Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 12:40   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Finaly BLB 460 is painted and back on the road hopefully it will be used this time instead of being stored in a warehouse till the point she looses her orignal paint/intact body warrenting this repaint! That color is not to my taste rater like the red was in before
Actually BLB 460 has been orange for a few years now. This is the second orange paint job recently done.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:25   #422
BANNED

This Beauty of a Bug just entered Bangalore Beetle Club.

This is supposed to be 1 owner car from the time it came out of the factory.

Runs on 1100 cc engine
Left Hand Drive
All original bits

While i would love to have him replace the tail lights, and go back to original one sometime soon.

Belongs to one Mr Nagappa ( Stumpp Scheule and Somappa Co.,- Bengaluru)

He's 74 yrs young, lots of love for his Beetle, while he can also boast of 100 times more expensive cars in his parking lot. Yet Beetle is is main centric love

He painstakingly re-restored this Oval bug recently and gave it a fresh lease of life, must say it looks fab.

Also i admire and appreciate his spirits. At his age, he drove his Bug for almost 20 kms amidst Bangalore traffic on a Hot Sunny Sunday afternoon. That was for the Beetle Club Rally held recently. 3 cheers for his spirit.

Some pics of his car.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-p061209_10.32.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p061209_10.33.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p061209_10.32_01.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p061209_10.33_01.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th December 2009 at 22:34.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:06   #423
Team-BHP Support

Mr Nagappa's beetle appears after a gap of over 10 years. It used to be a darker blue. His son was a schoolmate of mine, He lives opposite my mother and I used to see this car in regular use till early 90's. This car has only started to be used over the past month. I figured this car looked familiar annd now you mention it, the original single red lights have been replaced as also a lighter shade.

I don't think he has any other exotic cars - although wealthy, they have been pretty conservative car wise.
Old 9th December 2009, 03:29   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a freshly done up 74 Super Beetle cabrio.
The car looks nice overall but by looking at the pics i found two things which are not original in this car first being the frame for the hood attached to the body and the second being the badge on the hood.I'm attaching a pic of a 1974 beetle cabrio and have marked out the things i am talking about.

I also have a doubt about the insdicators on the fendors of this car but not sure because there are some cars with them and some without so need to find that one out.

Classic Volkswagens in India-001.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-004.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-vw74cab.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-vw_74_beetle_1600_cabriolet_red_sf111.jpg

source for images- (http://www.vea.qc.ca/vea/v/vw74cab.jpg
&
http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/VW_74_Bee..._Red_sf111.jpg)

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 9th December 2009 at 03:32.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:14   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This Beauty of a Bug just entered Bangalore Beetle Club.
This is supposed to be 1 owner car from the time it came out of the factory.
Belongs to one Mr Nagappa ( Stumpp Scheule and Somappa Co.,- Bengaluru)
That is one C-L-E-A-N Bug! No doubt she has had a good history. While there are a couple of things not period correct, I think the only things that really should be changed are the tail lights and number plate light - everything else is minor. I assume she is 56 or 57 as she has dual tail pipes. Thumbs up for still going strong!

EDIT - he must lose the current LHD sticker though.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th December 2009 at 10:18.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:06   #426
Senior - BHPian

That badge in front is the Wolfsburg crest and is an original fitment on that car and so are the indiators on the front fenders.

The frame you have asked about is the frame for the side glasses not the roof and that too is original.

Not sure if those tail light are period correct but they are also VW lights.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:46   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That badge in front is the Wolfsburg crest and is an original fitment on that car and so are the indiators on the front fenders.
The Wolfsburg crest was factory fitted I think upto 62 or so. While it was not OE to this particular car, I think its a cool looking accessory and does not detract in any way.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:09   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The frame you have asked about is the frame for the side glasses not the roof and that too is original.

sorry wasif, you are wrong,the badge just above the hood lock did not came only in pre67 bugs.the turn signal indicators were there but it underwent changes in course of time
The tail light assy in this case is an ''elephant foot ''I have to check whether this particular model came with ''tomb stone'' light assy or the former.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:35   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No wasif they are not.Look at the pics i have uploaded.The frame is for the hood because the hoot is supported by that frame.Have another look at the pics i have uploaded.See look at the portion where the behind the front doors in the three pics uploaded by me none of the cars have that.And apart from that there is no glass in the first place to have a frame for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
sorry wasif, you are wrong,the badge just above the hood lock did not came only in pre67 bugs.the turn signal indicators were there but it underwent changes in course of time
The tail light assy in this case is an ''elephant foot ''I have to check whether this particular model came with ''tomb stone'' light assy or the former.
The lights are correct on this particular car.The 1974 model cars came with the Big tail lamps.Have a look at the pic below.

Classic Volkswagens in India-800px20050917_vw_1303_cabriolet_karmann.jpg

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 9th December 2009 at 14:37.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:48   #430
BHPian

There were two variations of the Wolfsburg crest used on the Beetle - one in blue from 1951-59 and this type in black from 1960 to 62. Discontinued after '62 it was again used for a final hurrah in the last batch of Beetles produced in Mexico in 2003, the batch was called the Ultimate Edition Beetle, if I recollect correctly (all of the above, i.e.).

The Elephant's Feet taillight, also called by other monikers (many of us also referred to it as the Bikini type, back then) was introduced in 1973. And all the 1303s (I meant 1303 in plural and not the 1303S, which was the 1600cc) featured it. So the taillight is absolutely correct since this is a 1303 cabrio. As is the front fender indicator lamp, since it's a RHD. American cars had the larger ones (called Californian type), and I think they moved down into the bumpers from late 1974 or '75.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:51   #431
Senior - BHPian

karl that previous orange was a bit dark almost red was it not? One of the dificult to be exact of orange red shades? Is it still with the bandra/bandstand/mountmerry exporter or changed hands?
Old 9th December 2009, 15:33   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
No wasif they are not.Look at the pics i have uploaded.The frame is for the hood because the hoot is supported by that frame.Have another look at the pics i have uploaded.See look at the portion where the behind the front doors in the three pics uploaded by me none of the cars have that.And apart from that there is no glass in the first place to have a frame for it.

The lights are correct on this particular car.The 1974 model cars came with the Big tail lamps.Have a look at the pic below.

Attachment 242268
Boss

Take a closer look at the pic of the green bug you posted .

You will see what you are refering to as a "frame" is actually the surround on the window glass that winds up and down.

Also look at the orange bug closely and you will see the convertible top is mounted on a black frame that will sit on top of the rolled up windows to provide a watertight seal to keep out rain and stuff.

With regards to the Wolsfburg crest i meant that it is an OE fitment. Not an expert on the Bugs and don't know when it was dicontinued. What it means is that is very much an acceptable badge to have on that car. maybe a Ford badge would have looked a bit odd there but not this.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:11   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
it was again used for a final hurrah in the last batch of Beetles produced in Mexico in 2003, the batch was called the Ultimate Edition Beetle, if I recollect correctly (all of the above, i.e.).

The Elephant's Feet taillight, also called by other monikers (many of us also referred to it as the Bikini type, back then) was introduced in 1973.
Oh yes, I forgot about the Ultima Edicion - that also featured white wall tyres - possibly the last production car to sport them?

Er - and what part of the tail light looks like a bikini? Am I missing something?

Quote:
karl that previous orange was a bit dark almost red was it not? One of the dificult to be exact of orange red shades? Is it still with the bandra/bandstand/mountmerry exporter or changed hands?
The previous orange was slightly darker than the current, but certainly not to be confused with red. Maybe that was a much older job. The owner's name is Shetty, I do not have any more details, but he does have some more interesting cars I'm told.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:27   #434
Senior - BHPian

Yes same shetty "more interesting cars"? He has some modern mercs (211 & 124) unless he got some new additions. The collector is the other bandra guy with similar cabrio (wine red metalic) having a storage showroom in washi you are not confusing them are you?
Old 9th December 2009, 16:36   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes same shetty "more interesting cars"? He has some modern mercs (211 & 124) unless he got some new additions. The collector is the other bandra guy with similar cabrio (wine red metalic) having a storage showroom in washi you are not confusing them are you?
Nope, not confusing the two. I believe there are a couple more VWs and an 80s Rolls giving company to the orange car, if not any more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks