Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 10:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Congratulations Anjan for maintaining her in immaculate condition. I have only two questions.
1. Is the ammeter also Smiths?
2. Is Lucas England make cutouts still available in India? If yes where? I am actually searching one for my 1959 Ambassador (Mark 1 converted to Mark 3). What is the setting you are maintaing in the cutout (to control the battery charging) assuming you use the beauty sparingly.

Regards,

Samish
A similar cutout is available in namma Bangy, how ever don't know its make might be PMP make, request you to go to Jadsons Automobiles and enquire.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:16   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
A similar cutout is available in namma Bangy, how ever don't know its make might be PMP make, request you to go to Jadsons Automobiles and enquire.
Yes Manish true, even a compatible 12V cutout will be available in Lucas authorised outlets for fitment in old Ambassadors and Landmasters but our friend samish was enquiring whether the ones with the "Made in England" tag are still available.
Old 4th January 2010, 22:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes Manish true, even a compatible 12V cutout will be available in Lucas authorised outlets for fitment in old Ambassadors and Landmasters but our friend samish was enquiring whether the ones with the "Made in England" tag are still available.
Anjan,

I was refering to the shape of the cutout relay, I had not seen the make as I was buying the other made in Italy one for my Fiat. So possibility of Lucas Made in England cannot be ruled out.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 22:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Sunday last was like any other weekend for me. I gave a wash to the Landmaster and also washed some portions under the bonnet. When I tried to start it there was no response from the self starter.Alas what could it be? I traced the fault to the self activator (shown in the picture) which looks very innocent per se.Perhaps some water entered it through some wear and tear portion around the piston like rod which moves on a plastic base, on the front side.After disassembling this spare, I could locate a new one in my stock- a brand new one.But more problems cropped up when the screw thread broke away from the main body during the fitting and bolt tightening.I used Fevikwik but that stuck the piston like rod with the screw.
When I went to the few dealers here who stock such spares all drew a blank.One electrician known to me however has promised to repair the old one. One spare dealer said that in his 35 years in business he never saw anyone getting this self activator repaired. It is a sealed unit after all- use and throw. Another said he could search his attic and would take time.
Today I went to my trusted mechanic Babubhai who put his men in action and got the unwanted Fevikwik separated in the brand new broken activator. He then got the threaded screw welded (radiator soldering like as welding would heat up the unit and affect the electricals inside its box)- alas the new one is now ready for fitment.
And cheers to the Sardarji of Punjab Auto Electric, who may also repair the old one and hand it over to me tomorrow.
The not so innocent spare:-
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-landamster.jpg
The engine bay with the self activator just on the front lower part of the battery
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-self-activator.jpg
The old self activator
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04860.jpg
The new one now repaired-the threaded part was separated from the main body during tightening
Attachment 281289
The new one-notice the plastic through which the piston like rod moves when the self switch is pulled activating the starter.
As it was dark I could not fit the new repaired one-will do it tomorrow

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th February 2010 at 22:47.
Old 4th February 2010, 22:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sunday last was like any other weekend for me. ]
Ha ha ! Glad she's back in action, Anjan..
Just goes to show how unpredictable a perfectly normal classic car can be, on a perfectly normal day !
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 22:58   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Ha ha ! Glad she's back in action, Anjan..
Just goes to show how unpredictable a perfectly normal classic car can be, on a perfectly normal day !
Yes Ravi that's routine for most of us. Initially these were shocks but are now events.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:00   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One electrician known to me however has promised to repair the old one. One spare dealer said that in his 35 years in business he never saw anyone getting this self activator repaired. It is a sealed unit after all- use and throw. Another said he could search his attic and would take time.
And cheers to the Sardarji of Punjab Auto Electric, who may also repair the old one and hand it over to me tomorrow.
The not so innocent spare:-
Attachment 281287
The old self activator
Attachment 281286
The new one now repaired-the threaded part was separated from the main body during tightening
Attachment 281289
The new one-notice the plastic through which the piston like rod moves when the self switch is pulled activating the starter.
Update: And yes, the ageing Sardarji of M/s Punjab Auto Electricals repaired both the activators-the OE that has given 55 years of service and the unused new one.He said that the front side plastic on the original was so solid that he had a hard time opening the sealed unit.And the new one (unused) was also repaired as the plate contact was not proper. He gave a thumbs down to this one which is poorly built.Now both are repaired. But the OE activator is fitted to the Landy.Surprisingly, the Workshop Manual of the Landmaster (Morris Oxford Series II) has no sketches/pictures of the self activator which is an integral part of the self starting unit.
Last weekend the car's self starter was found jammed. Babubhai tried hard to start it but no! Then the self which was not allowing the flywheel and gears to move, was disassembled. As a side effect, the sleeve to the right of the side valve engine that is bolted developed a fault while removing the self starter unit.The radiator water leaked out soon from the M Seal fastened portions.This was temporarily plugged with plastic and cloth. The car was push started and the engine purr-rred to life immediately! It was taken to the workshop and the self was serviced. The bushes were changed and the inside cleaned and refitted.The sleeve has been re-fabricated and refitted with no leakage now! Touchwood!
The car again started with the self and is in normal running condition ever since.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th February 2010 at 21:05.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:37   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

My car did the 50 km run on 21st March organised by the newly proposed Vintage and Classic Automobile Club at Nagpur.In all 25 two and four wheelers participated. The run was through the southern part of the city and the cars and two wheelers emerged out of town through the National Highway no. 7 that goes to Hyderabad. It culminated at the junction leading to the Jamtha Stadium (famous for the T 20 matches these days) where all the participants congregated for tea at a dhaba.
It began at 4 pm on the hot summer afternoon.We were back by 7.00 pm at Nagpur.My car's fuel pump (now an electronic one) got heated and when the petrol supply was needed in excess in places like uphill climbs - flyovers or whenever I was speeding, the car would stall. Later on, I applied a wet cloth (always carry a jerry-can of water) to which the car responded. But the response was not so cordial always. It would stall and its thanks to the organisers who had a trailing car with saviours for cars like the one I was driving.They were always waiting for my car to start and run.
I am to change the fuel pump now soon to avoid such nightmares.The mercury is hovering around 44 degrees Celsius and the next run is on 18th April.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc04970.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc05027.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-picture.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th April 2010 at 22:40.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2010, 23:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

It must have been an Excellent day except of the electorinic pump being a little non co-operative but the idea of wrapping it up with wet cloth was bright! "keep it cool baby".

Anjan saab your car looks stunning does your car has any period accessories like shikar light (the light which has the rear view mirror on one side and a light on the other side which is mounted at the same place where the rear view mirror is fixed on any car near the window) do you have plan of any rear view mirror on the front . The car would look more classy with them i feel.

People say the electronic pump is more efficient than the older ones as they require lesser level of fuel to pump (conventional ones need a minimum capacity of 5lt i guess) and they are again more intellegent in understanding the engine's requirement is it so? is the temperature a glitch for electronic systems and what do you suggest the best for the cars.

Last edited by chanu : 11th April 2010 at 23:47.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:47   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
It must have been an Excellent day except of the electorinic pump being a little non co-operative but the idea of wrapping it up with wet cloth was bright! "keep it cool baby".

Anjan saab your car looks stunning does your car has any period accessories like shikar light (the light which has the rear view mirror on one side and a light on the other side which is mounted at the same place where the rear view mirror is fixed on any car near the window) do you have plan of any rear view mirror on the front . The car would look more classy with them i feel.

People say the electronic pump is more efficient than the older ones as they require lesser level of fuel to pump (conventional ones need a minimum capacity of 5lt i guess) and they are again more intellegent in understanding the engine's requirement is it so? is the temperature a glitch for electronic systems and what do you suggest the best for the cars.
chanu thanks a lot.the car does not have the kind of search light you have specified. But am not averse to buying a good period piece, if by chance I get one. Yes the mirrors on the fender top look classy too!
I will also check the dirt accumulated within the fuel pump which might have been an irritant.I had cleaned it last around four years ago.
Electronic pumps are rightfully much better than the original Lucas electric fuel pump which I have kept aside. Wish to post its picture soon.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:26   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I dismantled the Landy's electronic fuel pump and took it to my mechanic. He saw it gave it a thorough dressing with an overdose of WD-40 spray. Then he told me to see the impurities that out poured from the fuel pump. According to him these impurities prevent a good flow and this in turn heats the fuel pump when the supply is erratic within the pump as impurities obstruct the petrol flow.
I think I may not have to change the fuel pump for now- will fit this one and see how it performs now.Meanwhile, I have also washed it again with WD-40 at home for further purification of its interiors!
This coming Sunday we again have the Vintage and Classic Run (about 50 kms) and that will test the endurance.
I also feel that I should have a fuel filter fitted between the fuel tank and the fuel pump to prevent unwanted entry of impurities.Presently there is a fuel filter on the supply side of the carburettor in my Landy.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 21:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thats great sir, wishing you all the very best of good luck to you LADY LOVE IN BLACK in the upcoming 50km run.
Old 15th April 2010, 22:43   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks chanu Sir. More pictures to come along in the Nagpur Vintage and Classic Run thread. Gladly the run distance has been reduced to 20 kms this time as all car and bike owners were scared about engine overheating as the mercury is touching 45 degrees Celsius.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:22   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anjan - please post some pictures of the electronic fuel pump as fitted in your car. Also please go to the 4 wheel drive vehicles section and refer to Jaggu's CJ3B thread where I have given the complete process of packaging the electronic fuel pump. The pump should give you trouble free operation if it is packaged correctly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 19:37   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Anjan - please post some pictures of the electronic fuel pump as fitted in your car. Also please go to the 4 wheel drive vehicles section and refer to Jaggu's CJ3B thread where I have given the complete process of packaging the electronic fuel pump. The pump should give you trouble free operation if it is packaged correctly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks a lot Dabhar for your information. I will post its pictures soon.Meanwhile I am viewing Jaggu's CJ3B thread.

Most Viewed