Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:44   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)

saw some lights with a person in Bangalore. Have his email and can be looked by emailing him at jalopy.shop@gmail.com

cheers
Old 25th December 2011, 22:35   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

The car last week underwent the workshop's mandatory 35 km run for a test drive after the engine fitment. The steering was also repaired and parts in the steering box replaced.The engine runs well now. The gears had a few hiccups especially the reverse gear. It was also set.
The water pump bearing started making some noise during the test drive and later on it was found that the water pump too needs replacement.A few years ago the bearing had become defective and the fan had started moving haphazardly. The inner part of the radiator was hit and many fins were damaged. these have been repaired.
The car is waiting for a new water pump expected this week and it is hoped that the car will move homeward after its 4 month sabbatical at the workshop.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08341.jpg
The SU carburettor repair kit and gaskets stocked with me that may have to be fitted.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08342.jpg
The steeering components new and shining!
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08343.jpg
The engine now hale and hearty -Touchwood!
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08344.jpg
The SU
Old 30th December 2011, 07:42   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Hi rob_ox,
my car is not having the original tail lights, thats the only thing missing externally. I need the whole assembly and unable to find them.
It would be good for your car to have them - the rear of the car looks great when the correct lights are there!
So - you are looking for the red lenses, the 'chrome' surrounds with rubber seals and the bulb holders?
Quote:
Ya, it may be difficult to send them from New Zealand to India and the cost could work out to be too expensive. I once found these on ebay uk, but it was too expensive so had to pass.
I have seen a few of these on ebay too - in fact there are some there right now.
Quote:
Btw, saw your landy in your profile. It is awesome man, so clean and in such great condition.
Thanks
I bought it when it had only 54,000 miles on the odometer. It was in beautiful condition inside and out, and I am the 3rd owner.
The car was featured in NZ Classic Car magazine one year before I bought it (1996?) I have the magazine somewhere.
It has been off the road since 2008 when it had travelled 90,000miles.
I am s-l-o-w-l-y restoring it. The engine bay was getting untidy and needed some rust removing and re-painting. That has been done.
I also found rust in the chassis beside the gearbox and in front of the engine - that has been fixed too.
I am currently treating the small amount of rust that I have found in the driver's door before it gets bad.
The engine needs a rebuild and this is expensive to do in New Zealand.

Quote:
If you remember in 2006, a team comprising Ms Tim and Mr Joe had undertaken a journey Oxford 2 Oxford from Oxford ,UK to Oxford , New Zealand with the 1956 Morris Oxford Series II to commemorate its 50 years.Were you able to meet the duo there? I missed meeting them here in India but later had contacted them through email.
Yes, I did get to meet them - they even came to the school where I teach and talked to the whole school at assembly and showed their photos!
rob_ox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 20:41   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was again tested after the fabricated water pump spares were fitted. These have been fabricated at Shri Iqbal Ahmed's workshop by Shri Aqueel Ahmed. The spares were getting difficult to come by, but now the Ahmeds have solved the problem.If they are able to fabricate a Rolls Royce Silver Spirit duplicate key, this water pump thing is chickenfeed for them.
The Landmaster is down with just a minor hiccup.The SU carburettor jet is posing some problems. Excessive fuel consumption and leakage were observed. I had a spare jet and the leather washers that come along (two small and one of a medium size) which were handed over to the workshop today.
With the carburettor work to be done on Monday, the car will now be fit to come home. It will reach me on Monday next.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08583.jpg
The expert with the machine.He has been working on this car.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08584.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08585.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08587.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08588.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08589.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08590.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08591.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08592.jpg

It has been given a good bath lately. The water hose pipes are new.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st January 2012 at 20:47.
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:26   #155
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the engine was down, why did you not take this opportunity to paint the firewall/engine bay? Do you plan to paint the engine now?

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:54   #156
Senior - BHPian

Felt nice to go through the thread from the previous couple of pages. Seeing the side valve engine in disassembled condition made me rewind in my mind my visit to a workshop in Trivandrum where the owner had a Landy and I used to spend quite a lot of time there seeing him fix old Ambys and Fiats.
That workshop is not there now and I have lost contact with the owner Mr Parameswaran.

Hope to see your girl off the workshop soon.
BTB, did you sleeve the cylinder or is it bored for over sized pistons?

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2012 at 08:00.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:02   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Felt nice to go through the thread from the previous couple of pages. Seeing the side valve engine in disassembled condition made me rewind in my mind my visit to a workshop in Trivandrum where the owner had a Landy and I used to spend quite a lot of time there seeing him fix old Ambys and Fiats.
That workshop is not there now and I have lost contact with the owner Mr Parameswaran.

Thanks Rajeev. The cylinders have been rebored to 0.4 oversize.She is arriving home tommorow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Since the engine was down, why did you not take this opportunity to paint the firewall/engine bay? Do you plan to paint the engine now?

Cheers
KPS, the engine had a good paint finish but the engine work has made it minus all the old paint. Now I will very soon get the engine bay a good black coat and post pictures too.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 23:06   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

The Lady in Black is back home after its sabbatical at the workshop since late August 2011.It was an almost a five month absence from home.This happens always with old cars. You go for some repairs and once the mechanicals get opened, gremlins pop up and one by one the problems compound.
It like "If you open a can of worms, the only way to contain them is to use a larger can." But thats not as simple as it appears. The para below amply illustrates the point.
[quote]uk.answers.yahoo.com
To open a can of worms means to inadvertently create numerous new problems while trying to solve one. Experts disagree on the origin of the phrase, but it is generally believed to be a Canadian or American metaphor coined sometime in the 1950s. Bait stores routinely sold cans of worms and other popular live baits to fishermen, who often discovered how easy it was to open a can of worms and how difficult it was to close one. Once the worms discovered an opportunity to escape, it became nearly impossible to keep them contained.[unquote]
But here after five months hopefully the lid has been applied to the can. Only time will tell how actually things stand.
Back to business, now the car will go for the 26th January CIVAA run scheduled to commence from Shree Automobiles, Ramdaspeth, Nagpur at 8.30 am.The CIVAA thread will tell us more about this run and the jalopies participating.
Old 27th January 2012, 23:07   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

My Lady in Black has successfully done the R-Day run organised by CIVAA yesterday. It ran quite smoothly. The newly fitted engine components are getting mated and so there is some under the engine head, frictional activities but all much smoother compared to what these were before the engine work.The SU carburettor has been fitted with a new jet as the older jet was facilitating the excessive petrol guzzle,while the pistons, rings , inner liners and CR's were facilitating excessive oil consumption.
The SU jet with the two cylindrical leather washers and the circular cork washer are all brand new and extremely well tuned by the ace craftsman (picture below in an earlier post) at M/s Shree Auto Restorers.
The car did all the 40 kms without any hiccup. The radiator had to be cooled once as a precautionary measure midway.
The suspension work has also been done and all the bushes are new.It means more comfy rides!
The car did the August 15th Run of CIVAA as an ailing lady but now between I-Day and R-Day its got much younger , alive and rocking!
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08625.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08719.jpg
Old 28th January 2012, 12:46   #160
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Request you to remove the steering cover. Please show-off your white steering wheel.The white steering wheel will add so much to the character of the car.

Happy to note your car is running well.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 20:46   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Request you to remove the steering cover. Please show-off your white steering wheel.The white steering wheel will add so much to the character of the car.

Happy to note your car is running well.

Cheers

KPS
Thanks KPS for your suggestion.
About ten days back the car had electrical problems while engaging the self starter. I tried to replace the fuses but things did not work. It went back to the workshop and the fault was traced to a faulty earthing wire connection.
With the things set right, I told the workshop about the door rubber beadings and also that on the rear boot.
These have been replaced now and the car came back home this evening after a short stay at the workshop.Now again fit to run. Will try and post some pictures of the new rubber on the car.
Old 1st April 2012, 22:51   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

All the door beading and that of the luggage boot have been changed as these were showing signs of wear. Am lucky that these are readily available in the market courtesy the surviving Ambassadors.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09118.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09119.jpg
No, the jerrycan down there does not contain petrol. Its half full of water fro the radiator !
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09121.jpg
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09120a.jpg
While I was clicking these pictures during the CIVAA (Central India Vintage Automotive Association) run last Sunday (25/3/2012), at the rest point 25 kms away from Nagpur, the kid son of a fellow member asked me" Uncle this is your car I believe?" I said " Yes kid", but he was left wondering.He asked me "Then why are you clicking its pictures here? You can do so at home too."
I did not reply but smiled and thought of our modern complex lives where we find too little time for things we love to do.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st April 2012 at 23:00.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 17:45   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

The Lady Landmaster has again landed at the garage. The spoilsport this time is a fuel line pipe near the fuel tank which is leaking. The result is that the fuel pump is not able to create vacuum, to pump fuel to the carburettor. Bypassing the fuel line, I had put fuel in a container creating an air tight condition and the engine had fired and started instantly after cranking.
The metallic hose pipe thread has bolts on either sides of a specified size. A replacement is being sought by the workshop.

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09417.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc09420.jpg
Old 9th June 2012, 19:11   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Was this Parameswaran having his workshop in Pettah near a small temple? if so he still has a workshop in a different location
Old 9th June 2012, 22:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Was this Parameswaran having his workshop in Pettah near a small temple? if so he still has a workshop in a different location
Yes In Pettah and true there was a temple too nearby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
While I was clicking these pictures during the CIVAA (Central India Vintage Automotive Association) run last Sunday (25/3/2012), at the rest point 25 kms away from Nagpur,
Where was this run conducted? Why I asked you is because I lived near Nagpur for more than 2 years, but many years back.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th June 2012 at 22:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks