Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 21:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
Wow Anjan, well maintained Lady you have there keep it up man, would love to see more pictures!
Thanks, the car is still mechanically very reliable for me. And delightfully, there's no rust on the original chrome plating even after 54 years. Amby Mark II bumpers and front grilles are quite prone to rust.
Old 6th August 2009, 22:50   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Took out the car two weeks ago on a wet Saturday evening for a drive and therefrom for air checking. The car took off with a reluctant start. It was moving but could feel somethings up with the power output going down and down and the car faltering on the road. It was dark and after the air checking the car simply gave up and refused to start. It started to rain cats and dogs. Wet! Wet! Wet! With the rains slowing down after an hour, I tried my bag of tricks but failed to start the black beauty. With lady luck eluding me, there was no any signs of the engine firing. A dodo it was!
A silver lining was that my mechanic's workshop was still functional and the guy simply rushed to my rescue. My car's battery was almost giving up. The guy used his Ford Ikon battery but still nothing. It was 9 pm. My car was towed to his workshop and I moved to the warmth of my home sweet home.
Next day, the Landy was fit and fine. Guess where the troubleshooting point was?
It was the condenser that had conked off. A replacement was fitted and that was on a Sunday. Again my mechanic was in his workshop and told me to take back the car soon.The car drove and driving was fun like before.
So the morale of the story- Even a 25 gm condenser can stall a 1120 Kg car. Finally, any car part weighing any amount in grams, can stall a mighty car. And alls well that ends well!
Old 6th August 2009, 23:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

David and Goliath, I must say ! Yes the condensor can play spoilsport. A similar thing had once happened to my SS long ago, when she was still with Addy.
While on this topic guys, is it prudent to always carry a spare condensor in the car ? I was once told to always always carry the following essentials:
1) Point, Condensor.
2) Fan belt.
3) Radiator hose.
4) Spare wiper blade.
Any more in the list ??
Old 7th August 2009, 00:38   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I was once told to always always carry the following essentials:
1) Point, Condensor.
2) Fan belt.
3) Radiator hose.
4) Spare wiper blade.
Any more in the list ??
Set of plugs perhaps?
Old 7th August 2009, 02:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Jump Cables??

Fuse??
Old 7th September 2009, 23:06   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

My beautiful lady gets to rest every year during monsoons. thats because monsoons cause the muddy waters and the dirt to affect the well-being of my precious heartthrob. I had taken it out for a spin yesterday as it was a bit sunny and here is how it looks now.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04265.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04266.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04267.jpg
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04264.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th September 2009 at 23:08.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 00:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Aah, the lady in black, looking stunning as ever !
Tell me Anjan, have you removed all the rustproofing, the oil cocktail, et al already ? The monsoons have not left us yet in mumbai, so I was wondering what it's like at Nagpur.
Old 8th September 2009, 19:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aah, the lady in black, looking stunning as ever !
Tell me Anjan, have you removed all the rustproofing, the oil cocktail, et al already ? The monsoons have not left us yet in mumbai, so I was wondering what it's like at Nagpur.
SS thanks, No the rust coats are not yet through. I had just last week sprayed diesel on the chrome and some parts of the paintwork after washing the oily cocktail. The monsoon here is still a bit active but the intensity is nowhere near as its in Mumbai. So maybe if the monsoon intensifies again, the oily cocktail will be back.
How's your SS doing ?
Old 9th November 2009, 20:23   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a new Amaron maintenance free battery fitted. The old one was doddering, was local made and would expect me to be very young and energetic enough to start the car, always.
Remember I posted pictures wherein copper sulphate would form on the terminals and also some other water soluble white powdery compound (probably another sulphate). These sulphate + sulphate were messing up the metals under the bonnet.The powder would even fly upon wiping and land anywhere on the engine block, self starter, body metal and instantaneously start its destructive corroding chores after a safe landing. So I vowed never to go for a cheap battery again.These cost anywhere around Rs 3000 but last two to three tension filled years. The Amaron may serve me better!
Old 10th November 2009, 09:46   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Remember I posted pictures wherein copper sulphate would form on the terminals and also some other water soluble white powdery compound (probably another sulphate). These sulphate + sulphate were messing up the metals under the bonnet.The powder would even fly upon wiping and land anywhere on the engine block, self starter, body metal and instantaneously start its destructive corroding chores after a safe landing. So I vowed never to go for a cheap battery again.These cost anywhere around Rs 3000 but last two to three tension filled years. The Amaron may serve me better!
Very important is you should apply petroleum jelly on the terminals, it should minimise the sulphation problem. And from my experience, there is nothing like Amaron for our requirements (heavy crank load, long cranks, infrequent usage) - lasts long, really long, ting tong!
Old 10th November 2009, 22:40   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Very important is you should apply petroleum jelly on the terminals, it should minimise the sulphation problem. And from my experience, there is nothing like Amaron for our requirements (heavy crank load, long cranks, infrequent usage) - lasts long, really long, ting tong!
Thanks Karl.Indeed the sulphates used to form even with the petroleum jelly application to the terminals. these would form on the metal surfaces around the battery like the base plate, bracket that was be used to clamp it and so on.Its a good riddance.
Welcome Amaron !!
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

The post Amaron era for my Landmaster has been quite eventful with the car being used more often nowadays.Some pictures of the Landmaster "My Lady Love" in 2010!
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04752.jpg
The Amaron power
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04753.jpg
The original BMC side valve engine
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04754.jpg
The massive oil based air filter
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04756.jpg
The self starter activator
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04759.jpg
The Lucas cut out box
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04760.jpg
The Skinners Union (SU) carburettor
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04765.jpg
The front seat fore and aft adjuster
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04764.jpg
The Smiths everywhere
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-landy3.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-landy-1.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-landy-2.jpg
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:12   #73
BHPian

Congratulations Anjan for maintaining her in immaculate condition. I have only two questions.
1. Is the ammeter also Smiths?
2. Is Lucas England make cutouts still available in India? If yes where? I am actually searching one for my 1959 Ambassador (Mark 1 converted to Mark 3). What is the setting you are maintaing in the cutout (to control the battery charging) assuming you use the beauty sparingly.

Regards,

Samish
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Happy new year to the lovely lady in black !! She's looking nice as ever !
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:32   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Congratulations Anjan for maintaining her in immaculate condition. I have only two questions.
1. Is the ammeter also Smiths?
2. Is Lucas England make cutouts still available in India? If yes where? I am actually searching one for my 1959 Ambassador (Mark 1 converted to Mark 3). What is the setting you are maintaing in the cutout (to control the battery charging) assuming you use the beauty sparingly.

Regards,

Samish
Thanks Samish for liking the Landmaster.
-The ammeter is of Pricol make and is a later add-on.
- Lucas cutouts of this kind are not available unless its some old dealer who has stocked these. Very rare but!You may try at places where old car parts are sold.
-I am not aware about the setting as its my trusted mechanic who knows these secrets. But will enquire with him and let you know.
Would like to see pictures of your 1959 Ambassador which must also be a lovely car!
Quote:
Happy new year to the lovely lady in black !! She's looking nice as ever !
Thanks SS, you too own a beauty and know what beauties are all about.

Most Viewed