Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 12:35   #121
BHPian

Re: My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thats a surprise Inderji! Did the owner who was keeping it as his prized possession part company?The last I saw this car was on 13/02/2011. these were the pictures taken then.
Attachment 556057

Attachment 556058

Attachment 556059
This car was originally turquoise blue (with the metallic tint)in colour- factory paint. It was very gorgeous looking in its halcyon days. Later on the owner painted it cream. It was grounded for many years and was almost in a junked state when the present owner bought it.He did a hell of a job and got it restored, but the restoration level needs a lot of touches even now.It has an Amby OHV engine.The steering is from the later Ambys.
Hope to see a new thread and your impressions with constant updates.
Thanks for the updates sirji, no doubt the recent owner has done a great job to bring her back as a land master, as the previous ones had almost made her an Ambassador, as he had given me all the pictures proir restoration.and some newspaper cuttings ,rally pictures etc, yes the engine is OHV,but thank god its not any bloody diesal as many landy's have, we hardly have any landmasters in punjab,as i have never seen any-not even one around as people here are more inclines to flashy new cars,and iam hunting for the steering wheel may be from any ambassodr of early years( better than the new amby wheel presently)i tried to find one during my visit to uk this march but didnt find any ,but luckily found a set of good old working semaphores, the car was immediately shipped after the feb rally at nagpur, the engine although ohv but is really smooth and idles like a sewing machine sound ha ah, i love the slow speed of these yester year petrol engines, all the meters and switches are ok wiring is fresh and good,i will be replacing the hubcaps to new,i think the amby ones are thesame? pls suggest as iam new to these cars,any other suggestions are welcome from seniors like you,Regards-Gill
Old 7th June 2011, 19:19   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Thanks for the updates sirji, no doubt the recent owner has done a great job to bring her back as a land master, as the previous ones had almost made her an Ambassador, as he had given me all the pictures proir restoration.and some newspaper cuttings ,rally pictures etc, yes the engine is OHV,but thank god its not any bloody diesal as many landy's have, we hardly have any landmasters in punjab,as i have never seen any-not even one around as people here are more inclines to flashy new cars,and iam hunting for the steering wheel may be from any ambassodr of early years( better than the new amby wheel presently)i tried to find one during my visit to uk this march but didnt find any ,but luckily found a set of good old working semaphores, the car was immediately shipped after the feb rally at nagpur, the engine although ohv but is really smooth and idles like a sewing machine sound ha ah, i love the slow speed of these yester year petrol engines, all the meters and switches are ok wiring is fresh and good,i will be replacing the hubcaps to new,i think the amby ones are thesame? pls suggest as iam new to these cars,any other suggestions are welcome from seniors like you,Regards-Gill
Nice to know more about the new Landmaster in your stable.The previous owner had kept the car very well and had done lots of spadework and had also spent quite a huge sum to bring it to its present condition. Only touches to restore originality by you will make the car more classier.
Its nice that you have got semaphores. Yes the Ambassador hub caps will easily fit. But there are two varieties available in the market.The cheaper ones are lightweight and catch rust easily. Some of these have the three pointed star in a crude form.Looks awful!
The other is the thicker ones that you can get with the Ambassador authorised dealers or in spares shops.
I will pass on some UK contacts for original Morris Oxford Series II spares. Perhaps you can source the steering wheel from there.These may be a bit costlier but are worth.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th June 2011 at 19:21.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:46   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
we are going to be better friends now,as the fellow friend of you landmaster the BYJ 4083, has landed up in my garage and is nowadays enjoying Punjab,she came till gurgaon in a maruti trailer and was driven 45kms till ludhiana,trouble free,so we can now be termed Landmaster-Mates
Congrats Inderji, another beautiful car added to your lovely collection.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Congrats Inderji, another beautiful car added to your lovely collection.
Thanks sirji, as i can see your profile picture and believe you too have a nice landmaster what year is it,where can i see some more pics,thanks again

Quote:
Nice to know more about the new Landmaster in your stable.The previous owner had kept the car very well and had done lots of spadework and had also spent quite a huge sum to bring it to its present condition. Only touches to restore originality by you will make the car more classier.
Its nice that you have got semaphores. Yes the Ambassador hub caps will easily fit. But there are two varieties available in the market.The cheaper ones are lightweight and catch rust easily. Some of these have the three pointed star in a crude form.Looks awful!
The other is the thicker ones that you can get with the Ambassador authorised dealers or in spares shops.
I will pass on some UK contacts for original Morris Oxford Series II spares. Perhaps you can source the steering wheel from there.These may be a bit costlier but are worth.
Thanks alot in advance sir,it really feels great when supported by experienced gentlemen like you, i added some white wall inserts to give a bit of period look,as iam expanding my garage all the cars are out since last week,searching for shade under trees,iam sad for them but they will find a cozy home against this heat,but fortunately the land master being the latest in collection is parked smartly in my porch,i will click a picture and post today-Thanks again

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th June 2011 at 10:04. Reason: Please avoid consecutive posts - thanks.
Old 9th June 2011, 07:37   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot in advance sir,it really feels great when supported by experienced gentlemen like you, i added some white wall inserts to give a bit of period look,as iam expanding my garage all the cars are out since last week,searching for shade under trees,iam sad for them but they will find a cozy home against this heat,but fortunately the land master being the latest in collection is parked smartly in my porch,i will click a picture and post today-Thanks again
Welcome Inderpal sir,hoping to see the pictures soon. Will the registration number have to be changed there in Punjab as per the state laws?
Please pm me your email id so I can send you contacts of the office bearers of the Morris Cowley,Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford,U.K. and the list of spares they possess as of now.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome Inderpal sir,hoping to see the pictures soon. Will the registration number have to be changed there in Punjab as per the state laws?
Please pm me your email id so I can send you contacts of the office bearers of the Morris Cowley,Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford,U.K. and the list of spares they possess as of now.
the registration number was a choice either stick to the same or the local ludhiana number i opted the old number as its a sort of history in itself and looks unique,rather than PB 10..,thanks to the previous owner for a complete set of papers including state NOC and the car is transferred in my name
inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 19:44   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Finding smell of petrol in the boot, I decided to have a look at the fault. It was traced to the float assembly-tank junction. There is a cork washer here, that is supposed to do its duty but the one fitted there may have been an OE. It has done its duty maybe for 56 years after all and was now powdery and crumbling. The leakage left a trail of evaporated petrol from the float assembly-tank junction to the floor portion on the boot.The metal float was also full of petrol within and had tiny holes.It was jammed and would not move up and down. Liberal application of WD-40 made it relent and the movement was quite OK after half an hour since the WD-40 application.The tiny holes were sealed using M-Seal wet.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07753.jpg
The six-holed new cork washers (only one is needed)
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07756.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07757.jpg
The original things in place. Can see the trail of evaporated fuel
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07758.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07759.jpg
The new fuel pump doing its duty now-Touchwood! Its not of any reputed company. In fact a reputed make viz. UCAL fuel pump failed within no time after the fitment a year back.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07760.jpg
The inner side of the float assembly-the cork washer or is it all powder?
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07761.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07762.jpg
Petrol ( drops in picture)flowing out of the float-floats and boats must not leak!
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07763.jpg
The powder or the original cork washer
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07764.jpg
Inner part of the float assembly scarped of all cork and ready for new fitment
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07765.jpg
The original washer or whatever is left of it
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07766.jpg
The fuel tank also scraped of all cork to enable the new to be fitted
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07767.jpg
The float not moving
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07768.jpg
The float now moving and at full tank position
Name:  DSC07769.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  134.7 KB
The float now moving and at empty tank position
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07770.jpg
The cork washer now fitted

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st August 2011 at 19:49.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:56   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

The Landmaster was lately as I had reported quite high on oil consumption. The 15/08/2011 rally was not without the hiccups by its engine that was also getting overheated.
The beauty has now been handed over to a competent workshop at Nagpur and will undergo an engine overhaul.Two pistons show some strain (strained relationships with the engine block - Domestic Violence )))) and the work has just commenced.Will get everything within the beauty that creates Domestic Violence booked and thrown out to make way for new.
Some pictures of the engine bay sans the engine:
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07980.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07984.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07985.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07979.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07981.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07982.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc07983.jpg
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

God !! a car without an engine looks so unreal

This is a big job, Anjan !! How long do you estimate it'll take before she's back to rule the roads ??
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 20:03   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
God !! a car without an engine looks so unreal

This is a big job, Anjan !! How long do you estimate it'll take before she's back to rule the roads ??
Thanks Ravi.Yes indeed it was and now still is a big job to be done. The car has been lying idle in the workshop for the past more than one month. The problem- engine spares. Slowly and steadily all the spares could be procured.The last on the list were shaft bearings. the pistons and rings of 0.40 oversize have been procured.Last week the bearings were also received.And now all the spares are available.The engine machining work is in progress.
The final fitment and post fitment jobs will not take much time.
But one thing for sure is that however good a workshop, any car parked there for long starts to show signs of decay. So its better for the car to leave as early as possible.
Old 11th October 2011, 21:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Ahh thats why i spotted her mouth (Bonnet) open at the garage. Hope to see her back on the road soon.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 22:41   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Ahh thats why i spotted her mouth (Bonnet) open at the garage. Hope to see her back on the road soon.
agspins: hopefully if all goes well, another two weeks to go and she will be back on the road.
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:58   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine has been bored and all the engine parts pistons, rings, connecting rods,bearings etc have been now received from many sources.The engine assembly work will commence on Monday and the whole job may take a few days.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08156.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08157.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08158.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08159.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08160.jpg
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:47   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anjan - it is nice to see the engine work progressing smoothly. This is a good time to get hold of a good electrician who takes pride in his work and get the complete wiring harness retaped and connectors corrected as required. A coat of black paint in the engine compartment will go a long way in enhancing the value of the car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 17:38   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

After many days, today the engine work could be restarted at the workshop. Some unforeseen problems cropped up lately. As I had told earlier that most of the spares were procured from outside, with much efforts by the workshop management and there were a lot of festivals thereafter. The engine was being rebored and the work was completed last month. When it arrived in the workshop and during fitment, some of the bolts that fasten the side valve engine head to the engine block had faltered. The block had to be sent again for fabrication and fitment of new bolts. After this was completed, the block arrived at the workshop and today the cleansing work has commenced. Fitment will start by Monday.
Meanwhile the car has become dusty- a shade in which it was never seen since a long time - rare pictures hence. But soon it will acquire its original sheen and glamour.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08204.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08205.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08206.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08207.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08209.jpg

My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08213.jpg
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08208a.jpg
More engine work pictures to follow.
My Lady Love in Black (1955 Landmaster)-dsc08216.jpg
This picture above summarizes it all! As they say "If you want weeds to take over your garden, all you have to do is nothing." A similar saying for cobwebs and the Landmaster too!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th November 2011 at 17:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks