam and I will keep in mind as we progress along. This car is my first ever project and a big learning experience without actually being directly involved, if you can see the dates from when the car was bought and what has been it may seem very haphazard and unorganized. The reason being the non availability of parts. Shyam and I had a plan of getting as many spares as we could before and then go all out, but what we found out later was quite different and the plans had to change. The primary areas I wanted finished before anything was the engine, suspension and brakes of the car first, as I always believed the body work is probably the easiest.

I guess what I am aiming at is to get the car as close to original as I can, but the parts are so hard to come by that we may have to improvise as much as possible. Shyam and I are open to suggestions, so please do keep posting.

I also have to add the passion that Shyam has with classic and vintage cars, along with this project for me, he also sold me his Herald(the white one) and this automatically became the second project of mine he is guiding. I have no words to express my thanks for this guy. I have not even seen him in person or know anything about him other than the fact he is a such a sucker for oldies
Sir it is a pleasure to help.The only thing i would say is keep the brakes for later and focus mainly on the body and engine at this point which are the two main things.The brakes are for the later stages once painting aqnd all is through and you are reassemblin ghtne you do the brakes and change the wheel cylinders,brake lining and what is the condition of the master cylinder and the brake lines ?
Old 6th October 2009, 23:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and by the way what is the status of the master cylinder and the brake lnes?
Please check out the earlier photos I'd uploaded showing pics. of the modifications- Amby/Landmaster drums & backplates fitted. They are quite good in condition but on benefit of doubt, may need new wheel cylinder kits etc.
Brake lines still the old ones. And in bad shape. He's going to dismantle them and later fit the new lines.

I have stored away the car's original drums/backplates though, in case we do get parts for those sometime.

Quote:
See there the car is going to take sometime for getting done fully.So i would say the brakes should be absolutely perfect and the car with done up brakes should stand for long as a result you wouldn't have a fine braking and may have to redo again.Engine is the main thing at this stage you need that going everything depends on that at the moment.By the way are you getting new pistons and rings for it?If yes,what size standard or over size?
'will need new pistons and rings. But no idea about the size and where to get them. 'may have to look for something common. As bluestraveller too said, parts for this car are proving the most difficult to find! Even abroad!
BTW, if not brakes, what about suspension? IMHO it'd do to atleast finish them before the bodywork, as once they start the scraping, primering etc. the bodywork guys most likely wouldn't let this guy fiddle with the car until the painting is done? And then it may not do justice to the car once freshly painted etc, to start doing all this messy work then? Brakes are relatively a minor job. Which is probably why I guess he's set to doing that up.
Speaking of which, update as of today, to be posted soon.

Quote:
Well for vintage cars using red oxide is more cost effective and works nearly the same as zinc oxide.So think about that again.
Well, if it works nearly the same as zinc oxide, then the latter must be better?
As for cost-effectiveness, it isn't my car of course, strictly speaking. But if the owner is willing to spend, we could go ahead with it. I had used that on the chassis of my lambretta though. 'turned out quite well.

Quote:
That sounds alright.What about the front bumper?what is the condition?
Again, please refer to the first page of this thread, in the first couple of posts by bluestravller. He'd already bought a front bumper (used) alongwith many other parts via ebay and had them shipped over (successfully!) to his home in Bangalore all the way from UK. I have to yet receive them so can't say about the bumper's condition. But it must be better than the car overall!

Quote:
What about all the chrome plating where is that going to be done and what colour are you going to paint this car?
Chrome-plating is not too urgent to worry about for now. I don't intend to get it done at hyd. though, having experienced the local workmanship here! Bangalore has a facility that is said to do the job better.
Reg. colour: although I don't mind suggesting (preferably period colours; could make out a lighter sky blue under the current blue, and under that a metallic-looking navy blue, which I suspect was the original colour. I think even the original rims were painted in the same), its the owner's right to ultimately decide. Because, as I said, I don't own this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Thanks for your compliments, santhosh!
Yup I agree l can be a sucker for them, but they sure don't suck!
Old 7th October 2009, 00:22   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

(NOTE: Apologies for the back-to-back post, but it's past 20 minutes for my previous post. Plus I first thought of posting these tomorrow....but then again, on second thought, there is no telling whether my net will be working or not- had conked out this morning!)

As I'd mentioned, here is the update:

Today, I just happened to be at the place for 10-15 mins. and check this out, as I had to leave for work in the afternoon.

The mech. had jacked up the rear (wasif, I'm reminded of you as I type this phrase! ) and today had already proceeded to open up the rear suspension and diff.; he had to chisel open the bolts that connected diff. with the UJ as they were rusted shut.

RH rear drum about to be opened up- this too was taking time and needed a liberal dose of oil and WD-40 for the pivotal/axle bolt to soak in. I left soon after taking the pics. so can't say how further he'd progressed. More tomorrow.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3715.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3712.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3713.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 7th October 2009 at 00:23.
Old 7th October 2009, 00:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check out the earlier photos I'd uploaded showing pics. of the modifications- Amby/Landmaster drums & backplates fitted. They are quite good in condition but on benefit of doubt, may need new wheel cylinder kits etc.
Brake lines still the old ones. And in bad shape. He's going to dismantle them and later fit the new lines.
See This is what i was talking about.If you do the job do it in a way you don't have to open it again.You can use the old shoes just get new linings for them.You'll get them in a roll as per meter.And since you would be doing it again them plan to do the wheel cylinders and the lines at the same time.

Quote:

'will need new pistons and rings. But no idea about the size and where to get them. 'may have to look for something common. As bluestraveller too said, parts for this car are proving the most difficult to find! Even abroad!
BTW, if not brakes, what about suspension? IMHO it'd do to atleast finish them before the bodywork, as once they start the scraping, primering etc. the bodywork guys most likely wouldn't let this guy fiddle with the car until the painting is done? And then it may not do justice to the car once freshly painted etc, to start doing all this messy work then? Brakes are relatively a minor job. Which is probably why I guess he's set to doing that up.
Speaking of which, update as of today, to be posted soon.
You need to open the enigne and take the pistons to a machine shop where they would measure them and you could also take the block and ask them to see if you could use these pistons its self after re-sleaving the block.You could also check for the size on the next.
Well suspension is not a bad idea but you would have to open the drums and the dish(back palte) to remove the differential if you are planing to and for that the car has to be put in a place where it doesn't have to be moved for some time.See no point and getting the breaks done when you don't have use for them do the things which are required like suspension-steering-engine-body & paint-electriacals &brakes-upholstry.This is what i think should be done accroding to what has already been done.
Parts to get for many cars of the 50's are difficult but you need to see what parts of other cars could be used.

Quote:
Well, if it works nearly the same as zinc oxide, then the latter must be better?
As for cost-effectiveness, it isn't my car of course, strictly speaking. But if the owner is willing to spend, we could go ahead with it. I had used that on the chassis of my lambretta though. 'turned out quite well.
Well that i agree is the owners choice.

Quote:
Again, please refer to the first page of this thread, in the first couple of posts by bluestravller. He'd already bought a front bumper (used) alongwith many other parts via ebay and had them shipped over (successfully!) to his home in Bangalore all the way from UK. I have to yet receive them so can't say about the bumper's condition. But it must be better than the car overall!
Yes i did see that post mentioning about it.

Quote:
Chrome-plating is not too urgent to worry about for now. I don't intend to get it done at hyd. though, having experienced the local workmanship here! Bangalore has a facility that is said to do the job better.
Reg. colour: although I don't mind suggesting (preferably period colours; could make out a lighter sky blue under the current blue, and under that a metallic-looking navy blue, which I suspect was the original colour. I think even the original rims were painted in the same), its the owner's right to ultimately decide. Because, as I said, I don't own this car.
Ok that could be i guess scheduled for some time later.

Quote:
Thanks for your compliments, santhosh!
Yup I agree l can be a sucker for them, but they sure don't suck!

What is the idea for the upholstry & interiors ?Going for false leather or real leather?

Being a bit to inquisitive.Please excuse me for this!
Old 7th October 2009, 00:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The mech. had jacked up the rear (wasif, I'm reminded of you as I type this phrase! ) and today had already proceeded to open up the rear suspension and diff.; he had to chisel open the bolts that connected diff. with the UJ as they were rusted shut.
standard thing done by these guys .

Quote:
RH rear drum about to be opened up- this too was taking time and needed a liberal dose of oil and WD-40 for the pivotal/axle bolt to soak in. I left soon after taking the pics. so can't say how further he'd progressed. More tomorrow.
See you have these hole like things on the drum so you are ment to put in a bolt and tighten it slowly and the drum will get released.Have marked it in the pic.

Forgot to add one thing.Are you getting new shock absorbers?
Attached Thumbnails
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3713.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 13:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
standard thing done by these guys .
Uh, which one did you mean?? The jacking of rears () or the chiselling of the bolts?

Quote:
See you have these hole like things on the drum so you are ment to put in a bolt and tighten it slowly and the drum will get released.Have marked it in the pic.
OK, thanks a lot! That was very informative. 'had told my mech. too this morning. He understood. The M.omni too happened to have such a system on the rear drums according to him.

Quote:
Forgot to add one thing.Are you getting new shock absorbers?
Front ones have been refurbished. Working fine for now. Not sure about rear ones. Would Amby or contessa ones fit for these btw?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks