Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 13:27   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hey guys thanks for appreciation ,here are some more pics,

Attachment 174688
Oye maliko kedi soni gaddiya hai, asi to fida ho gaye. The last one is going to be my wallpaper if permitted so.
Old 15th August 2009, 13:51   #317
BHPian

Hey guys thanks alot for the comments, so briefly about the history,this car was purchased by my uncle Mr.Dhillon from Hamburg germany on special order for RHD, against full payment in advance and nine months waiting under tourist sales programme. He was working with merchant navy and his ship was docked near hambusrg, he purchased with an idea that he would keep the car on ship and drive and camp around when the ship docks. He was a great adventurer, and began his journey by road to India, but when he was crossing austria, he got an sos message from the company that he is neaded, he parked the bus at his collegues place in austria (vienna) and went for the work. It remained there for two years,in 71 he picked the bus and continued the journey to India,he reached India.

After some years passed his canadian immigration matured and he was called to vancouver BC. Intrestingly he planned to drive the bus to Canada, yes yes he seems to be nut, ha ha any ways he drove till UK via pakistan, afganistan and crossed the ocean by ships of his employers company, when he crossed the sea and reached new york, he drove again from new york till vancover and at the time he entered canada, he was suspected to be a drug peddler and each pin of the bus was searched as those guys never belived that some one can drive from India?

He used and the bus there, got it registerd there but had aproblem driving RHD so he purchsed a bettle too, any ways one day in 95 he went for servicing the bus with vw dealer, and the dealer told him that the engine is worn out and neads a rebuilt, also the comapny had an offer for new long block zero mile engine, he opted for a new engine. The dealer stamped the same no on the block with vw equipment and logo on it.

Uncle came back to india in 97 and brought the bus via sea on TR basis back to india, soon after he started losing vision and he gave me the offer to buy, i had no second choice and it was my dream come true, i jumped to grab it, he got it regsiterd here at chnadigarh, and the present registration from chandigarh, but the bus has the canada plate till 97 too, it has two pare wheels and all 6 tyres made by bf goodrich made in canada, and is 40K kms with the new engine, runs very well and was never restored, its all original, only 2 pannels painted, it has an anti rust at the bottom by vw to avoid rust from snow and all.

Original keys, tools kack spaner, horns head lamps and all that bla bla ,the interiots are made by westfalia which used to make interiors for vw and are all original, the from nose logo was missing when it came to me as it was removed by some one at Delhi customs, it drives very well and never ever heats up, i drove long dsitances in it and many times touched 120, its my love and i love it, similarly i have a toyota corona 65 which has all original paint only bonnet is painted and rest all brand new the carpets, jack, keys, sw radioetc etc will post pics too
thanks again

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th August 2009 at 13:58. Reason: Readability, paragraphs helps as well as proper punctuation and spaces between sentences. Thanks
Old 15th August 2009, 14:05   #318
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant bus, she is indeed in pristine condition and all original. Really envy you!
Old 15th August 2009, 15:25   #319
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a history your bus has!I dont think there is a bus of this calibre in India! All the best with her in the future and thank you for the story, it has only increased our appreciation for this bus.
Old 15th August 2009, 15:38   #320
Senior - BHPian

Sat Sri Akal Inderpal. Fantastic bus you have there. Attached to the history, this bus is even more special. Great. And those two beetles and the bus together, look like out of a VW Trends magazine. Fantastic. Keep it up bro!!
Old 15th August 2009, 17:56   #321
BANNED

wow inderpalgill thats beautiful.

The van had travelled such long distances and still is good shape ,Appreciated !!!
Old 15th August 2009, 22:51   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Uncle came back to india in 97 and brought the bus via sea on TR basis back to india, soon after he started losing vision and he gave me the offer to buy, i had no second choice and it was my dream come true, i jumped to grab it, he got it regsiterd here at chnadigarh, and the present registration from chandigarh, but the bus has the canada plate till 97 too, it has two pare wheels and all 6 tyres made by bf goodrich made in canada, and is 40K kms with the new engine, runs very well and was never restored,
Hi Inderpal,

As you have mentioned, it seems that the tyres are 12 years old.
If I may suggest, you may keep them but please do not run them "Bindass". There is a good chance that they may, well, blow. Please keep that in mind.
Happy camping! Love your camper, they are a symbol of a past era.

Cheers harit
Old 16th August 2009, 01:38   #323
Senior - BHPian

Inder Pal Ji-very nice knowing the history of your bus.Seems to have travelled all over the world.This is a thing you sould keep always.cheers and happy driving
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:14   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Fired up the ol' scanner.

This Beetle would be seen pottering around Pune, not seen it in a while though.

Classic Volkswagens in India-scan0008.jpg
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:29   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Dug out some more today.

This white bug was spotted somewhere along the way from Pune to Goa, picture is dated May 92.

Classic Volkswagens in India-scan0004.jpg

This car was frequently seen in Pune, but I have not seen it in a while. Apparently someone got the car as a birthday gift.

Classic Volkswagens in India-scan0005.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-scan0006.jpg

Photo'd in the summer of 96.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:27   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This car was frequently seen in Pune, but I have not seen it in a while. Apparently someone got the car as a birthday gift.
Wish I would have been lucky enough, though I did got a 1:18 scale model of the split window as a birthday present.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:04   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

This 1966 (?) Beetle and dukkar Fiat were spotted in Pondicherry.

Classic Volkswagens in India-000.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-001.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: 1958 "Dukkar" Fiat and the Volkswagen Beetle
Old 24th August 2009, 22:07   #328
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this VW Van near leela palace bangalore (been standing like this for couple of months)

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04234.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04235.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04236.jpg
Old 25th August 2009, 15:18   #329
Senior - BHPian

Last night on the way to the airport from the Ulsoor area I saw a orange coloured Beetle parked on the street opposite to a huge arched gate.

Any idea who's it is, looked in good shape too.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:44   #330
BHPian

Just bought a 1971 Baywindow. Originally imported into India by Redcross - Kolkatta. It is in a decent shape with lots of Originial parts still intact. Was in storage for few years and getting the engine tuned up at the moment.

Ordered for a Birthcertificate too from the Stiftung museum in Germany and thought I will share with all of you as it makes a very interesting read and was impressed with the Accessories which came with the Type "27" which means Ambulance as per as coding of Volkswagen. Hope you folks enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-vehicle-identity-certificate642.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks